Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

TheMadMilkman posted:

That's a very, very nice looking PAS-3. It is tubed and you will want to get it checked out. It will likely need to be recapped and cleaned. Once done, though, it will last forever.

If you posted that picture over at audiokarma.org people would be drooling.

It's possible that the amp was a Dynaco ST-70. It had a few poor design choices, which could have easily caused it to fail. If you could find the amp, they're easily repaired and modified.

The speakers he had are also in really good condition.

Apparently one week a relative came to town and copied a LOT of albums onto cassette and the setup never worked after that. Not sure why he didn't take it to get repaired, I guess that was around the time he had kids.

I can pick up the amp as well, I just didn't today. I need to make space as is.

He said that the Bass, Treble and Balance knobs on the preamp were "set up to sound perfect" and then disconnected, so they don't do anything at all. No clue why you would have that done but maybe it could be fixed? Yikes.

There's also a HUGE FM tuner and a double cassette deck that I didn't have space for or interest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
That entire setup is extremely nice, especially those LS3/5A speakers. What kind of tuner is it? The older analog ones can look pretty good in my opinion.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Chill Callahan posted:

That entire setup is extremely nice, especially those LS3/5A speakers. What kind of tuner is it? The older analog ones can look pretty good in my opinion.

I think it's the same brand as the pre-amp. It has the same kind of wood case thing.It looks really cool and has a fan on the back, like in a computer case. He said I could take whatever, except the speakers which he intends to sell. I really just wanted a record player but this stuff looks rad as heck. The cassette deck I think was bought later because it's solid black and doesn't have any wood accents at all. I can get more/better pictures of all this stuff. I don't know why I didn't think to do that in the first place.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

I think it's the same brand as the pre-amp. It has the same kind of wood case thing.It looks really cool

This is enough for me to say you should grab it. Finding good condition gear with the wood intact is getting harder and harder. I'm not saying they're worth a lot, but they're worth grabbing, repairing, and enjoying.

Shame you can't grab the speakers. I'm personally not big on the old bbc monitors myself, but they are good, and it would be sweet to have the full stereo intact.

Skip the tape deck imo.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ColdPie posted:

Replaced all seven electrolytic capacitors on my SL-23, and that appears to finally have fixed the stability problem! I've never seen the strobe pips so steady. Daft Punk doesn't sound drunk anymore. The replacement for the huge 1000uF capacitor on the main power board is like 1/3 the size of the original part, heh. The leads almost didn't reach.
Just about to pick up a SL-23 for my first TT. Almost shelled out over £400 on a second hand Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (w/GRado Black) + Speed Box DS, before I realised my desire for a record player might just fade over a couple of weeks (and anyway, I do have more important bills to pay). So it was either the Technics SL-23 or Pioneer a PL-12D (both serviced) for a starter deck.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 13, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

minivanmegafun posted:

Maybe I should finally do mine.

This was my shopping list for the SL-23, if it helps:

1x 0.47uF 50V
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UFW1HR47MDD1TD/493-11021-1-ND/4317926

2x 10uF 16V
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UMW1C100MDD1TP/493-10354-1-ND/4312613

1x 1uF 50V
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UFG1H010MDM1TD/493-10944-1-ND/4317871

2x 3.3uF 25V
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UMA1E3R3MCD2TP/493-10459-1-ND/4312718

1x 1000uF 16V
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UKA1C102MPD1TD/493-4639-1-ND/2787066

I ordered one extra of all the small ones "just in case," but didn't end up using them. Total came to less than $8, half of which was shipping. Took a bit over an hour, and I had to adjust the coarse speed pots afterwards.

spookygonk posted:

Just about to pick up a SL-23 for my first TT. Almost shelled out over £400 on a second hand Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (w/GRado Black) + Speed Box DS, before I realised my desire for a record player might just fade over a couple of weeks (and anyway, I do have more important bills to pay). So it was either the Technics SL-23 or Pioneer a PL-12D (both serviced) for a starter deck.

Obviously different markets, but for what it's worth I paid $75 for my SL-23 in great physical but poor service condition. When I first got it, I replaced the needle/cartridge with an AT95E and cleaned all four of the speed pots, which got it in good-enough working condition. Trying to track down the pitch wobble, I've replaced the belt, cleaned and lubed the spindle, oiled the motor, and now replaced the capacitors. After all that it's finally running great. Total investment in the table itself is probably around $150. There's a few SL-23 owners in this thread, so feel free to ask if you need info.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2015

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Hey, is it worth the few extra bucks to grab the TC750 with the volume knob over the one without? Need something with more oomph than the cheapo starter Behringer pre-amp and I don't want to have to jump for the volume control when I suddenly remember how much louder my other decks and things are.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=68545663

This showed up on our local Craigslist equivalent. So beautiful, and the price is pretty good, but I'm not into the hobby and have no room for it :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend any good youtube channels of people who do hi-fi overviews/reviews/related topics? I've been hooked on vwestlife for a long time (they're mostly good for falling asleep to). I recently found Techmoan and he's got some great overviews of stereo stuff that I've never heard of, but he doesn't have that much content to watch. Just today I ran across Databits and he seems good, so I'll probably watch more of his videos soon.

There are a lot of channels out there that are kind of intolerable, or focus too much on audiophile nonsense and/or their record collections. So I thought it might be worth asking for suggestions.

edit: can't believe I forgot it, but of course there's the great channel Knob Feel :v:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 14, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Knob feel is all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FzJ4lUcwQ

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Knob feel is the best.

So I have a Fisher MT-911 and I need a new cartridge/needle. Is there specific cart I need to buy or can I buy something a little fancier or will that not fit? I've never done this before and it's surprisingly hard to google.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hooked up an old Technics SL-1700 to some Koss CM 1020s through a Technics receiver I inherited, sounds great. I have a feeling I'm about to go into a deep, expensive, vinyl hole.

Edit: Also came with a matching Technics tuner and tape deck. Everything seems to be working fine, but the bulb in the tuner seems to be dead. Is that sort of thing easy to replace?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 15, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jehde posted:

Edit: Also came with a matching Technics tuner and tape deck. Everything seems to be working fine, but the bulb in the tuner seems to be dead. Is that sort of thing easy to replace?

Sometimes. Working on tuners can be a pain but the bulb might be easy to access. Do you have a soldering iron?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
A record that I keep my eye on recently popped up on Ebay for a reasonable price. The only problem is that it is located in Germany and I'm not sure what kind of shape it would be in once it traveled to the US. The seller has been around a long time and has a good reputation. Anyone have experience with buying records overseas?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

A record that I keep my eye on recently popped up on Ebay for a reasonable price. The only problem is that it is located in Germany and I'm not sure what kind of shape it would be in once it traveled to the US. The seller has been around a long time and has a good reputation. Anyone have experience with buying records overseas?

I have bought some from Amazon U.K. but never from a private seller. They came regular postal mail with no issues.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

What record?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
A reprint of 1968's Gandalf (self titled). It would be under $40, so not a huge amount of money, but more than I would usually spend on a record

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've bought a bunch of records from overseas, both from private sellers on Ebay and from official stores. They've all arrived in perfect condition, securely packed in stiff cardboard packaging made for LPs.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Edit: Fixed it, i had the speakers B switch depressed.

I bought a Kenwood KA 1010 amp and some speakers today, and they worked in the shop now im home and have plugged it all in no sound at all... Did i get the wrong type of Aux cable or something?

Here is a pic of the back...

http://imgur.com/a/2ZFe0

Bare in mind i am a total dope when it comes to electronics and have never owned an amplifier before.

Ghetto Blaster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 19, 2015

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I took a few photos of what i thought was quite a cool shop, they had 2 demo rooms one for the older stuff one for the more high end modern hi-fi setups.

http://imgur.com/xI4jK2c

http://imgur.com/x0OeZd0

http://imgur.com/3sgeaja

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
Hey y'all,

I finally got an integrated amplifier that is pretty enough to want to work over. It's a Pioneer SA-9500 II. Deoxit we the whole thing and all functions nicely except one thing. It has a tone switch you can flip to mess with bass and treble levels with a couple knobs. When it's off it plays great but if you flip it the right channel cuts off completely. I'm amateur at best with stereos. Does that sound like a simple fix to anyone or am I taking it in to get worked out?

http://imgur.com/IWfl7sm

Here it is coming home with the radio tuner the guy threw in because what else was he going to do with it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fancy, 4 bands of tone control. The tone control circuit will have dual circuits, one for each channel. That circuit is bypassed with the on-off switch. Somewhere in the right channel tone control circuit, something is messed up. It could be a transistor, one of the passive components, the switch, or even a break in a wire/pcb trace. If you get your hands on an oscilloscope, you can follow the right channel signal through the circuit and find out where the signal disappears.

These might help:
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Pioneer%20SA9500II%20Service.pdf
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Pioneer%20SA9500II%20Service%202.pdf

The section of the schematics labelled "control amp" is the tone control.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I would deoxit the crap out of the tone switches some more, though, and work the switch on and off several dozen times between applications. There could be some stubborn oxidation.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
Hey thanks both of y'all. I've got time over the holiday to take it apart carefully and do better with the deoxit before I borrow the neighbors oscilloscope. Appreciate the shop manual link.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've had records delivered from the USA to me in the UK (slightly closer than Germany) loads of times and they have all been absolutely fine.

I have always found that people who sell vinyl care about making sure it is packaged well and arrives undamaged.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The unrepairable NAD 5025 is out. I finally got a new turntable: secondhand Dual 505-4 in good shape. Went and bought a bunch of vinyl to go with it. Most of the evening has gone in a futile attempt to clean dust and grime from those records. Anyone got any tips?

I had a bunch of clean records waiting in my shelf. They sound beautiful.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hob_Gadling posted:

The unrepairable NAD 5025 is out. I finally got a new turntable: secondhand Dual 505-4 in good shape. Went and bought a bunch of vinyl to go with it. Most of the evening has gone in a futile attempt to clean dust and grime from those records. Anyone got any tips?

I had a bunch of clean records waiting in my shelf. They sound beautiful.

If they're really filthy and not collectible/valuable, a little dish soap and water with a soft sponge in the sink works fine. Dry with a soft, lint free cloth. Just try not to get the label too wet. Some stain or bubble, some don't.

If they're not that filthy and you want to spend a little money, mix up like 10 parts deionized water to one part isopropyl alcohol and put in a drop or two of surfactant. Could be photo grade if you have access to darkroom chemicals, but a drop of dish soap or perfume free laundry detergent is fine. Then put it in a spray bottle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BigFactory posted:

If they're really filthy and not collectible/valuable, a little dish soap and water with a soft sponge in the sink works fine. Dry with a soft, lint free cloth. Just try not to get the label too wet. Some stain or bubble, some don't.

If they're not that filthy and you want to spend a little money, mix up like 10 parts deionized water to one part isopropyl alcohol and put in a drop or two of surfactant. Could be photo grade if you have access to darkroom chemicals, but a drop of dish soap or perfume free laundry detergent is fine. Then put it in a spray bottle.

:boom:

If we ever get around to refreshing this and the other vinyl threads, this should be in the OP.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to records most of the day. I should've gotten into this hobby a lot sooner, this is great!

Not even going into sound, I like how you can't forget the music into background noise. At least not for long. A lot of this old stuff is still made with album format in mind, and listening to a side at a time is quite exhilarating. And let's not forget the album covers which bring a little something extra into the experience.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Hob_Gadling posted:

I've been listening to records most of the day. I should've gotten into this hobby a lot sooner, this is great!

Not even going into sound, I like how you can't forget the music into background noise. At least not for long. A lot of this old stuff is still made with album format in mind, and listening to a side at a time is quite exhilarating. And let's not forget the album covers which bring a little something extra into the experience.

And don't forget the Alice Cooper album where the disc had an actual pair of panties on it.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Captain Blaargh posted:

And don't forget the Alice Cooper album where the disc had an actual pair of panties on it.

Also the Rolling Stones 'Sticky Fingers' where you can unzip Tico's pants!

edit: I'm dumb and thought that they were Mic's pants.
edit 2: I must be really tired because I'm mixing up the stones and Bon Jovi

Knucklebear fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 29, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Knucklebear posted:

Also the Rolling Stones 'Slippery When Wet' where you can unzip Mic's pants!

Those were Tico Torres' pants, not Mic's.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just found the Yamaha A-07 amplifier I grew up with at home in my parents basement, with the belonging tuner and K-07 cassette player. I did manage to google up one guy saying it was good, but he was selling it, so that's a bit biased. Does anyone know if it actually is good and worth taking care of?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a good amp, Yamaha stuff is generally very nice and underrated. I'd say its worth keeping.

I can't seem to find the specs. but power consumption is 180W, so I'm guessing it's 2x35W or thereabouts.

It's also got Yamaha's very nice variable loudness control. As far as I can remember, you set the loudness to "flat" and then dial in the volume knob to the loudest volume you're going to play at. Then you use the loudness knob to actually adjust the volume from then on. It works by adding more loudness compensation (basically more bass and treble) the lower you play, which is how proper loudness compensation is supposed to work*. That's why the knob goes from 0 to "flat".

However, I may be misremembering exactly how it works, the point is that it works so much better than a simple button. You basically dial in actual volume and perceived loudness separately.

* Loudness compensation is meant to counter-act the equal-loudness contour, which causes very low and very high frequencies to be less audible at lower volumes. So a good loudness compensation implementation should be variable and decrease as volume increases.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 29, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Knucklebear posted:

Also the Rolling Stones 'Slippery When Wet' where you can unzip Tico's pants!

Sticky Fingers. Slippery When Wet was Bon Jovi.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Knucklebear posted:

Also the Rolling Stones 'Sticky Fingers' where you can unzip Tico's pants!

This is really great thank you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

And let's not forget the album covers which bring a little something extra into the experience.

My favorite find so far has been the liner notes to Andrew Gold's "What's wrong with this picture?". Never heard of the artist or album before (I am not very cultured), but I fell over laughing while reading that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ColdPie posted:

My favorite find so far has been the liner notes to Andrew Gold's "What's wrong with this picture?". Never heard of the artist or album before (I am not very cultured), but I fell over laughing while reading that.

You don't have to apologize for not having heard of a boozy 3rd tier Asylum Records singer-songwriter that everyone else forgot about too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

OK grampa, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a Technics SL-1300 that was bought new and pretty much sat there since 1975.

The issue I'm having with it is that when I use the automatic start the needle falls short of making it to the record; it'll be placed down in such a way that the cartridge makes it to the record, but the needle scrapes along the side of it and isn't actually on the surface, like 2 or 3mm away from where it should be. I've been dealing with this by pushing the cue lever up and placing the needle on the edge myself but it would be nice to use the automatic start feature of this player.