Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

and this is the comic where subtext becomes text

Haven't Robot and Shadow been a couple for a while? Robot realised he loved him way back here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Haven't Robot and Shadow been a couple for a while? Robot realised he loved him way back here.

Loving someone and being in love with them are different. The new panel implies differently but to me that one is a platonic love.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They're holding hands a couple of pages later.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1129

just rooftop cuddling with my platonic bro, as we contently listen to the sounds of each others bodies. as friends. nbd

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YES bread posted:

just rooftop cuddling with my platonic bro, as we contently listen to the sounds of each others bodies. as friends. nbd

If Annie and Kat lay together in the same pose you wouldn't be calling it romantic because we know they are pals. I guess it is different for guys or in this case a robot and shadow.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
hmm yeah. I guess if a thing that never happened did happen, things would be different. you're kind of dense, my good dude

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YES bread posted:

Ruby and Sapphire are just buddies

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YES bread posted:

hmm yeah. I guess if a thing that never happened did happen, things would be different. you're kind of dense, my good dude

Gunnerkrigg is not the easiest thing to search through but there are 2 quick examples.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It is interesting how certain visual cues can seem similar but telegraph completely different things; I've always seen Robot and Shadow as a romantic couple and Annie and Kat as a platonic friends despite the fact that both are shown being physically close in similar ways.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
are you legitimately unable to tell the difference between those and the shadow and robot panels?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YES bread posted:

are you legitimately unable to tell the difference between those and the shadow and robot panels?

I did not immediately ascribe typical human feelings of intimacy and romance to the literal shadow and the robot he was formerly attached to.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
^^^uhh why not? the comic has told us that robots are capable of romantic-like infatuation. the shadow folks are basically coyote's attempt at making people so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to feel things

Like I often chill on the couch with my friends or brother in a pose similar to the first one but I dont lay my head on their chest and comment on the sound of their heartbeat because that would be loving weird dude

YES bread fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 30, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I just say "no homo" afterwards

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YES bread posted:

^^^uhh why not? the comic has told us that robots are capable of romantic-like infatuation. the shadow folks are basically coyote's attempt at making people so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to feel things

Like I often chill on the couch with my friends or brother in a pose similar to the first one but I dont lay my head on their chest and comment on the sound of their heartbeat because that would be loving weird dude

That is not what I am saying though. What I am saying is that kind of physical closeness might not have the same romantic connotations or meaning for a shadow and robot as it does for people. This entire arc for example is about Robot feeling human sensations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

theyre gay

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

If Annie and Kat lay together in the same pose you wouldn't be calling it romantic because we know they are pals. I guess it is different for guys or in this case a robot and shadow.

Actually, most people would, and that's why we never see those two doing that. Because, you know, they aren't into each other. Those pictures you posted, meanwhile, one's a treatise and not an actual event in the comic, and the other is the two sitting around casually rather than rubbing up on each other and commenting on each other's bodily functions. There's a pretty clear difference between how Kat and Annie interact and Robot and Shadow, or Kat and Paz for that matter.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

That is not what I am saying though. What I am saying is that kind of physical closeness might not have the same romantic connotations or meaning for a shadow and robot as it does for people. This entire arc for example is about Robot feeling human sensations.

well okay. but the comic has explicitly shown us the opposite of that, ie. the manual that informs students what to do if a robot falls in love with them + Kat mistaking Paz's love letter as being from a robot, as well as the heavy forshadowing of Robot and Shadow specifically in aforelinked panels and also this scene http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1444.

I legitimately can't recall anything in the comic about robot or shadow having weird cultural differences w/r/t human affection and the way its displayed. this just seems really cut and dry to me

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

the thread posted:

i'm gay

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Roland Jones posted:

rubbing up on each other and commenting on each other's bodily functions.

romance

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
nevermind

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

true but irrelevant

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Kat+Annie could have gone romantic and it wouldn't have felt forced, but it didn't. Robot+Shadow could have gone non-romantic and it'd have been fine, but they didn't.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This thread x shitposting forever.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You can really tell the people who have never had relationships of any kind in this thread. drat.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You can really tell the people who have never had relationships of any kind in this thread. drat.

You can tell because they're all posting on something awful dot com

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man at least chibisoma didnt bring that poo poo into the thread directly. most of the drama was crossposted by tea-san so it was presented as an entertaining meltdown bomb

this is just a very lot of garbage

nearly 1000 pages, we were so close

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Tom in a recent interview posted:

I can say with no uncertainty that Zimmy and Gamma are a couple, and the same goes for Robot and Shadow, though it is true that their situations are much more complex than that. [...] Robot and Shadow are a couple, but the important aspect is how they are creatures that are changing over time and how they reconcile their feelings.

They've been a couple for awhile y'all

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Disgusting Coward posted:

I'm just saying as Gunnerkrigg continues it's fairly obvious that Tom is needing to spend less time imagining the sexual awakening he never actually had and more time endeavoring to get a full-buttocked grown up to envelop his genitals cause having everyone in Gunnerkrigg go all blush-winsome smile-touch each other's arms is both tedious and the first step on the road to a lonely Siddell swinging from the rafter of a sparsely furnished bedsit.

The same goes for John Allison; the further down the path of spunky-tween-touches he goes the closer he gets to an inappropriate dick pic and a panicky suicide. Anyway I shall tarry no longer cause anyone saying anything that doesn't involve that stupid kitty mouth smiley is probably not gonna be welcomed in this discussion and I hope you all have a nice 2016.

I'm revoking your hyphen privileges.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Keiya posted:

Kat+Annie could have gone romantic and it wouldn't have felt forced, but it didn't. Robot+Shadow could have gone non-romantic and it'd have been fine, but they didn't.
:agreed:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
AW, They are so cute. :3:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I wonder what solid shadow feels like.

Solid Shadow is also totally the name of the protagonist of my Metal Gear Solid rip off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was okay before but I like him now that he's a more three dimensional character.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beep boop I am posting about relationships.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nobody had any trouble when robot was going full bloodrage Raiden a few panels back. Why is this current emotion so hard to handle?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Nobody had any trouble when robot was going full bloodrage Raiden a few panels back. Why is this current emotion so hard to handle?

Everyone's fine, one guy's having issues, he's a weirdo, for some reason goons don't know how to ignore a clearly crazy person. This is the internet, people. Ignore and move on.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kat turn off my cuddling inhibitors

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

But moving on is booooooring and mature and I'm on holiday.

Yeah yeah its that one poster.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's one poster getting extremely angry over the concept of emotions and another poster just being confused by them.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ElMaligno posted:

Kat turn off my cuddling inhibitors
RULES OF ROMANCE!
And he picks a nice restaurant
Then he orders some wine (RED WIIIIIINE)
Chat a while (SMALL TAAAALK)
Flashes that hundred-watt smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Robot just discovered pain, he's only now discovering love. He and Shadow were a kind of couple before, but the true romance starts now.