Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
spoilers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snak posted:

I'm not really arguing with that, I just think a "not-so-subtle indication" is not present.

When she goes to their apartment, he has no pants on, just underwear. I feel like that's a indication for weird incesty stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

When she goes to their apartment, he has no pants on, just underwear. I feel like that's a indication for weird incesty stuff.

It could be, but if they are siblings who have spent their whole lives together, that might not be that weird. She takes care of him. Right before this, the argument they were having was about cooking breakfast. Jessica makes a crack about their fetish, which yes, brings to mind that thing where men like to dress as babies and get yelled at. But when it is later revealed to the viewer that they are siblings, and it becomes a joke in hindsight.

I'm not saying your wrong, I got that vibe from that scene, before I knew they were siblings, then it made a different kind of sense.

I think it plays into the idea that relationships aren't always what they seem like from the outside.

edit: Like if you go back, it literally seems like he got up and started making breakfast, probably trying to be nice (knowing him) and was making a huge mess, which when his sister came into the kitchen and started yelling about giving them both salmonella, Jessica came and yelled at them. Then she made a crack about their fetish.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I cannot believe Matt Murdock fights crime in sneakers.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Not really. The first scene they show up in, it's not known yet that they are siblings and Jessica makes a comment about not caring what their weird fetish is as long as they keep it down, but in hindsight this is obviously a joke. I don't think there's any actually indication they have any weird incest poo poo going on.

He's wearing a diaper in that scene and she has a spoon in her hand. poo poo's kinky.

Anyway, I'm up to episode 9 now and I have to say, really would have preferred this show to have Kilgrave and Jessica doing poo poo together much earlier on. The plot's actually moving forward and everything has more momentum and oomph. The slow burn effect didn't do the show many favors.

Also lol at everything Officer Simpson is up to in this episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's funny because I thought that JJ basically didn't have a slow burn compared to Daredevil, where poo poo doesn't start to get real for loving ever. Fisk doesn't even show up until the end of the third episode and doesn't really do anything until the end of the fourth episode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

so GROUNDED and REALISTIC that the Punisher wearing a skull shirt is deemed too fanciful

Looking forward to S2 anyway, but geez.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

raditts posted:

Wasn't there also some not-so-subtle indication that they did weird sex stuff together too?
Their introduction is presented with a hint towards kink so that Jessica's crack about their sex life will make sense to the audience, and so that the reveal of being siblings is something of a surprise. After that, there's no further implication that they're incestuous.

I think one of the things they were going for with those two (and they didn't necessarily succeed, mostly because it's so hard to get past Robyn's screeching harpy personality to sympathize with her) is a Rear Window kind of thing, where we and Jessica are led to jump to conclusions about their lives based on really limited information, only to have those conclusions upended later. Are they into kinky poo poo? No, they're siblings. Is Reuben retarded? Actually, his personality probably got stunted somewhere along the way. Is she just going to keep loving everything up? Well, not really, since she helps Malcolm get some closure and work through some of his own poo poo. Again, that's what I think they were going for. I'm not sure they actually pulled it off. Those two are easily one of the weakest points of the show for me.

So yeah, I think the incest stuff was just a red herring. Sure, there's a fetish where people want to be literally babies, but it's a fetish. It's not a lifestyle. Reuben appears to live almost his whole existence infantalized. He is not David Vitter.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

That's funny because I thought that JJ basically didn't have a slow burn compared to Daredevil, where poo poo doesn't start to get real for loving ever. Fisk doesn't even show up until the end of the third episode and doesn't really do anything until the end of the fourth episode.

There's lots of cool fights and Russian bad men though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

There's lots of cool fights and Russian bad men though.

That's true, but the story is really, really unengaging until we get more meaningful character motivations. I've watched the thing three times now, and the first few episodes 4 times (I had a lot of friends/roommates to show it to). The first 3 episodes really drag.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I <3 Foggy Bear

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I <3 Foggy Bear

Me too. There's lots of things I like about DD, but almost all of them get interesting in the 3 episode and later.

edit: V It's entirely possible that he's a bed-wetter. We see it in that scene for the purpose of misdirection.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 29, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtraMorS posted:

Their introduction is presented with a hint towards kink so that Jessica's crack about their sex life will make sense to the audience, and so that the reveal of being siblings is something of a surprise. After that, there's no further implication that they're incestuous.

I agree with you on the whole, but I'm always going to be stumped why Reuben had a diaper on in the first place. Kinky sex isn't the only explanation, or even really the best one, but the fact he has it on does make it seem more likely regardless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Barry Convex posted:

so GROUNDED and REALISTIC that the Punisher wearing a skull shirt is deemed too fanciful

It always takes forever for all the post production graphics to get finished, so it's too early to judge.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also he might not be The Punisher yet.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Finished JJ this morning, some thoughts.

-Between Vondie Curtis-Hall in DD and Clarke Peters here, Marvel is trying to wipe out the Black Character Actors of A Certain Age. Reg E. Cathey better watch out.

-I went in unspoiled as to Nuke being in this show, so imagine my delight when after so many episodes of MY GOD this Dollar Store Captain America, gently caress him, it was well OK the knockoff Cap stuff makes sense, down to his look.

-Jessica Jones is better than Daredevil because for any flaws JJ has, it doesn't have Foggy's stupid loving awful stupid loving haircut. gently caress your hair Foggy I hope Netflix you gets cancer too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm six episodes in so far and loving it.

My favorite aspect is we have a hero who is afraid of their nemesis.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

whatsabattle posted:

-I went in unspoiled as to Nuke being in this show, so imagine my delight when after so many episodes of MY GOD this Dollar Store Captain America, gently caress him, it was well OK the knockoff Cap stuff makes sense, down to his look.

This was the best part for me, too. When the military guy gave him the "Red to bring you up, blue to calm you down..." speech I started making :stonk: faces.

Then the scene with the detective, and they nailed it. You think he's unstable because of the pills and hey, maybe if he can just hold it together, he can still be a force for good! Then he goes from twitchy but helpful to shooting an innocent man in the head without missing a single beat and you finally realize, holy poo poo, this man is a monster.

That's exactly the vibe you should get from Nuke. There's people in the Marvel universe capable of greater atrocities but Nuke should always illicit an "oh gently caress" vibe.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I wouldn't be upset if they just copied the Punisher Warzone design wholesale.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, man, it's like they'd put daredevil on screen for most of his first season without his red costume, it's crazy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tbh, they should go back to black...

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope he wears the skull shirt in two or three episodes. A man having a skull shirt is realistic, a man having five skull shirts is not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tsob posted:

I agree with you on the whole, but I'm always going to be stumped why Reuben had a diaper on in the first place. Kinky sex isn't the only explanation, or even really the best one, but the fact he has it on does make it seem more likely regardless.

Because he actually is ill and can't look after himself. I'm not sure why Goons are making this more complicated than it is.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Open Source Idiom posted:

Because he actually is ill and can't look after himself. I'm not sure why Goons are making this more complicated than it is.

It's not complicated at all, he's in an emotionally and probably sexually abusive relationship with his sister.

He seems subconsciously desperate to escape it, which is why he loves Jessica, because she's alone and aloof and independent and he's likely never been allowed to be those things.

Remember kids, the theme of the show is A-B-USE! Abuse! It's the theme of the show.

The theme is everyone is abusive.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Open Source Idiom posted:

There is no scene with him during the show where he comes across as so infantile in nature that he has to wear a diaper at all times because he's not capable of being potty trained. He comes across as a giant child at times, but not as a giant baby.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

I hope he wears the skull shirt in two or three episodes. A man having a skull shirt is realistic, a man having five skull shirts is not.

Is it though, in a world where Punisher doesn't exist as a fictonal character? Like he's gonna have to make do with Miami Ink or Tapout shirts or someting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Is it though, in a world where Punisher doesn't exist as a fictonal character? Like he's gonna have to make do with Miami Ink or Tapout shirts or someting.

They don't have cafe press in the MCU?

Other than his specifically stylized skull, it's really not that hard to find a skull t-shirt in a world without The Punisher™.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

They don't have cafe press in the MCU?

Other than his specifically stylized skull, it's really not that hard to find a skull t-shirt in a world without The Punisher™.

Yeah I just really like the mental image of him collecting various shirts that happen to have skulls on them to wear before he decides on a logo and starts printing those.

edit: Now I am imagining a sub-plot where arranging delivery and pickup of his cafe-press gear is a an issue because law enforcement is trying to catch him.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I always thought the throwaway explanation of the skull shirt was like how they need to come up with a reason for Jean-Claude Van Damme's accent in any give film.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Netflix Frank Castle's wife had a silk screen business that she ran, before the family was killed. So Frank makes his own shirts.

odiv posted:

I always thought the throwaway explanation of the skull shirt was like how they need to come up with a reason for Jean-Claude Van Damme's accent in any give film.

All decisions can be boiled down to the Van Damme or Schwarzenegger accent method: Explain it or ignore it.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Snak posted:

edit: Now I am imagining a sub-plot where arranging delivery and pickup of his cafe-press gear is a an issue because law enforcement is trying to catch him.

"Hey. It's Frank. Castle. Castle!

Look, man, what the gently caress is this poo poo? Hanes Beefy T? I'm not a loving tech conference! No, you rear end in a top hat, I'm looking at the invoice. '15 in size L, American Goddamn Apparel. Black.

Uh huh. Uh huh. No. No! I wouldn't wipe my rear end with a Beefy T! It fits like poo poo! Make it right!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...I like beefy Ts

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Snak posted:

"Sir. Sir. I don't care how long you've been on the line with customer service. I've already told you. We cannot deliver to a van. You need to provide an actual street address. A PO Box. Anything but 'nondescript white van'."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It turns out he's a huge Chris Kyle fan and starts wearing a shirt with the emblem his squad used to use.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jessica Jones was good but should have been 10 episodes.

Who the gently caress was the Doctor who gave Simpson magic pills? The show seemed to expect that I would know what that was about, and the character got no closure. Where did he go?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
There wasn't anything more you were supposed to pick up. Simpson has a shady quasimilitary past and Kozlov is Dr. Jekylling him into a psychotic supersoldier. Given that Kozlov and Simpson are also tied to IGH, which is part of Jessica's backstory I guess, most of that stuff seemed to be setup for next season, if (god forbid) we are made to endure 13 more episodes of Jessica Jones

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

There wasn't anything more you were supposed to pick up. Simpson has a shady quasimilitary past and Kozlov is Dr. Jekylling him into a psychotic supersoldier. Given that Kozlov and Simpson are also tied to IGH, which is part of Jessica's backstory I guess, most of that stuff seemed to be setup for next season, if (god forbid) we are made to endure 13 more episodes of Jessica Jones

Oh. I thought it was from some other Marvel thing, like Nurse Daredevil

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Well in the comics the answer is Uncle Sam, but in JJ they hint that the same people may have given Jessica her powers. Probably going to be explored in another season or in Luke Cage.

Beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blue squares posted:

Jessica Jones was good but should have been 10 episodes.

Who the gently caress was the Doctor who gave Simpson magic pills? The show seemed to expect that I would know what that was about, and the character got no closure. Where did he go?

They probably would have failed to write a proper 10 then.

The Netflix shows were all ordered as 13, it's not like the count came as a surprise.