Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Space-Bird posted:

and yeah One Piece is, officially the largest serialized epic of all time made by one dude.

What did it overcome to gain the title? And when? I'm guessing it was another long running manga, but I'd have no idea what off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

tsob posted:

What did it overcome to gain the title? And when? I'm guessing it was another long running manga, but I'd have no idea what off the top of my head.

I'd like to know as well, but if I had to bet, I'd guess Kochikame.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

tsob posted:

My money is on Ippo or JoJo's being the former title holder.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

How could you be annoyed with the arc that introduces Dog Auron??

Also is Duke Dogstorm going to be the person to finally get a peg leg? Who's it going to be? Oda said that only the most legit badasses are going to get the peg leg and eyepatch, can he live up to the hype?

I think it was just the eyepatch he mentioned.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

that handsome gentleman! and yeah One Piece is, officially the largest serialized epic of all time made by one dude. it's already a war and peace almost.

sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the wild and crazy tertiary characters! heck that's half the fun of one piece.

Arslan Senki might have it beat since it's also ongoing too, albeit as a novelization.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

tsob posted:

“ONE PIECE” REPLACES “DRAGON BALL” IN GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yoruichi's bombastic body + sideboobs + bare back????

...be that as it may, there is more to life than Yoruichi's bombastic rear end, so I must continue to refuse.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Michael Luffy is my favourite character.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i bought pirate warriors 3 in the steam sale and when do i get the fun characters because i cba playing all the early stuff

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Story mode will limit your character choice and unlock to the main crew mostly. Clear Legend Log for the Admirals and Shichibukai and such.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Get the free DLC from Bandai's website to unlock a bunch of characters early and get a few alternate costumes too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jose posted:

i bought pirate warriors 3 in the steam sale and when do i get the fun characters because i cba playing all the early stuff

I'm not sure whether or not I want this. I really enjoy One Piece-anything, but it seems like they intentionally capped the graphics to PS3-level versus PS4-level for PC.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/140253

I have no idea why they would do this. Still, is it playable with only keyboard + mouse or do you need a game controller for it?

Also, LOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnVycEQH3Y

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 29, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This is specifically about how many copies have been printed though, which is pretty misleading.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

Michael Luffy is my favourite character.

I literally choked when I saw that, gently caress

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

Get the free DLC from Bandai's website to unlock a bunch of characters early and get a few alternate costumes too.

whats this now?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any bets on the first Yonkou getting defeated? Big Mam or Kaidou? I feel like it'll be in this order: Big Mam, Kaidou, Shanks, then finally Blackbeard before moving on to Raftel/One Piece and the ultimate conflict at Marineford v2.0/Mariejois.

I'm gonna be weird and actually say that I think that they will both be fought in the same arc (not necessarily the crews, but the big guys themselves). Don't know why, but that's the sort of feeling I have been getting lately. It would be pretty cool if we got to see Luffy fight multiple people at once, though!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe the Strawhats infiltrate Big Mam's territory, presumably to rescue Sanji, and Kaidou will attack just to kill the Strawhats.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ten bucks it comes down to a war between Kaido and Big Mom over who gets to kill the Straw Hats

EDIT: aw drat, beaten to it :(

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So when it seems grim Lola's vivre card pops out and the war tips the scale.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

AkumaHokoru posted:

whats this now?

https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcorner/get/slug/one-piece-pirate-warriors-3-fan-gift-pack-steam
or
https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcorner/get/slug/one-piece-pirate-warriors-3-fan-gift-pack-ps3-ps4-ps-vita

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Yeah as a Shonen Jump series I absolutely don't see Luffy actually having a beatdown brawl with a woman

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah as a Shonen Jump series I absolutely don't see Luffy actually having a beatdown brawl with a woman

The very first person he beat up in the series was a woman. It wasn't exactly love taps and harsh words either - he full on punched her around the place just as much as any other villain in the start of the series. So maybe it doesn't matter so much so long as they're ugly and/or demonstrably bad people.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

tsob posted:

The very first person he beat up in the series was a woman. It wasn't exactly love taps and harsh words either - he full on punched her around the place just as much as any other villain in the start of the series. So maybe it doesn't matter so much so long as they're ugly and/or demonstrably bad people.

SJ is very touchy about man-on-woman violence and Alvida was far more comedic than violent. You can see it with the Monet fight too where Tashigi and Monet were free to cut each other to shreds, but the second Zoro steps into the fray he does it nonviolently.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Luffy was also punching around and having a proper fight with Hancock's two sisters in the arena, but never had a fight with Hancock herself so I'm thinking that as long as they're monstrous or somewhat inhuman looking looking it's all okay in the same way that you can't show real guns firing in American cartoons but laser guns are fine, because kids can't actually get laser guns to shoot for themselves. Alvida qualifying by just being inordinately fat or something, I don't know. Or maybe it really does just come down to "Are they ugly? Knock yourself out". Which would be hosed up, but also not terribly surprising if true.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Thunderbro posted:

SJ is very touchy about man-on-woman violence and Alvida was far more comedic than violent. You can see it with the Monet fight too where Tashigi and Monet were free to cut each other to shreds, but the second Zoro steps into the fray he does it nonviolently.

Ah yes, the non violent method of slicing her in half with a bladed weapon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any bets on the first Yonkou getting defeated? Big Mam or Kaidou? I feel like it'll be in this order: Big Mam, Kaidou, Shanks, then finally Blackbeard before moving on to Raftel/One Piece and the ultimate conflict at Marineford v2.0/Mariejois.

blackbeard is definitely the last person they face

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Prison Warden posted:

Ah yes, the non violent method of slicing her in half with a bladed weapon.

Then the two three pages saying "he could have actually hurt me in fact I am completely unhurt and in pristine condition but he didnt and I was frozen and ky spirit was done in by his rugged and manly kill stare"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Big Mom can be punched because she is ugly See Alvida

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
In One Piece only Namis can hurt other Namis. If someone is a woman but not a Nami (like Alvida, Miss Merry Christmas, or Big Mom) they can be hurt by anybody.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Luffy punched Vivi straight in the face though.
And miss Valentine now that I think of it.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 29, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Acryllic painting of One Piece 809 cover, found on Reddit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mulderman posted:

Luffy punched Vivi straight in the face though.
And miss Valentine now that I think of it.

That was at least ten years ago, almost 15

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I mentioned this in the Anime thread, but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Gear Fourth animated by next week, judging by the end of episode preview.

Get hyped!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I mentioned this in the Anime thread, but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Gear Fourth animated by next week, judging by the end of episode preview.

Get hyped!

I've seen the anime, it's not much for hype.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm hyped up for 2 minutes of reaction shots even though Luffy and Doflamingo are the only ones on the scene.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'm hyped up for 2 minutes of reaction shots even though Luffy and Doflamingo are the only ones on the scene.

Hyped and delusionally optimistic. Truely the era of SMILEs.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
i can't wait for an entire episode of luffy failing to use red hawk against doflamingo for 20 minutes with the end right after the words "gear fourth"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I've seen the anime, it's not much for hype.

If anything after the timeskip is an indication, get ready for the fight when he activates Gear 4th to be extended as all hell in order to make it more "epic" by making it look like Donflamingos on even footing with him instead of being a savage beatdown similar to when Gear Second was debuted against Blueno and ruining the reveal as a result.

I have no absolutely no faith in Toei to do right by the show anymore and I just keep asking myself how did it end up this bad, because even though it had pacing issues and animation issues early on, the anime was always at least decent to good. Even the filler was decent. Now the show only has a few moments where I could ever consider it good and the rest is just terribly stretched out nonsense because Toei stopped giving a poo poo once One Piece got mega popular.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
remember the episode where luffy used red hawk, the attack that is a flaming tribute to his dead brother, like 3 times against Supreme Chump Hody Jones, the villain who got cut down in a single nameless slash by Zoro, to no effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thunderbro posted:

remember the episode where luffy used red hawk, the attack that is a flaming tribute to his dead brother, like 3 times against Supreme Chump Hody Jones, the villain who got cut down in a single nameless slash by Zoro, to no effect?

Let's not forget that said chump had a valid reason to hate humans after they almost kidnapped him and his friends to sell into slavery.

Or that the anime had Luffy run somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 ultra-marathons in order to make it to the walls of Marineford.