Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Droids will do jobs even the Wookies won't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yaws posted:

This forum is so refreshing after spending the last 20 minutes reading the IMDB message boards for this movie. They loving hate it. Which is totally fine but they just regurgitate the same tired points over and over again.

The best thing about the IMDB message board for this film is the massive discussion about how the high rating the movie has is OBVIOUSLY FALSIFIED because there's no way that a lot of people could possibly like the movie.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
How come you never hear anything about droid-on-human crime, huh?

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Effectronica posted:

Nah. Jedi powers aren't anything special, if we go by the Alan Dean Foster novelization (and all the OT novelizations were based on script drafts and backstory materials). All kinds of people can use them instinctively, as charlatans or sorcerers of various kinds. What is unique about the Jedi is their religious beliefs about a "universal energy field controlling [people's] destiny", which is what Solo takes exception to, and which would have easily been up for debate just like real-world religious beliefs.

The weirdo cult of Force Wizards was literally no match for clone troopers with blasters so he was perfectly correct in technological marvels winning out over ancient religion

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

rockopete posted:

Likewise. That moment is a great example of why the movie just works for me, despite some flaws. I had a big stupid grin on my face for half of the film cause of moments like this.

I love the moments that Rey and Fin are all :syoon: about Jedis and smugglers and stuff. Particularly Fin, who you can obviously tell had been sheltered his whole life.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Wouldn't a famous smuggler make for a pretty poor smuggler?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Frackie Robinson posted:

The trick is being famous only in the circles of people you want to hire you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Frackie Robinson posted:

That's why he's moved on to defaulting on loans. Eventually, he'll move to securities space-fraud.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Frackie Robinson posted:

No space cop with rebellion sympathies is going to search Han Solo's ride.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Effectronica posted:

That's why he's moved on to defaulting on loans. Eventually, he'll move to securities space-fraud.

He should try being one of those celebrities who appears in commercials trying to push reverse mortgages on seniors. Put his fame to work for him.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

He should try being one of those celebrities who appears in commercials trying to push reverse mortgages on seniors. Put his fame to work for him.

If you listen to space XM radio while cruising the hyperspace lanes, Han Solo tries to sell you cash for gold and an imperial tax service that works for you, the space trucker

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Effectronica posted:

How come you never hear anything about droid-on-human crime, huh?

I seem to recall the thing second from the left trying to kill me in a video game.
e: second from the left not counting Vader obvs
e2: it's not hard for Fett to be the cool one when this is the company he keeps

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So the new reason to think Star Wars is bad is because Ridley and Boyega probably made around $100,000 for it and it's exploitation.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They also get cuts once it makes anything over $1B, and they have set bumps for their salaries that will occur with each new film they are in.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

I seem to recall the thing second from the left trying to kill me in a video game.
e: second from the left not counting Vader obvs
e2: it's not hard for Fett to be the cool one when this is the company he keeps

Bug-Head C-3PO owns. Dude must be seriously skilled if he's good enough to be on Darth Vader's speed dial despite possessing a body whose limbs can't bend at the joints more than a few degrees.

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of success this guy would have had if he'd struck out on his own....

Probably would've been an unstoppable killing machine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Yes...Han Solo, noted Jedi skeptic, has a Jedi training tool laying around his freighter. Makes perfect sense.

It doesn't, but it could have if Lucas didn't decide to put that poo poo in the prequels.

According to Wookipedia and some lame book, the previous Falcon owner left it there. No one could even be bothered to recon that Obi-Wan brought it with him. It was just....always there.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is TFA the first movie to feature a beholder-type monster?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It doesn't, but it could have if Lucas didn't decide to put that poo poo in the prequels.

According to Wookipedia and some lame book, the previous Falcon owner left it there. No one could even be bothered to recon that Obi-Wan brought it with him. It was just....always there.

I can actually buy that since the Falcon is basically a space RV(which Space Balls got spot on) and has passed through a bunch of hands. Like I saw TFA again tonight and was thinking about how weird it was that a drat holo chess set is immediately behind the cockpit. Like who even installed that?

Plus gotta agree with the people saying it's not a Jedi specific thing. Like I'm sure other people can find use for a drone that hovers around shooting lasers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The drone could be a dope game. But that helmet has no business existing other it being a Jedi thing. That helmet is baffling and the only part of Star Wars that takes me out of it for a second. (which is good because it's such a minor nit.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Krowley posted:

likely due to the massive galaxy-spanning hypnosis machine that wiped out all memory of the prolific jedi knights who just 20-30 years prior to the events in the original movies served as peace keepers and diplomats throughout republic space

I always interpreted this as being due to the entirety of the OT taking place in the Outer Rim, where Jedi might not ever visit, so a guy like Han might be well-traveled enough to have heard stories of the Jedi, but nothing for sure. Remember that, so far as we can tell, the Star Wars universe lacks any kind of mass media whatsoever, at least past the core worlds. All the way out in the Outer Rim, rumours and legends would be all there would be to the Jedi. In the PT Jedi are ubiquitous, but only because we're seeing the core systems and people in the upper echelons of power, who would obviously be very familiar with the Jedi.

Guy A. Person posted:

Plus gotta agree with the people saying it's not a Jedi specific thing. Like I'm sure other people can find use for a drone that hovers around shooting lasers.

It's probably an anti-theft device, to make any would-be shipjacker cut their losses and run.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Really enjoying this multi page discussion about where the guy who smuggled cthulhus for money in space found one weird piece of bric a brac that's basically Travel Uno In space.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Luigi Thirty posted:

So the new reason to think Star Wars is bad is because Ridley and Boyega probably made around $100,000 for it and it's exploitation.

I heard $450.000 and gross participation. Not a bad deal for two newcomers.

Also their salary will rise for the next episodes.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The drone could be a dope game. But that helmet has no business existing other it being a Jedi thing. That helmet is baffling and the only part of Star Wars that takes me out of it for a second. (which is good because it's such a minor nit.

It's a pilot helmet with a protective visor

Taking ANH at face value, it's kinda obvious that these things are just toys and spaceship equipment used as makeshift jedi training tools

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hollywood actors should really form a union or something!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Really enjoying this multi page discussion about where the guy who smuggled cthulhus for money in space found one weird piece of bric a brac that's basically Travel Uno In space.

You're right, let's go back to talking about how Ren is a wuss and Rey is too good at fighting (for a girl)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

It's a combat helmet with a blast shield. It's completely different from what the Younglings wear, which are clearly helmets specifically designed to obstruct their vision.

It makes it even more clear that Obi-Wan is, indeed, improvising with whatever he can find on hand.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That helmet has no functional use. Why would a helmet have a blast shield you can't see out of? That doesn't seem very safe.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

That helmet has no functional use. Why would a helmet have a blast shield you can't see out of? That doesn't seem very safe.

Maybe it's like a sleep mask? After a whole day of flying and shooting, you put on a blast shield and take a nap.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CelticPredator posted:

While it was probably not intentional in ANH, because ANH was made in '77, I can easily see something like that making sense with a HUD screen or some poo poo.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe it doubles as a welding helmet?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

When I was a kid I just assumed it was dirty on the inside.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You put that down when explosions happen near your face, duh

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's obviously a helmet made for races who don't need eyes to see. :colbert:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

CelticPredator posted:

When Luke puts it on the first thing he says is "I can't see with the blast shield down" implying that the helmet can also be worn with the shield up and out of the way.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Well clearly The helmet itself was one of the surviving prototypes to a failed specialized blast shield helmet for the Ividal Sector Forces' Z-95 starfighters meant for protection against plasma warheads, left behind accidentally by a former disgruntled member of the group's Foxfire Squadron on the Millennium Falcon, back when it was known as the Stellar Envoy. Duh.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think that Rey has such great and terrible powers this early in the story is an interesting point in itself. She's everything Luke wanted to be back before he truly walked on the light side of the Force and strongly resembles alot of peoples' fan theories on how Anakin 'should' have been done; a charismatic natural ace with a righteous streak (which would have led to his own undoing). Especially with Finn's role as placing him as the more ethically driven, genuinely good person, it'll be interesting to see where they take her in the sequels

The next one will end on a cliffhanger of her becoming Snoke's apprentice and the last one is all about Finn, Luke and Kylo (who's been long gaming for Luke all along) trying to convince her to come back. She kills them all, rules the galaxy with a firm but fair fist and makes Child Abandonment the most heavily punished crime in history, with deadbeat dads frozen in carbonate and thrown into Sarlaccs on a daily basis.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hollywood actors should really form a union or something!

I thought the whole reason so many british actors are in Hollywood these days is exactly because they're willing to work for less and are implicitly scabbing unionised american actors?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought the whole reason so many british actors are in Hollywood these days is exactly because they're willing to work for less and are implicitly scabbing unionised american actors?

That is the first I have ever heard of this. And the thought is absolutely loving stupid.

There has always been british actors in Hollywood. And actors are hired for the marketability, with that, their salary goes up, no matter where they are from.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Awakens isn't good because it doesn't tell the story visually. That's something that Star Wars had never previously failed at.

The entire movie is about 'finding Luke', but the film does not establish who Luke is, what he stands for, (and so-on) except through expository dialogue. The flashback scene was so vague that I had initially assumed it was a premonition. 'Only Luke can bring balance to the force' - why? Wasn't the force 'balanced' in the previous film?

Like, we can look at it backwards and say that Luke's absence is the cause of the 'imbalance' - but that absence was actually caused by Ren literally stabbing everyone in the back. And he's doing that because his parents divorced or something? Did the New Order arise because Luke left, or did Luke leave because they rose up? That's a very important distinction.

The guy stabbed in the back is wearing a Jedi Training Hat suspiciously similar to the ones in Attack of the Clones. Doesn't this indicate that Luke has learned nothing at all? That, like Snoke, he is a trumped-up hologram?

Ultimately we're getting into the question of where a (quasi-)fascist organization even comes from. And that's something this film does not even remotely explain. Fascism isn't something that just spontaneously appears; it's always a response to various financial crises, class conflicts, etc. Luke and the gang tried to restore the Republic to a utopian form, but did nothing about the capitalism - so of course that contradiction would result in the emergence of a dork like Hux. That's what the prequels are all about.

So, implicitly, the prequels 'fill in the gap' between Episode 6 and 7 and loosely explain what went wrong. But also, implicitly, we're to ignore what the prequels actually said about Vader as revolutionary - that Luke ultimately failed and had to be rescued. Everyone is now searching for Luke, and we're expected to care, but Luke was just some guy.

Leia is trying to restore the monarchy (we're told, not shown) while Han is trying to sell doomsday-weapon shoggoths to King Starwarsname. Isn't this precisely what Ren is against in his rejection of his parents? We have the idealism of the Republic with their president-kings, and the obscene underside where Han's gets a bunch of his employees killed (we're told, not shown)(!) in a get-rich-quick scheme/arms deal that ultimately benefits those same leaders.

These are just a few examples. Expository dialogue tells us Finn was stolen from his family or something. This is never visualized. The republic? Nope. Kylo's identity is presented, visually, as a twist - there is almost no visual indication that Han is his father until the big scene - but expository dialogue tells us right away, leading me to suspect reshoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Leia is trying to restore the monarchy (we're told, not shown) while Han is trying to sell doomsday-weapon shoggoths to King Starwarsname. Isn't this precisely what Ren is against in his rejection of his parents? We have the idealism of the Republic with their president-kings, and the obscene underside where Han's gets a bunch of his employees killed (we're told, not shown)(!) in a get-rich-quick scheme/arms deal that ultimately benefits those same leaders.

When does Leia ever try to "restore the monarchy"? She pretty clearly has completely replaced the title "princess" with "general"

• Locked thread