Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

man, this Support X mechanic seems so :effort:

it could very well be good, but it feels boring.

but didn't you love bolster??? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Dollars to donuts it said "distribute <x> counters" at some point, then got rebalanced to this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Don't you remember how exciting Bolster was?

At least it's note Fateful Hour.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Booklegger posted:

So, from what I now know, there's like 3 cards in magic's history which actually set power and toughness in such a way that pump spells help. Sworn Defender, Shape Stealer, and Zegana.

Like it *MIGHT* happen, but I would assume it's a copy effect until proven otherwise.
No, it's not a copy effect. Shape Stealer (http://magiccards.info/sok/en/55.html) isn't a copy effect, and I don't see any reason this would be worded differently (and it uses the Spanish word for "change" and not "copy"). It's a triggered ability that checks another creature's P/T on resolution and applies a continuous effect that changes its own base P/T to the value it sees. Pump spells and counters make this number better, either if they are on the other creature before resolution or on the Mimic at any time. Pump effects and counters on the other creature after the ability resolves won't do anything.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So Support and Rally are both good in that they all seem worthless, until EVERYTHING in a deck has it. It will be a nightmare in limited, and if it is WG, the token/efficient creature combo...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106384-Former-Wizards-of-the-Coast-Employee-Charged-With-Stealing-Rare-Magic-Cards

I can't stop laughing at this.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Lancelot posted:

Shape Stealer (http://magiccards.info/sok/en/55.html) isn't a copy effect,

I didn't say it was. I was saying it wasn't one.:confused: I was suggesting that the rarity of such non-copy effects is noteworthy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Travel Preparations' new oracle text:

Support 2
Flashback 1W

There's something about giving abilities really boring keywords that makes the ability feel so much worse.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Do you have a source saying it's going to get erratad, or are you just being hyperbolic?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Foreskin Problems posted:

Do you have a source saying it's going to get erratad, or are you just being hyperbolic?

They don't errata things unless the change is evergreen, so he's just loving around because its functionally the same thing.

as a 1GW spell that does: "Support 3." does sound like crap.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Support seems fine. It's not ultra exciting but it's a fairly clean and simple way to reward you for having multiple creatures out. All we've seen from it so far are "OK common" and "Sandsteppe Mastodon 2.0".

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

If I remember correctly there was another one of these recently where someone had stolen around 400 promo LotV's from Wizards proper and was trying to sell 5 to 10 of them at a time at a card shop in Renton, Wizards got involved and they busted the guy via eBay where he had listed 25 of them for sale at once.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Throwaway, "this could have been done without naming it" abilities aren't for us cynical, jaded types. They're for new and inexperienced players to understand that a subsection of cards in the set all do the same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BJPaskoff posted:

Throwaway, "this could have been done without naming it" abilities aren't for us cynical, jaded types. They're for new and inexperienced players to understand that a subsection of cards in the set all do the same thing.

Some sets manage to survive without them. e:i.e., boring worded abilities as defined by me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Devor posted:

There's something about giving abilities really boring keywords that makes the ability feel so much worse.

I think the problem is also devaluing the idea of "keywords" (including ability words, even if they are technically distinct).

When there are/were only 2-3 keywords per block, each keyword (again, including ability words) could be distinct and felt interesting. They were something to get excited about, in a manner of speaking. When you decide that everything and its brother needs to be keyworded--including things that are very clearly not that interesting or prominent--the subconscious conclusion that builds up over time is that, all else being equal, a new set's keywords are nothing to get interested in. Which you'd think would be the opposite of the effect R&D would want to create.

Now, I'm obviously not saying that something like cycling is mechanically super exciting, but in an era before keyword bloat, it at least stood alone with, IIRC, only echo or morph (depending on which block you're talking about) competing for attention in the keyword zeitgeist of the block. That sort of identity has been lost now, relatively speaking.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

well my main issue is that +1/+1 counters are a design space that has been thoroughly explored already

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

well my main issue is that +1/+1 counters are a design space that has been thoroughly explored already

And my nephew enjoys it every time.

Seriously, +1/+1 counters are something that the vast majority of players are never going to get tired of and Wizards knows that.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've made an entire cube around +1/+1 counters - there's a lot about it that's been done.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am waiting for them to keyword "keywords" so the G-Raveyard Party creatures can all just function. It's annoying to read the phrase "The same is true for..." which ends up not being comprehensive most of the time (even within their printed standards), which means you actually DO need to keep checking when you play one or the other.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ramos posted:

And my nephew enjoys it every time.

Seriously, +1/+1 counters are something that the vast majority of players are never going to get tired of and Wizards knows that.

Stuff like Outlast is a much more interesting way of using them if you're attaching a keyword, imo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also having a bunch of +1/+1 counter themes in adjacent sets allows for more interesting standard brews to emerge. Like there's a semi-competitive Hardened Scales deck emerging that could benefit a lot from Support.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

evolve, imo, is one of the coolest ways i've seen +1/+1 counters used.

I ain't saying 'abolish +1/+1 counters,' I'm just sayin theres good design space around +1/+1 counters (evolve, undying, outlast) and then there's uninspired stuff like megamorph and bolster.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like -1/-1 counters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

as a 1GW spell that does: "Support 3." does sound like crap.

I mean, keywording a simple mechanic does not actually reduce mental overhead. e:not always (trample etc prove otherwise)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 30, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

[Put a +1/+1 counter on X target creatures] apparently needs a keyword.

[Put X 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add {1} to your mana pool."] apparently does not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like -1/-1 counters.

I loving loved Incremental Blight.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I like -1/-1 counters.

Infect is still the best keyword.

Rinkles posted:

Stuff like Outlast is a much more interesting way of using them if you're attaching a keyword, imo.

Disagree. Outlast was just "Board is clogged and now we have several turns to wait until my guys get inevitably bigger."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ramos posted:

Infect is still the best keyword.

Actually, it's Wither.

Shadowmoor block had some really cool stuff and it's too bad that the weird monocolor multicolor thing ended up defining its reputation.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Process could really use a keyword. I really think they were just flooded with keywords already (Rally, Devoid, Ingest, Landfall is returning but it counts)

Do Melira and Everlasting Torment work the way I want them too?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 30, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

It also helps with the problem Naya's 5-power-matters theme had: it lets people know there's a theme. Bant, Grixis, and Jund had keywords. Esper had something as distinct as colored artifacts. What did Naya have?

Um, a shared condition and/or restriction on abilities. It reads awfully. Maro got tons of people asking him about Naya's mechanic since despite appearing on 20 cards it had no easy indicator.

You can see the lesson from that in Temur's ferocious.

Ferocious is the same thing but with an ability word. That makes it much, much simpler to grasp. Wild Slash can't be prevented, Force Away loots, Feed the Clans doubles the life gain, all with the same condition clearly indicated.

So cards have support X as an easy way of saying "put a counter on up to X other target creatures". With Nissa, Oran-Reif, and Munda's Vanguard all having mass counter placing effects too, I think spreading counters on the squad is a thing they're trying to do, and having a keyword is a clear way of having that.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Process could really use a keyword. I really think they were just flooded with keywords already (Rally, Devoid, Ingest, Landfall is returning, but it counts)

Aren't all the eldrazi that have the process ability also have the Processor creature type?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Support seems fine. It's not ultra exciting but it's a fairly clean and simple way to reward you for having multiple creatures out. All we've seen from it so far are "OK common" and "Sandsteppe Mastodon 2.0".

I think its actually pretty weird that Support means one thing on a creature and a different thing on a spell though. Bolster certainly didn't work like that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Oraculum Animi posted:

Aren't all the eldrazi that have the process ability also have the Processor creature type?

It doesn't say how much you have to process, and it takes up like 3-4 lines of text if I am remembering it correctly, when it could say

When you cast Ulamog's Nullifier, you may Process 2. If you do, Counter target spell. (to Process 2, put two cards your opponents own from exile into their graveyards)

This would let you have some of the bigger/rare cards be less text heavy, and might let them make more since the cards are a bit less wordy over all.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

[Put a +1/+1 counter on X target creatures] apparently needs a keyword.

[Put X 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add {1} to your mana pool."] apparently does not.

The original Spawn didn't have a keyword either. They may not want token making to be a keyword.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i think i remember them saying that they wanted to keyword process, but with all processors already having Devoid plus the reminder text for devoid, they didn't feel they had enough room for everything, thus, the creature type Processor.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Ramos posted:

Outlast was just "Board is clogged and now we have several turns to wait until my guys get inevitably bigger."

That's really flavorful and imo makes Bolster better.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i think i remember them saying that they wanted to keyword process, but with all processors already having Devoid plus the reminder text for devoid, they didn't feel they had enough room for everything, thus, the creature type Processor.
Um but without the comforting feeling of a keyword on my dick how am I supposed to know that these things that all appear to share a mechanic are actually mechanically related rather than just being my fever dream

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

It doesn't say how much you have to process, and it takes up like 3-4 lines of text if I am remembering it correctly, when it could say

When you cast Ulamog's Nullifier, you may Process 2. If you do, Counter target spell. (to Process 2, put two cards your opponents own from exile into their graveyards)

This would let you have some of the bigger/rare cards be less text heavy, and might let them make more since the cards are a bit less wordy over all.

:goonsay: Nullifier's ability happens on ETB. :goonsay:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gensuki posted:

Process could really use a keyword. I really think they were just flooded with keywords already (Rally, Devoid, Ingest, Landfall is returning but it counts)

Do Melira and Everlasting Torment work the way I want them too?

It depends on how you want them to work. You can still die to damage if that is what you want to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

That's really flavorful and imo makes Bolster better.

Support runs supplies to the foot soldiers so they can fight better. Flavorful and makes going wide better.

• Locked thread