Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Crossposting from the Weirdest Fanart Thread:

Aiden's a dick in other universes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Correct. Defalt is meant to be a figure akin to Banksy- nobody knows who he is and his events are "spontaneous". The entire event with Defalt was a trick. It'll make sense eventually.

I am going to agree to disagree. Nothing else in this game makes sense.

Circle takes the square for the win.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I keep watching this LP because my brain can't believe how insanely bad the plot to this triple A game is.

It's like marginally better than a David Cage story by now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I saw the strategy guide for this game when I was shopping today.

You can't tell me this game needs a hardback book the size of The Deathly Hallows. There's no way that's a viable marketing plan.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I liked lumpy Aiden. At least he looked different.
Also I keep hearing Pawnee as Prawnee.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Samizdata posted:

I am going to agree to disagree. Nothing else in this game makes sense.

I mean, you're told directly that it's a dumb anonymous invite event via the phone messages and stuff Aiden hacks in the video. The rest of the explanation for it is spoilers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I mean, you're told directly that it's a dumb anonymous invite event via the phone messages and stuff Aiden hacks in the video. The rest of the explanation for it is spoilers.

That still doesn't mean it makes sense.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, the notorious hacker man "defalt" who hides his identity behind a mask just happens to be "DJ defalt", who also wears a top with "defalt" written on it and wears the same mask to big dance parties that he invites random people to by text message? And also drives around a car with screens in the back window constantly displaying images of his mask/logo? WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED IT WAS HIM OR TRACKED HIM DOWN?

Just like how whoever could have guessed that The Mysterious Vigilante, Aiden Pierce, was gasp! Aiden Pierce the whole time! Especially out of place was the moment when Nicky had her sudden realization that Aiden was The Vigilante, only a moment after the car's radio finished a news report on The Vigilante, Aiden Pierce. I know that it's been brought up plenty already, but jesus this game cannot stay consistent on if Aiden's identity is secret or no, and just how secret it is. Even the radio broadcasts don't make sense. How can he be mysterious and unknown with little information if his real name is literally common enough knowledge for the news to wave it around like it's no big deal? It'd be like if everyone know that Batman's name was Bruce Wayne and they just somehow didn't get that yes it was that Bruce Wayne.

Trashtalking the game aside, I have to admit I really liked the nightclub segment. The whole area really played up the cyberpunk vibe that the game should have had all along, with the weird QR code waiters and flashy decorations. I liked the interface screw with the hacked profiles to mock Aiden. And the whole trope of "Evil rival who has all of your own powers!" is pretty overdone so I'm glad that Defalt wasn't all just about being able to counter-hack you like during the car chase, but on the other hand he really doesn't have anything else to go for him. Another case of a potentially interesting character totally wasted.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ousire posted:

Just like how whoever could have guessed that The Mysterious Vigilante, Aiden Pierce, was gasp! Aiden Pierce the whole time! Especially out of place was the moment when Nicky had her sudden realization that Aiden was The Vigilante, only a moment after the car's radio finished a news report on The Vigilante, Aiden Pierce. I know that it's been brought up plenty already, but jesus this game cannot stay consistent on if Aiden's identity is secret or no, and just how secret it is. Even the radio broadcasts don't make sense. How can he be mysterious and unknown with little information if his real name is literally common enough knowledge for the news to wave it around like it's no big deal? It'd be like if everyone know that Batman's name was Bruce Wayne and they just somehow didn't get that yes it was that Bruce Wayne.

Trashtalking the game aside, I have to admit I really liked the nightclub segment. The whole area really played up the cyberpunk vibe that the game should have had all along, with the weird QR code waiters and flashy decorations. I liked the interface screw with the hacked profiles to mock Aiden. And the whole trope of "Evil rival who has all of your own powers!" is pretty overdone so I'm glad that Defalt wasn't all just about being able to counter-hack you like during the car chase, but on the other hand he really doesn't have anything else to go for him. Another case of a potentially interesting character totally wasted.

Of course, it couldn't be that Bruce Wayne, he's an emptyheaded billionaire playboy orphan. So, of course, it couldn't be that Aiden Pearce since he holds down a respons...Has better taste in clo...Is a calm and mellow...I got nothin'

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Of course, it couldn't be that Bruce Wayne, he's an emptyheaded billionaire playboy orphan. So, of course, it couldn't be that Aiden Pearce since he holds down a respons...Has better taste in clo...Is a calm and mellow...I got nothin'

The vigilante wears a scarf over his face. Aiden Pearce doesn't wear a scarf over his face. If the vigilante was Aiden Pearce, his face would get cold. Q.E.D.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The vigilante wears a scarf over his face. Aiden Pearce doesn't wear a scarf over his face. If the vigilante was Aiden Pearce, his face would get cold. Q.E.D.

Plus, that Bruce Wayne doesn't go around beating up people, and neither does Aid... Nope. Nothin' again.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Crabtree posted:

You think Joel Thomas Zimmerman could have any grounds for suing Ubisoft over default? I mean the fact that he hasn't because who gives a poo poo says how much no one cares about this game, but hypothetically speaking is there anything like image theft or copyright infringement by making such a blatantly similar mask that a lawsuit could have any legal teeth? Other than just sheer laziness on Ubi's side for making such a pointless character be the third time Aiden has to hack this loving sex data from.

Well, considering his conflict with Disney over trademark infringement, it'd be kinda hypocritical.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hippocrass posted:

Well, considering his conflict with Disney over trademark infringement, it'd be kinda hypocritical.

Oh that's right, how much money did Ubisoft have to pay to Disney for using any form of mouse ears on anything? Being a likely last minute addition to the game, I don't think default was in any trailer or advertisement for the game, but Disney lawyers are a tenacious bunch.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

spoilers on default's motivation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f7Gh-EABf0

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They should have had everyone at the party wearing Defalt masks.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That kind of over saturation would dilute the impact of Default's iconic mask available at the ubisoft store.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Please don't run with Defalt's mask. If you are holding a mask, make sure you are holding it away from you and pointing it down at the floor.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Chip Cheezum posted:

Please don't run with Defalt's mask. If you are holding a mask, make sure you are holding it away from you and pointing it down at the floor.

Your just tying to make sure its not your default when someone get's hurt.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The awkward as gently caress goodbye was really complemented by the absolutely revolting coder coat.

"Revolting Codercoat" is definitely my favorite MGS character.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pretty sure Defalt hacked everyone's incomes to the wrong amounts.
I quite enjoy how the little talk with Jordi went over everyone's head.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crabtree posted:

You think Joel Thomas Zimmerman could have any grounds for suing Ubisoft over default? I mean the fact that he hasn't because who gives a poo poo says how much no one cares about this game, but hypothetically speaking is there anything like image theft or copyright infringement by making such a blatantly similar mask that a lawsuit could have any legal teeth? Other than just sheer laziness on Ubi's side for making such a pointless character be the third time Aiden has to hack this loving sex data from.

unless he's copyrighted that look, no, and also that would be incredibly dumb anyway, stop talking stupid dude

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Trick Question posted:

'Revolting "Coder" Coat' is definitely my favorite MGS character.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Perhaps defalt lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did they redesign Aiden's face to give him a bigger jaw?

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Trick Question posted:

"Revolting Codercoat" is definitely my favorite MGS character.

Aww man, now I'm just imagining how fantastic this game would have been if Kojima had written and designed it...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This episode is better written than the entirety of the rest of the game and it's really jarring.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Remember how long it took for Ubisoft to put out a Wii U port? Big drama over that. Like 6 months behind the normal launch but complaints fizzled down the same time as Watch_Dogs sales

Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U is pretty good though

edit:

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 30, 2015

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Finally Aiden gets the fedora his character deserves. Why is tommy gun in quotes though?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MelvinBison posted:

Finally Aiden gets the fedora his character deserves. Why is tommy gun in quotes though?
Rights issue, maybe?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MelvinBison posted:

"Tommy Gun" is just a nickname.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

chitoryu12 posted:

"Tommy Gun" is just a nickname.

When you fire it, the screen goes black and you hear nothing but pinball sounds.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Probably either they couldn't get the rights to use Thompson Submachine gun from Auto-Ordnance, or it's just a skin over an existing weapon and doesn't actually act like a real Thompson (or both!)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

Probably either they couldn't get the rights to use Thompson Submachine gun from Auto-Ordnance, or it's just a skin over an existing weapon and doesn't actually act like a real Thompson (or both!)

I had it and it's a unique weapon, but still acts little like a real Thompson. I can actually say that because I have experience with a real, full auto M1A1!

The "Tommy Gun" is a very fast firing, low recoil SMG. The real Thompson is slower and snappier.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That mission at the end of the video was so,so annoying the first time i was playing through this game. Chip didn't talk about it or show it off very well but the cops aren't searching for you so much as trying to box you in the entire time and if you are seen at all you have to start it over and listen to that whole conversation over and over again.

I also love how Nikki talks about Aiden being the vigilante like it's a new thing to her. Which maybe it could be, she's been kidnapped for the past unspecified amount of time and probably wasn't allowed a TV. But then she says THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE that she was watching the news about Aiden's rampage of violence and destruction and questions if that was all him.

So i guess she missed the 2 separate newscasts in the main plot that specified Aiden was the Vigilante? Did she or did she not watch TV while being trapped an elementary school Waste Treatment Plant?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Right. I know tommy gun's a nickname, I've just never seen anyone put it in quotes. Now I know why. :v:
Somehow knockoff weapon brands doesn't seem that farfetched for this game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EricFate posted:

When you fire it, the screen goes black and you hear nothing but pinball sounds.

Urrgh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's kinda amazing how much better that mission is than....well, almost everything else. It's a unique environment where you're interacting with the bad guy, and then you get a really neat song as you chase him. Unfortunately, it couldn't help being Watch_Dogs and you get into a pointless gunfight with half a dozen armored enemies on the rooftop instead of a cool set piece chase.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The hacking horror setpiece was really cool but it was only like 3 minutes and Chip was wasting time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That mission at the end of the video was so,so annoying the first time i was playing through this game. Chip didn't talk about it or show it off very well but the cops aren't searching for you so much as trying to box you in the entire time and if you are seen at all you have to start it over and listen to that whole conversation over and over again.

From now until endgame the cops are going to spawn at SWAT or above nearly every mission. It becomes the most miserable thing to play and you basically want to just slam the objective ASAP or you're gonna get swarmed. It gets worse when they bug out and I hope that was a bug on my end and not something specific to the next(?) video's mission...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So Default really was Deadmaus?
No. Defalt was Deadmaufive. Also, as a stealth pun: His car could be considered - being an ugly garbo looking piece of poo poo that goes real fast - to be a rat rod.

• Locked thread