Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

not caring here posted:

Many years ago got shot at while I was traipsing through dense bush while pig hunting. Sporadic SKS fire in your general direction from parties unknown is not the greatest time I've ever had, let alone having someone get a bead on you with the intent to put a bullet in your gulliver you can keep that poo poo thankyou.

Any way you'd think illegal weed farmers would be more chill but nope.

Seems like a murder would bring more trouble than somebody stealing part of your harvest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Seems like a murder would bring more trouble than somebody stealing part of your harvest

They aren't really the "Think a few steps ahead" type from my experience

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

this post was incomplete without a picture and/or gif of Walt Kowalski

My mind went to Walter Sobchak.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

Many years ago got shot at while I was traipsing through dense bush while pig hunting. Sporadic SKS fire in your general direction from parties unknown is not the greatest time I've ever had, let alone having someone get a bead on you with the intent to put a bullet in your gulliver you can keep that poo poo thankyou.

Any way you'd think illegal weed farmers would be more chill but nope.
Pretty sure that you'd be justified in returning fire. For future reference, you know... in case you ever happen to find yourself near their ilk again.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Eh, that was all... gently caress, a very long time ago in Australia. I couldn't see them, they couldn't see me, found it pretty prudent to just beat feet and call the fuzz later.

Last time I was pig hunting in Australia was a few years back, and it was much more gentlemanly then... AR10s hanging out of an R22 chopper. If someone wants to take potshots at that flying death parade, well, good luck.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

He needs to be careful about who he pretends to be.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
thk u 4 ure service, vietnam dicksucker vet

o7

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sucking off a Vietdong

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hahahaha.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So in Trump's eyes, he's not only a coward, but a cocksucker as well

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh those zany Kurds :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABvNk5aeKs

And not related to anything whatsoever:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PLAN, doin' thangs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYWq2XwjOM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's amazing how that's a Soviet era ship with a Soviet derived aircraft, yet the HD glamour shots and flight deck operations look totally American.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

VikingSkull posted:

It's amazing how that's a Soviet era ship with a Soviet derived aircraft, yet the HD glamour shots and flight deck operations look totally American.

FOOOOOOOOOD WAAAAAALKDOWN at 1:31.

Oh Flankers. Is there any role you can't be modified for? :allears:

Those ski jump takeoffs look really unnerving though.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Those lucky bastards get a Chinese buffet right on the ship.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The inevitable Mongolian BBQ night will be hidden from the press, I'm sure.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

We're all in the People's Liberation Army Navy Air Force :china:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wingnut Ninja posted:

FOOOOOOOOOD WAAAAAALKDOWN at 1:31.

Oh Flankers. Is there any role you can't be modified for? :allears:

Those ski jump takeoffs look really unnerving though.

They're in near perfect conditions. I'm kinda shocked they're able to get aloft that well, and the boat doesn't even look like its hauling rear end like CVNs like to do on launch days.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
it doesn't look like they use catapults or whatever like we do, does that have any significance?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Branis posted:

it doesn't look like they use catapults or whatever like we do, does that have any significance?

Less takeoff weight or asstons of thrust or both necessary. Looks dumb. Easier to build and maintain.

No rrrrrroooooomcachunk SMASH noise to wake up dudes in the berthing right under the deck.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Hmmm, I thought we were the only ones dumb enough to use digital blue at-sea camo.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Meydey posted:

Hmmm, I thought we were the only ones dumb enough to use digital blue at-sea camo.

China seems to be trying really really hard to copy pretty much everything we do.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
like, even the skipper has that stoic look on his face

you know he has a wooden model of a MiG-21 on his desk

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

VikingSkull posted:

like, even the skipper has that stoic look on his face

you know he has a wooden model of a MiG-21 on his desk

It's either that or an SU-24.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

MikeCrotch posted:

We're all in the People's Liberation Army Navy Air Force :china:

Are they doing a police call at 1:30 for cigarette butts and brass

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just noticed that the SU-27K tail fins fold just like the main wings do. That's pretty cool.

Branis posted:

Laranzu posted:

Less takeoff weight or asstons of thrust or both necessary.

Notice how the planes taking off from the forward positions (where the bow catapults would be) don't appear to have any ordnance on them. Even the one taking the full deck run looks like it's only got four A-A missiles. Ski jump carriers really limit how much you can take off with, and also makes it very hard to field some more specialized aircraft like an AEW platform (E-2) or logistics (C-2).

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
So what are the benefits of doing the ski jump vs catapult? Is it just easier for less advanced nations to put a ramp and jump poo poo?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Branis posted:

So what are the benefits of doing the ski jump vs catapult? Is it just easier for less advanced nations to put a ramp and jump poo poo?

Basically, yeah.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Branis posted:

Yeah, a catapult involves a lot of extra equipment, personnel, training, and really requires the carrier to be built from the ground up as a catapult design (i.e., China wouldn't retrofit their refurbished Soviet carrier into a catapult).

I haven't really looked into what their indigenous carrier design is supposed to be (I think it's still ski-jump), but it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning a catapult design at some point in the future.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

More Chechnya pics: http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/775-tieds-chechnya-in-pictures-thread/page-2#entry41951

Some blood.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In a world where a Supreme Court Justice cited Jack Bauer in an argument over constitutional law, does the fact that Tom Clancy was a part of Reagan's Cold War strategy surprise you?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Goddamn Clancychat, all the way up, all the way down.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Branis posted:

As far as I understand it, to generate the all the steam required for a steam catapult you pretty much need a nuclear reactor. And electromagnetic catapults are super new and mindbogglingly expensive.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Munnin The Crab posted:

As far as I understand it, to generate the all the steam required for a steam catapult you pretty much need a nuclear reactor. And electromagnetic catapults are super new and mindbogglingly expensive.

And they fail a lot. IIRC, steam catapults fail at a rate of 1/1000 and the new magnetic catapults are like 1/70. Par for the course for a new technology, but it doesn't make me feel all that good about the new Jerry-class carriers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Red Storm Rising was a good read when I was a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Munnin The Crab posted:

the funny thing is that some people are arguing that the Chinese have looked at steam catapults, decided that they were way too complicated, and decided to go with electromagnetic instead, essentially skipping steam catapults to go from ski jump to EMC.

I see no problems with this and expect it to work out great for the PLAN.

• Locked thread