Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Yeah I will, I just wonder if there's anything I should definitely keep an eye out for. The car is in another state so the PPI will have to be done long distance before I decide to fly all the way out there and buy the car. It would be good to be able to tell a mechanic "Please keep an eye out for X and Y" if I can't find one who specializes in BMWs.

I do already know that the 135i had some problems with the fuel pump, but from what I can tell that doesn't apply to the 128i. Consumer Reports gave high marks for reliability for the 2013 MY :j:

If it sounds like I am looking for a good practical justification for buying this German car with expensive parts over a sensible Mazda then...you are probably right. But I don't want to be the goon in the well either, so I wanted to ask some experts before committing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Should be able to find a shop that deals with German makes to do a PPI. I dunno if I'd get someone who is not familiar with the make to check it for things that could be missed by someone who doesn't know exactly what to look for. And since you know it was in a wreck/fender bender, tell them and ask they check that part of the vehicle out closely.

And yeah, on a car that age and mileage, you're basically looking at higher prices for maintenance in the short term, and if you end up keeping it for several years, plan on spending a bit more than you would on a Japanese commuter car due to the focus on preventative maintenance rather than reacting to things that go wrong.

Aside from that, if you can afford the car but a $1k - $1.5k repair bill will break you, you might reconsider. Hell of a fun car though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFeiMKsDpcE

Does anyone know anything about this E30? Looking for still pictures or a build thread (doubt it exists).

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhuite posted:

Unless you have actual proof that within the last 50,000km it's had the following done, then make sure they're replaced;

Required:
Radiator, cap & hoses
Expansion tank * hoses
Thermostat & housing
Water pump (composite impellor)
2-3 quarts of coolant

Optional, but recommended:
Coolant temp sensor
Coolant level sensor
Fan clutch

Check the brakes, filters and fluids, might be a good idea to plan on a full service. Then you should think about suspension bushings front and rear, transmission mounts and if you're getting heavy vibrations at idle maybe engine mounts as well. If there's grinding when you're turning then your Power Steering pump could be on its way out, plan on replacing that too.

Well you have again given me a bunch of information, thank you. But also reminded me why I sometimes hate cars. I think instead of this car I'll just go to the ask thread and see what kind of car they recommend for me considering my lack of car mechanical experience and immediate finances.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Seat occupancy sensor trip report: gently caress this poo poo, the seat sensor defaults of inactive until coded by the dealer. Guess my wife is riding in the backseat until I get that done.

Doing the replacement work wasn't awful, due to using zip ties instead of the hog rings I removed. Really a two person job though, that fucker is heavy and awkward to remove from the car.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Blue Scream posted:

If it sounds like I am looking for a good practical justification for buying this German car with expensive parts over a sensible Mazda then...you are probably right.

If you're waffling between a BMW and a sensible car because the BMW is more fun to drive, then please don't squander the experience by getting a loving automatic. If you want an automatic, just buy a Prius or a Civic or something. If you have four limbs and a brain, you can drive stick. You'll thank me later.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

ColdPie posted:

If you're waffling between a BMW and a sensible car because the BMW is more fun to drive, then please don't squander the experience by getting a loving automatic. If you want an automatic, just buy a Prius or a Civic or something. If you have four limbs and a brain, you can drive stick. You'll thank me later.

To each his own. I've owned a Wrangler, Impreza, and Accord, all standard transmission, before buying my automatic a few weeks ago. I'll buy another some point in the future I'm sure, but many factors went into the buying decision and am not missing the third pedal at all. Just tell everyone to buy a ZX6-R or other race replica equivalent as driving a car is squandering the true gearhead experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I've been considering how much time I could shave off at streets of willow if I had paddles. I suck at heel-toe and high speed downshifting in general. I'm sure more practice would make me better at it, but paddles would eliminate it altogether.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went with DCT on the M4 out of fear of a money shift, but I've found that I miss a real manual.

If you can move between cars relatively easily I'd suggest giving it a try.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Jealous Cow posted:

I went with DCT on the M4 out of fear of a money shift, but I've found that I miss a real manual.

If you can move between cars relatively easily I'd suggest giving it a try.

Rip your m4

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Hmm, went to start my E46 a minute ago and it won't crank/turn over. Lights are on, I hear a "chunk chunk chunk" as if the starter wants to go and the lights all flash but it doesn't do much else.

Battery, EWS or starter first? I've noticed a low idle recently too, which could be indicative of something. Anyone had this.

Cthulhuite fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 28, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I had that two separate times on my e46. Once was the starter and once was the alternator, which had caused the battery also to go bad. If you're handy with a multimeter you can google guides on diagnosing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ColdPie posted:

Just buy what you want to buy. If anyone tells you that you did it wrong they can pony up the cash to buy you the correct car.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Any suggestions on a battery tender? (Other than hurrr drive your car.) I know there are probably a zillion cheap chinese burn-your-house-down tenders. E89 2009 Z4.

The car isn't getting as much use as it should, and that is going to drop even further when our baby arrives. Any other preventative measures I should take?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

H110Hawk posted:

Any suggestions on a battery tender? (Other than hurrr drive your car.) I know there are probably a zillion cheap chinese burn-your-house-down tenders. E89 2009 Z4.

The car isn't getting as much use as it should, and that is going to drop even further when our baby arrives. Any other preventative measures I should take?

I have several Battery Tender Juniors (http://amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S) and they've kept everything topped off without burning down the house. A little stabil in the tank might be worth it but I've never used it and everything fires up fine in the spring after sitting for several months. If it's going to be parked for a while pump the tires up a bit higher than normal (~40 psi) to reduce flat spotting. Toss a car cover on it if you'd like and maybe some dryer sheets (change monthly) to deter rodents.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Costco sells one by that brand, I have one and it's been good for the few months I've been using it. Lifetime returns on almost everything sold at Costco.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have several Battery Tender Juniors (http://amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S) and they've kept everything topped off without burning down the house. A little stabil in the tank might be worth it but I've never used it and everything fires up fine in the spring after sitting for several months. If it's going to be parked for a while pump the tires up a bit higher than normal (~40 psi) to reduce flat spotting. Toss a car cover on it if you'd like and maybe some dryer sheets (change monthly) to deter rodents.

BraveUlysses posted:

Costco sells one by that brand, I have one and it's been good for the few months I've been using it. Lifetime returns on almost everything sold at Costco.

Thanks! I note it says "Junior" for "ATVs and Motorcycles" - does that actually matter? Or is that just a flat-charge speed thing? The battery is currently healthy and well charged so I assume that doesn't matter. 80Ah, 640 CCA according to the label.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That brand sells a few varieties, the one I bought definitely works on my car battery.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Thanks, bought it. I don't think I will put in stabilizer, might put dryer sheets in. It's in a garage, should I still cover it?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks, bought it. I don't think I will put in stabilizer, might put dryer sheets in. It's in a garage, should I still cover it?

Depends if your garage is dusty/leaky/etc.

Also, I would suggest http://smile.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU/ It says humane, but you can totally just put a few crackers in there, and if a mouse gets in, it'll be bait for the next mouse, and so forth. I usually scrape them out once or twice a year. Mouse damage is no joke - $1200 of damage to fuel lines and wires on my '06.

Also, since it's not poison, you don't have to worry about pets eating poisoned mice!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I keep a Battery Tender on my S2000, helps a lot with the tiny battery (PC680) and the fact that I never drive it. I got one of these for my mother's 560SL that sits in the driveway for weeks on end: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0150-DL-WH-800-Charger/dp/B000CITKCE . The nice thing about this is that it can just stay outside and you don't have to worry about water intrusion!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Depends if your garage is dusty/leaky/etc.

Also, I would suggest http://smile.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU/ It says humane, but you can totally just put a few crackers in there, and if a mouse gets in, it'll be bait for the next mouse, and so forth. I usually scrape them out once or twice a year. Mouse damage is no joke - $1200 of damage to fuel lines and wires on my '06.

Also, since it's not poison, you don't have to worry about pets eating poisoned mice!

Good call. A buddy of mine just did a comprehensive claim against a several thousand dollar harness job on his FJ due to critters. We don't poison to try and not poison the local raptor population. The neighbors cats I am less concerned about. :v:

There is one spot where we've certainly seen a critter could get into the garage, and one recently chewed a random single wire out of our furnace which caused it to flip on the air intake but never actually sense pressure to start gas and spark.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Good call. A buddy of mine just did a comprehensive claim against a several thousand dollar harness job on his FJ due to critters. We don't poison to try and not poison the local raptor population. The neighbors cats I am less concerned about. :v:

There is one spot where we've certainly seen a critter could get into the garage, and one recently chewed a random single wire out of our furnace which caused it to flip on the air intake but never actually sense pressure to start gas and spark.

Yeah, State Farm covered mine under comprehensive. It was hilarious when the corporate office called, the girl asked about the moose damage to my car. Once I stopped laughing, I explained it was just mouse damage, and that moose damage would be much, much worse!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

So my '94 325is hit a curb and the wheel is damaged beyond repair. The full size spare has worked beautifully, but now I am out a spare.

Complicating this is the suspension has been dropped, I'm 90% sure the wheels on the car are not OEM, and the car is probably going to die within 2 years. So I really don't care about the aesthetics of all the wheel patterns matching. When buying a new spare wheel do I need to get a BMW specific wheel or will any wheel ideal for a 205/60R16 tire (what the other tires are) work?

Here for reference is one of the three matching wheels

And the currently working spare wheel

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you just need one, it shouldn't be too hard to find one in a pick n pull for $20..

http://row52.com/home

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Those are OEM BMW wheels, but not from your car.

They're style 7.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

So I do need BMW specific wheels?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Maxwells Demon posted:

So I do need BMW specific wheels?

Well, you need wheels with the right bolt pattern and the right offset for your car, so I would say it would save a lot of headaches to stick with BMW wheels, and to save expense, stick with the same style wheel as you damaged.

Besides, like people have said, your exact wheels should be pretty easy to find at a junkyard, or on sale locally from your classifieds/a BMW forum. Your wheels (Style 17s) aren't exactly the most desirable wheels, so they're taken off and sold all the time.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bought some bushings for my M3 because I really want expansion joints to rattle my loving teeth out.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Bought some bushings for my M3 because I really want expansion joints to rattle my loving teeth out.

Glad to see you haven't completely given the old girl up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

The only annoying part about running full delrin and poly in mine was the bad rear diff being loud as gently caress.

Fox_bat
Mar 6, 2010
Is there a coding choice to not have the stereo in a 2011 e90 revert back to the radio if the USB/iPod was unplugged?

Also do the e90s have pixel issues? I see something that looks like that on my climate control display but only when its less than 30F. Car is still under CPO warranty at this point though not sure if something like this would be covered.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fox_bat posted:

Is there a coding choice to not have the stereo in a 2011 e90 revert back to the radio if the USB/iPod was unplugged?

Also do the e90s have pixel issues? I see something that looks like that on my climate control display but only when its less than 30F. Car is still under CPO warranty at this point though not sure if something like this would be covered.

I don't think the radio is covered under CPO. The radio in my e82 gets sluggish in cold weather and doesn't display all the pixels in hot weather. It goes back to normal in mild weather.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SuperDucky posted:

Glad to see you haven't completely given the old girl up.

It still gets driven often in the summer, but my thread went into the archives long ago and I'm too lazy to make another.

BlackMK4 posted:

The only annoying part about running full delrin and poly in mine was the bad rear diff being loud as gently caress.

I'm actually keeping the diff rubber mounted. But I've got 75D subframe bushings and 95a RTAB+FCAB bushings. The e30 rtabs are for a friend.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think the radio is covered under CPO. The radio in my e82 gets sluggish in cold weather and doesn't display all the pixels in hot weather. It goes back to normal in mild weather.

Yeah, across the two E90s I've had, and the one my Dad had, I saw this exact behavior.

No idea about coding the default selection, I don't think it's in the BMWhat/Carly as an option that I've seen

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crustashio posted:

I'm actually keeping the diff rubber mounted. But I've got 75D subframe bushings and 95a RTAB+FCAB bushings. The e30 rtabs are for a friend.

Unless it's a track car this is the way to go. Solid mounts anywhere in the driveline will transfer a poo poo load of vibrations and noise to everything. In the suspension it isn't bad at all.

Fox_bat
Mar 6, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Yeah, across the two E90s I've had, and the one my Dad had, I saw this exact behavior.

No idea about coding the default selection, I don't think it's in the BMWhat/Carly as an option that I've seen

Thanks hopefully it doesn't get worse with age since I tend to keep my cars for a while. For the stereo I guess I'll just stick my music library on a USB stick and leave it in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have patches of frozen pixels on my radio that gets worse the colder it gets.

Here it is around 0*C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on EONON radio heads?

I just ordered one based on a sale they are having, the D5150Z for my e46 ZHP, but I'm not sure my impulsive choice is ABSOLUTELY SOUND...