Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I don't think WITW is necessarily bad, I just thing it's aggressively ungood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A combined game is something that, at first thought, sounds fun. But then I think more about it, and it sounds like the most un-fun thing imaginable.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Drone posted:

I don't think WITW is necessarily bad, I just thing it's aggressively ungood.

Grognard.txt

I'd love to see a Grigsby game with all theatres incorporated with a player for each nation. Added bonus if you could customize research and production from 1920 to the out break of the second world war and designate troops and planes to get involved in the Spanish civil war. Of course each turn for those years would also be a day because grognard.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baudin posted:

Grognard.txt

I'd love to see a Grigsby game with all theatres incorporated with a player for each nation. Added bonus if you could customize research and production from 1920 to the out break of the second world war and designate troops and planes to get involved in the Spanish civil war. Of course each turn for those years would also be a day because grognard.

Hoi4 is coming out soon and should be much more fun that this could ever hope to be.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

uPen posted:

Hoi4 is coming out soon and should be much more fun that this could ever hope to be.

I never said it would be fun!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I've never understood why HOI wasn't turned-based. Doesn't everyone pause it and pretty much play it that way anyway?

Yes. Me stopping the game every 2 seconds to chase a few partisans across the vast Russian steppes so much more fun too.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I look forward to the naval combat model in HOI4 pissing me off in new and interesting ways.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I've never understood why HOI wasn't turned-based. Doesn't everyone pause it and pretty much play it that way anyway?

It is turn-based. You simply get to decide how quickly the turns resolve. Honestly its a much better system than standard turn based, since that'll rely on arbitrary time between turns whereas HoI does hourly ticks.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

pthighs posted:

You've uncovered a niche ripe for exploitation in the grognard genre: Gary Grigsby's Wartime Factory Manager

Each and every part entering/leaving your facility is tracked. Labor pool morale/disruption/shortages have an effect. Strategic bombing causes damage (though of course high level air raids are still OP). In a nod to DC:B, you deal with the personalities and demands of your various superiors.

All with graphics from the mid '90s and inscrutable UI.

The Germans would definitely buy this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

I look forward to the naval combat model in HOI4 pissing me off in new and interesting ways.

Can't be any worse than HOI2/DH/HOI3's naval combat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Drone posted:

Can't be any worse than HOI2/DH/HOI3's naval combat.

What's wrong with spamming a dozen fleets of nothing except submarines and ruling the waves from beneath the waves? :confused:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Or flooding your production window with more DDs than god. :v:

God, I hope HOI4 is good and they redo Kaiserreich for it. :shepspends:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like WitW :(

edit: But I understand why people don't like it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TehKeen posted:

Or flooding your production window with more DDs than god. :v:

God, I hope HOI4 is good and they redo Kaiserreich for it. :shepspends:

You weren't around when the HOI3 AI decided that spending ALL THE IC on transports was the way forwards.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ZombieLenin posted:

I probably would.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

The Germans are developing it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

pthighs posted:

You've uncovered a niche ripe for exploitation in the grognard genre: Gary Grigsby's Wartime Factory Manager

Each and every part entering/leaving your facility is tracked. Labor pool morale/disruption/shortages have an effect. Strategic bombing causes damage (though of course high level air raids are still OP). In a nod to DC:B, you deal with the personalities and demands of your various superiors.

It better look like this

but split across several screens and with less intuitive interface.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Nenonen posted:

It better look like this

but split across several screens and with less intuitive interface.

What is this and how do I get it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A freeware game called Stalin's Dilemma made by a college professor for educational purposes. It's a quite entertaining solitaire mini-simulation, worth a try if you don't mind 1990's Visual Basic interface.
http://www.old-games.com/download/4428/stalin-s-dilemma

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nenonen posted:

...worth a try if you don't mind 1990's Visual Basic interface.

So better interface than most "modern" wargames?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Alchenar posted:

You weren't around when the HOI3 AI decided that spending ALL THE IC on transports was the way forwards.

Sadly the images are gone, including Prime Minister noType Stanley Baldwin, but the thread remains.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hello-its-1943-and-i-am-completely-historical-pm-of-england-stanley-baldwin.431233/

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nenonen posted:

A freeware game called Stalin's Dilemma made by a college professor for educational purposes. It's a quite entertaining solitaire mini-simulation, worth a try if you don't mind 1990's Visual Basic interface.

I don't think I ever managed to get this running.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Riso posted:

I don't think I ever managed to get this running.

Neither did Stalin :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Nenonen posted:

Do you get paranoia as time goes on so that all the workers and such start showing up as Trotskyiates?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Baudin posted:

Grognard.txt

Messing around with war in the East--plus I was just thinking about wanting a video game like this a few weeks ago--makes me excited about this prospect for two reasons.

1. I remember being a young man playing European Theatre of Operations and there being an optional rule set that allowed for fighting between the Soviets and the Allies to break out after certain conditions in Germany were met (basically as soon as the German player loses). This sounds fun as a computer game to me.

2. I've always wanted to play an Eastern Front game where a Soviet first strike scenario could be modded in. That seems sort of possible for War in the East; however, the map needs to go a little farther West to make it really interesting.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

pthighs posted:

Transport tycoon reskin, playing as the Train Nazi from DC:B.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok, so I bit the bullet and got WitP and have spent the afternoon running through one of the small scenarios. It is pretty fun and I'm surprised that I have been able to learn how to do ok with the interface once I spent an hour or so clicking through poo poo. Although this feeling might go away once I have to work about resources and industry and supply chains and whatnot.

Right now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to fix the lag when scrolling in a direction or if it is just an old rear end game. Also does anyone have a link to the map mod or any other quality of life stuff that people use for the game? Is there a way to run it windowed (I haven't dug into this much yet)?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Goetta posted:

Right now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to fix the lag when scrolling in a direction or if it is just an old rear end game. Also does anyone have a link to the map mod or any other quality of life stuff that people use for the game? Is there a way to run it windowed (I haven't dug into this much yet)?

There's some launch string modifiers that can be hugely helpful. If no one else beats me to it, I'll share mine when I get home from work.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"B:\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu3 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1920 -py1080 -w -altFont -deepColor -archive -skipVideo

This is what I use.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks. What does -archive do?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't know.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

I honestly don't know.

It takes all those .txt dumps that every turn generates and sticks them in a folder called "Archive" in your save directory rather than them sitting loose. It also completely 100% breaks the witp combat reporter which is probably the best 3rd party utility (unless you're japanese when it's the witptracker) so don't use -archive.

uPen fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 1, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ohhh yeah. Definitely go with archive directory and point combat reporter to the save/archive directory. Do you really want a directory with a trillion .txt files when passing pbem saves around? would be really annoying!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dd_sw is direct draw software which should fix most scrolling lag issues

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

"B:\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu3 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1920 -py1080 -w -altFont -deepColor -archive -skipVideo

This is what I use.

Not keeping B reserved for the floppy drive. Shameful. Hand in your grognard card.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

Not keeping B reserved for the floppy drive. Shameful. Hand in your grognard card.

B is for Baloogan. :3:

Its my SSD for getting max fps while playing witp.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I really wish War in The East was more easily moddable. I can think of a dozen mods/scenarios that are just too difficult, or impossible.

Like something as simple as a scenario that uses the original Barbarossa start date of May 15th cannot be done. Nor really a 1942 start date either (since the surprise bonus is hard coded).

Speaking of which, the Matrix forums are pretty sparse on player made scenarios. Are these archived/posted anywhere else?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've felt the same way. I tried to do some alternate starts like Stalin's original defensive plan, or one of the earlier invasion plans, but the scenario creator didn't seem to be able to handle it. As far as other scenarios, I haven't found much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
AGEOD sent me a key for alea jacta est for some reason. maybe someone here would like it?