Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was entertaining seeing a bunch of goons blather on about luke and rey being mary sues showing they have no idea what that term means at all.

w-what's a hero's journey?

TFA has a hero journey in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I see what you did there, subtle. By saying goons don't know definitions, you just proved your own by point cuz you are a goon and don't know what a hero journey is. I get it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that's an interesting take.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
He's "Snatch Duster", not "Word Knower"

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For reals, who is the hero and what is their journey?

Surely not Finn, he is coward traitor that doesn't save anyone and loses in a light bat battle.

Han dies.

Chewie is still chewie

Poe was already heroic and was doing his job.

Rey? She wanted to run away from everything. Not heroic. She didn't save the galaxy by destroying the deathplanet. She didn't stop Ren from loving her up or finn. She was allowed to go find Luke with Chewie for some reason, i guess cuz she could fly the Falcon and no one else could. Probably Poe could but he probs got drunk and a blowjob because he killed deathplanet.

So who is the hero and what was the journey?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Snatch Duster, Care-mad or Butt-mad?

Find out tonight on GBS News at Nine!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he doesn't even know which character it is, that's precious.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Snatch Duster, Care-mad or Butt-mad?

Find out tonight on GBS News at Nine!

I'm just asking questions. I don't know words cuz i'm a gooney goon gooner.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

he doesn't even know which character it is, that's precious.

OH i get it, its bb8.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Snatch Duster posted:

I'm just asking questions. I don't know words cuz i'm a gooney goon gooner.

Way to spoil mye xclusive report. Now they all know it's Butt-Mad. gently caress! My producer is gonna make me cover the daddening now

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Way to spoil mye xclusive report. Now they all know it's Butt-Mad. gently caress! My producer is gonna make me cover the daddening now

Heh, looks like you're gettin busted down field reporter.

Just realized it was actualy traitor trooper.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wikipedia posted:

In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey, is the common template of a broad category of tales that involve a hero who goes on an adventure, and in a decisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes home changed or transformed.

From Joseph Campbell (super well-known mythologist), the journey is separated into 3 acts (sound familiar?) with 17 stages. The first act is called Departure and is 5 stages:

quote:

The Call to Adventure: The hero begins in a situation of normality from which some information is received that acts as a call to head off into the unknown.

Rey leaves Jakku, where she's lived for as long as she can remember.

quote:

Refusal of the Call: Often when the call is given, the future hero first refuses to heed it. This may be from a sense of duty or obligation, fear, insecurity, a sense of inadequacy, or any of a range of reasons that work to hold the person in his or her current circumstances.

Rey keeps saying she needs to get back to Jakku and not continue her journey.

quote:

Supernatural Aid: Once the hero has committed to the quest, consciously or unconsciously, his guide and magical helper appears or becomes known. More often than not, this supernatural mentor will present the hero with one or more talismans or artifacts that will aid him later in his quest.

Han reveals to her that the legends of Luke and the Jedi are true. Also Maz gives Rey Luke's lightsaber.

quote:

Crossing the Threshold: This is the point where the person actually crosses into the field of adventure, leaving the known limits of his or her world and venturing into an unknown and dangerous realm where the rules and limits are not known.

Rey uses the Force without actually understanding how. Also the unknown realm is obviously her escape from Starkiller Base.

quote:

Belly of the Whale: The belly of the whale represents the final separation from the hero's known world and self. By entering this stage, the person shows willingness to undergo a metamorphosis.

Rey accepts the Force, allowing her to beat Kylo Ren. She accepts that her destiny isn't on Jakku, and sets out to find Luke and presumably train with him.

e: this is from 10 minutes on Wikipedia and what I remember from college but I guaran-loving-tee someone has written a Masters thesis on how the OT follows the monomyth concept to a T.

e2: in fact I'm relatively sure Lucas himself has admitted as much, I'll try to find the source

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 29, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Snatch Duster posted:

Heh, looks like you're gettin busted down field reporter.

Just realized it was actualy traitor trooper.

Took you long enough. Goddam, son.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drunk asian neighbor posted:

From Joseph Campbell (super well-known mythologist), the journey is separated into 3 acts (sound familiar?) with 17 stages. The first act is called Departure and is 5 stages:

Rey leaves Jakku, where she's lived for as long as she can remember.

Rey keeps saying she needs to get back to Jakku and not continue her journey.

Han reveals to her that the legends of Luke and the Jedi are true. Also Maz gives Rey Luke's lightsaber.

Rey uses the Force without actually understanding how. Also the unknown realm is obviously her escape from Starkiller Base.

Rey accepts the Force, allowing her to beat Kylo Ren. She accepts that her destiny isn't on Jakku, and sets out to find Luke and presumably train with him.

e: this is from 10 minutes on Wikipedia and what I remember from college but I guaran-loving-tee someone has written a Masters thesis on how the OT follows the monomyth concept to a T.

e2: in fact I'm relatively sure Lucas himself has admitted as much, I'll try to find the source

like is that suppose to happen in order, cuz it doesn't

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Took you long enough. Goddam, son.

never said i was a smart man

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

joseph campbell said lucas was his best student.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

like is that suppose to happen in order, cuz it doesn't

Yes it does? She leaves Jakku, immediately tries to go back, meets Han who reveals the truth about the Jedi, is captured and uses the Force to resist Kylo Ren and escape the base, and then very obviously accepts the Force and uses it to beat Ren (she literally trances out and thinks "The Force..." right before she turns the tide of the battle. Also she refuses to accept the journey from the moment she leaves Jakku, through Maz's fortress and her capture, and it's only at the very end when she accepts the Force that she understands she needs to move forward with her journey

Groovelord Neato posted:

joseph campbell said lucas was his best student.

Makes sense. And multiple people involved with TFA have talked about how the trilogies as a whole are supposed to be generally the same overall arcs/themes, so...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Remember those monks who would put their brain in a fishbowl carried by a robot spider? I remember during or just before the prequels that was their first mail-away figure since the early 80s and people just falling all over themselves for it. I sincerely doubt most even knew what it was, but it was "Star Wars" and "rare" so they HAD to have it!
Haha poo poo this just jiggled an ancient memory. My brother was a figure collecting star wars fanatic in the 90s and I'm certain he had this but I can't remember what it was or what exactly it looked like at all. Of course he never took any of them out of their packaging and I was constantly pissed that he had like five times as many star wars toys as I did and you're not even playing with them dude come on :arghfist::(

He also had the Mace Windu figure that came out a year-ish before episode 1. And I think I remember it being significantly smaller than all the other figures for some reason???

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Snatch Duster posted:

For reals, who is the hero and what is their journey?

Surely not Finn, he is coward traitor that doesn't save anyone and loses in a light bat battle.

Han dies.

Chewie is still chewie

Poe was already heroic and was doing his job.

Rey? She wanted to run away from everything. Not heroic. She didn't save the galaxy by destroying the deathplanet. She didn't stop Ren from loving her up or finn. She was allowed to go find Luke with Chewie for some reason, i guess cuz she could fly the Falcon and no one else could. Probably Poe could but he probs got drunk and a blowjob because he killed deathplanet.

So who is the hero and what was the journey?

Refusing the call to action is a primary ingredient to the Hero's Journey

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yes it does? She leaves Jakku, immediately tries to go back, meets Han who reveals the truth about the Jedi, is captured and uses the Force to resist Kylo Ren and escape the base, and then very obviously accepts the Force and uses it to beat Ren (she literally trances out and thinks "The Force..." right before she turns the tide of the battle. Also she refuses to accept the journey from the moment she leaves Jakku, through Maz's fortress and her capture, and it's only at the very end when she accepts the Force that she understands she needs to move forward with her journey

Thats a pretty lovely journey. She didn't even blow anything up.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Refusing the call to action is a primary ingredient to the Hero's Journey

Thats all fine and good for luke which makes sense. But Rey's "journey" is missing several of those steps. Hers has like 5 out of 12.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

Thats a pretty lovely journey. She didn't even blow anything up.

Thats all fine and good for luke which makes sense. But Rey's "journey" is missing several of those steps. Hers has like 5 out of 12.

so you're like 14 right

also you realize that chart covers the original trilogy and we're at movie 1 of 3 in the new trilogy and the new movie literally follows the first act to its conclusion

you're either monumentally dense or a bad troll and either way it's pretty :psyduck:

e: I think I'm just gonna go with bad troll and stop responding because one way or another I don't know how I can possibly dumb it down any further for you

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

so you're like 14 right

also you realize that chart covers the original trilogy and we're at movie 1 of 3 in the new trilogy and the new movie literally follows the first act to its conclusion

you're either monumentally dense or a bad troll and either way it's pretty :psyduck:

e: I think I'm just gonna go with bad troll and stop responding because one way or another I don't know how I can possibly dumb it down any further for you

her journey was poo poo and you know it.

It is missing several steps and the journey barely follows your guide

EDIT: lol you didn't even read the chart. it only covers ANH for luke.

EDIT2: hahaha so you saying TFA has her entire hero journey, but we will also have to watch the other two movies for the other two acts of her already fully realize hero journey. Man you are dense, retarded, or a troll.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jurgan posted:

No, it was the second blue ranger who was a little kid. I know all the sentai footage was dubbed over by the American cast, but it was really obvious when a twelve year old's voice was dubbed over the full-grown blue ranger.

No I'm talking about in the Japanese source material.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't like thing, thing is stupid, and people who like thing are idiots.

Alternatively, I like thing, you're a idiot for not liking thing, here's why thing is cool and good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rey had a hard time flying the Falcon at first, she smashed it into the ground a couple times trying to take off. Total ace pilot guyz.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geisladisk posted:

I don't like thing, thing is stupid, and people who like thing are idiots.

Alternatively, I like thing, you're a idiot for not liking thing, here's why thing is cool and good.

get out of here with your reasoning

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rey had a hard time flying the Falcon at first, she smashed it into the ground a couple times trying to take off. Total ace pilot guyz.

I did the same thing with my car first time I drove, where is my movie

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

her journey was poo poo and you know it.

It is missing several steps and the journey barely follows your guide

EDIT: lol you didn't even read the chart. it only covers ANH for luke.

EDIT2: hahaha so you saying TFA has her entire hero journey, but we will also have to watch the other two movies for the other two acts of her already fully realize hero journey. Man you are dense, retarded, or a troll.

No, I said that TFA is act 1 of her 3-act journey. I said that multiple times. Even if I'm wrong about the chart, my point still stands. I literally broke down the 5 stages comprising the first act, I dunno what else to tell you :shrug:

e: I mean the first 2 stages of Act 2 are where the hero undergoes a series of trials to begin their transformation and experiences "a love that has the power and significance of the all-powerful, all encompassing, unconditional love that a fortunate infant may experience with his or her mother." It's pretty obvious that Ep8 is going to involve both Rey training as a Jedi and also some revelations about her family (and if she's Luke's daughter than obv she's experiencing the love of a parent).

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 29, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

No, I said that TFA is act 1 of her 3-act journey. I said that multiple times. Even if I'm wrong about the chart, my point still stands. I literally broke down the 5 stages comprising the first act, I dunno what else to tell you :shrug:

His name is "Snatch Duster" not "Graphic Reader"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

less tvtropes tier piss posting, more awful loving EU garbage

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

From what i can tell, you said she finished her journey. You renegging now? Typical troll back pedal.

EDIT: Also, the first act only has 4 steps for the journey, not five dummy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snatch Duster posted:

I did the same thing with my car first time I drove, where is my movie

Give me five million dollars and I'll get you in contact with my uncle who works at Nintendo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

sinking belle posted:

I'm sorry but all of these except the weird "Tie Bomber with a Penis" thing own pretty hard

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

His name is "Snatch Duster" not "Graphic Reader"

damnit how did I miss that

e: 22 probations and a ban lol I got trolled hardcore

For content: the Dorsk 81 thing is most retarded because it's an entire planet of clones:

quote:

The Khommites were a Near-Human species hailing from the planet of Khomm. Circa 1000 BBY the Khommite people achieved a level of cloning technology far surpassing that of the rest of the galaxy. Believing that their society had achieved perfection, the people of Khomm began the cloning of "perfect" individuals, allowing their society to remain unchanged for the next millennium. Khommites' digestive systems were so specified that they could only eat processed food wafers.

Viewing Force-sensitivity as an undesirable fluke, the Khommites endeavored to remove the trait from their species. Despite this fact the trait would occasionally surface, as in the case of Dorsk 81, a Khommite Jedi Knight.

The Khommites were rigidly conformist in their views, and saw any disruption of the status quo as a threat to their way of life.

ignoring the EU "here is a whole culture that has perfected cloning but has zero bearing on the Clone Wars" thing (because how many times has that happened before), this means that there is an entire planet of people with no last names, and no repeats. Their rolodexes must be overflowing.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 29, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think in one story they used some temple as a conduit to shoot Force through Dorsk 81 to push a fleet of star destroyers away or something.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think in one story they used some temple as a conduit to shoot Force through Dorsk 81 to push a fleet of star destroyers away or something.

Reminds me of House of Cosby's, the web series that got Justin Roland very nearly sued by Bill Cosby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWUBnrIaphQ

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sinking belle posted:

I love the storm trooper pressing his face directly against the glass to see out

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wanna chat up that sandperson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

sinking belle posted:

Dear god, someone five me the wikipedia links to this craziness.

• Locked thread