Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Chief McHeath posted:

MERCY MOTHER OF GOD THE SPEAKERS HANG ON THE SIDE OF THE MONITOR!

hanging speakers from the monitor is amateur hour compared to the Compaq Presario which shoved the speakers into the monitor and took the CPU with it as well

aww so cute, it thinks it's a mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Shadow posted:

Didn't the speakers come with the monitor though? That's how it was for the Packard bell I got in 94. Looked the same as that pic.

Hm... if tower, monitor, and accessories were sold together, it's possible that my dad bought a whole set and then took the monitor to his office, leaving her with whatever she'd already had. Either way, it was weird.

This all made me remember these bad boys, found in every room of my elementary school:

The all-in-one Power Mac. Many a game of The Incredible Machine was played on these. We also discovered the text-to-speech feature in SimpleText and got yelled at for making the computer say naughty words.

Looks like everyone was dabbling in dumb-looking monitors with speakers, even Apple.

Clearly during their Steve Jobs-less design lull.

you were warned has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Dec 29, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Packard Bell had a "V' shaped desktop. I think the term that I'm seeing for it is 'Packard Bell corner case', but if you had it facing you none of the drives or anything would actually 'face' you. They'd be veered off in either 45° angle. If you wanted to have one bay of drives facing you, the other bay of drives would be facing 90° away.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

you were warned posted:

Clearly during their Steve Jobs-less design lull.

I'm the six-inch mouse cord.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

May I present the Macintosh TV

At least that wasn't a VHS slot. But yeah, there was a time when their design clout couldn't even extend to force a third-party CD-ROM drive door to be the same color as the rest of the case.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

My middle school had the iMacs with these mice. They were a little awkward.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

My middle school had the iMacs with these mice. They were a little awkward.

I worked in a Mac-centric office in the early part of this century, and we had a bunch of the drat jelly iMacs with those idiot mice. We actually had a bunch of third-party add-ons that clipped to the stupid puck mice to give them a more usable shape.

When I realized that normal two-button USB mice worked just fine it made the whole Mac experience much more tolerable.

edit: I found a picture:

CaptainSarcastic has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Dec 29, 2015

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

Aaaaand that was the piece of garbage computer I got in '99 (you know, the one that I finally got with a sound card). 600MHz Pentium III, 256MB memory, 20GB drive, CD/DVD burner, and a goddamn Zip Drive (gently caress those things, but they were required at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh)... and the motherboard fried in '01, as I was trying to get my [complete poo poo] computer animation demo reel together.

loving thing cost $2,600 if I remember correctly.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Item Getter posted:

Am I the only one who used these POS?

Nope! I had one of those drives and several cartridges. I also had the SyQuest EZ 135 years later.

Even later, the 1GB Jaz drives.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Playing Miner 2049er, Wizardry, and Choplifter on my family's Apple II+ computer (with 64K RAM!)

SupraFAXModem with green LED readout indicating your connection speed. Most propeller heads at the time creamed their jeans over the US Robotics line of modems, but the Supra was great.

Power Macs

Arguments with PC/Windows faggots over computer platforms

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you were warned posted:

This all made me remember these bad boys, found in every room of my elementary school:

I bought one of those off the local craigslist earlier this year, it even has the TV card in it that displays amazing 320x240 video

I thought it would be cool to have a retro mac around the house but there's a rattling fan deep inside it and the CRT flickers like hell so eh :(
At least I can say I own a blackintosh from Apple's goth phase

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape

you were warned posted:

Hm... if tower, monitor, and accessories were sold together, it's possible that my dad bought a whole set and then took the monitor to his office, leaving her with whatever she'd already had. Either way, it was weird.

The all-in-one Power Mac. Many a game of The Incredible Machine was played on these. We also discovered the text-to-speech feature in SimpleText and got yelled at for making the computer say naughty words.

These kinda suck: http://lowendmac.com/1997/performa-and-power-mac-x200-issues/

quote:

One of the biggest complaints about the x200 series is slow Internet handling. For one thing all data from either the ports or the ethernet controller must pass through the processor to get to memory, then be processed, sent to the IDE controller for cache saving, and then interpreted for graphics display.

There are symptoms to notice because of this. While a web page is loading, typed characters will be lost. When dealing with high IDE access, the graphics controller will seem to freeze. When copying to a network or downloading a file, the monitor will rarely update and will have redraw problems. Spooled print jobs will take forever if lots of processor resizing is necessary.

The only thing that this machine really handles well is watching TV. Audio breaks if you type too fast or access the hard drive. And processor speeds, while passing benchmarks well, in real world are absolutely terrible. Neither video RAM nor L2 cache are upgradable, but in the case of this machine they would only serve to further slow it down.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Scorched Earth: The Mother of All Games

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Buttcoin purse posted:

Scorched Earth: The Mother of All Games

gently caress yeah when games were made for trolling eachother
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTKTYvMOd0

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Loading programs onto my family's TI-99/4a via cassette tape. Better yet, trying to impress friends with TI-Basic programs that made R2-D2 noises.... by making them sit while my 6yo self typed it out for a 5 second sound.

Speaking of the TI-99/4a, the Speech Synthesizer was a nifty gimmick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Legendary mainboard manufacturer: PC CHIPS. In the 486 and Socket 7 era, they made boards with fake cache chips, fake chipsets (reverse engineered UMC chipset but marked as ALi with a sticky label!) and then in the Slot1 era, they made boards which weren't capable of running 100MhZ FSB Pentium 2s (despite claiming otherwise), they were painfully slow.
I've had six M726 boards of theirs in my workshop. One worked fine, four were complete duds (wouldn't POST) one worked fine for a few weeks but then the voltage regulator died, and one board had a defective southbridge which coudln't cope with 100MhZ FSB, causing data transmission errors from the HDD. I "solved" the problem by disabling the HDD controller and putting in an ISA paddle card from a 386.
These boards had very questionable Winbond BIOS EEPROMs, you could reflash the bios in theory but you had a good chance of failing the flash due to data errors which would just garble the data on the chip.

No wonder PC CHIPS went out of business the moment Internet became common, despite the fact that they hid themselves under a bazillion of trade names (Amptron, Aristo, VXpro, BXcel and others) people grew wary of them and the sales plummeted, which served them right.

Apparently Atari used to do something similar. They failed to copyright Pong, so the market got flooded with clones, so Atari started putting chips in their units that were intentionally mislabeled to gently caress up anyone trying to reverse engineer it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Who else actually liked the iMac puck mice? When I first saw one I thought, "Wow, somebody finally made a mouse that doesn't have a bunch of extra plastic hanging off the back!" I couldn't wait for someone to make a three button clone with a longer cord that would work well with my PC.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Ram Doubler

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

don't need it, I got doublespace

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Wing Commander, though, from a bit earlier, I remember some computer magazine article about some of the most important PC games of all time and I think they ranked WC having some added importance in that it sort of overnight made people start upgrading their hardware specifically to play it.

Would that sort of mean that it maybe helped jumpstart the direction of PC gaming in the early/mid-90s by helping get more people into having better hardware, which games over the next few influential years prior to the launch of the PS1 would have benefited from?

It is, but it's also funny due to the fact that there were other games at the time with better graphics that required significantly less power, which was due to WC being really poorly coded for the era, but having a hype train behind it making it come off as a must play.

The dev learned a lot from this tactic

you were warned posted:

My mom had one of those, except her monitor wasn't from the set. So she ended up with these weirdly-shaped speakers with hooks on the side, and nothing to hook them to. :shrug:

I had one too, but it was a Packard Bell with a Pentium MMX I think. I played a lot of Jane's US Navy Fighters and Dark Forces on that one

Booblord Zagats has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Dec 29, 2015

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Howard Beale posted:

don't need it, I got doublespace

And the ever popular, super-shady STACKER:

During my first year in dormitory probably ten guys had the same idea: If Stacker doubled your hard drive space, and DoubleSpace doubled your hard drive space, then running both at once would quadruple it. You could end up with like 500 megabytes. It would have been clever if it worked.

We were at a fancy private college, so about half the students -- the Catholic school crowd -- had these:

Only God and their tutors know why.

Me, I found an office that was switching over to Windows machines and picked up this friendly little bastard:

They were asking $20 each. This was the mid '90s and a real computer had like 4 MB of RAM instead of 128K. Other students gave me poo poo about a postcard-sized black and white screen, but the Lisa never gave me a problem.*

After I graduated I gave it to a dowager aunt of mine -- that was in 1999. I imagine that unless a cat or ten peed on it she's still banging out misinformed historical erotica and wondering whether other human beings are good for anything. Either that or she's dead and the cats ate her.

* Of course I had to go the the computer lab to email anyone. In case you were wondering, the lab machines were a VAX terminal system and we handled email with PINE.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Playing Infocom text adventure games on the Apple II+ that were funnier, more imaginative, and cleverer than 95% of the crap put out these days

Meeting Doug Smith, author of Lode Runner, in his home before he sent the game off to Brøderbund to be published for the Apple II+. It became hugely successful and was eventually released for most of the popular computer platforms back in the day, including an arcade version.

Using ZTerm to access local BBSes on my Mac in the early '90's

Typing "PR#6" on the Apple II+ to get it to load the 5.25" floppy disk in the drive

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

this used to be really common for (lovely) computer monitors to come with speakers that attached to the side like that. a lot of times they would break off though and you'd find them just resting next to the monitor or leaning shoddily against the side of it.

they still sounded better than the speakers built into flat screens though I guess.

i'm more offended by that extremely stupid and superfluous looking keyboard

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Buttcoin purse posted:

:patriot: and lol

What's the game though?

Aces of the Pacific (1992)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
It's a great day for flying...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Brainworm posted:

* Of course I had to go the the computer lab to email anyone. In case you were wondering, the lab machines were a VAX terminal system and we handled email with PINE.

ah yes VMS and digital unix, the labs with row after row of vt320 terminals set to smooth scroll, the territorial grad student working on "his" term, somebody asking how to quit vi, lp0 and lp1 always down, the genius who wrote "/var/spool/paper" above the toilet paper in the restroom and the creepy guy in the far corner on furrymuck 24/7

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Who else actually liked the iMac puck mice? When I first saw one I thought, "Wow, somebody finally made a mouse that doesn't have a bunch of extra plastic hanging off the back!" I couldn't wait for someone to make a three button clone with a longer cord that would work well with my PC.

Ah yup

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
Does anybody want to join my webring?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ultraviper posted:

Does anybody want to join my webring?

Pretty sure that's how Sheen got AIDS

Enthusiasm
Jul 11, 2010

NEVER go back for any reason.
my dad would always play some 95/98 era game called.. Necropolis? all I really remember is I think it was an isometric adventure puzzle sort of thing, and it had some dank rear end box art. he said i was too young to play it, but he let me play duke3d. I guess it had boobies or something. Haven't been able to find anything on that game since. gently caress you, dad, i wanted to play it.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
cowspin.flm

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.
I just thought of another great game from the 90s - Caesar II. Hours would magically disappear when playing that game.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Rise of the Triad owned.

Buttcoin purse posted:

It was so ugly compared to DOOM which came out at least a year before it :barf:

One of the id Software guys (Tom Hall) got kicked out of the company while they were making Doom, so he went on to make RotT without the benefit of John Carmack's spergy wizardry.

e: Still a fun game though. I think I remember it instantly killing you and printing some snarky message if you tried to use Doom cheat codes.

Skeleton Ape has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Dec 29, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anton Chigurh posted:

Using ZTerm to access local BBSes on my Mac in the early '90's

Man, I still have to use ZTerm if I want to do serial comms, like for Arduino programming (when I want more flexibility than the IDE gives me). Either that or write my own stupid client in Python or something.

Serial terminals are a technology that will never be popular again but will also never die. I still laugh every time I think of the fugly licensing job Microsoft did cramming Hyperterminal into Windows for all those years.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The one that came with my G4 tower had a wide indent on the mouse button, so it was easy to feel which way was up. They eventually made that change in response to people's frustration, but it was too late. Since I never had any problems with that, and I have small hands, I really liked the puck mouse! I actually recently thought about grabbing one from eBay to be silly, but apparently the indented ones are way more uncommon than I expected.

Yeah, the Performas were a series of trainwrecks. I actually had a 6360, which they note as being the only one that isn't a disaster. I think that all-in-one case design was also used for a non-Performa Power Mac that was better, though. There were a million different model numbers with slightly different specs around that time, and it was excessively confusing.

Howard Beale posted:

hanging speakers from the monitor is amateur hour compared to the Compaq Presario which shoved the speakers into the monitor and took the CPU with it as well

aww so cute, it thinks it's a mac

Can't decide if it's even uglier than this actual mac

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

:greencube:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I remember selling compaqs at Radioshack and telling people they just HAD to get MSN dialup to save $200 off the computer.

I felt bad about it until payday, sweet sweet 'spiffs'.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Data Graham posted:

May I present the Macintosh TV

At least that wasn't a VHS slot. But yeah, there was a time when their design clout couldn't even extend to force a third-party CD-ROM drive door to be the same color as the rest of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what the christ is that