Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I bought my dad a 640 to replace his 520 and it's been said before but needs to be reiterated - drat it's a good phone, especially for $60. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Just got my 950xl and everything looks good so far.

Downloaded the awful. App and it looks and feels great to use. Only issue is the names of people is "awful poster" am I able to change that?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Snakes in a can posted:

Just got my 950xl and everything looks good so far.

Downloaded the awful. App and it looks and feels great to use. Only issue is the names of people is "awful poster" am I able to change that?

You've downloaded the wrong awful app. Awful is the old windows phone 8 app that is no longer maintained. Something Awful forums reader is the new app.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone else find the swipe text just shits its brains everywhere sometimes? Like it stops being able to recognise pretty much anything, including words like 'the' and 'if'.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
Anyone else having some calls randomly going to speakerphone just after answering, to get them back onto the normal speaker I have to toggle the speaker phone option.

This is on a 930 with the latest beta.

Is there a gestures option somewhere like 8.1 to set flip to silence for example?

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

You've downloaded the wrong awful app. Awful is the old windows phone 8 app that is no longer maintained. Something Awful forums reader is the new app.

oh :v:

So now i have set my phone up and whatnot, i keep getting this random notification sound while the phone is charging but with no notification every 60 seconds and the only way to turn it off is to mute the phone. Any ideas what that could be?

So it turns out i am an idiot, if you plug the wall charger usb end into the phone and not into the wall socket it notifies you that it is plugged in but not charging. :doh:

Snakes in a can fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 23, 2015

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Snakes in a can posted:

oh :v:

So now i have set my phone up and whatnot, i keep getting this random notification sound while the phone is charging but with no notification every 60 seconds and the only way to turn it off is to mute the phone. Any ideas what that could be?

So it turns out i am an idiot, if you plug the wall charger usb end into the phone and not into the wall socket it notifies you that it is plugged in but not charging. :doh:

is this some new fangled USB? I don't think I know how to plug the wall end into any phone ever.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Mr Funkface posted:

is this some new fangled USB? I don't think I know how to plug the wall end into any phone ever.

Maybe c to c connections have the same connector on both ends?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I took it to mean plugging in your phone, but not plugging in the charger. Aka, the phone knows the usb is connected, but that no power is flowing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yes, that is the reading I had as well remembered to plug in your phone but no actual wall socket involved.

In addition though, USB C is indeed reversible in both senses: both ends of the cable are the same, and the connector itself can be oriented either direction.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jewmanji posted:

For someone who is so opposed to the reality distortion field of Apple, you seem slavishly and ironically obedient to a phone that is embarrassingly bad.
If I buy a pair of charging plates and a 950 I'm still hundreds of dollars up on buying a 6S with a functional amount of storage.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

If I buy a pair of charging plates and a 950 I'm still hundreds of dollars up on buying a 6S with a functional amount of storage.

:drat:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I know 950's are all the rage in this here thread right now, but what can y'all tell me about the Lumia 735? I work as a Microsoft Expert for Best Buy and they sent 'em out to us for free. It's...almost useless to me because it's a Verizon device (I don't believe my AT&T sim will work?) but I may keep it as a media device. If I can get my SIM card working with it I may switch over if its decent enough, since my Nexus 5 has been pretty badly cracked for almost six months now.

I know almost nothing about the phone, but I've been thinking of jumping back into Windows Phone lately.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

I know 950's are all the rage in this here thread right now, but what can y'all tell me about the Lumia 735? I work as a Microsoft Expert for Best Buy and they sent 'em out to us for free. It's...almost useless to me because it's a Verizon device (I don't believe my AT&T sim will work?) but I may keep it as a media device. If I can get my SIM card working with it I may switch over if its decent enough, since my Nexus 5 has been pretty badly cracked for almost six months now.

I know almost nothing about the phone, but I've been thinking of jumping back into Windows Phone lately.

You can compare it to the 640, but has an OLED screen (wich I like more compared to IPS), better main and secondary camera and slightly smaller screen (4,7'' on the 735 vs the 640's 5'') and they share the same Snapdragon 400 and 1gb RAM. Is a quite decent device but was too expensive when it came out in my opinion.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

The windows hello works a treat for me, it's worked in almost pitch black darkness and with me wearing sunglasses which has me confused.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yeah, I'm honestly about the same: Windows Hello is much more effective than I expected it to be. Aside from the dumb "You plugged me in, so the screen turns on, and I'm looking for eyes that aren't there" lockouts, it feels about 75% effective, which is about the same success rate I see on my corporate iPhone's fingerprint reader.

My 950xl has, overall, been satisfactory, but not thrilling. There's a lot of little issues, but nothing that absolutely breaks the value proposition. If Microsoft could get its act together for six months (in a row), this poo poo could rival the iPhone for user interface. As it is, I'm just hoping the next Win10 update doesn't, like, delete and block Zune/Music/Groove.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

What good is a phone with functional storage if it's an absolute nightmare to use? The software as it stands is objectively and literally worse than WP7 in myriad ways.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly about the same: Windows Hello is much more effective than I expected it to be. Aside from the dumb "You plugged me in, so the screen turns on, and I'm looking for eyes that aren't there" lockouts, it feels about 75% effective, which is about the same success rate I see on my corporate iPhone's fingerprint reader.

My 950xl has, overall, been satisfactory, but not thrilling. There's a lot of little issues, but nothing that absolutely breaks the value proposition. If Microsoft could get its act together for six months (in a row), this poo poo could rival the iPhone for user interface. As it is, I'm just hoping the next Win10 update doesn't, like, delete and block Zune/Music/Groove.

This is pmuch spot on. Phone is good, but not god tier amazing. but what phone is nowadays? not much they can put in them now to blow my pants off. Apple are selling their living photos crap. why do i want that poo poo when i want a photo, the 950XL does it as well. its basically nowadays who has the best gimmicks/screen/battery life. performance is negligible.

Jewmanji posted:

What good is a phone with functional storage if it's an absolute nightmare to use? The software as it stands is objectively and literally worse than WP7 in myriad ways.

Whats bad to use about it? i've glanced the menus and stuff but i have not tried to put anything on my SD card yet. transferring music/vids to the phone has been a breeze for me.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I've just shattered the screen on my Lumia 1020 and am looking at the 640- would the 640 be any faster given it's a newer phone or would I be better off getting a 735?

Also does anyone know if new windows phones still come with free mix radio and here maps? I've found both very useful over the years.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 26, 2015

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I need to switch from AT&T to Verizon in the next year or so. I currently have a 1020 that I love (and am posting from), but it's from AT&T so I won't be able to keep it.

I'd like my next phone to be a windows 10 phone, but Verizon doesn't seem to offer any at the moment. I don't follow gadget news at all so I'm hoping someone here can answer some questions. Any indication they will pick up a 10 phone? If I bought an unlocked 950, would I be able to use that? Is 12-18 months enough time for the next 10 phone to come out that maybe they'll pick up?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Currently the 950 and 950xl do not support Verizon at all. They simply will not work. The SOC appears to have CDMA capabilities but Microsoft has chosen not to turn this on. Its possible but unlikely they may do so in a future firmware update but they've shown no indication towards this. As of now, the capable but aging 735 is the only windows phone available on Verizon but I certainly wouldn't get that a year from now.

The next flagship, the mythical panos phone, is expected to be released in late 2016 so may be out by the time you are upgrading.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you're willing to brave the malls today the Band 2 is $80 CAD off. I got a 950 and Band 2 post-tax for less than an iPhone 6S 64GB pre-tax.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Jesus did the OS really ship with Cortana's quiet hours broken? That was the best part of her on the phone. I crash when I try to set automatic hours or a ring-through list.

Other than that and some busted notifications for Outlook this is a big step up from 8.1 and I'm hoping Groove / etc doesn't make me eat my words.
Just the permissions and encryption are enough to justify the upgrade.

Everything I didn't like was fixed in an update this morning. Best mobile OS (possibly tied with BB10) and I'm posting this from an iPad mini.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 27, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
FYI the first-gen Nokia qi charging plates I used with my 920 still work with my 950. The angled one I haven't tested but the lie-flat one is quick and not too hot if you put the phone on the plate so the camera ring hangs off the top end. Not sure if I bought a higher-end model than the people who reported problems...?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Tried to buy a 950 today but the line at the MS Store was 25 minutes long so I said "gently caress that".

But now my dinged-up 925 just makes me more annoyed than ever. Camera/Cortana take SO LONG to launch :mad:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Shumagorath posted:

FYI the first-gen Nokia qi charging plates I used with my 920 still work with my 950. The angled one I haven't tested but the lie-flat one is quick and not too hot if you put the phone on the plate so the camera ring hangs off the top end. Not sure if I bought a higher-end model than the people who reported problems...?

I think it's the angled one that's the issue, more so with the 950xl from what it sounds like.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
There's a new app in the store called app in the air which is great for tracking flights- still no official boarding pass apps though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

There's a new app in the store called app in the air which is great for tracking flights- still no official boarding pass apps though.

Link? I fly a ton and a search for "air" of course brings up a bevy of junk...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ever since I factory resetted my 950, none of my photos have been syncing to OneDrive. Where am I supposed to go to check the setting for this? In the OneDrive app? The Pictures Hub? The OneDrive site? It always seems to happen so automatically that I've never had to figure out how to sync manually (and yes, my phone has been plugged in and on Wi-Fi, I haven't been able to sync anything for close to a month now).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I believe it's under OneDrive settings, but there's a link to the relevant page in the settings menu in Pictures as well.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I believe it's under OneDrive settings, but there's a link to the relevant page in the settings menu in Pictures as well.

This but sometimes you have to kill and re open the photos app for it to sync.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone know how you access the undo function on Windows 10?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Do any of you hip in the know people have any insight on whether or not MS and VZ will eventually kiss and make up? I am pretty much ready to jump off the google but not willing to dump VZ right now.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I gave my mom my 925 and we're running into an issue where if she is on speakerphone, the person on the other end (tested on an iPhone 5S, a 640, and a 950) can't hear her, but it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly. I'm positive I didn't have this issue when I owned the phone and the stuff online is all about not being able to hear the person on the other end. Any ideas?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I gave my mom my 925 and we're running into an issue where if she is on speakerphone, the person on the other end (tested on an iPhone 5S, a 640, and a 950) can't hear her, but it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly. I'm positive I didn't have this issue when I owned the phone and the stuff online is all about not being able to hear the person on the other end. Any ideas?

What do you mean it's fine if you're on speaker? Anyways, try taking video with the phone and seeing if it records audio properly. If your wide area microphone is not working you might get just one audio channel instead of stereo. That's what happened with my 1020, I presume the 925 works similarly. You'll need to playback the video on stereo speakers or headphones to tell.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That "it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly" should have had an and, not an or. :downs: It also works if we're both speaking regularly. Anyway, you're exactly right, when I played back a video with headphones, I couldn't hear through one earpiece. I don't suppose you managed to fix it? :v:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I think it's the angled one that's the issue, more so with the 950xl from what it sounds like.

And the car dock. It's maddening since the 1520 is slightly larger than the 950XL yet the 1520 will work with the car dock. That is aside from the side grips being able to press the camera button but that got fixed in a later revision.

For what it's worth, it may be possible to reposition the receiver coil on the phone so that they can work with the car dock and the angled stand. The coil is only held onto the inside of the case beneath a sticky pad and it is just the coil underneath connected directly to the two contact pads that connect to the phone. While it is possible to slowly pull the sticky pad and coil off, it's probably better to apply some heat to loosen the adhesive as some of the metallic sticky pad was still stuck to the case when I pulled it off without heat. Potential problems that one could one run into is trying to maintain the shape of the coil while repositioning it and how pliable the leads going from the coil to the contact pads are. Now that I have my Mozo case and extra USB-C cables and adapters, I'll experiment with the stock case to see how feasible repositioning the coil is.

Though it would be better if they worked in the first place.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

That "it's fine if we're on speaker or she's speaking regularly" should have had an and, not an or. :downs: It also works if we're both speaking regularly. Anyway, you're exactly right, when I played back a video with headphones, I couldn't hear through one earpiece. I don't suppose you managed to fix it? :v:

I had a shop fix it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FRINGE posted:

Do any of you hip in the know people have any insight on whether or not MS and VZ will eventually kiss and make up? I am pretty much ready to jump off the google but not willing to dump VZ right now.

Disclosure: I have no connection to any tech firm or carrier mentioned nor have insider information. I do not believe MS and VZ will have phones together in the next year. VZ as a CDMA carrier is used to dictating many things about the phone including having VZ navigator and requiring Voice over LTE. This is also the reason they have fought against Nexus devices on thier network. In their mind if it doesn't have a VZ logo and VZ preloads it shouldn't be allowed on the network. Also devices on CDMA carriers require some development effort from the OEM/MS to customize as it's not as simple as dropping in a sim.

I don't believe MS is willing to do the leg work currently (considering their current lack of support of Windows Phone), I don't think VZ wants to allow any more phones on the network they didn't get to cram (note able exceptions Nexus and iPhone) nor does VZ care as the user base for WP not already with ATT is tiny.

This might change with a rumored surface phone but personally I would not expect a WP on VZ in the next 18 months based on what I've seen.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Have I understood it correctly that Microsoft has finally actually silently managed to get into the vaunted "we push updates ourselves" situation with WP10? I hear the radio stuff is sandboxed off these days, but whether this actually translates into a freedom to update or not I haven't yet heard?