Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troutpack
Dec 29, 2008

He wants to watch him suffer.
Is there anyone who would like a gifted copy of Payday 2? I bought a 4-pack like two years ago, and still have two extra copies. Especially anyone with an extra copy of Zombie Army trilogy that they could gift me in return...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Who would say TNO gets better after the prologue? I mean, it does, but the prologue is still great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Scalding Coffee posted:

People should buy the gently caress out of this. Buy many copies of this and give to friends.

I keep forgetting to play and beat the second game. I should get on that, I enjoyed the hell out of the first one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive seen people say the 2nd one is not as good. like it falls into the trap of making fun of genre conventions and then doing them anyway

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Which of the many Shadowruns is good and why?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SelenicMartian posted:

They're all decent. Make a troll called Rex Everyman with maximum strength and stomp on through.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

I don't know but Kragger just gave me ShadowRun: Dragonfall: Directors Cut! So I'll be able to tell you about that one soonish.
In unrelated news, Kragger was cursed by a gypsy witch to be a kind and generous person who everyone likes. If you listen closely, some nights when the sales are full you can hear his gifting-cry echo across the hills.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

SelenicMartian posted:

I've only played Shadowrun Returns and it's supposed to be the weakest of the three, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. My main gripe is that it's not as fleshed out as it could be, i.e. none of the systems have as much depth as I'd like. It's still totally worth the $3 and 8-10 hours you'll spend on it, though. I wrote more about it here if you want to know more.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SelenicMartian posted:

Dragonfall is better than returns because of engine improvements, but I've read you can just get both, import Returns' campaign into Dragonfall and play it that way.

The recommended entry point is Dragonfall DC as I understand it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SelenicMartian posted:

only dragonfall

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Who would say TNO gets better after the prologue? I mean, it does, but the prologue is still great.
I don't know if it's his voice or what he's saying but BJ's introspections are just really compelling for some reason and hearing more of those throughout the game were rewards in and of themselves.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both really good. Depending on how you build your character, you can get through entire areas without fighting.

Returns (usually referred to as Dead Man's Switch) is alright but, nowhere near as good as the other two. Feel free to skip that one.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Not on Steam, but how is Battlefield 4 these days? The premium edition w all the DLC content is $20, which looks pretty tempting! Is there still a decent amount of people playing the game?

edit - I should mention that I'd be interested in trying out a new FPS. The new Rainbow 6 looks neat but is bogged down by microtransaction bullshit?

CerebralDonut fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 29, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bf4 on ps4 is still populated. no clue on pc. also that version was $8 in a psn sale recently

e: actually maybe it was 18. my memory is bad

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 29, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Slur posted:

So Half Minute Hero 1+2 (as a bundle) is $2 on the Steam sale right now. I think everyone should pick those games up. They're fun.

How is Half Minute Hero 2 different then 1?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Kibayasu posted:

The prologue is so great, in fact, I wish it made up more of the game. The 60s alternate history stuff is unique but I absolutely loved seeing classic Wolfenstein stuff in a new game. I think it's for this reason that I ultimately love The Old Blood more than TNO. Castles, catacombs, tech labs... it had it all!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I actually liked the writing and characters/story in TNO more than the shooting. :3:
Shooting was still great, but I elected not to get Old Blood because I'd herd the focus was more on gunplay than, uh...writeplay.
TNO was really, really good. My surprise game of the year. I was not looking forward to it in the slightest.

SelenicMartian posted:

Shadowrun Chronicles is not made by the same dev house that makes the good ones. Chronicles is some sort of lazily Shadowrun-esque multiplayer game or whatever where you go on samey shadowruns forever.

Harebrained makes the 'good' three - Shadowrun 1 (Deadman's Chest), SH2 (Dragonfall), and SH3 (Hong Kong).
SH1 is 'okay' story-wise and has the least evolved gameplay, 2 and 3 improve on it with 2 being the best story but 3 being a little deeper into characters and poo poo.

3 has more and slightly better shadowruns - /missions - whereas 2 has fewer.
Get Dragonfall and Hong Kong and then Deadman's, in that order.

If you get 1, you can import it into Dragonfall's engine, which makes 1 a little more fun, but...:shrug:

They're all short-ish, so you won't be spending Baldur's Gate 2 levels of time on each one.

I didn't really like any of them, with regards to the combat. I thought it was just so loving stupid and boring. A lot of people seem to like the combat gameplay, so that's a matter of opinion. They make better adventure games than any strategy-ish combat games. They have fun writing, though.

I kickstarted Shadowrun 1, and bought Dragonfall, and then decided not to buy Hong Kong - I played it with a friend about halfway through before I decided to not play anymore.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Witcher 4 looking pretty good.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

CerebralDonut posted:

Not on Steam, but how is Battlefield 4 these days? The premium edition w all the DLC content is $20, which looks pretty tempting! Is there still a decent amount of people playing the game?

edit - I should mention that I'd be interested in trying out a new FPS. The new Rainbow 6 looks neat but is bogged down by microtransaction bullshit?

BF4 is still peaking at 40,000 players daily according to BF4 Stats.

Hardline is down to 3k. :rip:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CerebralDonut posted:

Very populated, you won't have any issues at all finding games.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

BexGu posted:

How is Half Minute Hero 2 different then 1?

-The Hero 30 mode is the only mode in the game, but is greatly expanded upon, with 5 different story arcs to go through

-More story-focused than the previous title. The satire takes a while to build up to, but the punchline is worth it.

-"Open world" map system and hidden dungeons to explore to get new gear

-Map-maker

-The PC version of the game has received a significantly better port than its predecessor

-Multiplayer with lobbies

There's a lot I'm forgetting, but I summed up the critical points.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Drifter posted:

It's keeping me entertained. Imagine the text based parts of pillars of eternity or something along those lines, with an AD&D tabletop miniatures meta narrative/gameplay and kinda simple, but not boring Batman-lite combat.

If you like the first hour, it only gets more complicated and interesting and better. I've played four hours total so far, and am halfway through the story-mode adventures in terms of bosses, but each 'adventure' has more and more parts and stories to it. It seems like the longer you go the longer it lasts - I'd expect the game to take maybe around 10-12 (or so) hours to beat...at a guess.

And then there's some sort of endless game mode, which sounds like all the adventures randomly like some sort of infinite monster tower mode in an rpg or whatever. It's all guesswork on my end, though. I've only played 4 hours so far.

Hmm, yeah, I'm intrigued by your mention of progressively more complex and lengthy plot lines. It didn't look like a story heavy game, but that is definitely piquing my interest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

Hmm, yeah, I'm intrigued by your mention of progressively more complex and lengthy plot lines. It didn't look like a story heavy game, but that is definitely piquing my interest.

I meant to say it's more of a bunch of small adventure modules - like quests - than, say, Baldur's Gate. Many of those modules then interconnect or get expanded by getting unlocked. it's more like you're playing AD&D with a friend who is dungeon mastering for you.

Don't get me wrong, I mean, it's not Grim Fandango with combat or anything.

It's fun. I like it. It's up to you if it's ten dollars of fun, but you sound more and more like you'll enjoy it. Play the first two hours and see, and get a refund if you don't like it.

The beginning is more simple and becomes a little more complex over time - so if you play it don't just think 'this is it?' and shut it off - , but the game won't, you know, dramatically change - at least not that I can see so far.

I went in not expecting anything, and I'll definitely finish the game. I probably won't do the 'endless' mode though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 29, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I realize this is a popular game and I will get slammed, but how in TYOOL 2015 does a game with Witcher 3's camera get shipped?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

I realize this is a popular game and I will get slammed, but how in TYOOL 2015 does a game with Witcher 3's camera get shipped?

I got used to the camera about 10 minutes in. :shrug: It's not a big deal.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Help me goons, Mad Max or Witcher 3? 'cause I can't afford both.

I'm leaning Mad Max because I don't think my computer can run W3.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

I'm only an hour and a half into W3, yeah it will probably kill your computer though it is pretty, but so far it has awful controls and camera. Even in the tutorial it's telling me to press a button but won't actually do anything. Extremely disappointed, I upgraded my video card in part to play it and now it's going back for a refund.

EDIT: to put this in perspective I enjoyed the gameplay of Alpha Protocol more

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 29, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've got such a huge backlog I decided I'm just going to wait for the inevitable Witcher 3 EE

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Red Mundus posted:

Mad Max's enjoyment hinges on how much you can tolerate the endless collectathon and map clearing nature of it all and it's not really comparable to TW3 cause it's not an RPG.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Shadow of Mordor is fun and seems to indeed have a really good port, but drat is your guy's walking speed slow. Might as well have made sprint the default.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

IMO
Mad max is a sort of fun arkham/mordor clone with some stupid systems (minefields) but a fairly cool setting

witcher 3 is one of the best games of the last 5 years in every way except UI

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You might consider Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm enjoying it, with the understanding that you don't need to do all the collectible sidequests the game throws at you.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You might consider Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm enjoying it, with the understanding that you don't need to do all the collectible sidequests the game throws at you.

And it features one of the worst combat systems I've ever seen in an RPG, along with a terrible counter intuitive UI.

But, it does have a moderately big and pretty world with lots to do and see.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Going back to the original request...

Red Mundus posted:

Steam and Origin both have refund policies now, so you can buy the game and just ask for your money back if you aren't enjoying it in two hours (for Steam) or within the first day after launching it (for Origin.)

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Troutpack posted:

Is there anyone who would like a gifted copy of Payday 2? I bought a 4-pack like two years ago, and still have two extra copies. Especially anyone with an extra copy of Zombie Army trilogy that they could gift me in return...

I have a copy of Origin: Prelude I can trade. I realize that's cheap, but it's what I got.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gargamale/profile

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

What are the problems with the camera? I have only used a controller so far, but it felt like any other camera in any other game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Red Mundus posted:

If you're worried about performance, then Mad Max might be better. It was a very well optimized port form what I could tell. It ran very well on my 560ti, even though the minimum recommendation was a 660ti, and supposedly on high settings too.

What Deakul said is kind of true, the game feels like it was needlessly padded with repetetive side-content simply because its an open world game. The main plot line is pretty entertaining though, so as long as you're not worried about unlocking every last upgrade, you can probably just mostly stick to the missions plus whatever side stuff you feel like doing until you get bored with it. The game also features a neat screenshot mode if you like taking pretty pictures.

Wouldn't hurt to get Witcher 3, and if your computer can't run it then you simply refund it and then buy Mad Max.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 29, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, gently caress that duck.

• Locked thread