Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Are there are Dying Light 4-pack recruitments going on around? I need two copies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Do we have a thread for the new Steam hardware? I got a Steam controller over the holidays but I'm not sure what (if anything) is worth playing it with.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ragequit posted:

What are the problems with the camera? I have only used a controller so far, but it felt like any other camera in any other game.

The FOV kept changing; when I was inside the tavern in the opening it kept zooming in and out. It was starting to make me sick. It also seemed a bit sluggish.

Also the controls worked only some of the time - when I was in the Nilfgaardian camp in the beginning, I pressed "A" to pick some herb and it didn't work even though the screen said "press A!" until the game decided that I wanted to loot some barrel instead, got my poo poo wrecked by soldiers, and woke up with almost zero health, meaning I'd have to head back to the tavern to load up on food since that's the only way the game told me to restore health.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kibayasu posted:

Man, gently caress that duck.

Yeah, like you stop to chat with every fucktard adventurer that passes your way while you're trying to dig for insects. Hypocrite.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sinking Ship posted:

but I'm not sure what (if anything) is worth playing it with.
play the return game :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

monster on a stick posted:

The FOV kept changing; when I was inside the tavern in the opening it kept zooming in and out. It was starting to make me sick. It also seemed a bit sluggish.

Also the controls worked only some of the time - when I was in the Nilfgaardian camp in the beginning, I pressed "A" to pick some herb and it didn't work even though the screen said "press A!" until the game decided that I wanted to loot some barrel instead, got my poo poo wrecked by soldiers, and woke up with almost zero health, meaning I'd have to head back to the tavern to load up on food since that's the only way the game told me to restore health.

Sounds like your game is hosed up, try validating it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sinking Ship posted:

Do we have a thread for the new Steam hardware? I got a Steam controller over the holidays but I'm not sure what (if anything) is worth playing it with.

Same. Civ 5 controls pretty well.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

This looks like someone's lovely Darklands remake.

Also drat, I had never heard of Hand of Fate before catching up on this thread. Now I want to buy it, it looks fun as hell.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Name of game, please.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

It seems your game is actually hosed up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Downs Duck posted:

Name of game, please.

Isn't that Serpent in the Staglands?

EDIT: /\/\/\ Now THIS I want to know the name of.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sure that's not an Oblivion mod?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't that Serpent in the Staglands?

EDIT: /\/\/\ Now THIS I want to know the name of.

Faery - Legends of Avalon.

Why haven't you all friended Corn yet.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Do you also have the Jackass DLC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if27InJBtEI

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's FAERY which is apparently literally unfinished so i may return it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WarLocke posted:

This looks like someone's lovely Darklands remake.

Also drat, I had never heard of Hand of Fate before catching up on this thread. Now I want to buy it, it looks fun as hell.

they marketed it as a darklands remake but it's nothing like darklands at all

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Faery - Legends of Avalon.

Why haven't you all friended Corn yet.

Just did. 's up, corn.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 29, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So i just got around to playing Grim Dawn for a few hours because this sale reminded me that i owned it and that it was content complete now.

I love ARPGs, especially Diablo 3, and holy gently caress is Grim Dawn boring . It pretty much just ticks all the boxes it has to and that's about the sum total of it. It adds nothing to the genre that hasn't been done a million times before in vastly more entertaining and atmospheric games. Its existence is completely unnecessary.

It's my first non-recommendation for these sales.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

What ho, duck?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Deakul posted:

Sounds like your game is hosed up, try validating it.

I just did. It redownloaded something (not sure what since I literally downloaded this yesterday and hadn't launched yet), but I'm still seeing problems where it seems to be dropping something from the gamepad (I tried picking herbs and fighting some swamp things.) I don't have a problem with any other game, didn't even have this with TW2 :shrug: I'd play around with it more, but the first ~hour of this game is mostly cutscenes, and I'm running up against the two hour limit for refunds.

I heard the story was good, I guess that's what LPs are for.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually have this one on my wishlist.

Opinions?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

spudsbuckley posted:

So i just got around to playing Grim Dawn for a few hours because this sale reminded me that i owned it and that it was content complete now.

I love ARPGs, especially Diablo 3, and holy gently caress is Grim Dawn boring . It pretty much just ticks all the boxes it has to and that's about the sum total of it. It adds nothing to the genre that hasn't been done a million times before in vastly more entertaining and atmospheric games. Its existence is completely unnecessary.

It's my first non-recommendation for these sales.

Interesting, I used to hear nothing but raves about it. Any alternative recommendations?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Interesting, I used to hear nothing but raves about it. Any alternative recommendations?

Check spudsbuckley's posting history before you follow him 100% into that long dark. Not to say he's wrong ( I love Grim Dawn ), but he has a very specific set of opinions that 90% of the time do not tie into the opinion track of this thread.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I actually have this one on my wishlist.

Opinions?

don't be fooled by the ad copy. it's nothing like darklands apart from the art style. it is OLDSCHOOL in the art (which owns) and that it doesn't have an auto-journal or auto-map (which does not own as much). you can take notes in-game and it'll helpfully let you bring up the note and dialog at once so you can type stuff in, but it's still annoying if you don't like that (i do not). fundamentally though it's got more in common with icewind dale or baldurs gate style games than darklands. realtime with pause, etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

:siren: :siren: http://www.amazon.com/Law-Order-Legacies-PC-DVD-IMPORT/dp/B00BSUE430 :siren: :siren:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Rookersh posted:

Check spudsbuckley's posting history before you follow him 100% into that long dark.

Just reminded me, is The Long Dark good?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kly posted:

What ho, duck?

The duck ignores you

1. Walk away
2. gently caress that duck

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Rookersh posted:

Check spudsbuckley's posting history before you follow him 100% into that long dark. Not to say he's wrong ( I love Grim Dawn ), but he has a very specific set of opinions that 90% of the time do not tie into the opinion track of this thread.

Once again, i'll defend myself by echoing something that someone else said recently in this very thread: You'll always find some set of goons who will wholeheartedly recommend literally any given game on Steam so this thread/forum can be a bit iffy for game recommendations.

I'm not even saying Grim Dawn is a bad game. It's just all been done before and done much better. It's like the Van Helsing ARPG without any of the charm.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Anyone have any thoughts on Drox Operative? The steam reviews are really good, and the game itself sounds super cool.

EDIT: Haha, you are right about the free demo! I somehow missed that on the page, thanks!

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 29, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Chairman Pow! posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Drox Operative? The steam reviews are really good, and the game itself sounds super cool.

There's a free demo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chairman Pow! posted:

I thought the other games by the guy were neat. The Diabloie arpg+ ones. Never played Drox. It seemed a little bit like SPace Rangers HD from the look of it, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

don't be fooled by the ad copy. it's nothing like darklands apart from the art style. it is OLDSCHOOL in the art (which owns) and that it doesn't have an auto-journal or auto-map (which does not own as much). you can take notes in-game and it'll helpfully let you bring up the note and dialog at once so you can type stuff in, but it's still annoying if you don't like that (i do not). fundamentally though it's got more in common with icewind dale or baldurs gate style games than darklands. realtime with pause, etc.

I don't like that first part where it lacks certain modern conveniences but I do like the part where you say it's like an Infinity Engine game.

Might keep it on my wish list.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can make your own characters, as many as you want, but there's also npcs around to recruit as well.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

-Blackadder- posted:

Van Helsing Final Cut is pretty amazing and has some of the best controller support an ARPG has ever seen.

Jamfrost posted:

Just reminded me, is The Long Dark good?

Yes, if you like looting and taking long, scary walks in the snow. Have a review.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Kly posted:

What ho, duck?

QuarkJets posted:

The duck ignores you

1. Walk away
2. gently caress that duck

Then suddenly, Duck strikes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but seriously you should order that law and order legacies dvd before theyre all gone

get on it

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

corn in the bible posted:

but seriously you should order that law and order legacies dvd before theyre all gone

get on it

ill get on u....

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

spudsbuckley posted:

Once again, i'll defend myself by echoing something that someone else said recently in this very thread: You'll always find some set of goons who will wholeheartedly recommend literally any given game on Steam so this thread/forum can be a bit iffy for game recommendations.
i am touched that you remembered my words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i also said the trick was figuring out who to listen to and rookersh seems to have done that

now its up to blackadder to make his choice

• Locked thread