Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
motherfuckin marble duellll http://store.steampowered.com/app/338120/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Actually I did just find one. I was trying to retrieve a night drop from a power substation. It was chock full of zombies including at least one Volatile. I used firecrackers to provide a distraction, then danced around some of them to open the crates, then and danced around the crates to get the stuff. (I later used that same technique to snatch half a drop from Rais's goons without killing them.) I was spotted, and ran away, but dawn broke so the chase ended. It was near that spot that I found a guy who had committed suicide and he had a pistol. Probably a one-time-only thing, but I'll check.

Unrelated, I know how to climb UP Radio towers, but I don't know how to get DOWN from them... without dying.

There's a zipline I think?

And if you did that mission I think you must have already done the scripted one because its the one where you reach the drop just as night is about to fall and then radio lady tells you to burn the drug then you run. That is what unlocks normal day/night progression I think.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Griefor posted:

I've heard it said that the console Diablo III had it's gameplay adjusted to controller play, like having less enemies at the same time and a new dodge ability because otherwise the game would be too hard for controller play... I think. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Pretty sure that the enemy numbers are the same across versions*. I have played quite a lot of both, and I never noticed a drought of mooks to splatter. The dodge move on the console makes combat better, and gives you an actual chance to, you know dodge stuff instead of hoping your numbers are big enough to save you all the time.

And even if what you said was true, there wouldn't be a need to adjust the gameplay because the progressive/adjustable difficulty settings pretty much take care of that already. If anything, the offline nature of the console version of Diablo 3 would make the controls more responsive than the always online PC version. Seriously, the the PC version is the inferior specimen in this case.

*I forgot there was a version on the 360 and PS3, so what you say may have been true on those versions, I have no idea as I only briefly played the PS3 version's demo. I can say though that the PS4 version at least looks great, and runs perfectly smoothly.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 29, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been playing Hand of Fate and while it started out a bit slow, it's really pretty fuckin' neato.

In the beginning it was very simple, storywise, but as I've been going it seems to be getting more complicated with quite a few story and plotlines running through. Combat also started out very simple (and remains so) - being like Batman Arkham* on easy with less movesets, but it stays kind of interesting when you're fighting like 8 guys and have to dodge arrows and magic meteor strikes and poo poo while attacking and stunning dudes and whatnot.

It's basically like you're playing a tabletop D&D game and the dungeonmaster guy is talking to you sometimes from across the table while he's setting up the adventures you're playing through. You play using a limited inventory of skill and equipment cards that you can collect/sell/purchase at merchant shops or get rewarded through quests and whatever ingame and it's a simple, but okay mechanic.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Underwhelmed posted:

Pretty sure that the enemy numbers are the same across versions. I have played quite a lot of both, and I never noticed a drought of mooks to splatter. The dodge move on the console makes combat better, and gives you an actual chance to, you know dodge stuff instead of hoping your numbers are big enough to save you all the time.

And even if what you said was true, there wouldn't be a need to adjust the gameplay because the progressive/adjustable difficulty settings pretty much take care of that already. If anything, the offline nature of the console version of Diablo 3 would make the controls more responsive than the always online PC version. Seriously, the the PC version is the inferior specimen in this case.

This is true, I think the console version of D3 is mostly better, at least how it plays. The dodge button is pretty worthless though. The big thing that makes the PC version superior is that the console versions don't support seasons. If they did I'd probably be playing it full-time on my console instead of the PC version.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There is one other major factor with controller support on PC which has never been a problem for consoles, competitive ladders in seasons. If at some point a min-maxer finds out for some reason a controller is superior to kb+m for high level rift play you then become locked out of the ladder until you buy a 3rd party peripheral.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

There is one other major factor with controller support on PC which has never been a problem for consoles, competitive ladders in seasons. If at some point a min-maxer finds out for some reason a controller is superior to kb+m for high level rift play you then become locked out of the ladder until you buy a 3rd party peripheral.

oh no!

It's really stupid that you can't use the D3 console control scheme on the PC version, and there's really no defending it. They went and made the best gamepad controller scheme and then refused to implement it for a platform where a ton of people want to play that way.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Byolante posted:

"major factor"

my biggest issue with controller d3 coming from playing years of d2 (and some 3) on kb+m is precision targeting. i have lost count of the number of times i want to jump into the middle of a group but accidentally jump to a lone guy across the room.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kibayasu posted:

There's a zipline I think?

And if you did that mission I think you must have already done the scripted one because its the one where you reach the drop just as night is about to fall and then radio lady tells you to burn the drug then you run. That is what unlocks normal day/night progression I think.

Well, it was night and I couldn't see very well, and yes, I'm past that mission and onto normal day/night stuff. As I expected, suicide guy's pistol did not respawn.

Right now I'm splitting my time between the "restore the radio towers" mission and the "turn on the east side power - at night" mission. I started so far away from the power mission at sunset that I didn't have time to turn on the third part (largely because a drop happened and I went after that instead.)

Also the main hero is of course an idiot. Instead of burning the antizen maybe he could have just hid it nearby, same effect only he could come back later. GRE obviously evil, etc.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 29, 2015

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I've been playing Hand of Fate and while it started out a bit slow, it's really pretty fuckin' neato.

In the beginning it was very simple, storywise, but as I've been going it seems to be getting more complicated with quite a few story and plotlines running through. Combat also started out very simple (and remains so) - being like Batman Arkham* on easy with less movesets, but it stays kind of interesting when you're fighting like 8 guys and have to dodge arrows and magic meteor strikes and poo poo while attacking and stunning dudes and whatnot.

It's basically like you're playing a tabletop D&D game and the dungeonmaster guy is talking to you sometimes from across the table while he's setting up the adventures you're playing through. You play using a limited inventory of skill and equipment cards that you can collect/sell/purchase at merchant shops or get rewarded through quests and whatever ingame and it's a simple, but okay mechanic.

Yeah, I fired this up for the first time last night as well, and really enjoy it.
I'm not too far in, but the only complaint might be is that the fighting is a bit too easy (though that's fine for me).
Also, it's not really a card playing game like Gwent. Like you said, the Dungeon MAster guy sort of pulls random cards that create your adventure. You only play cards as power ups when you're doing the Batman-rhythm fighting.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 29, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Don't start trying to make sense of Dying Light's story, it's hilarious. Also don't worry about the gun - at certain level guns just become available at shops, you can then buy one and do that side quest. Or you can start looting every police car as there's a chance a gun will be inside.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I've only ever watched a small part of some stream but I distinctly the protagonist being some bitch boy of a very bad man who literally stands in front of him and who can be killed at any time but he doesn't because he has two lovely bodyguards or something. Note that the protagonist is a parkour god that wrecks hordes of zombies all the time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ekster posted:

I've only ever watched a small part of some stream but I distinctly the protagonist being some bitch boy of a very bad man who literally stands in front of him and who can be killed at any time but he doesn't because he has two lovely bodyguards or something. Note that the protagonist is a parkour god that wrecks hordes of zombies all the time.

Over here, we like to call that ludo-narrative dissonance lovely writing.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

When's a good time to do the Bozak Horde? Are there some specific passives it would be best to wait for? I know you can't take any weapons in, but do any supplies like medkits, lockpicks, crafting materials go in with you? (I'm guessing not.)

you can take nothing in with you. you can beat it with all your skill trees at around level 12-15 solo on normal. trials 1-19 are extremely easy once you've done them once or so but trial 20 is always really hard and it'll probably take a few attempts. there's not really any tips for trial 20 except practice it, extend time at all opportunities and try to make it with all 3 lives.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Does Flockers scratch the Lemmings itch well? I bought Spirits awhile ago and it didn't scratch the itch all that well. Been itching for a new Lemmings-rear end Lemmings game for awhile now.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Drifter posted:

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, I fired this up for the first time last night as well, and really enjoy it.
I'm not too far in, but the only complaint might be is that the fighting is a bit too easy (though that's fine for me).
Also, it's not really a card playing game like Gwent. Like you said, the Dungeon MAster guy sort of pulls random cards that create your adventure. You only play cards as power ups when you're doing the Batman-rhythm fighting.

I've been on the fence about getting this. Would you guys say it's worth the sale price? Any more thoughts on it?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

I've been on the fence about getting this. Would you guys say it's worth the sale price? Any more thoughts on it?

I think it's worth the price, but again, I'm only 1-2 hours in.
I tend to like most games, while Drifter is way more critical, and we both seem to like it.
I'm a bit worried it's going to get balls-hard later on, but if it stayed easy, that would get boring fast.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/24/hand-of-fate-review/

Here's a good impression vid of it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394915430

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 29, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

-Blackadder- posted:

It gets really mean in the last couple of levels since both in real life and in-universe the game becomes highly rigged against you, but that's only at the very end and I enjoyed it quite a bit for the most part. As mentioned the combat's very basic Batman fare, the real hook is in unlocking and discovering new event and item cards which is pretty addicting. If you absolutely hate everything RNG-based then it might make you upset though as there's a definite luck factor involved, though it's something you can to a degree manipulate with your card choices and certain items/blessings.

I finished and put about 35 hours into it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Substandard posted:

The big thing that makes the PC version superior is that the console versions don't support seasons. If they did I'd probably be playing it full-time on my console instead of the PC version.

Seasons is one of those features that I like to see, but I never actually bother with despite having at least some initial excitement for them. I don't play anything enough to bother trying to rank against a bunch of people that will play the game like it was a career. (and with the advent of streaming super-stardom, there are a few people that can make a career out of it) High scores on say a rogue-like that only takes an hour or so to run? Sure, but an open ended game that can be played for hundreds of hours without hitting the highest tier, no.

I get why people like them though, not really my thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Treasure Planet RTS is on Steam. Yes, it's an RTS about the Disney movie.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know Treasure Planet even had other licensed media! Thanks for mentioning this game, here's to hoping it runs on modern systems.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

-Blackadder- posted:

HoF has a lot going for it if you like immersing yourself in a card/tabletop game against an AI dungeon master.

I ended up refunding it because the clunky combat absolutely killed my experience for the time I bought it, but I might rebuy it if it gets low enough. :shobon:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I'm really on the fence with Dying Light, and wondering if someone might be able to push me over or talk me out of it...

I really like loot driven ARPGs, and enjoyed Dead Island, but fell off pretty quickly. After maybe 6-8 hours (if I recall, it was right around the time I got to the first humans with guns) I just had no more desire to play. During the first bit though, I really did enjoy the questing and finding/crafting better weapons. I'm just not sure what Dying Light offers over Dead Island that might keep me hooked for longer. Anyone have any thoughts?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Flumpus posted:

I'm really on the fence with Dying Light, and wondering if someone might be able to push me over or talk me out of it...

I really like loot driven ARPGs, and enjoyed Dead Island, but fell off pretty quickly. After maybe 6-8 hours (if I recall, it was right around the time I got to the first humans with guns) I just had no more desire to play. During the first bit though, I really did enjoy the questing and finding/crafting better weapons. I'm just not sure what Dying Light offers over Dead Island that might keep me hooked for longer. Anyone have any thoughts?

The smooth, satisfying combat and amazingly fluid motion of Dying Light would have me be happy to play just a zombie-smashing sandbox. This game has a butte-ton of quests and side quests, a whole lot of weapons and mods, and skill tree progression that actually means something. As someone who played several HUNDRED hours of Dead Island and Riptide, the experiences between the two are not comparable (except that gunplay is sub-par).

There's a lot of content, real estate, game time, and butt kick to be had.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dying Light also isn't really a loot game. The durability system means every melee weapon is temporary

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Dying Light also isn't really a loot game. The durability system means every melee weapon is temporary

To be fair by about 2/3rds of the way through durability is more of a theoretical concept than an actual thing.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Kragger99 posted:

I think it's worth the price, but again, I'm only 1-2 hours in.
I tend to like most games, while Drifter is way more critical, and we both seem to like it.
I'm a bit worried it's going to get balls-hard later on, but if it stayed easy, that would get boring fast.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/24/hand-of-fate-review/

Here's a good impression vid of it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=394915430
Combat never gets hard. The adventures definitely get harder as the decks get bigger, mainly keeping enough food and dealing with curses.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Orange weapons remain pretty rare even in the endgame so there definitely is a loot factor - you'll also need a constant supply of medkit material. Still, the game gets a lot more fun once you stop being attached to items (and realize that throwing melee weapons is stupidly overpowered).

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Can anyone recommend a good RPG or RTS that's on sale at the moment? Hell, I'm even thinking about Subnautica. I dig survival games too. Thanks!

Picked up Subnautica recently, chose it over Stranded Deep. The world you have to survive in is really beautiful, love the bright colors of fish and sea life. Collecting raw materials is pretty fun, and not extremely tedious. It does pose challenges with fish that are aggressive and hard to kill (if possible at all) with the knife you can create. Surviving is simple for the most part; have to make sure you are stocked with the right ingredients to make food as the fish you eat will become rotten if not consumed.

Building the seabase is really fun too. I'm looking forward to more content being added, maybe some quests. Hopefully, they'll include stronger weapons and what not...I've put in 5 or so hours and there's is still a large amount of ocean to discover, including your crashed ship which you can't explore until you craft a radiation suit. I'd say it's a solid 6-7/10 for a game still in early access.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Orange weapons remain pretty rare even in the endgame so there definitely is a loot factor - you'll also need a constant supply of medkit material. Still, the game gets a lot more fun once you stop being attached to items (and realize that throwing melee weapons is stupidly overpowered).

The natural med-kit is the one to make later in the game. It just uses herbs that you find constantly in grassy areas in Old Town. It's better to preserve the alcohol you find to make molotovs instead.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Maggot Soup posted:

Picked up Subnautica recently, chose it over Stranded Deep. The world you have to survive in is really beautiful, love the bright colors of fish and sea life. Collecting raw materials is pretty fun, and not extremely tedious. It does pose challenges with fish that are aggressive and hard to kill (if possible at all) with the knife you can create. Surviving is simple for the most part; have to make sure you are stocked with the right ingredients to make food as the fish you eat will become rotten if not consumed.

Building the seabase is really fun too. I'm looking forward to more content being added, maybe some quests. Hopefully, they'll include stronger weapons and what not...I've put in 5 or so hours and there's is still a large amount of ocean to discover, including your crashed ship which you can't explore until you craft a radiation suit. I'd say it's a solid 6-7/10 for a game still in early access.

How's the base building interface? Is the entire ocean effectively hostile? Is there a passive mode so you can just swim around? Secrets and treasures to find?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
So Half Minute Hero 1+2 (as a bundle) is $2 on the Steam sale right now. I think everyone should pick those games up. They're fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

How's the base building interface? Is the entire ocean effectively hostile? Is there a passive mode so you can just swim around? Secrets and treasures to find?

1. Construction is mostly moving a wireframe into place and holding a button to fill it in

2. There's several modes from full survival to sandbox. Sea life is about 50/50 hostile/passive

3. No secrets or treasures. Yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

It's keeping me entertained. Imagine the text based parts of pillars of eternity or something along those lines, with an AD&D tabletop miniatures meta narrative/gameplay and kinda simple, but not boring Batman-lite combat.

If you like the first hour, it only gets more complicated and interesting and better. I've played four hours total so far, and am halfway through the story-mode adventures in terms of bosses, but each 'adventure' has more and more parts and stories to it. It seems like the longer you go the longer it lasts - I'd expect the game to take maybe around 10-12 (or so) hours to beat...at a guess.

And then there's some sort of endless game mode, which sounds like all the adventures randomly like some sort of infinite monster tower mode in an rpg or whatever. It's all guesswork on my end, though. I've only played 4 hours so far.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 29, 2015

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Construction is mostly moving a wireframe into place and holding a button to fill it in

2. There's several modes from full survival to sandbox. Sea life is about 50/50 hostile/passive

3. No secrets or treasures. Yet.

One thing I like about the construction is that the deeper you build, the more pressure your base will experience. So, you can have elaborate complexes closer to the surface, or build a small, reinforced base deep on the ocean floor.

Deakul posted:

Mokinokaro summed it up pretty well. Although, even hostile fish can be thwarted with a few swipes of the knife. Unless, I just haven't found a really dangerous fish yet. Like I mentioned, the potential is there to add some really interesting items to build and expanding the underwater world. Hopefully the devs can deliver.

Maggot Soup fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 29, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thanks guys, good to know.

Might give it a whirl, I'm a sucker for any games taking place on or around huge bodies of explorable ocean.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Slur posted:

So Half Minute Hero 1+2 (as a bundle) is $2 on the Steam sale right now. I think everyone should pick those games up. They're fun.
People should buy the gently caress out of this. Buy many copies of this and give to friends.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone play keeperRL?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I heard that "it gets better after the prologue", but I'm already enjoying Wolfenstein TNO before the proper game's started. I'm glad I bought it instead of Undertale :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair by about 2/3rds of the way through durability is more of a theoretical concept than an actual thing.

According to my "choose save file" screen, I'm 10% into the game and durability is already a theoretical concept for us. But then, our playstyle consists almost entirely of drop/slide-kicking zeds into spikes or over ledges.

still hoping to find ahmed's anime basement with his authentic samurai sword though

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

I heard that "it gets better after the prologue", but I'm already enjoying Wolfenstein TNO before the proper game's started. I'm glad I bought it instead of Undertale :v:

TNO was absolutely fantastic. Better than most games.

• Locked thread