Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did that already. "That's totally different, he took the orange tip off and was pointing them at people in a loving park. Someone called it in as an active shooter, what the gently caress were they supposed to do, let him shoot people?"

Show him this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5TEoo-EY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did that already. "That's totally different, he took the orange tip off and was pointing them at people in a loving park. Someone called it in as an active shooter, what the gently caress were they supposed to do, let him shoot people?"

"Look, even a grand jury didn't see there as being enough evidence to prosecute. Who are you to argue?"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mandatory lesbian posted:

the dad will just say that he taught you right and not to do that and say that if tamir had had a good father he wouldn't be dead. trust me i know, it doesnt matter what the facts are

Oh yeah he did that too plus a rousing round of "they needed some loving parents"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad still doesn't think the cops did anything wrong. He called him a "thug playing thug games in the park" and said that the police always assume it's a real gun and were justified in lighting him up.

In the meantime white kids are buying up realistic airsoft replicas for outdoor wargames.

Damned if I can figure out where they draw the line

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I spent the entire day trying to get a drivers license and register my car in a new state and I can't agree more. It was the most Kafkaesque experience I've ever had, and I still have to visit two different state offices tomorrow (after waiting in line for hours at three different locations today).

No one building can handle all the steps of either of those two services.

What state? I have my guesses.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

In the meantime white kids are buying up realistic airsoft replicas for outdoor wargames.

My cousin straight imported those things from Japan, and he got them without the, "lovely orange tip". They are quite good mock ups. He doesn't care if that's illegal, he's rich.

Even Tamir's family knew there would be no indictment, but still the prosecutor has to get in a jab at them to really make clear to certain Clevelanders to know their place.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What's really disgusting is that you can literally find an example of a white person doing the same thing and being alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE059hTqPJU

Also the orange tip on airsoft guns isn't required by law anywhere except maybe California. Don't have to import from Japan, just buy from Atlanta or Cali or something. $150 gets you a super realistic looking M4.

We got the cops called on us a couple of times playing at my local field, but because we're white and covered in camo they just thought we were the local militia.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We used to take those (no orange tips) to high school and use them in the parking lot, and that was post columbine.

Being white yo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh yeah he did that too plus a rousing round of "they needed some loving parents"

From the picture thread:

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Not really the same. Now if, say, a bunch of grown men and women pointed actual guns at federal agents

Or if he had an actual gun and stood there threatening the police and society in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwlfXdDDYA

Or if he actually started shooting the cops with the plastic pellets in the toy gun

Or if he had an actual gun and started shooting at people's cars and pointing it at police when they showed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy6EVbrBpOY

that would be different. There's one common theme that runs between all of these people that's different from Tamir Rice. Something that kept the police from just instantly shooting them and instead trying to calm them down and take them alive. Weird.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

What's really disgusting is that you can literally find an example of a white person doing the same thing and being alive:

Also the orange tip on airsoft guns isn't required by law anywhere except maybe California. Don't have to import from Japan, just buy from Atlanta or Cali or something. $150 gets you a super realistic looking M4.

We got the cops called on us a couple of times playing at my local field, but because we're white and covered in camo they just thought we were the local militia.

Yeah, but he didn't have to purchase most of them so he bilked his folks for 'em. :shrug:

For whatever reason in the present, he's never purchased actual firearms, though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gravel Gravy posted:

I dunno, seems pretty black and white to me.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
seems like america's especially bad this morning

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why do people flee to Mexico, do they think Mexico doesn't work with the US to find and send back fugitives who don't get themselves killed first?

Pretty sure he fled because of it. Like as soon as it went on social media they started packing and heading for the border so that when the police arrived they'd be long gone.

I'm going to say literally because of movies since that's what people do in Westerns after they rob the Wells Fargo stage coach they hide out in Mexico

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Epic High Five posted:

"No but you see if they touch anything pig or pig related they are forever condemned to hell so I'm really showing them up, you've gotta know the enemy ya know"

*firebombs Sikh temple*

"We area Judeo-Christian nation that loves Christians and Jews"

*sticks pork everywhere*

"gently caress you, Semites!"

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

DrProsek posted:

*sticks pork everywhere*

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sever. Let his racism leave him alone and unloved on his deathbed.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
You don't even have to point to white kids playing with toy guns, white people who did literal mass shootings like James Holmes and Dylann Roof were not instantly gunned down by police, but instead taken alive.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

You don't even have to point to white kids playing with toy guns, white people who did literal mass shootings like James Holmes and Dylann Roof were not instantly gunned down by police, but instead taken alive.

Those were troubled kids, with troubled homes, with no hope in Obama's America.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
White guys walk into department with loaded pellet guns and start shooting at people, police take them alive. Black man picks up a pellet gun the store is selling, carries it with him while shopping, gets shot by police.

Swan Oat posted:

Hard to make direct comparisons because black people aren't usually behind mass shootings.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 29, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Serious question: is there any purpose to a grand jury beyond attempting to deflect blame from a prosecutor for making a controversial decision on whether to charge someone?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Here's an interesting bit about Part 3

I've read up on the amount of pressure to conform exists in police precients, causing minority or women police officer be some of the most vehement defenders of the status quo to protect their bonifides. It's going to take a sea change in culture, pressure, and bureacratic will to change the toxicity that exits in a lot of station houses. But I don't see how we can't do anything else, considering this factoid.

One possible avenue of this is a federal law passed due to a black unarmed shooting in the 90s, and having the Justice Dept shaking down individual police departments.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-the-doj-reforms-a-police-department-like-ferguson/

Of course, the efficacy of this depends on the cooperation of the actual city or municipality targetted, which in turn depends on the power and mobilization of people pissed off about this poo poo.

Positive change has to start somewhere and I don't think relying on the Justice Department is going to be enough; there are just too many of these shootings every year and they seem to be increasing in number. I honestly believe that requiring, or at least setting a goal of, police departments reflecting the racial makeup of the communities they serve would be a huge positive step. The problem is that it would require active recruitment of minority officers. Just relying on voluntary applicants has only exacerbated the problem in most communities. I still go back to training and yearly retraining of officers in non-lethal response methods as the proposal most likely to be adopted and implemented. It would also be helpful if a federal task force or investigative body was established to actually study police shootings and come up with ideas on how to improve things; not for prosecution purposes but, just to figure out why they happen and how to help prevent them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

KomradeX posted:

I'm going to say literally because of movies since that's what people do in Westerns after they rob the Wells Fargo stage coach they hide out in Mexico

Every country in the western hemisphere has an extradition treaty with the US, so Mexico is only good for passing through to somewhere else.

If you're gonna go on the lam, southeast Asia or one of the more stable former Iron Curtain countries is your best bet, and even still they can send you back if the US makes a big enough stink.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Serious question: is there any purpose to a grand jury beyond attempting to deflect blame from a prosecutor for making a controversial decision on whether to charge someone?

The idea is to prevent the State from wasting resources pursuing a case that it can't win.

The flaw is that prosecutors are not required to present the best case possible to the Grand Jury.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The purpose is to determine if there is enough evidence for the prosecutor to proceed to an actual criminal trial and to protect the identity of the defendant in the case that it doesn't. The fact that they are being used by these prosecutors to say "hey it's not ME that's letting this cop off, it's THE SYSTEM" when they are in almost total control of the grand jury and its preceding is them relying on the ignorance of the populace and to give credibility to their decision to not go after the cop.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure he fled because of it. Like as soon as it went on social media they started packing and heading for the border so that when the police arrived they'd be long gone.

The funny thing is police wouldn't have arrived. Investigators have said while they're aware of the video they had yet to determine if that is definitely him, so technically he hadn't yet violated his probation.

But not meeting his probation officer and skipping the country, however, absolutely did violate his probation. :laugh:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

comes along bort posted:

Every country in the western hemisphere has an extradition treaty with the US, so Mexico is only good for passing through to somewhere else.

If you're gonna go on the lam, southeast Asia or one of the more stable former Iron Curtain countries is your best bet, and even still they can send you back if the US makes a big enough stink.

If you're rich, step one is to become a French citizen. Step two, after making some snooty movies and raping a teenager, flee to France.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why do people flee to Mexico, do they think Mexico doesn't work with the US to find and send back fugitives who don't get themselves killed first?

Fun fact: even if Mexico didn't work with the US, it's also totally legal for the US to just straight up kidnap anyone it wants anywhere in the world and put them on trial, no questions asked! :toot:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Larry Summers responds to Bernie Sanders article on reforming the fed, and is surprisingly positive

http://larrysummers.com/2015/12/29/5782/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Basically unless you flee to Russia or a similar country where there's little if any possibility of the US conducting a successful extraction op, if they want you they're going to get you.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Talmonis posted:

If you're rich, step one is to become a French citizen. Step two, after making some snooty movies and raping a teenager, flee to France.

Hold up, we're calling Chinatown snooty?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

Larry Summers responds to Bernie Sanders article on reforming the fed, and is surprisingly positive

http://larrysummers.com/2015/12/29/5782/

Nooooooooo

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The Warszawa posted:

Forget it warsz. It's USPol.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Gravel Gravy posted:

Forget it warsz. It's USPol.

Please do not steal my jokes as I come in to post them.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Berke Negri posted:

Please do not steal my jokes as I come in to post them.

You've just been gravyed.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Gravel Gravy posted:

You've just been gravyed.

A shameful Berke

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Radbot posted:

Why bother, dude hates black people and is just looking for a veneer.

Ding ding ding!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Warszawa posted:

I was more thinking his prior work, (Quoi?, Knife in the Water) and things like The Pianist.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Radish posted:

The purpose is to determine if there is enough evidence for the prosecutor to proceed to an actual criminal trial and to protect the identity of the defendant in the case that it doesn't. The fact that they are being used by these prosecutors to say "hey it's not ME that's letting this cop off, it's THE SYSTEM" when they are in almost total control of the grand jury and its preceding is them relying on the ignorance of the populace and to give credibility to their decision to not go after the cop.

I'm just glad the legal profession has such strict and high standards of ethics and conduct. That prosecutor will probably win prosecutor of the year, something he definitely deserves, because he totally didn't shirk his duty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Protests starting in Cleveland it seems. Traffic is being blocked down from the major N/S downtown street :unsmith:

/e- Actually shoreway is just blocked from 9th but I have no idea why.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

gently caress. I work downtown tonight.

At least its just the shoreway so far. It's worthless now that they've lowered the speed limit.

• Locked thread