Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Note that in the pre-subscription world where YNAB just charged for major updates once a year or so, YNAB is more expensive than in the subscription at $50/year world.

Not if you bought it for $10 at a steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have sales on the new product.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Defenestration posted:

This is crucial to my budget.
Given how upset people are about the lack of it and that it's still in development, it may come back. Especially with eventually allowing import of YNAB4 data, which would gently caress over the whole budget if that option isn't available.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Wow that stinks, I was checking in here to read about if I could benefit from using YNAB vs just using mint's poor budgeting tools, but looks like I should wait for a few days and either scoop it up via this month's steam sale if it ends up going on sale (probably not or will be on he day of launch of the new ynab) or just see how you guys all react.

Mint is pretty good for seeing a track record of spending but cash transactions while few are pretty much a wash for me since their android app is pretty clunky. :(

EDIT:

Defenestration posted:

This is crucial to my budget.

Already hating the idea of a subscription model, and I won't be recommending ynab anymore, which is sad.

I also need this too for work expenses I get reimbursed on the next month, can you all pipe in when you see how the new YNAB 4 works regarding this?

EDIT AGAIN:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV Well poo poo.

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 29, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

YNAB doesnt go on steam sale anymore

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And I'd expect to be pulled from Steam altogether once the downgrade is released. Get it now if you need it, and archive the tutorial videos if possible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

nYNAB comes with a 34 day trial, too. Try it first before being dramatic. --edit: It only requires an email address. If it sucks this time, use another address to retry half a year later.

As far as reimbursement expenses go, does it kill anyone to front them the first time and then reallocate them in the budget this or next month, whenever you get them reimbursed? It's just a numbers game. And practically exactly what happens in your wallet.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 29, 2015

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

As far as reimbursement expenses go, does it kill anyone to front them the first time and then reallocate them in the budget this or next month, whenever you get them reimbursed? It's just a numbers game. And practically exactly what happens in your wallet.

I used to to do this for my wife's work expenses but it gets real easy to forget about them. Mostly the $5-10 random expenses she'd have when not on a business trip. It was nice seeing the red $-5 in YNAB to remind me that something needs to be expensed or is incoming.

Still going to try you the subscription based YNAB to see if it's better. I'm suspecting it won't be today but by the end of 2016 I'll switch over once the system has matured a bit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2015/your-finances-will-be-less-tedious-super-focused-and-older-with-the-new-ynab/

I'm liking some of the new features. I was just messing with Mint today seeing how much I could save if I payed extra on a loan. While I don't think it will show how much I will save totally based on interest calculations, it does give me a "you will may off at this date" which is nice.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Note that in the pre-subscription world where YNAB just charged for major updates once a year or so, YNAB is more expensive than in the subscription at $50/year world.

I would pay more for a non-subscription version, absolutely.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just really can't justify unlimited recurring costs to myself though. If they ever offer a lifetime subscription I might spring for it but I cannot have an open-ended subscription for something like this where if I stop paying I lose access, it just ain't happening.

It's a psychological thing for me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hooking directly into banking APIs and doing what Mint, etc do is a nice feature, probably, but I always round up my transactions, so I'd just end up with a million extra transactions hanging out in my register.

Also, throwing another monthly expense (even if it is only like $5 or whatever) is not too bueno with me. I'd rather take the upfront hit.

Trial launches tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, eh?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I would pay more for a non-subscription version, absolutely.

Yes, I was just highlighting that the subscription isn't necessarily a bad value. There's other variables to consider besides just the dollar amount paid.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I front all my travel. I would rather not put a couple thou in travel expense and conference reg on budget, because I wouldn't have money to do anything else this month. I do love keeping track of work expenses on YNAB to make sure I've been reimbursed for everything.

gariig posted:

I used to to do this for my wife's work expenses but it gets real easy to forget about them. Mostly the $5-10 random expenses she'd have when not on a business trip. It was nice seeing the red $-5 in YNAB to remind me that something needs to be expensed or is incoming.
yeah this

Other than maybe it will import from your bank (which I specifically don't want to do, gently caress Mint) and I can rearrange my budget categories on phone instead of just waiting until I get back to my compy, I'm not seeing a single new feature to care about.

I bought YNAB on steam sale, and I don't need new bells and whistles on my frugality software every year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, I was just highlighting that the subscription isn't necessarily a bad value. There's other variables to consider besides just the dollar amount paid.
I bought YNAB 4 for like $15 2 years ago. I haven't had to pay another dime for usage of it.

Your argument isn't very well considered.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I bought YNAB 4 for like $15 2 years ago. I haven't had to pay another dime for usage of it.

Your argument isn't very well considered.

I don't think you considered my argument at all since your point isn't applicable.

They obviously ceased development on desktop YNAB a couple years ago to work on a web subscription thing. Prior to that it was around $60/year to continue buying it and since my argument was that in that world, you'd be spending more on YNAB desktop, your argument that in this other world things worked out differently doesn't really bear on my point.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

For me there is value in the ynab process. I bought it in a steam sale a few years ago and didn't even use it until this year. It's stuff I theoretically could do in a spreadsheet, but I never did. I take their explanation at face value, that an ongoing subscription is better value for them, plus it does enable them to release more features (or more often, at least). We'll have to see if that ends up happening, but it at least makes sense.

I do see the point when people say they don't want a subscription, it's valid. Ynab 4 is perfectly serviceable. But I think a lot of the backlash (not necessarily here) has been unwarranted, and accuses them of being greedy. People saying they'll never subscribe just on principle just seems weird. I am a little skeptical of some of the changes they announced (credit cards have always been a little confusing, but I'm used to them now) but we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'm just naive

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's mildly annoying for me is that scheduled transactions are fixed now. There's no more option to pull its current instance into the register. Apparently I have to bow to the masters of time instead of my own decision when to pay it. Either that or start fiddling around editing the scheduled transaction every drat time.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's mildly annoying for me is that scheduled transactions are fixed now. There's no more option to pull its current instance into the register. Apparently I have to bow to the masters of time instead of my own decision when to pay it. Either that or start fiddling around editing the scheduled transaction every drat time.
This makes me wonder if there is a difficult divide for the developers to bridge, between making this as easy as possible for people who want a painless way to get their money in order, but also anal-retentive high maintenance capabilities for people who use YNAB for micromanaging accounting

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure how the ability to quickly override the schedule of an instance is micromanaging. Bills may arrive early, as they do often enough, and someone may want to pay them before the one scheduled in nYNAB enters the register on its own. If you edit the date of a scheduled transaction in nYNAB to a present or past date, it becomes "unscheduled". --edit: Just for the record, it was possible to do exactly that in YNAB4.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 30, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Defenestration posted:

This makes me wonder if there is a difficult divide for the developers to bridge, between making this as easy as possible for people who want a painless way to get their money in order, but also anal-retentive high maintenance capabilities for people who use YNAB for micromanaging accounting

This is an on-going developer/designer headache for decades for all software.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

This is an on-going developer/designer headache for decades for all software.
True, and its certainly a concern for software with as many idiosyncrasies as YNAB.
But they need to COMMIT to bringing these things back in the near future if they want existing users, who know the current tricks, to upgrade and pony up every month.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
This new ability to directly import from banks without any effort doesn't appeal much to me. Personally, I feel that having to manually put in every transaction makes me more on top of what I'm spending and when.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My YNAB needs are fairly simple so I'll probably give the online thing a lookie, especially if there's a free trial. My thing is that I'm currently running on linux and while I've gotten YNAB to work it slows at random and sometimes right clicking won't work and it freezes up from time to time so having a web interface would be convenient. Also helpful for mobile use, hopefully.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

sparkmaster posted:

This new ability to directly import from banks without any effort doesn't appeal much to me. Personally, I feel that having to manually put in every transaction makes me more on top of what I'm spending and when.

I can see its value for people, starting out, who are in a mess and sinking deeper - the kind of people who open accounts to hide money from themselves, or are throwing their hands in the air because they're just SO in a muddle WHERE IS MY MONEY GOING i could have sworn I paid that bill weeks ago AAARGH.

However, I can also see people using this as a crutch - nYNAB and your bank are talking to each other now, why spend the time to sit down for half an hour at the weekend to glance over the figures? It'll wait until tomorrow, next week, well any time you get a free moment because you're so BUSY these days, [accept all transactions] what the hell it all looks good.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

spincube posted:

I can see its value for people, starting out, who are in a mess and sinking deeper - the kind of people who open accounts to hide money from themselves, or are throwing their hands in the air because they're just SO in a muddle WHERE IS MY MONEY GOING i could have sworn I paid that bill weeks ago AAARGH.

However, I can also see people using this as a crutch - nYNAB and your bank are talking to each other now, why spend the time to sit down for half an hour at the weekend to glance over the figures? It'll wait until tomorrow, next week, well any time you get a free moment because you're so BUSY these days, [accept all transactions] what the hell it all looks good.

As someone who uses YNAB as an auditing tool for micromanagement, I can understand why the devs might feel the need to cater to those really in trouble over myself. Most of the updates are meaningless or downright annoying for my use case, but YNAB's mission statement is really "stop living paycheck to paycheck" so I don't begrudge them focusing on making that more attainable for people.

I do however agree with the above point about the auto-sync of bank data to be a huge crutch and an unfortunate development. Sitting down every month and going through all your statements and reconciling gives a person a ton of understanding over their finances. However I'm sure they weighed that against how many people were getting to that first reconcile sitdown, and then just giving up 30 minutes later out of frustration and dropping out all together.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I do however agree with the above point about the auto-sync of bank data to be a huge crutch and an unfortunate development. Sitting down every month and going through all your statements and reconciling gives a person a ton of understanding over their finances. However I'm sure they weighed that against how many people were getting to that first reconcile sitdown, and then just giving up 30 minutes later out of frustration and dropping out all together.

On the other hand, the quickest way to make YNAB useless is to not have it up-to-date with your actual spending. If the idea is always 'you spend what's in the budget, not what's in the bank,' and your budget doesn't accurately reflect that you've already spent 25 of your 50 dollars in 'eating out,' you might as well not have a budget.

Yes, the BEST way is to religiously enter every transaction on your phone right then and there, or barring that, do it nightly, but on the other hand, all that this does is eliminate a single stop in the 'download transactions from bank, match to your manual entries, classify any that you missed or didn't enter.'

And I don't get why people would float an overbudget for reimbursable expenses, as that seems exactly contrary to YNAB's philosophy. Seems to me that what you should do is cover the expenses, then assign the reimbursement as new income.

If you have regular expenses on such things, you'd probably want to build up a buffer for it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

And I don't get why people would float an overbudget for reimbursable expenses, as that seems exactly contrary to YNAB's philosophy. Seems to me that what you should do is cover the expenses, then assign the reimbursement as new income.

Sort of. It's not really a budget expense for me it's more that I'm loaning out money that is going to be paid back. You are right and technically what is happening is I record a reimbursable expense, minus the money from my emergency fund to fund my work expense category, get reimbursed, and add that money back to my emergency fund. If your company is good about work expenses it's easier to just skip all of that and just float the work expense until paid. If you are paycheck-to-paycheck and not having access to ~$500 is going to be a serious constraint on your monthly budget then overflowing you reimbursable expenses is bad.

Trying out the nYNAB. Since I'm starting from scratch it's hard to tell if it's any good or not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

spincube posted:

If the matching works properly, it'll autocategorize your expenses and all income will be to be budgeted. Ideally, regardless of direct import or not, you'd be looking up the YNAB mobile app on whether you can afford something or not when you're on the go.

--edit: Oh right, today is release day. Let's see what changed.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 30, 2015

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm fine with YNAB as it is now. Mint did a terrible job capturing all my transactions anyway. Or got them wrong, or other issues.

An added benefit to entering all transactions, not that I'm the first to point this out, is it makes you more aware of how often you spend money.

Related to that, simplifying purchases, I've been considering just buying grocery store gift cards (especially if I find a discount) and re-upping whenever one runs out. I'm single and only shop for a week or two at a time, so I make frequent trips. Less transactions to enter, and the added bonus of being compelled to stick to groceries over fast food. (My problem)

I figure it will look strange at first- $200 one month, $0 the next, but over time it will start to even out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently they're going to be planning a "desktop app".

Given from what I remember from past discussions and posts on the YNAB forums and that AMA on reddit, it's likely going to be the web app on a HTML runtime. In the case of Windows, I suppose it might become an Universal Windows App, since you can make those with HTML+JS, too, and the easiest way to distribute. On a Mac probably packing it on a custom portable browser. The Linux guys will probably have to fiddle apart one of the two and hack things together. Supposedly going to be offline capable, similar to the mobile app.

--edit:
Speaking about offline... as if on cue. :rolleyes:

--edit2:
Now a message about a new version. I suppose _now_ is release day.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 30, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah man I'm looking at this now and this big blank screen is bothering me, I just can't bear to lose my two years of history in YNAB 4. I'm going to have to wait until this can import old budgets because I don't want to start from scratch.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They done hosed up credit cards. If I have -$1000 on a credit card (from using YNAB4) does that mean I need to budget +$1000 to pay that card? For the starting balances at least? It gets paid off every month.

That's the only way my numbers seem to match up...

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

YNAB 4 is fine for what I need now. I'll wait and see what they add to nYNAB and decide later. Right now it's more important for me to continue learning more about YNAB 4 and getting used to that version. Particularly since that's already a sunk cost.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah man I'm looking at this now and this big blank screen is bothering me, I just can't bear to lose my two years of history in YNAB 4. I'm going to have to wait until this can import old budgets because I don't want to start from scratch.

This is exactly why I never bothered with the trial.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.youneedabudget.com/learn/guide/transition-guide

Looks like you can import your YNAB 4 data

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am in between on whether to go with the new YNAB or stay with 4. The extra cost is something that may not be needed (but would show thanks for the last two years of using the program). One thing that really sets apart is that both my wife and I have only work laptops and my wife does not feel comfortable downloading YNAB on those since she worries about privacy. We have been looking at getting a Chromebook but there was not a YNAB app for the Chromebook (and I had read that trying to run the program on Chrome OS was an issue). Like their announcement mentions, this would now be compatible with Chromebooks since it would be a web based program.

I guess that is why they are doing 34 day trial to see what you think of it.

Also, they do allow you to import your old budget into the new system (what happens if you do not set up the subscription is beyond me).

http://www.youneedabudget.com/learn/guide/transition-guide#migrate

YNAB posted:

Migrating a YNAB 4 Budget

If a brand-new budget isn’t for you, here’s how to import your YNAB 4 budget:

Be sure your YNAB 4 is updated to a new version (at least 4.3.814). To be sure, just click “Check for Updates” in the YNAB 4 (Mac) or File (Windows) Menu to be sure.
Once you’re updated, select Migrate to the New YNAB from the File Menu in YNAB 4.
Create your YNAB account, or sign in to your existing account if you’ve signed up already.
Select which budget you’d like to migrate to the new YNAB.
Start budgeting, with all the joy, bells, and whistles (and goals!) that come along with it.

Moving over from YNAB 3? You’ve got to make a stop in YNAB 4 first.

Download the newest version of YNAB 4.
Open your YNAB 3 budget in YNAB 4.
Follow steps 2-5 above, including the joy part in step 5!

Moving from a Mac App Store version of YNAB 4? Write to us at help@youneedabudget.com with proof of your App Store purchase, and we'll set you up with a YNAB 4 key. Then you can follow the directions above!

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ BEATEN! drat YOU!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am in between on whether to go with the new YNAB or stay with 4. The extra cost is something that may not be needed (but would show thanks for the last two years of using the program). One thing that really sets apart is that both my wife and I have only work laptops and my wife does not feel comfortable downloading YNAB on those since she worries about privacy. We have been looking at getting a Chromebook but there was not a YNAB app for the Chromebook (and I had read that trying to run the program on Chrome OS was an issue). Like their announcement mentions, this would now be compatible with Chromebooks since it would be a web based program.

I guess that is why they are doing 34 day trial to see what you think of it.

Also, they do allow you to import your old budget into the new system (what happens if you do not set up the subscription is beyond me).

http://www.youneedabudget.com/learn/guide/transition-guide#migrate

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ BEATEN! drat YOU!

Interesting. I don't have a "check for updates" button in my YNAB 4 on PC under the File menu. I'm apparently on 4.3.761. Anyone know where I can find the update button?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's under the 'Help' button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rurutia posted:

It's under the 'Help' button.

:confused: