Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

shrike82 posted:

jfc how long is 1-5?

Very long, but it is oh so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if you ever wanted to describe AA to someone, I present this evidence:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I object! That was... objectionable! and You're lying, dammit, and I can prove it! are my favorite quotes personally

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am a big fan of the bit where Edgeworth keeps objecting until he thinks of something to object to.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

fronz posted:

I am a big fan of the bit where Edgeworth keeps objecting until he thinks of something to object to.

"Objection!"
"Yes? What is it you're objecting to, Mr. Edgeworth?"
"Yes!....Um, I was hoping to think of something in the time it took me to shout 'Objection', but I wasn't able to."
"Alright, well, if we can just proceed with --"
"OBJECTION! Now I remember what it was I was going to say!"

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
"Are..." "You..." "High! The girl is really high in this picture!" from 3-5 is my favorite quote from the series.

But if we are talking about objections the "OBJECTION! That's just dumb!" from Apollo Justice is also a good one for me

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
"But that's my card! By offering me something I already own, you're in effect eschewing the very basis of our consumer society, namely the principle of fair trade! Man, for a grown-up, you sure are dumb!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The miracle never happen...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the "miracle" never happen

gotta remember the quotes

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Strange Quark posted:

"But that's my card! By offering me something I already own, you're in effect eschewing the very basis of our consumer society, namely the principle of fair trade! Man, for a grown-up, you sure are dumb!"

I forgot all about this line until I replayed the Trilogy. Cody was great.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Plom Bar posted:

"Objection!"
"Yes? What is it you're objecting to, Mr. Edgeworth?"
"Yes!....Um, I was hoping to think of something in the time it took me to shout 'Objection', but I wasn't able to."
"Alright, well, if we can just proceed with --"
"OBJECTION! Now I remember what it was I was going to say!"

This is best if you choose the option before this to make Phoenix slam the table and go "I was hoping to think of something while I was slamming the table. I couldn't." right before Edgeworth pulls the same stunt. Verily, therefore... Ergo!

"I tried reading one of these legal books of Mia's. It made my head hurt, then my hand slipped. Now my foot hurts too."

Also I believe if you check the bookshelf at the right moment in 1-5 then Ema tries to study one of the books herself. With predictable results!

nftyw fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 30, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

We were done talking about this last page but its important to remember it was the puppet who was in love, not the actual guy. Get it together guys. Ben is an honest and good person, do not sully his name. Trilo is the creep.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

mabels big day posted:

We were done talking about this last page but its important to remember it was the puppet who was in love, not the actual guy. Get it together guys. Ben is an honest and good person, do not sully his name. Trilo is the creep.

I would enjoy watching Trilo burn even without that trait because I found him that unpleasant to deal with.

Actually, burn the whole circus down. We'll get turnabout ashes to ashes from it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Oof just finished 1-5. Definitely the best case in AA1 but the sheer length of it got to be fatiguing. Doing it in Japanese didn't help either.

How does AA2/AA3 compare to AA1? I'll jump to them after taking a bit of a breather

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're good

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think AA1 is the best game in the series. Incredibly well plotted, every case is fun except for occasional and minor annoyances, and 1-4 and 1-5 are incredible cases.

That's not to disparage the other games, just to say that AA1 is so good. AA2's first two cases are mediocre, third is atrocious, and fourth is one of the undeniably best in the series. And AA3 is an all-around great game.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
In agreement with Fronz regarding AA1. It is, in my opinion, the best game in the series.

As for AA2, it's the weakest game in the series. It also has the worst prosecutor by far. I do think that 2-1 and 2-2 are ok. Not good or great, but acceptable. 2-4 is a solid candidate for best case of the entire series.

AA3 is quite good and will feel great as a palate cleanser after AA2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

2-3 has some decent moments, like the Judge telling Moe why he sucks. But yeah, definitely not a quality case.

I didn't like the second game's soundtrack either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Franziska is actually one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

Sure, she's not a good prosecutor, but once you divorce her from that role in 3 and Investigations, she starts to shine more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fran the worst prosecutor? Nah. I'm not a huge fan of her prosecuting, but she at least feels like a threat unlike Klavier "I Will Actively Help You Win" Gavin

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Klavier "Yuri Lowenthal" Gavin.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Achtungg, baybee.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

voltcatfish posted:

Fran the worst prosecutor? Nah. I'm not a huge fan of her prosecuting, but she at least feels like a threat unlike Klavier "I Will Actively Help You Win" Gavin

Yeah, definitely. To me, the prosecutors are obstacles first, characters second, and Klavier is not an obstacle. You only see his "I'm completely beaten" animation like, once (the one where he holds his shaking head).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Death Priest posted:

As for AA2, it's the weakest game in the series. It also has the worst prosecutor by far.

Godot and Klavier are well below Franziska.

Klavier just blows and never feels like a threat OR a friend. And Godot's entire style of prosecution is as follows:

Phoenix: I have proven the defendant wasn't in the room, had no motive, and never handled the weapon.
Judge: Hm yes, I guess I can now declare them not-
Godot: OBJECTION! I like coffee.
Judge: He's right, you must prove more bullshit now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurdiak posted:

Klavier just blows and never feels like a threat OR a friend. And Godot's entire style of prosecution is as follows:

Phoenix: I have proven the defendant wasn't in the room, had no motive, and never handled the weapon.

I don't feel that's true.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think you're all forgetting who ~DeBeste~ prosecutor is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lurdiak posted:

Lies come from hearts as black and bitter as a cup of my special blend #47, Trite!

edit: I have a rule, you know

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would love to travel to the parallel universe where all the PW games that came after were closer to AA1's general grounding to see how they played

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
People started talking about it here so I was watching on youtube 4-1 because I also really like that case and the best thing about that case is when you play it again knowing things about the last case. I remember the first time I played the game I felt it too but it really feels like the Zak they introduce in 4-1 is a completly diferent character they show in the last case, like he only choose Nick as his attorney because he won in a poker game because,if I remember right, to him it shows the person's true character or something but then 7 years later he tries to make it appear Nick cheated in a game so that he loses his job and reputation as a poker player . Like dude Nick is taking care of your daughter, all the money he is earning comes from poker and you try to take that way? What a dick.

And then when that doesn't work he hits his acomplice with a bottle.

It's like thay wanted people to think "wow good thing your dad is dead Trucy, he was a dick", it's kinda dumb.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yyyeah, his characterization was really inconsistent, to put it mildly.

I mean, really, what the gently caress did he actually have to gain by trying to screw Nick over again? And it's not like you can say it was a spur of the moment thing; he went to the trouble of plotting it all out with the dealer well in advance.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
AA3 is consistently good but its significantly more difficult than any of the other games. Like, even the tutorial case has some tricky parts to it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Can anyone recommend games like AA? I can think of Danganronpa

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
harvey birdman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Layton Bros. on iOS. If you like AA, also definitely check out Takumi's other game Ghost Trick on DS (and formerly iOS). It plays differently, but it's got the same sensibilities about it. Of course, there's also the Layton series, which is also not exactly like AA, but it's similar enough that the fanbases have significant overlap.

I also recommend the Cing adventure games on DS, Trace Memory/Another Code, and Hotel Dusk + Last Window. Last Window was only released in Japan and Europe, but the DS is region-free and it should be easy to import.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Plom Bar posted:

AA3 is consistently good but its significantly more difficult than any of the other games. Like, even the tutorial case has some tricky parts to it.

IMO that's one of its best qualities. I wish most games were as tricky as AA3. They don't need to be harsh, but I wish I had to think about stuff.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
hotel dusk is insanely good

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it also looks fantastic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The DS was a very good system for Japanese adventure games.

I forgot to mention 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. They lean way more on the visual novel side, but they're really good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
fair warning though they are very sci-fi and can get a titch longwinded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds about right.

• Locked thread