Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I liked the part where the house owner is arrested for spraying people with bear spray and also the racooons. :3:

So this guy has like 4 cameras around his house. Does he scrub through the footage every day? Can you even recognize anyone from footage like this? It seems completely useless to me (except for watching scary/funny absurd car drivers).

At the very end of the video you have a compilation of people peering into his garage then walking away. Some of them look like they bail because they see the camera, but I wonder if most leave simply because the lights turn on and there's nothing of value in the car.

Do these cameras actually reduce crime? They don't seem that useful after something has been stolen, unless you happen to have a super HD camera (which these aren't) and the guy is known to police. They don't seem like that big of a deterrent either. It seems to me that the bigger deterrent is good lighting, good doors, and no obvious valuables of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
holy loving poo poo are you seroiusly asking this loving question? is this what decades of weed legalization philosophy and mental masturbation hath wrought

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Here I assumed it was just set up to watch terrible drivers, like the 11Foot8 guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

I didn't watch long enough to see any of that other poo poo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

holy loving poo poo are you seroiusly asking this loving question? is this what decades of weed legalization philosophy and mental masturbation hath wrought
That goon is a bit special

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

I liked the part where the house owner is arrested for spraying people with bear spray and also the racooons. :3:

So this guy has like 4 cameras around his house. Does he scrub through the footage every day? Can you even recognize anyone from footage like this? It seems completely useless to me (except for watching scary/funny absurd car drivers).

At the very end of the video you have a compilation of people peering into his garage then walking away. Some of them look like they bail because they see the camera, but I wonder if most leave simply because the lights turn on and there's nothing of value in the car.

Do these cameras actually reduce crime? They don't seem that useful after something has been stolen, unless you happen to have a super HD camera (which these aren't) and the guy is known to police. They don't seem like that big of a deterrent either. It seems to me that the bigger deterrent is good lighting, good doors, and no obvious valuables of interest.

Since that was just highlights from a year, I think it is pretty obvious they don't reduce crime.

Does that guy live beside the Chilliwack methadone clinic or something?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cameras seem like obvious wastes of money to me, though there's clearly a huge industry pushing them for crime prevention.

It was a sanity check question.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

Cameras seem like obvious wastes of money to me, though there's clearly a huge industry pushing them for crime prevention.

Seems like the sort of thing you do when you get fed up with the crime, but you don't really think things through to the obvious conclusion. At least he installed cameras, so we can all laugh at yokels, instead of buying a shotgun and "dealing with it."

The pepper spray bit may be the escalation to that though.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ocrumsprug posted:

Since that was just highlights from a year, I think it is pretty obvious they don't reduce crime.

Chilliwack is a methadone clinic

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Femtosecond posted:

Police are searching for this suspect *blurry 12x15 pixel face shot*
Unless they can be used to clearly identify someone they're fairly not useful.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I have a friend in Strathcona that made a fake security camera out of paper mache.

It didn't stop her house from being broken into.

I'm sure making it was a fun art project though.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Femtosecond posted:

I have a friend in Strathcona that made a fake security camera out of paper mache.

It didn't stop her house from being broken into.

I'm sure making it was a fun art project though.

Nothing says "No guns on premises and nobody here will put up any resistance" like a papier mache security camera.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
maybe we should legalize home invasions as part of the program in harm reduction. From here on, everyone should curb their microagressions and leave their doors and windows unlocked.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Baronjutter posted:

Police are searching for this suspect *blurry 12x15 pixel face shot*
Unless they can be used to clearly identify someone they're fairly not useful.

I worked in a lab with a professionally installed commercial-grade system covering between 10 and 20 acres. You could read license plate numbers with it.

As long as the vehicle was parked for a period of time. If a vehicle rolled through the parking lot directly under a camera and stopped just long enough for two guys to jump out and steal their target vehicle you got nothing. This expensive system could not read moving plates.

Keeps the economy going, I guess.

Also, gently caress the Vancouver Island guy that just called the CBC noon show to rant about how these drug users dying of fentanyl ODs should just be buried alive or shoved in a furnace because tax payers can`t afford to fund programs for people whose only concern is getting high while ma tax dollars and user fees :freep: The arsehole is giving me flashbacks about the last election. At least Parksville-Qualicum doesn`t smell like cow poo poo. (Just old people.)

This is why political party databases are dangerous. If I knew what this guy did for a living I`d do everything I could to strangle his business.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

Over a kilometer away.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hexigrammus posted:

I worked in a lab with a professionally installed commercial-grade system covering between 10 and 20 acres. You could read license plate numbers with it.

As long as the vehicle was parked for a period of time. If a vehicle rolled through the parking lot directly under a camera and stopped just long enough for two guys to jump out and steal their target vehicle you got nothing. This expensive system could not read moving plates.

Also, gently caress the Vancouver Island guy that just called the CBC noon show to rant about how these drug users dying of fentanyl ODs should just be buried alive or shoved in a furnace because tax payers can`t afford to fund programs for people whose only concern is getting high while ma tax dollars and user fees :freep: The arsehole is giving me flashbacks about the last election. At least Parksville-Qualicum doesn`t smell like cow poo poo. (Just old people.)

This is why political party databases are dangerous. If I knew what this guy did for a living I`d do everything I could to strangle his business.

Hmmm on one hand you are dumb enough to want to waste resources to solve a self correcting problem and on the other hand you want to destroy a small business I'm not sure how to feel about this post right now.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Chilliwack's most redeeming feature is that it's not Abbotsford.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hexigrammus posted:

Sirius, spotify, apple music, etc. Why would you listen to talk radio when there are so many other options that don't involve idiot hosts and callers?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
gently caress you I like the CBC. Vinyl cafe is some funny stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

gently caress you I like the CBC. Vinyl cafe is some funny stuff.

I'm so sad Stuart had to cancel this year's Christmas tour. :(

But yeah, the Vinyl Cafe is a national treasure and there's a lot of stuff worth listening to on Radio 1 that isn't caller radio.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Professor Shark posted:

Conservatives are going to lose their loving poo poo if when they change the election process

I was going to say something like "Liberals got 39% of the popular vote and 100% of the power, Cons got 32% of the popular vote and 0% of the power. FPTP has delivered Liberal majorities across the drat country, surely they see that something must be broken?" but I held me tongue.

quote:

Hello Ikantski,

I apologize for interrupting your holidays, but someone’s trying to take advantage of you as you spend time with your family and loved ones.

You see, Justin Trudeau’s Liberals announced yesterday that you will NOT have a say in the process of electoral reform. That’s right: there will be no referendum.

We’re going to fight this tooth and nail -- but we need your help.

Will you donate to our Referendum Fund, to help us fight for your right to a democratic voice before the Liberals change the face of Canadian democracy forever?

Why would the Liberals sneakily reveal this important detail just two days after Christmas?

Well, it’s certainly not because they want you to pay attention.

No, this was a cynical move made by a government that knows they’re acting against the wishes of the Canadian people. They know they can’t win a referendum, so they’re going to unilaterally ram through the biggest change to Canadian democracy since our country was founded.

Worse, they’re only doing it because they know it will virtually guarantee them a never-ending Liberal government.

If you want your voice to be heard, help us fight for a referendum. Help us reach out to Canadians from coast to coast to coast as we mobilize and force this government to be accountable to the Canadian people.

Donate to our Referendum Fund, and let’s make sure our democracy isn’t changed forever just because Justin Trudeau said so.

Thank you,

Scott Reid
Critic, Democratic Institutions
Conservative Party of Canada

PS -- Trudeau might ask some university professors and a few bureaucrats what they think --- but he has already decided that YOU won’t get a say in the matter. That can’t stand. Help us force their hand with a donation to our Referendum Fund now.

You mother fuckers, you want me to donate so you can do your jobs. It's Dec 29th, we're not on holidays but thank you for rubbing it in. Also, gently caress you Liberals "FPTP is broken. We're not having a non-FPTP referendum because we were given a mandate. Under FPTP. It wasn't broken then."

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 30, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol I am loving these BAAAAA JT GONNA RIG ELEKSHUNS tears

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I'm looking forward to hearing about this from the same guy that told me that Alberta was carrying its weight around for the country while the rest of us were not.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Two guys I went to school with just became the Chiefs of Staff to two different ministers. drat. Hey bunny, how do I get in on this sweet gig?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

The Goon posted:

Two guys I went to school with just became the Chiefs of Staff to two different ministers. drat. Hey bunny, how do I get in on this sweet gig?

Step One: give up any concept of a life outside of an 80 hour work week.

Step Two: adopt a robotic/moronic Team First mentality that turns everything your team does into the divine mandate of an enlightened age, and everything your opponent does into a horrifying crime that makes them unfit to govern.

Step 3: Keep secrets you have no business knowing, that will eat you from the inside every day like a drip, drip, drip eating at your conscience.

Do that and you should be golden!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You forgot step 4. Descend into alcoholism

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite part of the Chilliwack video other than the raccoon couple and the deer couple was the kids doing the classic "put the car in neutral, get out and run around it to get back in before it hits anything" game.

Also did the pedestrian that got full on nailed at the beginning die? That was a loving hardcore hit.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

bunnyofdoom posted:

You forgot step 4. Descend into alcoholism

Alcoholism, trips to Pigale with coworkers (who you then accidentally hook up with), and late night shameful St. Hubert orders are to be expected.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

Alcoholism, trips to Pigale with coworkers (who you then accidentally hook up with), and late night shameful St. Hubert orders are to be expected.

Well poo poo, I am behind schedule the . Never been to pigale or hooked up with a political coworker

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well poo poo, I am behind schedule the . Never been to pigale or hooked up with a political coworker

I'm not one to tell somebody else how to live their lives, but it's right there across the river.

Go, my son.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I want St. Hubert to come west and crush the life out of Swiss Chalet and their lovely garbage chicken. Putt-putt-BANG-BANG, motherfuckers!

You know, I'm starting to realize that 99% of the things I miss about Montreal are either food or booze.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why are you even noticing lovely chains exist? Block them from your mind and view, unsee and unknow them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

I want St. Hubert to come west and crush the life out of Swiss Chalet and their lovely garbage chicken. Putt-putt-BANG-BANG, motherfuckers!

You know, I'm starting to realize that 99% of the things I miss about Montreal are either food or booze.

Does St. Hubert even exist any more? I haven't seen one in Ontario for at least five years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Why are you even noticing lovely chains exist? Block them from your mind and view, unsee and unknow them.

Because no one else delivers roast chicken when I'm drunk or high, duh. Why anyone would dine in at either of those chains is completely beyond me, though. Apparently it happens!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

get out of ottawa and also politics

what the hell man

e: when you go make sure you tell the rippers it's your first time and also your birthday. don't worry the stage is totally clean.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

PT6A posted:

Because no one else delivers roast chicken when I'm drunk or high, duh. Why anyone would dine in at either of those chains is completely beyond me, though. Apparently it happens!

Because myself and my partner are debt ridden loser students who still like to go to a 'sit down' restaurant once in a while.

But really I just no longer have a rotisserie cooker :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah Swiss Chalet roast chicken meal was like my go-to in university when I wanted to pretend I'd kinda cooked a home cooked meal but didn't actually want to cook anything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I have never been to a strip club. I have been going to Vegas yearly for 8 years.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have never been to a strip club. I have been going to Vegas yearly for 8 years.

Not even Barefax? Come on, man, even Canadian Senators have been there!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Vancouver is such a joke. Dispensaries don't even need a green card, they issue their own. How do they not get shut down instantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

heeheex2 posted:

Vancouver is such a joke. Dispensaries don't even need a green card, they issue their own. How do they not get shut down instantly?
No one gives a poo poo about pot enforcement. Waste of time and money.