Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Man, I was having some fun in Elite Dangerous with a friend of mine, but then I checked this thread and learned that there is a Diamond Frogs system

I now must become a friend of the Diamond Frogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Is it possible to set the controls so that Relative Mouse is toggled on when I turn off Flight Assist and then revert when I turn Flight Assist back on?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is Horizons worth getting for full price or should I just wait or buy the cheap non-horizons version? I'm kind of itching to try this game but my gut is telling me to just wait a year or two and play it when there is a lot more stuff included.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is Horizons worth getting for full price or should I just wait or buy the cheap non-horizons version? I'm kind of itching to try this game but my gut is telling me to just wait a year or two and play it when there is a lot more stuff included.

Buy the non-horizons version or try the demo

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

deadly_pudding posted:

They love their grind. I'm amazed they haven't added Alliance ships. I don't give a drat about the Alliance because I don't care about system permits. Like, the only system permit that matters at all is Sol, for the novelty value of orbiting all your favorite hometown planets. And you get that from Feds.

WHHHAAAAAATT?? But....but that Summerland permit!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you're still on the fence about the game itself, and don't know if you should pick up horizons, pick up the base game. It's on Sale right now on Steam anyways, which is the same amount you'd get for the discount. If you hate the game, you won't really like Horizons because it just adds landing on planets right now (more stuff in the future).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dongattack posted:

Has there been any chatter about if multi-crewing is gonna have a offline component? Like hiring crew or the sideffect of being able to walk around/see other parts of your ship or something.

It was discussed by the devs I believe (?). Probably longer off than player multi crew

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008
About to head to 63 G. Capricorni myself, though I'm not entirely sure what I should do when I get there. How can I help the efforts of the Diamond Frogs?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
An hour ago I took a 'Going The Distance" mission. The mission text:

quote:

An experience pilot is needed for this high-risk cargo run. The job is to deliver a shipment of Narcotics. Once contact has been made, the pilot will be given further instructions. The cargo is pretty hot, so anyone accepting the job should be prepared for trouble.
Target: Pete Smith
Cargo: Narcotics (mission specific)
Quantity: 11/11
Time Left: 0h 30m
Reward: 219,498
Special: Mission will fail on ship destruction

So I jump into supercruise (I assume since the mission has no information on where I'm supposed to be contacted by this Pete that it's in the system where I got the mission) and wait for the 30 minutes, no contact. I switch between solo/open, I restart the game, nothing. It's now been over an hour and the mission is sitting in my transaction tab, at zero time left.

:frontear:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do not take those going the distance missions. It's loving numbing hahah. Don't take any mission that you have to rely on the game to spawn an npc like that it will not work

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

frank.club posted:

Do not take those going the distance missions. It's loving numbing hahah. Don't take any mission that you have to rely on the game to spawn an npc like that it will not work

I knew this but I gave it a chance anyway. It's *so* Frontier though, it pains me bad.
:negative:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I hope whatever they've got planned for the mission overhaul is a change from the ground up. It's true this game is way better if you play the DF meta (even if I haven't been recently) but there's no reason the missions are as bad as they are.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So maybe I got lucky with my first few missions, but I snagged a multi-part one where the end reward was about 62k credits. On top of the others I'd done, that puts me now at around 100k. Should I go right for an Eagle or save up for something more specific? I've just been flying around doing deliveries so far, and also collecting data on undiscovered stuff.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

IcePheenix posted:

About to head to 63 G. Capricorni myself, though I'm not entirely sure what I should do when I get there. How can I help the efforts of the Diamond Frogs?

Read the PGS thread, young tadpole.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Arthil posted:

So maybe I got lucky with my first few missions, but I snagged a multi-part one where the end reward was about 62k credits. On top of the others I'd done, that puts me now at around 100k. Should I go right for an Eagle or save up for something more specific? I've just been flying around doing deliveries so far, and also collecting data on undiscovered stuff.

Come to Diamond Frogs space, hop into IRC, wing up with someone and get that much money every few minutes by bounty hunting.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

EponymousMrYar posted:

For those who are stuck on Fed ranks and want to grind it via donations, I just finished my Rear Admiral grind at 17 Draconis.

17 Draconis is a system ~350ly from the bubble with two Fed factions, a service economy and a whole host of problems. The main highlight is that it spawns only charity/donation missions and you'll make consistent progress up to Rear Admiral (post captain is a bit slow at 1% being around 20k credits.)

So if you want to donation rank grind feds, grab a Robigo Asp or a Trade Python head on out there, play in 1.5 (hearsay has me believe it generates more charity missions without planet stuff getting in there) and bring a few million credits for whatever rank you want. The system's port is also an actual starport so you can bring Anaconda's, Cutters etc. up there for maximum cargo giveaways.

The main reason I say to bring a Robigo Asp, Trade Python, Robigo T6 etc. is that because the system is so far out of the bubble it tends to generate pretty good Shadow Deliveries, and more importantly, normal smuggling missions back to the bubble. Trade Python with around 200 cargo could take almost any smuggling mission there and you will make more than enough money to cover your credit donations and most cargo giving you decide to do.

Speaking of Cargo Delivery, 17 Draconis wants three groups for charity: Medical supplies, Food, and Weapons. You want to take the most expensive stuff since it seems credit value is the most important when ranking up.
Here's a simple list:
For Food, the system wants pretty much everything but you want to take Animal Meat, Coffee and Tea.
For Medical Supplies, the system pretty much wants everything as well but you want to take Performance Enhancers and Progenitor Cells.
For Weapons, take Non-Lethal Weapons and Reactive Armor. That's all the station wants.

Perusing EDDB had bubbles-edge systems that can supply that stuff fairly easily so you only have to do about 200ly travel with a full hold. Although some of the supply was a mite on the low side when I did some pickups.

As of yesterday from the writing of this post, the main charity faction is in Civil War, recovering from Boom, and Pending like, 6 different states, notably Outbreak and Famine (which I'm fairly certain they recovered from during my donation streak.)
17 Draconis is pretty messed up in the BGS side of things.

Edit: Oh right I caught wind of this system via the Fast Ranking thread on the main forums so pubbies do know about it and there were a small handful of them out where while I was doing stuff. Also I forgot to mention if you're ranking up via Auxiliary, missions signals can take 5-10 minutes to show up out there so get comfy when doing your rank missions! The plus side is that I only had one case where my first weak signal didn't have what I needed in it.

Hey so doing this, how do you actually rank up? I'm at 100% of my current Fed rank, so I need to do a rank progression mission, right?

Or does the rank keep accruing in the background, and I just do a bunch of rank ups back to back when I get to normal space? in which case how do I know when I've donated enough to hit Rear Admiral?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KakerMix posted:

An hour ago I took a 'Going The Distance" mission. The mission text:

So I jump into supercruise (I assume since the mission has no information on where I'm supposed to be contacted by this Pete that it's in the system where I got the mission) and wait for the 30 minutes, no contact. I switch between solo/open, I restart the game, nothing. It's now been over an hour and the mission is sitting in my transaction tab, at zero time left.

You need to jump to different systems. When I did one of that mine updated after I had done a few jumps, though it might be distance based since I tried jumping in and out of the system I got it in and it was only until I ranged a bit farther out that it updated.

Annath posted:

Hey so doing this, how do you actually rank up? I'm at 100% of my current Fed rank, so I need to do a rank progression mission, right?

Or does the rank keep accruing in the background, and I just do a bunch of rank ups back to back when I get to normal space? in which case how do I know when I've donated enough to hit Rear Admiral?
Your next mission board scum or two should contain your rank missions and any more non-rank missions you do should count towards the next rank. Pay attention to the LY distance and be patient for contacts in the adjacent systems.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

You need to jump to different systems. When I did one of that mine updated after I had done a few jumps, though it might be distance based since I tried jumping in and out of the system I got it in and it was only until I ranged a bit farther out that it updated.

Your next mission board scum or two should contain your rank missions and any more non-rank missions you do should count towards the next rank. Pay attention to the LY distance and be patient for contacts in the adjacent systems.

Also Yar wasn't kidding about being patient with signals showing up. You'll get spawns to adjacent empty systems but it takes loving forever for the game to decide to spawn them for some reason.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got a mission offering to take me to Recruit, but it's to pick up stolen cargo 350LY away :shepicide:

Some you're saying I should continue to scum the board, doing donation missions until a rank mission appears with a nearby target?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Some you're saying I should continue to scum the board, doing donation missions until a rank mission appears with a nearby target?

Exactly. You still gain rank even when the bar is 100% so there's no worry about lost progression there.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
The only issue is the fed grind isn't as 'useful' to a newish player because the imperial eagle and courier are both assloads more affordable then the dropship, and and iggle is literally rank 1 in empire. why isn't there a rank 1 or 2 fed entry ship in the cobra 3-courier price range?

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

Aurra posted:

Is it possible to set the controls so that Relative Mouse is toggled on when I turn off Flight Assist and then revert when I turn Flight Assist back on?

You probably need autohotkey for this. No more than one function is generally bound to a key in elite's config.

Also, I agree, we should should all probably go to the PGS thread to help the Diamond Frogs.

Sammich fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 29, 2015

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

To the guys with questions about starting out. Listen to the goons saying to get on irc and wing up for bounty hunting. Combat is nothing to be afraid of and in one solid night hitting bounties you can be in a cobra or a viper. This will make bounty hunting even easier and before you know it you'll have enough loot to open up plenty of options from there.

I spent last night with two other goons in small ships bounty hunting and now I'm in a viper packing two multi cannons and pulse lasers, all gimballed because I suck. I'm hoping I can do it again tonight and upgrade a bunch of the internals.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

I think that was flat-out stated to be the case since we won't be able to shove anything with a FSD in there because reasons.

I hope this means that they'll still at least be able to supercruise in system, otherwise they'll have some VERY short legs.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HiroProtagonist posted:

I hope this means that they'll still at least be able to supercruise in system, otherwise they'll have some VERY short legs.

SC requires an FSD. ;)

You'll have to scoop your fighters before you transition back to super cruise.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm pretty sure the description of one of the ships (the Anaconda I think) says it can fit a Sidewinder in the hangar bay, so I'm hoping that's an option.

I hope we at least get a hangar bay ship that has a vaguely decent cargo hold, ferrying stuff to your ship in the SRV is already a pain with the 2t limit, and I can't imagine how much more annoying it would be doing that at an outpost with having to request docking every single time :suicide:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I'm fitting a Vulture to be my first combat ship. I've been reading posts in here about some of the fitting and I guess I wasnt a laser and a shotgun. I've had those 2 and A class shields, FSD, thrusters, and power distribution. How else should I kit the ship? Power seems to be a big constraint right now and I want to know the lowdown on what else to get for it and how it plays out before I make a fool out of myself fighting npc lowtax or something.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Icedude posted:

I'm pretty sure the description of one of the ships (the Anaconda I think) says it can fit a Sidewinder in the hangar bay, so I'm hoping that's an option.

I hope we at least get a hangar bay ship that has a vaguely decent cargo hold, ferrying stuff to your ship in the SRV is already a pain with the 2t limit, and I can't imagine how much more annoying it would be doing that at an outpost with having to request docking every single time :suicide:

They have said recently that it will be condors and imperial fighters only.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Just got back from an exploration run. Went about 6k ly out from Sol, took about 10 hours to get out (scanning all metallic/water/EL planets) and ~4 to get back (scanning all EL and Water, and undiscovered metallic planets that were in the terraformable range.) Some SRV fuckery was involved each way as well.

Metal-rich planets don't seem to be as rare as I've heard people say. I've heard that they're about as rare as Earthlikes, but I found a bunch of metal-rich and only about 5 Earthlikes on the whole journey. I landed on two and they seem to have higher grade metals to mine than the other metallic planets.

I did find one undiscovered Earthlike, and it was only about 1000 ly from the bubble. It was 1200 ls from the parent star and someone had already scanned everything in the system within 1000 ls, so I guess they didn't have the good scanner. Good times for me.

Made about 9m credits on the trip and went from ~30% Pathfinder to 0% Ranger (I think, I moved up one rank and I think the new one is ranger.) Exploration income isn't quite where I'd like it to be, but it wasn't bad money at least. Took forever to sell all that data though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

xiansi posted:

Holy poo poo, a space SR-71. I want one!

Well, ok not 'space' as such from that description, but getting something like this (to be stored in fighter bay of larger ship) when flyable atmospheres come along would be neat. They don't have to keep the fact it was poo poo in Frontier Elite.

Well in Frontier the Sidewinder couldn't hyperspace (justified in ED as 'more advanced, compact hyperdrives), so anything could happen.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So can I buy Elite: Dangerous for $15, buy ED: Horizons at a discount, and then steam refund E:D?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So can I buy Elite: Dangerous for $15, buy ED: Horizons at a discount, and then steam refund E:D?

This is :frontear: we're talking about. It will probably not only work, Frontier will even forget to take your Cobra IV away since you need both base game and expansion to buy it.

Just try it and tell us if it worked out or if you made a complicated mess and a lot of headache for Frontier-support. :v:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Honky Dong Country posted:

To the guys with questions about starting out. Listen to the goons saying to get on irc and wing up for bounty hunting. Combat is nothing to be afraid of and in one solid night hitting bounties you can be in a cobra or a viper. This will make bounty hunting even easier and before you know it you'll have enough loot to open up plenty of options from there.

I spent last night with two other goons in small ships bounty hunting and now I'm in a viper packing two multi cannons and pulse lasers, all gimballed because I suck. I'm hoping I can do it again tonight and upgrade a bunch of the internals.

Going all gimballed isn't a bad thing...a lot of people do that. If your target uses chaff, just untarget your target and your weapons will fire straight ahead. The only issue this causes is that if you're locked on to a specific component (the power plant, always the power plant), once you retarget the dude you'll have to reselect the component again. Not recommended for anything other than PvE.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I will be around tonight to bring new tadpoles into HazReses for fun and profit. Send me a friend request in-game (name is Hiro_Protagonist) or ping me on IRC if you see me on.

I have been hanging around Xihe, and if you run with me you might get a chance to see PvP. I regularly hunt down any pubbies spotted for fun and profit as Xihe is a fairly high traffic system. :getin:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

HiroProtagonist posted:

I will be around tonight to bring new tadpoles into HazReses for fun and profit. Send me a friend request in-game (name is Hiro_Protagonist) or ping me on IRC if you see me on.

I have been hanging around Xihe, and if you run with me you might get a chance to see PvP. I regularly hunt down any pubbies spotted for fun and profit as Xihe is a fairly high traffic system. :getin:

I'll be on tonight trying to make money on xihe. Plz don't pvp me.

I don't know what time though. I'll be in the DF irc when I log in.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

They have said recently that it will be condors and imperial fighters only.

I could see them adding an option to launch a stripped down (aka no FSD) Sidewinder, but I don't even want to think about how you might handle jumping away from your main ship and coming back and D:

Actually, a decent hangar option would be a cargo barge that can land on small pads and allow a large ship to (slowly) trade at outposts.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

deadly_pudding posted:

They love their grind. I'm amazed they haven't added Alliance ships. I don't give a drat about the Alliance because I don't care about system permits. Like, the only system permit that matters at all is Sol, for the novelty value of orbiting all your favorite hometown planets. And you get that from Feds.

Pure theory here but i reckon we're gonna be seeing more of the alliance this year with the thargoid stuff, alliance and thargoids are connected, via the Argent Aerodynamics Amalgamated Incorporated shipyards who should be making the alliance only ships. There's a fuckload of ship manufacturers they haven't put in yet, AAAI, Gupta Industrial Corporation, Reorte Driveyards, also the various weapons manufacturers and stuff. The sort of detail that's sorely lacking from E:D right now and it's all already written.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
So the Data Scanner is just straight up broken for me. I set a key for it, turned on fire to deploy hardpoints (which I hate), have it set for secondary fire in the fire group panel, and try to use it in turret mode.

Nothing.

Fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Strategic Tea posted:

I could see them adding an option to launch a stripped down (aka no FSD) Sidewinder, but I don't even want to think about how you might handle jumping away from your main ship and coming back and D:

Actually, a decent hangar option would be a cargo barge that can land on small pads and allow a large ship to (slowly) trade at outposts.

I would love for this to be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Pure theory here but i reckon we're gonna be seeing more of the alliance this year with the thargoid stuff, alliance and thargoids are connected, via the Argent Aerodynamics Amalgamated Incorporated shipyards who should be making the alliance only ships. There's a fuckload of ship manufacturers they haven't put in yet, AAAI, Gupta Industrial Corporation, Reorte Driveyards, also the various weapons manufacturers and stuff. The sort of detail that's sorely lacking from E:D right now and it's all already written.

Wait what? Thargoid poo poo is actually gonna happen and isn't just a dumb meme?

• Locked thread