Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Still not holding my breath on any kind of justice being meted out over this - unless they get his case transferred to adult court from juvenile court the longest he'll spend in a juvenile facility for violating his probation is about four months until he turns 19 in April of next year.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Sounds like your local jurisdiction has its priorities hosed up. It should be the other way around.

Nah, because by just cruising in the left lane, you're passively (or passive-aggressively) being an rear end in a top hat. By passing on the right, you are actively doing something that is considered dangerous.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

So why were you driving in the left lane when there are no other cars on the road?

I had just merged on about a minute and a half earlier from the left (I was only on the highway maybe 4 minutes total counting being slowed down by this) and there had been traffic in the right lane that I left distantly in my rearview mirror, and given how much smoother the left lane is I hadn't bothered to change lanes yet. Far left lane smooth, middle lane bumpy, right lane rumbly this stretch.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Geoj posted:

Still not holding my breath on any kind of justice being meted out over this - unless they get his case transferred to adult court from juvenile court the longest he'll spend in a juvenile facility for violating his probation is about four months until he turns 19 in April of next year.

AI needs a Dexter

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just force him to drive with a dog on his lap.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Roundabouts eh? How do they work?

http://gfycat.com/CavernousMagnificentAnkolewatusi

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I have got to get out of NY state. :cripes: Everybody from around here drives like an idiot, an rear end in a top hat, or an idiotic rear end in a top hat.

Just today, I was stopped at a one lane road ready to turn right. Green car in front of me, white pickup behind me, light was red. Right rear door on the green car opens up, somebody gets out. Odd, but not the first time I've seen it happen. Light turns green, front right door opens up, person takes their leisurely time getting out, jerkass. Apparently the person in the pickup behind me is loving done with waiting for anything ever, and passes me and the green car on the left after crossing the double yellows, nearly hits an oncoming car and blasts the gently caress down the hill to the left I was intending on going down.

Caught up with him on the next stoplight, followed him for the next few minutes until I turned off to head home. :byewhore: Hope nearly hitting somebody was worth the literal 3 seconds you saved, you giant loving rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Idiots are everywhere, the only option you have is density. Move to bumblefuck Montana or something and you might only see one car on your drive home, but there's still a 50/50 chance of them being in the process of doing something stupid.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

KozmoNaut posted:

Around here, not keeping right is a ~$150 fine, while passing on the right is a ~$300 fine and a mark on your license (if you get 3 marks within 3 years, you'll have to retake it, to the tune of ~$750).

So yeah, stop loving around in the left lane if you're not actively passing anyone.
Same here, except around here people just move over if you flash high beams at them.

Especially over in Germany, a lot of the autobahn near here is still unrestricted. It's hard to judge speed differences in a rearview mirror when the differences get to be well over 100kph. Thank gently caress most of the people who drive really fast flash their high beams.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Nitrox posted:

Seriously. Flashing lights at a car instead of performing a simple passing maneuver is rather selfish and obnoxious. No surprise that other selfish and obnoxious driver took it as a grave insult/challenge/invitation.

Other problem is these loving idiots sitting in the passing lane when theres no traffic are the same loving morons sitting in the empty passing lane doing 5 under when there is traffic and theres no way to get around them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's not "proper" to undertake here, but everyone does it because no one keeps right properly. Neither is ever penalized. I always keep right when I can, and I try not to undertake just because it tends to gently caress up merge lanes and whatnot, but I will if I have to. Flashing to pass is basically useless because no one who isn't already keeping right knows what it means.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Regarding flashing to pass, I spent most of the day driving along the 101 in Oregon and Washington. It was mostly the best experience I've ever had on that road. There were less people driving because of the weather and time of year so very few times being stuck behind anyone. There were still a few. One was a van full of people doing 35 in a 55 because of turns (weather was decent enough to safely do the limit, even in the turns). If you've been on the 101 you know what I'm talking about. So I was wondering what the proper procedure is for driving etiquette in this situation. Obviously they should use any of the numerous turnouts to let faster traffic by so everyone behind them doesn't have to wait 7 miles for the next patch of passing lane. Flashing your high beams is the general "please move over so faster traffic can pass" signal on two or more lane highways, does it apply here as well? Also, why do these assholes always floor it and speed up as fast as possible once it does become clear for someone to pass (either goes to two lanes or dotted yellow with no oncoming traffic!?)?

Was following an Oregon State Police car last night doing 59ish in a 55 and the police car started to pull away so I stayed at 59. About 2 minutes later a BMW comes flying up from behind and rides my rear end for about a mile before I get the first chance to use a turnout to let him by. Cue feigned surprise when not long after we pass the OSP with his lights on. His victim? The tailgater. We slowed and waved.

I'm not saying don't go fast or don't go slow, but if you are slower than the person behind you let them through. If you are faster than the person in front of you don't tailgating them.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I used to try to use flash-to-pass but it got me flipped off and brake checked more times than it had it's desired effect. Nobody in America* understands it as "please let me pass" and therefore interprets it as "gently caress THIS GUY FLASHING HIS loving LIGHTS AT ME!" I used to try to be really good about never passing on the right and allowing people plenty of time to move over but now if I have a gap to get around a left lane dawdler I take it. I still don't pass trucks on the right, though.

*At least in Arkansas.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This time of year where I live in Australia the town becomes a tourist town. Not only is it generally not worth driving anywhere but I had to drive the other day and strayed too close to the tourist zone. The first one I came across was a pile of tourists walking down the centre of the road. While the speed limit is lower due to high pedestrian activity it's still no excuse for them to be wandering down the road when there's footpaths either side. Honking at them made them move but they death glared me. A few streets later attempting to get to the main street a wonderful tourist decided that stopping to let traffic turn from the left was fine. Even after two horn blasts they still sat there not moving letting more tourists through. I've since given up and started walking to the shops as it is less stressful than attempting to drive anywhere atm

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, because by just cruising in the left lane, you're passively (or passive-aggressively) being an rear end in a top hat. By passing on the right, you are actively doing something that is considered dangerous.

Moving out of the left lane solves the latter, in most cases. I stand by my assertion. :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Moving out of the left lane solves the latter, in most cases. I stand by my assertion. :colbert:

Yes, but you cannot hold the person hanging out in the left lane responsible for the actions of other drivers, no matter how lovely their actions may be.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

I used to try to use flash-to-pass but it got me flipped off and brake checked more times than it had it's desired effect. Nobody in America* understands it as "please let me pass" and therefore interprets it as "gently caress THIS GUY FLASHING HIS loving LIGHTS AT ME!" I used to try to be really good about never passing on the right and allowing people plenty of time to move over but now if I have a gap to get around a left lane dawdler I take it. I still don't pass trucks on the right, though.

*At least in Arkansas.

In Pennsylvania, use of high beams is restricted to areas where they won't blind other drivers. "Flashing" usually falls into "intentionally attempting to blind others" and is an actual offense. It's recommended that you momentarily turn your lights off and then on to get attention instead. We also don't have strict passing or left lane laws, or at least not when I took drivers ed course years ago...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nitrox posted:

In Pennsylvania, use of high beams is restricted to areas where they won't blind other drivers. "Flashing" usually falls into "intentionally attempting to blind others" and is an actual offense. It's recommended that you momentarily turn your lights off and then on to get attention instead. We also don't have strict passing or left lane laws, or at least not when I took drivers ed course years ago...

And for some idiot reason, all our cars are wired with the ability to flash the brights rapidly, instead of flashing the normal beams off. I've never understood that decision, but then I've never lived anywhere where flashing high beams is actually the legally correct action.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a medium sized truck barreling down the road and passing people left and right. Dude did not let anyone slow him down unduly and I was sort of impressed with his confidence until I got closer and saw it was a rental. That made me sort of nervous because he could have been a clueless moron in a vehicle he did not know who was endangering everyone around him.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

Nitrox posted:

PA title 75 section 3303 now states now states that flashing high beams is only not permitted if traveling in opposing direction. Flashing to pass is now defined as a suitable signal to give way to passing vehicle. There are still no penalties for staying in the left lane but undertaking is permitted per section 3304.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/75/75.HTM

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrox posted:

"They didn't teach that in driver's ed, officer" isn't going to get you too far.

quote:

THE VEHICLE CODE (TITLE 75)

PART III. OPERATION OF VEHICLES

CHAPTER 33. RULES OF THE ROAD IN GENERAL

Subchapter A - General Provisions.

§ 3313. Restrictions on use of limited access highways.

(d) Driving in right lane.--

1. Except as provided in paragraph (2) and unless otherwise posted, upon all limited access highways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lanes when available for traffic except when any of the following conditions exist:
i. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction,
ii. When traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow.
iii. When moving left to allow traffic to merge.
iv. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted.

quote:

Title 75 - VEHICLES
Chapter 43 - Lighting Equipment
4306 - Use of multiple-beam road lighting equipment.

§ 4306. Use of multiple-beam road lighting equipment.
(a) Approaching an oncoming vehicle.--Whenever the driver of
a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the
driver shall use the low beam of light.
(b) Approaching a vehicle from rear.--Whenever the driver of
a vehicle approaches another vehicle from the rear within 300
feet, the driver shall use the low beam of light.
(c) Exception.--
(1) An emergency vehicle which is equipped with a
flashing headlamp system that conforms to regulations
promulgated by the department shall be exempt from the
provisions of this section only when the vehicle is being
used pursuant to the provisions of section 4571(e) (relating
to visual and audible signals on emergency vehicles).
(2) Nothing in this section shall limit drivers from
flashing high beams at oncoming vehicles as a warning of
roadway emergencies or other dangerous or hazardous
conditions ahead.

(Dec. 18, 1992, P.L.1411, No.174, eff. 60 days; Dec. 21, 1998,
P.L.1126, No.151, eff. imd.; June 26, 2001, P.L.734, No.75, eff.
60 days)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

And for some idiot reason, all our cars are wired with the ability to flash the brights rapidly, instead of flashing the normal beams off. I've never understood that decision, but then I've never lived anywhere where flashing high beams is actually the legally correct action.
The flashing function will activate high beam, whether low beam on our off, and is the brighter option. It's also much easier/faster to disengage. High beams are incredibly helpful when driving on unlit rural roads in PA at night, I've had more than one close call with suicidal wildlife out there.

Thanks everyone for looking up the actual law. Things may have changed in 20 years. I still think that flashing high beams at incoming traffic should be the last resort option, even if allowed.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If I pass an accident or an emergency vehicle parked on the opposite side of the road and I feel like oncoming traffic won't be able to see it around the bend, I'll double flash once, wait, then double flash again to give them an advance warning. Just a couple short toots. It might snap their focus off of the phone or the radio or whatever else they're doing, and if that gives them a few more seconds in reaction time I feel it's worth it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So, say you are driving along in the right lane, there's a slower car ahead in the left lane. Are you guys saying that you won't just keep driving and go by them on the right? Are you going to slow down and not pass? Get into the left lane and try to force them to move over? It seems like spending more time around an oblivious moron and possibly causing a conflict/road rage incident would be less safe than just going by them on the right.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

So, say you are driving along in the right lane, there's a slower car ahead in the left lane. Are you guys saying that you won't just keep driving and go by them on the right? Are you going to slow down and not pass? Get into the left lane and try to force them to move over? It seems like spending more time around an oblivious moron and possibly causing a conflict/road rage incident would be less safe than just going by them on the right.

I'll get over in the left lane because it's the passing lane. I'll turn on my left blinker. If that doesn't work I'll flash my high beams. Then I'll begin aggressively tailgating while gesticulating wildly. Usually around this time I have a stroke so the issue of passing becomes moot as I crash.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

jamal posted:

I dunno about the posters above but I just keep on truckin' like you say. The times I've actually switched lanes and gotten behind someone cruising in the left, half the time they move over and half the time they don't. When they do move over, half the time they'll go right back into the left lane after I pass. It's like Markov's chain of idiocy. I've also never seen anyone in the middle lane move to the right, ever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In IL, flashing your brights generally means that you are giving up the right of way to another car. Mostly, it's to signal cars that they can pull out of driveways in front of you. Probably not the legal usage, but that's how most everybody treats it.

Which is why I was super nervous when I got a motorcycle and heard of people flashing their brights as a "I'm coming, get out of my way" signal. If I tried that around here, the person I was attempting to warn about my presence would just pull out in front of me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Flashing your brights means "hey rear end in a top hat" literally everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This seems like a pretty interesting street to live on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7k08Ytdq4

Only the first few minutes are car related shenanigans. The dude spinning donuts in the middle of the night is a hero. Everyone else.. not so much.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

xzzy posted:

Only the first few minutes are car related shenanigans. The dude spinning donuts in the middle of the night is a hero. Everyone else.. not so much.

:stare: Jesus, that dude needs to move. I was surprised by how many people that motion light in his carport deterred.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

PCOS Bill posted:

Last night I was on the highway, just me and one other car as far as the eye can see, both of us in the left lane, me approaching from behind. They make no sign of changing lanes, so from about 10 seconds out I give them a quick flash of my high beams to say hey, I'm here, please excuse me.

Nothing.

Get a bit closer, a few seconds later, another flash. They tap their brakes.

3 car lengths back, they're still doing about 60, I flash my high again, they stand on their brake and come to a near stop, I pass them quickly on the right. They finally change lanes to the right lane.

To ride my rear end.

With their high beams on.

Laying on the horn.

What a night to pick to drive instead of my two wheeled jet.

A few times (usually when driving a car I hate and having a lovely day) I've been in a foul enough mood to simply stuff it in third gear and drop the clutch when some asswipe pulled this kind of poo poo on me. Smart thing to do? gently caress no. Right thing to do? No. Satisfying watching the douchebag poo poo themselves while panic braking? Very much so.

Around here people will move over about 50% of the time if you flick the brights at them. Another 20% will never even notice because they have their head up their rear end / are applying makeup / are watching beiber videos on their phone and texting / I have no loving idea. Another 10% will speed up a bit and maybe move over. The remainder are about evenly split between the asswads who will intentionally block you while gesturing angrily, brake check you, and/or throw poo poo out the windows at you.

At this point I simply do not give a gently caress anymore. If you are in the left lane and hogging it, I WILL pass you, using any combination of legal lanes (no, I'm not overtaking on the shoulder, that's really stupid) and I don't give a rat's rear end if you want to prove to me how wrong I am in doing that by crawling up my rear end and high beaming me, gently caress you I'll just adjust my rearview till it reflects your high beams into your own eyes. Left lane hogging is illegal in this state (mass vehicle code 89-4B) and passing on the right is legal so get hosed I don't care about how butthurt I just made you by passing you on the right when you intentionally blocked me because I dared to interrupt your Bubble Gem Saga In The Left Lane While Texting My Besties party.

Cage posted:

Flashing your brights means "hey rear end in a top hat" literally everywhere.

You live in New York dude.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

kastein posted:

At this point I simply do not give a gently caress anymore. If you are in the left lane and hogging it, I WILL pass you,

I don't take this approach now (although I have once or twice) I tend to sit back, move over and wait but a few moments for someone with your method to come along and take the stress out of it. Plus, undertaking, in the rare event a cop was there to see it, is a reasonably big no-no in the uk.

I have laid on the horn and highbeams for a person texting and ignoring the road multiple times, it's illegal here and I'm loving glad of it. I'm about to trial a chinese 12V airhorn set to run in combination with my current horn for better gently caress youability

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Scruff McGruff posted:

:stare: Jesus, that dude needs to move.

This. Holy poo poo.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

DesperateDan posted:

I don't take this approach now (although I have once or twice) I tend to sit back, move over and wait but a few moments for someone with your method to come along and take the stress out of it. Plus, undertaking, in the rare event a cop was there to see it, is a reasonably big no-no in the uk.

In the US, it's a a lot more lax. Lane discipline laws exist, but there are enough lead foots to nail for doing 90+ in a 70 when traffic is doing 80 that your chance of getting dinged for undertaking a lane hog is practically zero.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Assuming it's even illegal. I checked and passing on the right is legal in at least MA, RI, CT, NH, VT, and ME, with varying caveats per state*. That covers 99.999% of the driving I do, so good enough.

* for example it's only legal on interstates with 3+ lanes in CT, and some other cases. In most of the others it's legal to use any legal travel lane to pass on the right at any time. VT states that you should use a left lane if possible, but right lane is legal.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

TNO posted:

In the US, it's a a lot more lax. Lane discipline laws exist, but there are enough lead foots to nail for doing 90+ in a 70 when traffic is doing 80 that your chance of getting dinged for undertaking a lane hog is practically zero.

Ah ha, but that guy who would be doing 90 is now trapped behind me who is trapped behind the guy hogging the left lane doing 70 right next to the dude in the right lane doing 70 because he's afraid to undertake! We can't rely on the 90mph guy distracting the cops until someone undertakes, but no one will undertake until someone else is doing 90 to distract the cops. Traffic paradox whoaaaa!

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

davebo posted:

Ah ha, but that guy who would be doing 90 is now trapped behind me who is trapped behind the guy hogging the left lane doing 70 right next to the dude in the right lane doing 70 because he's afraid to undertake! We can't rely on the 90mph guy distracting the cops until someone undertakes, but no one will undertake until someone else is doing 90 to distract the cops. Traffic paradox whoaaaa!

That's why they leave orange barrels on one shoulder. Even if the work zone is long gone, the mere hint that there may be a lane closure ahead will get somebody to blink and step on it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

xzzy posted:

Because only a dweeb would be obsessed with a fantasy monster.

I'm not a dweeb *puts on fedora*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

M'Lane discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

Finally had my, "I wish I had a dashcam," moment. I turned into my neighborhood going the speed limit. Guy behind me decides 25 is too slow in a residential area at night, jumps across the double yellow and would have caused an accident if I hadn't slammed my brakes when I saw the car coming the opposite direction around a semi-blind corner.