Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

Is this worth sticking with?

I tried the first episode but the casting choices left a lot to desire - they don't match how the characters felt in the books and that bothers me :(

The first two episodes are a bit slow, but I thought episodes 3 and 4 were great. I read the books and thought the casting was pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The casting is pretty much perfect and people who think otherwise just, I don't know, didn't read the books closely enough?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I just got the impression from the books that James Holden was a bit more grizzled and cynical and Detective Miller was a crumpled space Columbo.

I'll give it a second look.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Casting not matching what's in your head happens with every show because everyone fills in the gaps not detailed in the book in their own way. Has been happening with me ever since Jurassic Park. If that's your only issue you should still give it a chance, eventually your brain will get past it if the rest of the show is good.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I think regardless of how you saw the characters in the books, you should definitely give the show at least a couple episodes, and judge it on its own merits. It's never going to be a 100% adaptation for everyone, because everyone sees the books differently in their heads, but the spirit and the depth of the world-building are still present, and it's looking like it's going to be pretty great as a standalone series for people who still haven't read the books.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0zac posted:

Casting not matching what's in your head happens with every show because everyone fills in the gaps not detailed in the book in their own way. Has been happening with me ever since Jurassic Park. If that's your only issue you should still give it a chance, eventually your brain will get past it if the rest of the show is good.

Yeah, the "how I saw them in head" doesn't match. But the characterization is spot on. For instance, Amos doesn't look at all like I imagined he would, but the show absolutely captures his character.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

flosofl posted:

Yeah, the "how I saw them in head" doesn't match. But the characterization is spot on. For instance, Amos doesn't look at all like I imagined he would, but the show absolutely captures his character.

He looks like Turtle from Entourage. Not intimidating at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Like on cue.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This thread makes me glad I've never seen Entourage because it seems to ruin the whole show?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CowboyKid posted:

I'm sorry you can't separate actors from the characters they play. It must suck for a lot of TV shows and movies. Did you watch Bladerunner wondering when Chewbacca was going to show up?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
In the books he was described as a big, burly, and bald guy with a disarming grin but cold eyes. I kept picturing him as a younger version of the wrestler Big Show. That being said, the TV cast are starting to grow on me, so as long as they don't completely screw up Bobbie by making her another small blond white woman I'll probably be happy. Not too many 6'6" polynesian actresses out there that I've heard of.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

flosofl posted:

I'm sorry you can't separate actors from the characters they play. It must suck for a lot of TV shows and movies. Did you watch Bladerunner wondering when Chewbacca was going to show up?

How did you miss her? Sean Young is in a bunch of the movie

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I couldn't get behind the actor cast as Holden until they showed his broadcast being aired on Ceres. I'm not sure why but somehow seeing him out of context made it all click for me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

I liked the antenna bit in which he told Holden he would throw him off into space but Naomi wanted to keep Holden around a bit longer.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 29, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tiggum posted:

She's definitely the best character. I loved that scene where the friend is recounting the story of the poker game, and you can see that she's sorry to have lost his friendship, but would absolutely do the same thing again every time. I wouldn't characterise it as being about politics though, she clearly believes that she's acting for the greater good for everyone, and that's why she was willing to sacrifice her friend.

The ambassador also had the most amazing line. It went something like "Everyone on Mars works together to make a better future, a better planet. Here we were given a garden and we paved over it."

drat if that was real life that little speech would have made me a die-hard Martian as well.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

In the books he was described as a big, burly, and bald guy with a disarming grin but cold eyes. I kept picturing him as a younger version of the wrestler Big Show. That being said, the TV cast are starting to grow on me, so as long as they don't completely screw up Bobbie by making her another small blond white woman I'll probably be happy. Not too many 6'6" polynesian actresses out there that I've heard of.

Back when they were still casting the original group, people on the writers' blog were posting their dream actresses for Bobbie in the comments, and a lot were asking for Katee Sackhoff. The writers shot that down pretty vehemently for exactly that 'small white blonde woman' reason, so I've got high hopes they'll do the character justice. Again, she won't be straight out of the book, but the spirit will be there. I just can't wait :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The Muffinlord posted:

Laverne Cox :getin:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CowboyKid posted:

Amos isn't intimidating, though - not until he gets violent. And he is alway described as amiable and baby-faced.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

I'd get behind this, even though I don't think she's Polynesian.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Amos isn't intimidating, though - not until he gets violent. And he is alway described as amiable and baby-faced.

Several people said the exact same thing the other three times he's posted that comment. Don't waste your time, brother.

The Muffinlord posted:

I'd get behind this, even though I don't think she's Polynesian.

This would be a creative decision I could live with, but then again I'd watch Laverne read from the phone book. It'd be cool if this show ends up being a break-out role for some unknown Polynesian actress, though.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 30, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

etalian posted:

I liked the antenna bit in which he told Holden he would throw him off into space but Naomi wanted to keep Holden around a bit longer.

Could you pass me the drill?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You dumb assholes just lost your right to complain about CowboyKid.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Wrong thread.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 30, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

The Muffinlord posted:

I second this posters sentiments. Bobbie will be a massive disappointment no matter what though. :smith:

Also, :frogsiren:SPACE MORMONS!:frogsiren: The horror! The horror! :froggonk:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Still waiting for Space mormon comedy club

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Only problem with the Mormon comedy hour of power was that I had to explain to three separate people I recommended the show to why the Captain Shadid bit was funny. The audio feed on Space's episodes was so bad none of them picked up that Shadid was the name of Lola Glaudini's character.

edit: aired episodes, not online

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CowboyKid posted:

All I see when I look at him is Tyrol from Galactica's kid brother.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KatWithHands posted:

Only problem with the Mormon comedy hour of power was that I had to explain to three separate people I recommended the show to why the Captain Shadid bit was funny. The audio feed on Space's episodes was so bad none of them picked up that Shadid was the name of Lola Glaudini's character.

The only way I know any of the character names is from this thread, and even now I only know a couple. It doesn't seem to be a problem, because people haven't been referring to off-screen characters by name much, but there are a lot of characters and the show really doesn't do much to help you learn their names.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

KatWithHands posted:

Wait, did they air that episode early on tv or something? I thought that was tomorrow's episode.

edit: Yeah, SyFy says that's tomorrow's ep, so I really hope no one's hopped on here before then that hasn't already seen the episode. Come on, guys. You can spoiler that poo poo for one more day.

I have no idea how you can be excited for episode 4, worried about spoilers, but can't find your way to syfy.com to just instantly watch it.

I'd be more concerned about book spoilers, which people have already started chucking in this thread without even spoiler tags.

This thread is going to become a GoT style nightmare shortly for non book readers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Maybe people should just read the books?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

wooger posted:

I have no idea how you can be excited for episode 4, worried about spoilers, but can't find your way to syfy.com to just instantly watch it.

I'd be more concerned about book spoilers, which people have already started chucking in this thread without even spoiler tags.

This thread is going to become a GoT style nightmare shortly for non book readers.

The problem at the time was that syfy.com is region-blocked, and not everyone had a legal alternative and could or would pirate it. The book spoilers were bad enough on their own for people coming in fresh without getting it from both sides. Now that we're all on the same page, episode-wise, it should at least be less of a minefield for new people. Just trying to find a way to keep everyone happy, you know?

But yeah, seriously, let's keep the book chat in the book thread, and tag your show speculation accordingly here. We had a couple good pages after we figured we could self-govern, let's keep that up!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tiggum posted:

I must have missed this. What are you talking about?
Referring to the scene in the pilot when Julie breaks out of her chamber and then cuts into the reactor core. In the book, it's basiclaly a gigantic sludge of mutated guts, bone, and the occasionally recognizably human form half-grown and gibbering. It would be hard to do without going full-gorefest for that scene and it might have upset some viewers who hadn't read the book.

I liked the glimmery blue sludge though personally, it gives it more of an alien and mysterious air than a "holy hell that's a lot of Akira-looking gross stuff", and the blue color is a nice nod to what happens in the future with certain climactic scenes the liftoff into space for the alien thingy and later-series Miller, I'm pretty sure there's goin gto be a heck of a lot of glowy blue stuff happening sooner or later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

coyo7e posted:

Referring to the scene in the pilot when Julie breaks out of her chamber and then cuts into the reactor core. In the book, it's basiclaly a gigantic sludge of mutated guts, bone, and the occasionally recognizably human form half-grown and gibbering. It would be hard to do without going full-gorefest for that scene and it might have upset some viewers who hadn't read the book.

I liked the glimmery blue sludge though personally, it gives it more of an alien and mysterious air than a "holy hell that's a lot of Akira-looking gross stuff", and the blue color is a nice nod to what happens in the future with certain climactic scenes the liftoff into space for the alien thingy and later-series Miller, I'm pretty sure there's goin gto be a heck of a lot of glowy blue stuff happening sooner or later.

Was that the bit right at the very start with the floaty-haired woman? (I know it was zero gravity, it just that the only thing I remember about that scene was that the floaty hair looked cool). I didn't really get what was happening there, and I don't know who the woman was or how she (or wherever she was) related to anything we've seen since. :confused:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Was that the bit right at the very start with the floaty-haired woman? (I know it was zero gravity, it just that the only thing I remember about that scene was that the floaty hair looked cool). I didn't really get what was happening there, and I don't know who the woman was or how she (or wherever she was) related to anything we've seen since. :confused:

Yeah, floaty-haired woman at the beginning is the girl Miller was hired to find. The ship she was on was the one the Canterbury came to check out, but it was empty when they found it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tiggum posted:

Yup. That's Julie something-something Mao, idealistic rebellious rich girl who doesn't appreciate how shady her daddy acts, and who Miller (the cop) was temporarily assigned to comb the space station to find. She's the crux of how almost everything eventually ties and brings everybody together, despite nothing being her fault, she was just kinda caught up in the middle and is basically the macguffin for half the characters. I won't spoil most of those traits because that's just what you find out when nMiller goes through her emails and dating profile. Also, she likes racing.

Also she has some wicked rad spy/military impants and skills which we'll never see her use past kicking that steel door down and using a cutter on the other, but it runs in the family.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 30, 2015

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
For Tiggum and anyone else who's not sure about the beginning or forgot about it and is just sorta going with the flow at this point, the show has explained so far that the girl at the beginning was Julie Mao on the Scopuli, which was off the shipping lanes when it was breached and boarded by presumably the same stealth ships that blew up the Cant. Throughout whatever happened, Julie was in the locker, and when she broke out, the crew and boarders were all gone. Then she found the glowing blue horror ball with the torso sticking out of it, and some time between then and the Canterbury receiving her distress signal, she might (??) have made her escape (what with Miller waxing poetic about her being a survivor and all). At the very least, they didn't come across her body while searching the ship, and they must not have made it to the area with the horror ball.

The rest is still a mystery.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Yup. That's Julie something-something Mao, idealistic rebellious rich girl who doesn't appreciate how shady her daddy acts, and who Miller (the cop) was temporarily assigned to comb the space station to find. She's the crux of how almost everything eventually ties and brings everybody together, despite nothing being her fault, she was just kinda caught up in the middle and is basically the macguffin for half the characters. I won't spoil most of those traits because that's just what you find out when nMiller goes through her emails and dating profile. Also, she likes racing.

Also she has some wicked rad spy/military impants and skills which we'll never see her use past kicking that steel door down and using a cutter on the other, but it runs in the family.

Book spoiler: Wasn't that just her sister? Or did she have them too?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked the bit when Miller finished washing his hair after he broke into Mao's apartment.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

flosofl posted:

Book spoiler: Wasn't that just her sister? Or did she have them too?

That's correct. Clarissa, Julie's little sister got the mods done so she could go after Holden's crew, as they were responsible for landing her sociopath daddy in Space Gitmo. Julie didn't have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
After finishing all 4 (thanks for streaming Syfy) I'm a fan, flaws and all. I hope they keep this up. I really like how they portray life on Ceres. Reminds me of early Bruce Sterling stories.

Since Syfy managed to make a show that is actually Science Fiction and is good I figured the books must be even better so I just got the first three. I guess I am going to spoil the poo poo out of the show but so be it.

• Locked thread