Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Solenna posted:

I would not have guessed that, and after a little more looking, wow I'm glad that's no longer canon. I understand exactly why it's done the way its done and its 100% how video works and why they're actually fun, but I really hope nobody who liked the story even breathed a word about Rey being a Mary Sue because goddamn.

That's almost a staple of video game writing, where there's often one main character who the player is supposed to overwhelmingly identify with. With Rey it's a mix of sexism and I think the misdirecting early on to make it not super obvious that she was a jedi, and the fact that it's setup like an ensemble movie. Her having both Luke and Han's skill set I think would work better if she was set up as the only main character, and I think that keeping so much of her character arc for later movies kinda made things seem worse than they are. Add all this in with people being sexist idiots and welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gorelab posted:

That's almost a staple of video game writing, where there's often one main character who the player is supposed to overwhelmingly identify with. With Rey it's a mix of sexism and I think the misdirecting early on to make it not super obvious that she was a jedi, and the fact that it's setup like an ensemble movie. Her having both Luke and Han's skill set I think would work better if she was set up as the only main character, and I think that keeping so much of her character arc for later movies kinda made things seem worse than they are. Add all this in with people being sexist idiots and welp.

It's not sexist. What don't you get. Women and black people have no place in star wars movies. Jeeze.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

RC Cola posted:

It's not sexist. What don't you get. Women and black people have no place in star wars movies. Jeeze.

I think you'll find it's really about the ethics in Mary Sueism

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact about the Force Awakens. Two groups from the Clone Wars and Rebel's series got little cameo's. The Broken Horn Syndicate and the Ohnaka gang. At Maz's place the flags for their groups are hung up. It's just a tiny fun little thing.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
f Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the poo poo.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fucker posted:

f Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the poo poo.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.

5 stars

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Macross is good. The original series would make a great film trilogy about the folly of star war

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Where's that from? TF.N? IMDB?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wherever it's from he's right, you're never gonna see a teenager ejaculating over a comatose girl in pedestrian western sci-fi works such as "Star Wars", so f it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Wherever it's from he's right, you're never gonna see a teenager ejaculating over a comatose girl in pedestrian western sci-fi works such as "Star Wars", so f it.

Well, Finn is in a coma so anything is possible.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Princesses enslaved by loathsome slug worm crime lords and chained up and forced to wear metal bikinis is just another day at the office for anime.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Good movie. My only comment is that it moves from scene to scene very quickly which I found jarring at times. Rey being awesome didn't bother me - space wizards are like that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who wants to put a bet on Disney revealing the Riot Baton stormtrooper survived and secretly stole the Starkiller Plans?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Who wants to put a bet on Disney revealing the Riot Baton stormtrooper survived and secretly stole the Starkiller Plans?

Stick him in a Vader mask and call him a Knight of Ren.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

The Finnkiller is exactly the same except it homes in on Finn exclusively.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When Hux is giving his speech there is a high ranking general or someone in the background who is black. So there are at least 3 black people in Star Wars.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

When Hux is giving his speech there is a high ranking general or someone in the background who is black. So there are at least 3 black people in Star Wars.

Also one of the people managing the Death Laser was Indian, which isn't black but hasn't really been seen before.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Loved this movie, but after 40 years they should have more for us than a bigger Death Star.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:golfclap:

Actually is there a version with Rey in the last place?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blakkout posted:

Loved this movie, but after 40 years they should have more for us than a bigger Death Star.

What do you want from them? A Death Star the size of the sun?! A Death Solar system?!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Death Galaxy

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I did start wondering how there's much galaxy left if they keep having sith come in and build weapons like this like every 30 years.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Interesting leak from the blurey edition. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/GDaFjvw.jpg?1

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of that, James Cameron's gonna have to sell the poo poo out of Avatar whenever it comes out. What's going to be the gimmick to get people to see it?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blakkout posted:

Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
It really feels like the Starkiller base was introduced and destroyed just to make the whole scope of Episodes 8 and 9 a lot smaller. They're taking the criticism of politics in the PT to the extreme opposite end by removing political vessels entirely. No Republic and no First Order means they can focus on the characters solely and their struggles with the light and dark sides. I hope that ultimately Kylo falls deep into the dark side and doesn't get redeemed because that's really getting played out. I can see Rey confronting him again in Episode 8 and getting her rear end kicked through a combination of her overconfidence and him becoming stronger.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Speaking of that, James Cameron's gonna have to sell the poo poo out of Avatar whenever it comes out. What's going to be the gimmick to get people to see it?

Variable Frame Rate from what I've heard. Unlike the Hobbit where everything was in 48FPS, he'll have the normal dialogue scenes in 24 and the action scenes in higher frame rates.

Also it's supposed to be 60FPS I think because that's easier to translate to screens & home media.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

Variable Frame Rate from what I've heard. Unlike the Hobbit where everything was in 48FPS, he'll have the normal dialogue scenes in 24 and the action scenes in higher frame rates.

Also it's supposed to be 60FPS I think because that's easier to translate to screens & home media.

If that's not a joke then I will throw up onto the person in front of me while watching.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

If that's not a joke then I will throw up onto the person in front of me while watching.

That's one rumor. The other major rumor is that Cameron saw The Hobbit and decided that the problem was just that they didn't go high enough, so he wants 120 FPS in 3D (60 on each eye).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm so loving angry.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We can find out what Rey thinks about First Order art

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone gets a free piece of titanic wreck wood for attending a screening.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the part right before Kylo kills Max Von Sydow and Max turns to the camera, shrugs, and says, "Aw man, I'm just so tired of all these star wars"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I hate you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is great. I'm stealing this.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How much loving Botox did Carrie Fisher shove in her face? Her mouth was so paralysed she literally looked like she was just learning how to do ventriloquism.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Blistex posted:

How much loving Botox did Carrie Fisher shove in her face? Her mouth was so paralysed she literally looked like she was just learning how to do ventriloquism.

You're thinking of C-3PO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beefstew posted:

You're thinking of C-3PO.

You probably didn't recognize him because of his red arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

You probably didn't recognize him because of his red arm.

Funny story about how he got it...

• Locked thread