Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

B.H. Facials posted:

I can't believe no one hasn't mentioned AOHell. Also, does anyone remember Cheetachat?
Aw, I was hoping nobody mentioned AOHell. I used to use it all the time. One of the first things I learned to program for Windows was an AOHell clone, using Win16 API calls and hidden URLs/keywords to force the client to do stuff it wasn't supposed to.

Not a great image, but there were a million versions and clones, and all were basically the same. The AOL client was largely dynamically populated, meaning it had a lot of functionality that was technically available, but with no way to discover or invoke it using the provided UI. Things that should have been locked out to normal users, including a vast array of admin functionality, were totally accessible if you could send the right command. Mail could be manipulated at-will for a long time - spoofing incoming or outgoing mail was easy, you could go over certain attachment limits, etc.

There were bots much like you'd see on IRC. Lots of ways to send malicious IMs that could do just about anything since the only protection was client-side input validation. That was some fun poo poo. There was a fake AOL account creator called Kashmir that played a Beastie Boys instrumental while I brute-forced trial code combinations. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drunk asian neighbor posted:

what the christ is that

It was some limited "anniversary edition." There was one in the background of Jerry's apartment in Seinfeld for a while.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

what the christ is that

20th anniversary mac. It was really cool + good.

quote:

Upon unveiling, the TAM was predicted to cost US$9,000, which would include a direct-to-door concierge delivery service. At release the price was reduced to $7,499. In the middle of its sales' lifespan Apple dropped the price further to around US$3,500, and finally upon discontinuation in March 1998 the price was set to US$1,995. Customers who paid full price for the TAM, and then complained to Apple when the price was so drastically cut, were offered a free high-end Powerbook as compensation.

Steve Jobs returned to Apple in late 1997. In March 1998 he made sweeping changes, including scrapping the Newton MessagePad. It was at this time that the TAM was discontinued, and remaining stocks reduced to US $1,995. The timing itself was not conspicuous – most Apple computers only feature a 1-year production run, and the TAM's began in March 1997. However Jobs was on record stating that he hated the TAM[citation needed], as it stood for everything that was wrong at Apple when he returned[citation needed]. The attempt to move the remaining stock by further reducing the price may have been a directive from Jobs himself.[citation needed]

Dealers in the US ran out of stock within 14 days of this final price drop.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I have a few ancient thinkpads, but my old rear end compaq deskpro 286 with two 5.25 inch drives and a monochrome green screen, I miss that thing.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Some intern was digging through the archives.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wonder what will happen to the mac pro trashcan, I would kill for a new tower mac pro with skylake or modern xeons that you could stick a bunch of pcie cards in, instead of having two dozen cables dangling off the side of your cylindrical space computer

the cheese grater macs were basically perfect, why did they have to change them :mad:

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I could tell immediately when a floppy had a bad sector from the sound alone. When I inserted disk 8 of 9 as I was installing Darklands (not pirated), I knew before DOS told me that I would have to return it.

That was the sound of heartbreak.

Oh yeah, and ordering pirated software by phone and having it delivered in the mail as stacks of rubber banded 3,5" disks with photo copied manuals (hi, SWOTL!). Then discovering bad disks, calling the dude and having him send replacements.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
How ATT thought the future would look in the 1993:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8

You will, and the company that will bring it to you will likely be your local cable and cell phone providers.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Remember when iMacs were such a hot new thing that lovely PC manufacturers did this

And it was such a loving fever pitch that poo poo like this happened

I actually had that clock. My sister gave it to me for Christmas, because I was in 8th grade and I was Apple Fan #1. :awesome: It had the most god-awful alarm sounds ever.

My older sisters played lots of games on 5.25" floppies, which was a recipe for disaster. They wrecked so many copies of Agent USA that our mom stopped replacing them. Apparently I damaged a King's Quest II disk when I was very very young by touching the inner ring. I think my oldest sister still hasn't quite forgiven me. Parents everywhere probably breathed a sigh of relief when 3.5" floppies became the norm.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JediTalentAgent posted:

How ATT thought the future would look in the 1993:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8

You will, and the company that will bring it to you will likely be your local cable and cell phone providers.

God I remember these ads, right down to the "AA-AAAAAAhhh" shriek over the final splash screen.

They're all 100% right, too, barring minor details like "phone booth".

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I like how depressing they considered the future to be, though.

Except for the guy who is at the beach, I think literally every other thing just looks murky, dreary, rainsoaked, dark, dim, shadowy, etc.

I guess being part of the 1% affords you the luxury of real sunlight.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
g4 power mac cube with accessories designed to match was peak apple

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i forgot that PC games used to use lots of FMV for exposition and whatnot. drat. i played a lot of this game as a kid:

couldn't figure out like half of the puzzles though and I couldn't get a strategy guide back then :(

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Some intern was digging through the archives.

I'm so glad we don't have CRTs anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thathonkey posted:

g4 power mac cube with accessories designed to match was peak apple

Surely that's only if you've forgotten about this:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I have a memory of some crappy flight simulator back in windows 3.1/486 days which I'm sure I didn't pay for. There was one plane and almost nothing in the landscape and the thing that was fun was to crash into the like one obstacle on the map (some tower or something) and use an emergency rocket to try and continue flying. The rocket could be used like once every couple minutes so the trick was to try and glide the damaged plane long enough for the next rocket boost and so on.

Also scorched earth:

Kings quest:

Leisure Suit Larry:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Surely that's only if you've forgotten about this:

I absolutely hated having to do any kind of service on those goddamn things. Not only are they are a pain in the rear end to take apart, it seems like a good portion of the interior structure is composed of razor blades. No model of computer was more consistent about literally making me bleed while working on them.

From the same time period was the short-lived eMac. It was also a pain in the rear end to work on, even worse than a jelly iMac, but at least it tended to cause fewer flesh wounds.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's sort of funny that when flight sims were at probably their highest popularity, the hardware to run them just wasn't there. Now that the hardware can likely do incredible flight sim stuff there's seemingly little interest in them anymore.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

just make a new tie fighter with the battlefront engine

Everyone will buy it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Universe Master posted:

just make a new tie fighter with the battlefront engine

Everyone will buy it.

Also freespace 3
With vr support
Which nobody will buy but it will rule so hard

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

With all the interest in vr headsets it's not that much to ask someone to buy a joystick.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I can't hate those lovely iMacs because they ended the 90's/early 00's trend of cream coloured electronics. The worst was when school computers had plastic that was both cream-coloured and had a frosted finish which accumulated grime and gradually became discoloured.

In the early 90's my school had these:

I thought they were the biggest pieces of crap growing up, partly because I had a 386 at home which made them look really bad by comparison because it didn't have a B&W monitor and it didn't need a "boot disk" just to loving turn on.

That said, I played the poo poo out of Granny's Garden on those things.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Enthusiasm posted:

my dad would always play some 95/98 era game called.. Necropolis? all I really remember is I think it was an isometric adventure puzzle sort of thing, and it had some dank rear end box art. he said i was too young to play it, but he let me play duke3d. I guess it had boobies or something. Haven't been able to find anything on that game since. gently caress you, dad, i wanted to play it.

Noctropolis? It's on Steam if you want to play it as an act of rebellion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And yet that Classic still looks futuristic, like a Porsche 928. Whereas your 386 (or mine) would make us dry heave to see it today.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I was obsessed with Heavy Gear 2 for like 3 months straight, God drat I loved that game.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Data Graham posted:

And yet that Classic still looks futuristic, like a Porsche 928. Whereas your 386 (or mine) would make us dry heave to see it today.

Yeah, it was a gigantic tower with a turbo button type deal

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's sort of funny that when flight sims were at probably their highest popularity, the hardware to run them just wasn't there. Now that the hardware can likely do incredible flight sim stuff there's seemingly little interest in them anymore.

probably because they beg you to own a bunch of specialty peripherals for the full experience. i remember having a thrustmaster joystick:

ownzd

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
and the bar was set pretty high after 9/11/01

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I seem to remember just after 9/11 weren't there some patches to make it impossible to crash into buildings and versions of things like MS Flight Simulator pulled off the shelf?

edit: Maybe not, though.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Dec 30, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

I seem to remember just after 9/11 weren't there some patches to make it impossible to crash into buildings and versions of things like MS Flight Simulator pulled off the shelf?

I tried to do it in the latest GTA after hijacking the planes. drat near impossible to hit a building.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

JediTalentAgent posted:

I do kinda remember some hullabaloo about the WTC not showing up right in Deus Ex as some kind of honor thing, but that was just a sky rendering problem. Also I think they changed the name of the buildings in a Red Alert 2 mission to make them sound nondescript.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah they also removed it from skyline intro shots of tv shows based in NYC like Law & Order.

It was a pretty lol time. The short lived American uniformity was followed by grossly racist comics and commentators which fueled the rise of the likes of Carlos Mencia.

Now it's only our politicians and news entertainment folks who are racist.

That's progress.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ChickenWyngz posted:

I was obsessed with Heavy Gear 2 for like 3 months straight, God drat I loved that game.

That game is seriously underappreciated. It was Mech Warrior meets Quake in the most perfect way

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

In the early 90's my school had these:

I thought they were the biggest pieces of crap growing up, partly because I had a 386 at home which made them look really bad by comparison because it didn't have a B&W monitor and it didn't need a "boot disk" just to loving turn on.

You must be referring to one of the earliest Macs, not the Classic. Mac Classics had hard drives built in and didn't need a boot disk.

The first Mac I ever purchased was a Classic II. Great little machine at the time, but yes, the screen was B&W.

naem
May 29, 2011

Quark express on a tangerine iMac

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear ruled.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Anton Chigurh posted:

You must be referring to one of the earliest Macs, not the Classic. Mac Classics had hard drives built in and didn't need a boot disk.

The first Mac I ever purchased was a Classic II. Great little machine at the time, but yes, the screen was B&W.

You could definitely get a classic without a hard drive. The SE/30 was the best classic Mac though.

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

Chief McHeath posted:

I always felt it paled in comparison to Counter-Strike.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Chief McHeath posted:

It was great until you tried to command a teammate to frag a room, and he'd basically fumble the grenade and kill the entire team.

"MURPHY! MURPHY!"

Superior Bastard posted:

I always felt it paled in comparison to Counter-Strike.

Sort of a relative to the "serious shooter" genre like ARMA...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yo, they call me Ding, Ding Chavez

lmao