Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Nameless Dread posted:

Do you guys ever have run ins with people or cops doing night photography? I was almost robbed when some guy tried to straight up snatch my tripod (I was too close to a strip club, my fault). And cops are constantly harassing me about what i'm doing.

Maybe i just need to move.

What city are you working in? Granted, I'm in the midwest (Kansas City) but I've never had any trouble with cops (at most they have asked me about my gear, or jokingly asked me to take a picture of them). Only encounter I've ever had with anyone else was a concerned property owner who decided to approach me in the sketchiest way possible (sneaking up on me while I was shooting, I guess he just wanted to make sure that I wasn't trying to portray the area in a negative light because it is a fairly sketchy area trying to reinvent itself).

Sucks about the attempted robbery though. Depending on the area, I will be rolling out with a friend or two to keep an eye out and keep me company while I'm working, because there's no way I'm that aware of my surroundings when I'm looking up reciprocity values and stuff. Probably makes for horrible conversation while I'm working, but they enjoy hanging with me well enough.

e: just saw the update. I guess just know your rights--you aren't doing anything illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've had a lot of people watching with the stuff I've been shooting lately. They mostly stop giving a poo poo after a few seconds. I'm sure I'll be hassled by cops/a concerned citizen eventually.

It hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I go out late enough/shoot in remote enough locations (most of Oregon) that I rarely run into anyone at night.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
In my experience rural cops are the worst with this type of thing. I got stopped and had my license checked just last night. This is was in rural MA, I never get hassled in Boston / Cambridge / Somerville. No ones ever tried to steal my poo poo but I worry about it constantly when I'm out at night in some neighborhoods.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Thoogsby posted:

No ones ever tried to steal my poo poo but I worry about it constantly when I'm out at night in some neighborhoods.

Get a pentax 67. You can crack 'em in the head with it, and it'll keep on shooting.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Shellman posted:

Get a pentax 67. You can crack 'em in the head with it, and it'll keep on shooting.

I've got an RZ67 which is basically a metal cube with a handle attached if anyone tries to rush me.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
I had a guy pull up really close to me in a pickup truck once in East St. Louis, but all he wanted to know was where the Popeye's was. Otherwise, people usually leave me alone.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I got hassled, first by a sketchy gentleman on a bike (asked to borrow my phone) and then a cop, who said someone called in a report on me for suspicious activity, while trying to take this one:

The cop was cool about it, but I used to work with LE in the town so I don't ever really expect to be truly hassled when I'm in the area.

In the big city, on the other hand, I was engaged to a somewhat circular conversation by a resident in a car around the time I took this photo:

This was in broad daylight on a busy street on a weekday afternoon, so I was a little taken aback by this middle-aged lady in a Prius giving me the third degree about what I was doing taking pictures in her neighborhood. But I guess I would be concerned, too, if there had been break-ins near where I lived. Still, you'd think a guy with a giant old film camera in one hand a point-and-shoot in the other, waving past cars while he crouches down in the middle of the street to take a picture of the an alley behind a shopping center, would attract some curiosity or bewilderment, but I don't see how you could read malice into it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah you're brave taking photos of the first one, cops here would tell you to gtfo if you were taking pictures of security related stuff even if you are legally allowed to.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I once had a car load of teenagers yell out "gently caress off, hipster" when I was wandering around an industrial area on a Sunday afternoon with my Mamiya C330. No run ins with the cops though.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

elgarbo posted:

I once had a car load of teenagers yell out "gently caress off, hipster" when I was wandering around an industrial area on a Sunday afternoon with my Mamiya C330. No run ins with the cops though.

Haha that's great. I was prepared for that when I was shooting down in an industrial area here with my C330 around my neck, and my 4x5 slung over my shoulder on my tripod and realized I was walking right past a wedding reception at an 'event space' that had been converted from whatever old building it used to be...but no such luck.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This was in broad daylight on a busy street on a weekday afternoon, so I was a little taken aback by this middle-aged lady in a Prius giving me the third degree about what I was doing taking pictures in her neighborhood. But I guess I would be concerned, too, if there had been break-ins near where I lived. Still, you'd think a guy with a giant old film camera in one hand a point-and-shoot in the other, waving past cars while he crouches down in the middle of the street to take a picture of the an alley behind a shopping center, would attract some curiosity or bewilderment, but I don't see how you could read malice into it.

I got involved in a conversation with a concerned resident once who told me that there had been people in the area recently stealing mail out of mailboxes. He was fine, talked to me the whole time I was making my exposure until I was on my way. I try to avoid places where I would get hassled.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

elgarbo posted:

hahahaha

I've never had a run-in with anyone before. It helps that I mostly shoot things on the side of the highway or in my touristy town.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

elgarbo posted:

I've had this while shooting some long night time exposures in Perth, but as a rule of thumb Australians are philistines.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I live in Kyiv these days. I first came here back in April for a week-long job interview for which I brought my camera gear. I had got lost on the metro the previous night and noticed that a lot of metro stations are a: awesome and b: almost empty late at night. So I came back the next night to take this photo.

Olimpiyska Metro by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I was trying for an HDR composite so I had my tripod and I had to wait for a sweet spot between trains when the central hall wasn't full of people. So I was there for a while with my camera set up being patient and trying to stay out of the way until there was a long enough window for my shots. After about ten minutes the station lady came up to me and started yelling at me in Ukrainian (which I don't speak), but it was clear that she wasn't happy about the camera. I'd already got some shots and I didn't want to get into trouble so I started packing it up. She leaves and a policeman comes over and asks me some questions in Ukrainian, each of which I reply to in English with some variant of 'I'm sorry, I don't understand you, do you speak English?'. After about five minutes of this he decides that he does speak English after all and asks for my ID. I give him my passport and he checks it carefully. HE asks me a bunch of questions - how old are you? Are you married? Why aren't you married at your age? and so on. Then he tells me that I have to be careful. It is easy to get into trouble with the police here in Kyiv. You can be taken into custody, all of your possessions can be taken and you can be expelled from the country with nothing. Then he smiles and tells me that normally however you can pay the policeman a special fine and everything will be ok. I thank him for his kind advice, take my passport back and leave quickly.

That's the only photography related trouble I've had with the police. I live in a very highly secure part of the city - the President's office is the other side of a small square from my apartment and the parliament is in the next street so there are always soldiers and military vehicles patrolling. I walk around late at night, taking photos in central Kyiv and never get hassled by the security forces or by suspicious civilians.

This was taken in the entrance to the courtyard behind my apartment a few weeks ago.

I expected that his heavily armed buddies would ask for my SD card, but they didn't care.

Militia on the street by Iain Compton, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I had a roma rear end in a top hat pull a gun to my face and threaten to kill me :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fourth Plain by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Caerwent

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I once had someone threatan to beat the poo poo out of me if I pointed my camera in their direction once. It was a pretty seedy part of town but there was some cool old buildings I wanted pictures of.

I also had one where I had my car pulled over on a very narrow neighborhood road and I was trying to collapse my tripod to get it back in the car when another vehicle showed up. Since I had the door open there was no way for them to get around me and it took me a few seconds to clear a path and they tapped their horn at me. Sorry dude, tripods are cumbersome. :smith:

I don't think I've ever even seen a cop when I have my camera out.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Riverfront Apartments by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

Mississippi River's coming up. By Friday it's going to be over my head where I was standing.

Rising Waters by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

This is sick

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Botanical Gardens by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Grove Market by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Sunrise at Spray Lakes by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
winter morning at Spray Lakes by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Kananaskis Range? by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Ha Ling Peak by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Whitemans Pond by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

petition to rename the thread "Dorkroom School of Landscape Portrature"

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC5995 by Maciej, on Flickr

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jalan Lima by alkanphel, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Pier by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Happy Holidays by Tom Olson, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I really dig this stuff.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Casa del Mar by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Those are always better without evidence of the car hood/frame, IMO.