Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I didn't get that vibe. The stuff they were working on wasn't groundbreaking, sure, but I think it's a bit much to say that "being doomed to nameless mediocrity" is an underlying theme of the show. Some of the major plotlines are all about trying to make the shows the best they can be, and parts of them like the Exodus finale and the original TAGS scene are presented as having turned out great. The show did address the issues with the creative process (especially in adaptation), the worry about whether the stuff you're making is any good (Aoi in the old office) or will sell, and the very real possibility of everything going to pot (JigglyJiggly), but whenever dealing directly with scenes from the shows and the character's work on them, the tone was positive.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
1. Shimoneta- Consistently funny, constantly told a story of personal growth and the development of interpersonal relationships in the context of a political message about the evils of censorship. Very well done show, with a girl that makes rainbows, played by Miyu Matsuki in her final role.
2. Saenai Heroine no Sadatekata- I have no real reason to explain why this is great, I just really and truly liked it. All of the characters treat one another horribly, but in themselves manage to continue to be likable. The creator of the series also has a vivid imagination with the ability to come up with fairly-ridiculous, but still sensible problems and solutions that only the otaku protagonist can solve.
3. Oregairu S2- I'm sure everything that needs to be said has already been said. Very cathartic show that even in its lighter moments shows that actions have consequences. Might very well have been #1 if not for Commie's Geico joke.
4. Shokugeki no Souma- Can't rightly explain why I like this one so well, but I'll be damned if it wasn't the show I was most looking forward forward to every week, all Spring and Summer. That alone justifies its place on my list.
5. This could go to any number of shows, and I can't rightly decide between them. Shirobako/Classroom Crisis/Noragami/Owarimonogatari/Working/Gatchaman and probably a few more. I'm going to call it for Noragami for being my most-anticipated show every week for the Fall season and move on with my life.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Motto posted:

I didn't get that vibe. The stuff they were working on wasn't groundbreaking, sure, but I think it's a bit much to say that "being doomed to nameless mediocrity" is an underlying theme of the show. Some of the major plotlines are all about trying to make the shows the best they can be, and parts of them like the Exodus finale and the original TAGS scene are presented as having turned out great. The show did address the issues with the creative process (especially in adaptation), the worry about whether the stuff you're making is any good (Aoi in the old office) or will sell, and the very real possibility of everything going to pot (JigglyJiggly), but whenever dealing directly with scenes from the shows and the character's work on them, the tone was positive.

I can agree with that... I don't think the show is ever cynical towards what they're working on. We get some glimpses of worst-case scenarios (like JigglyJiggly, and what we hear from resident cynic Hiraoka about his earlier jobs), but that's it. If anything, I'd say the show is very neutral regarding market trends and whatnot, it values craftsmanship above all, in every aspect of the industry. I think for that purpose the projects in the show are deliberately generic: a "safe" show about idols to get the studio back on its legs, and an adaption of a successful flavor-of-the-month novel series. And, hell, the show has a LOT to say about compromising between realizing your dream/craft/art, and what you just have to do. Shirobako is not about revolutionizing the industry (which would be quite arrogant as well), it's about appreciating what goes into it. And you better believe that lame-rear end "girls in fighter jets" show had gorgeous clouds. :colbert:

Still, I'm very curious what else the show would have to say about the uglier sides of the industry... We've seen enough to know they are painfully aware of it, and once the protagonists move up in the hierarchy, we're bound to see more issues crop up. I hope more Shirobako happens, seems likely enough.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm a big fan of the "Shirobako movie, about making an anime movie" idea somebody posted

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Still, I'm very curious what else the show would have to say about the uglier sides of the industry... We've seen enough to know they are painfully aware of it, and once the protagonists move up in the hierarchy, we're bound to see more issues crop up. I hope more Shirobako happens, seems likely enough.

You kind of see that during the meeting where they're selecting the voice actors. Fourteen hours to choose VAs for 6 characters, and you have the secondary market reps basically acting like caricatures of single-minded hacks pushing their own brand/sector.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I can agree with that... I don't think the show is ever cynical towards what they're working on. We get some glimpses of worst-case scenarios (like JigglyJiggly, and what we hear from resident cynic Hiraoka about his earlier jobs), but that's it. If anything, I'd say the show is very neutral regarding market trends and whatnot, it values craftsmanship above all, in every aspect of the industry. I think for that purpose the projects in the show are deliberately generic: a "safe" show about idols to get the studio back on its legs, and an adaption of a successful flavor-of-the-month novel series. And, hell, the show has a LOT to say about compromising between realizing your dream/craft/art, and what you just have to do. Shirobako is not about revolutionizing the industry (which would be quite arrogant as well), it's about appreciating what goes into it. And you better believe that lame-rear end "girls in fighter jets" show had gorgeous clouds. :colbert:

Watch Sore ga Seiyu if you haven't already.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Watch Sore ga Seiyu if you haven't already.

That's the show about voice actors, no? Might as well check that out!

AlternateNu posted:

You kind of see that during the meeting where they're selecting the voice actors. Fourteen hours to choose VAs for 6 characters, and you have the secondary market reps basically acting like caricatures of single-minded hacks pushing their own brand/sector.

Do not devalue boobs guy's contribution the the industry, he is a hero

...seriously, scenes like those are great. I want to see all kinds of stuff go horribly wrong, only for the protagonists to overcome it by sheer competence, friendship and optimism. It's very soothing. Catharsis, I guess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'm a big fan of the "Shirobako movie, about making an anime movie" idea somebody posted

It'd be good, but I think a movie's run time might be too short for a movie about a movie.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

That's the show about voice actors, no? Might as well check that out!

If this is the case:

Torquemadras posted:

...seriously, scenes like those are great. I want to see all kinds of stuff go horribly wrong, only for the protagonists to overcome it by sheer competence, friendship and optimism. It's very soothing. Catharsis, I guess.

...you will enjoy it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If this is the case:

...you will enjoy it.

That's exactly why I thought that show was pretty great.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Had to finish / check out a bunch of shows over Christmas before I felt I'd done my due diligence and can compile an honest top list for this year.

1. Shirobako - In a league of its own, really. It ended before the spring season started, and even so I knew nothing could beat this juggernaut for the rest of the year. If any complaint can be made, it's that the first episode is relatively weak, but then the show managed to rise and rise, ever getting better, until the second half seemed to be jumping from peak to peak in a triumphant dance. Started out incredibly stress inducing, then gradually the ship is righted, and you can enjoy the bubbly bliss of finishing an episode. Particularly loved the voice actress' arc.

2. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - Probably? Gorgeous show, both in visuals and music. Some of the piano performance episodes had me in stunned silence. Finished a bit disappointing, but I enjoyed the ride well enough.

3. Hibike! Euphonium - Steeped in some kind of universal nostalgia that I always seem to fall for. Yet another gorgeous show; KyoAni sure know how to use them filters. Can't really go wrong with a classic "sports team" story, either.

4. Prison School - Funniest comedy I've seen in years. Made me even more impressed with the director, who followed up Shirobako with this outrageously smutty comedy without missing a beat.

5. Owarimonogatari - As the biggest fanboy of Nishio alive, I can't make a top list without a Monogatari series. Technically a fairly poor adaptation of one of the best books in the series, followed by a decent adaptation of one of the weaker books, this season of the anime barely held on to my last spot. Still love it to death.

I could fill out a top 20 with just honourable mentions, because this year had so many enjoyable shows. It's all up to you now, 2016.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want a shirobako season 2, where they get contracted to be one of the 70 studios working on some ridiculously long-running shonen series

but yeah, I never got the impression that the shows they were making were 'mediocre.' in the exodus arc it even seems to have done pretty well and been decently received, even by hardcore fans/people who are really picky. It seems more like the show was just having them make pretty good anime, not world-changing stuff.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Endorph posted:

i want a shirobako season 2, where they get contracted to be one of the 70 studios working on some ridiculously long-running shonen series

I thought that sort of thing was already happening, it just wasn't the focus of the show. Like, that older animator had to have been working on something, right?

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Shirobako s2 where Studio Titanic makes the epic henty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I thought that sort of thing was already happening, it just wasn't the focus of the show. Like, that older animator had to have been working on something, right?
i figured he was working on commercials. something that one dude could feasibly animate by himself since it's like 15 seconds long.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
1. Oregairu Zoku - I'm fairly new to the anime scene, but I've never come across a show that has forced me to think and analyze so much. The story, themes, and characters are very well written. It was interesting to read people's interpretations of characters, scenes, interactions, analyses of episodes, etc..

2. Shirobako - The show's just very enjoyable to watch, and I loved all the little anime-industry-related references. Pretty funny and clever. The show made me want to root for all the main characters, and it was fulfilling to see their careers develop.

3. Owarimonogatari - I've always liked the dialogue-driven nature of the Monogatari series.

4. Your Lie in April - I'm probably just a softy but... *tears* :(. Despite the typical random anime sickness and various budget shortcuts (panning still-frames and such..,) the characters hit me in the gut.

5. Working!!! - Yamada. Daisy.
(and lots of character development and wrap ups, I suppose. And lots of GIF-able scenes.)

Honorable mentions go to...
Saekano
Shimoneta
Sore ga Seiyu
Koufuku Graffiti
I'd probably also add Non Non Biyori Repeat, but I haven't watched it yet 'cause I'm watching S1 right now

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Well, I just finished watching Young Black Jack over the last two days so I updated my entries with that in mind. I expected it to be good, but not that good.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The only anime i watched this year were JoJo Stardust Crusaders part 2, and Hunter x Hunter 2011. Both were fantastic.
I had alot of trouble picking an anime to watch. I had no clue which ones were good or bad.
I'd like to thank this thread for letting me use all of your top 5's to start watching anime again. I started to watch Ore-Monogatari. Only 2 episodes in so far but i'm absolutely loving it.
After Ore-monogatari, I'll probably start one-punch man.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
5. Quitting smoking is hard.

Gatchaman Crowds insight kinda reminds me of TWEWY. Sugane's crush on Jou is still super cute.

4. Disappointingly, not as gay as the first season.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU has lots of good, snappy dialogue all around. Season 2 is a more polished, prettier version that gives the show some substance, digging painfully into its characters and their relationships. when are the girls gonna kiss

3. The best use of attack calling.

Shirobako is a neat workplace slice-of-life and a very strong character drama. I cried from happiness.

2. Yeah, I played bass in orchestra in high school too.

Sound! Euphonium is very relatable, has good romance, and is really fun. Also pretty as heck, but that goes without saying. let the girls kiss though

1. The highest highs of the year.

I'm glad I kept up with watching Akatsuki no Yona. The show started pretty slow, but it really got rolling once it had enough characters to have some kind of group dynamic. I like how even there are some more fantastical elements, the setting is still mostly grounded. There isn't anything like flashy, fancy magical powers; the fighting is all done with blades and fists and arrows. Sometimes the comic relief bits feel a bit out of place, though it got better about it as the show went on. The traditional aesthetic in the music is 100% my jam (the second ED is really good), and the second OP is a super neat contrast (it's really good).

Other stuff:

One Punch Man: Dece. Better than the manga.

JJBA: The Egypt arc did not have a Battle Tendency nostalgia half-hour (boo), but Joseph at least had the best line all season (yay). Also did not include any toilet licking (thank god) but the urine jokes were really not much better (uuuuugh). Dio is a clown.

Snow White with the Red Hair: The protagonist is cool. Shame about her love interest. Raj did nothing wrong.

Durarara!!x2: I haven't watch any of the second season yet. I just think it's funny how one cour got the same OP/ED artist pair as Gintama° did.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All these reviews are seriously making me consider giving Shirobako and Euphogear another chance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

All these reviews are seriously making me consider giving Shirobako and Euphogear another chance.

I'd totally watch Euphogear, instead of singing they'd play their instruments.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sapphire kawashima armed with the contrabass cannon

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

I feel this thread provides this valuable service. A quantifiable "no really you should watch this/have given it more of a chance."

Especially for those normie people that don't watch much anime in the first place.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

I feel this thread provides this valuable service. A quantifiable "no really you should watch this/have given it more of a chance."

Especially for those normie people that don't watch much anime in the first place.

You calling me a normie?????

I'll show you! I'm going to post my list and it'll only have 4 normie shows!!!!

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

You calling me a normie?????

I'll show you! I'm going to post my list and it'll only have 4 normie shows!!!!
Nah I'm just thinking of all the people who came around during the last thread saying stuff like "I don't watch much anime but I decided to give this Ping Pong thing a try and man it was awesome."

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Twiddy posted:

Nah I'm just thinking of all the people who came around during the last thread saying stuff like "I don't watch much anime but I decided to give this Ping Pong thing a try and man it was awesome."

I concur. I would not have watched any new anime this year if it wasn't for this thread. So far the one i picked from the lists here is awesome.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Death Parade
Interesting show with an awesome OP. I didn't understand the verdict for the first episode then I realized that wasn't the point of the show and from there on I just enjoyed the show for what it was. But mostly enjoyed the OP.

One-Punch Man
The only show I anticipated every week. The animation for most of the fight scenes are amazing for a TV show.

Aldnoah Zero s2
Came into this hyped from season 1 expecting more enjoyable dumb poo poo to happen and while it eased up on the completely satisfying method of protagonist finding a clever way to win, it still ended in a satisfying way that I find it here on this list.

Hibike! Euphonium
It's a Kyoani show so I gave it a try and just like any other Kyoani show, it's animated very well and the show is great to look at. Reminded me of the days of high school orchestra so I guess I connected with the show.

Shirobako
I can't say anything else that hasn't been said already and it looks like it's going to be number one so let me add to the pile and say that I enjoyed it thoroughly.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Top_10_Anime_by_Year

This wiki page is still the best resource this subforum creates and maintains. A snapshot of anime year to year, and a recommendation list for anyone interested.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will never understand the insane popularity of Devil is a Part-Timer that was expressed in this forum

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

In Training posted:

I will never understand the insane popularity of Devil is a Part-Timer that was expressed in this forum

Yeah, that 2013 vote got me to watch the show and it was . . . alright? I mean I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it, but I doubt anyone is going to be recommending it as a classic in ten years time. Meanwhile that year also had Chihayafuru 2 and Kyousougiga, both of which I hope will live in the hearts and minds of the next thousand generations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

you see, it was a good show

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

In Training posted:

It was expected to be bad, but turned out pretty good, making it feel like it was extremely good.

Alternative answer: acceptable baps in the Zorak era

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

AnacondaHL posted:

http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Top_10_Anime_by_Year

This wiki page is still the best resource this subforum creates and maintains. A snapshot of anime year to year, and a recommendation list for anyone interested.

Feels like I screwed up 2009 in hindsight. Would it be possible to redo a proper 2009 vote now? It could finally give Haruhi s2 the recognition it deserves.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blhue posted:

you see, it was a good show

A totally non-anime watching friend of mine texted me the other day "hey! Have you seen The Devil is a Part Timer?" "It's so good and cute!"
I have no idea how she even heard of it. I guess netflix, or her girlfriend maybe?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I think with that year's poll it happened because all votes in a person's top 5 are given equal weight so it was rarely a first choice but a very frequent 4th or 5th

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Notice the lack of Gatchaman Crowds on that list. I think folks were more likely to put something easy to like but not that exciting over something interesting. Also:

AnacondaHL posted:

Alternative answer: acceptable baps in the Zorak era

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

darkgray posted:

Feels like I screwed up 2009 in hindsight. Would it be possible to redo a proper 2009 vote now? It could finally give Haruhi s2 the recognition it deserves.

This sound like it could be amazing or a trainwreck. Fire it up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

the actual insane part is that chuunibyou made the top 10

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

only 5 votes for lucky star :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish i could have been there for the live chuunibyou s2 reactions

it's the first kyoani show i've just straight-up dropped

• Locked thread