Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just found out Lemmy was born near here, just a couple of miles away in Burslem. Going to get drunk in his honour later.

I was going to get drunk anyways, as I'd not had enough sleep and the kids have been hell, but y'know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

Just found out Lemmy was born near here, just a couple of miles away in Burslem. Going to get drunk in his honour later.

I was going to get drunk anyways, as I'd not had enough sleep and the kids have been hell, but y'know...

Jack and Coke, baby. None of that weaksauce borderline-teetotaller vodka with orange juice he switched to a couple of years ago, "for health reasons".

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
For mother gently caress's sake, we might as well have closed this week if we were going to let half of engineering and software take off till next year. There is no one in the office with the clearance to build Bills of Material. All week. So I've pretty much had to sit here with my thumb up my rear end all day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fo3 posted:

RIP Lemmy.
Sudden trauma incompatible with life is the best way to go, but something like a cancer that does you over in a few weeks while you're sedated isn't bad.
trying to live a long time is just the worst, like flakeloaf said in the healthcare thread:

One of the big things about getting to the 80's and not being a bed ridden burden is staying active, mentally and physcially. I did nursing home work and it was always the men and women who gave no fucks about "old" that were hale and hearty up until their last couple of days. The bed ridden ones usually gave up on being anything other than "old" before their 70's. Dont wait to die, LIVE. And that's how you are still doing crazy poo poo in the 80's - staying active also defends against stuff like dementia. Much of the reason that people deteriorate rapidly in retirement is they stop doing things - the mind and body actually doesn't like that at all. Oh and of course staying active does tip the balance to dropping off the branch without the horrible lingering.

That said, I can top flakeloaf depressingly too easily with what I saw in old age homes. Especially the Dementia ward. Sometimes the best of us can have horrid lingering ends and.... *shudder*. Horrific doesnt even begin to describe it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Cat B (Pippin) has pancreatitis :( He was throwing up most of yesterday, didn't eat at all today and was very lethargic. Girlfriend brought him in cuz she's on winter break and they ran blood work and all that and we're both stressed to the max cuz we can't afford pet bills since we just did the Christmas gifting thing. On the bright side, the last time we brought him in they made us put him on a diet (and rightly so [he was 21 pounds]) and he's lost 3 pounds in about as many months, so that's nice.

:(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I hike and ride bikes with a guy in his 70s. Last year he did a 50 mile mtb endurance race. Hoping to be able to do things like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

we might as well have closed this week if we were going to let half of engineering and software take off till next year.

Knowing this was going to be the case we did the sane thing and actually closed down. It's glorious.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SuperDucky posted:

I've pretty much had to sit here with my thumb up my rear end all day.

Don't act like you didn't enjoy it

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

blk posted:

Those of you with kids and significant others: do you both drive family haulers, or do some of you have one practical car and one with a reduced/no back seat?

A day late but that is how things go these days. We have two kids, 3 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old. She drives a '05 Mazda 6 and I have an E36 M3 coupe. Little one is still in rear facing car seat but is pretty much grown out now and will be replaced shortly. We have gotten along fine so far. Packing for a few days is a chore when carrying crap like strollers/pack&plays so my advice is don't get a fricking "travel system" because those strollers are MASSIVE. We have all fit in the BMW before out of necessity and the rear facing car seat was the only gripe because it required moving the front seat up quite a bit. With both kids in front facing seats it will be no big deal at all. We are looking to replace her car with a bigger family hauler in the next ~6 months since we are considering adding a 3rd to the brood. Personally I am sold on a Ford Flex Ecoboost, but she hates the styling which I am hoping she will get over once she drives one. Otherwise it will be a Honda Odyssey for us. All other SUVs are too drat expensive and the "cross-over/mid-size SUV" like the Honda Pilot are still too small to do anything other than fit two adults and a few small children. You can't fit anything else in them.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

jamal posted:

I hike and ride bikes with a guy in his 70s. Last year he did a 50 mile mtb endurance race. Hoping to be able to do things like that.

The guy who owns the boat I race on is in his 70s. About 5 years ago he was in an accident where his 350z was totaled so badly the paramedics thought he was dead until he said something. 2 years later and about 15 surgeries and he was back sailing, salty old bastard.

Adiabatic posted:

I did spend the day plotting how to blow the photography budget they've allotted me for next year...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

He would enjoy it more, were it your thumb. :v:

SomewhatHeroic: we love our odyssey. If you have questions, just let me know.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 30, 2015

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ice storm aftermath:

Bit more damage out of frame too. One of the trees is going to have to come down and a big branch is going to come down whenever it feels like. Fortunately only the fence suffered any damage and I'll just need some of the top tubes to fix it (assuming the big branch doesn't take it out before I can remove it.) That big upright Y branch was embedded 1.5-2 feet into the ground which was kinda nifty. Now to figure out how to get rid of the wood I'm not going to keep to burn when it dries out.

Power was out for about 10 hours but fortunately it was right around freezing so the house only got down to 55*F or so. Fridge/freezer just barely managed to keep the heat out long enough to not ruin any food. I ordered a generator (inverter style) so I don't have to deal with that again. Everywhere around here is going to sold out of any generator worth buying for a while I think.

Darchangel posted:

Pull the batteries and look at their model number - I bet that they can be had generically. The two APC SmartUPS that I have that need new batteries use a standard battery that can be had from just about anywhere. Even Batteries+ is cheaper than APC (and they should have an application on their website to look up what batteries your UPS uses, come to think of it.)
Cheapest I can find is $120/set for generic batteries or ~$300 for Duracells. For ~20 more I could get 35AH (currently has 18AH) Duracells which wouldn't fit inside the case but that's not really a problem. Either way I've spent enough money this month that this can wait a while longer. I still probably have 20 minutes of run time.

SuperDucky posted:

For mother gently caress's sake, we might as well have closed this week if we were going to let half of engineering and software take off till next year. There is no one in the office with the clearance to build Bills of Material. All week. So I've pretty much had to sit here with my thumb up my rear end all day.

My company basically shuts down from christmas eve to the first weekday after new years. Only christmas eve, christmas, and new years are actual company holidays so no guarantee of time off but it usually happens. It's pretty great for salaried employees but I think the hourly people have to take vacation if they want to get paid. Last day I worked was the 23rd and I don't go back until Jan 4th.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 30, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got home from the in-laws to find a soaking kitchen floor, and soaking theater furniture under it.

Not gonna foot that bill, called home insurance. So far $17k in damage estimate, and climbing by the minute.

Thanks previous owners and your loving half rear end dishwasher install.

On the plus side, get to leave -28 degree Grande Prairie and road trip down to Vancouver tomorrow in my new winter beater, Cadillac CTS4 with performance brakes/engine/suspension package and snow tires.

Luckily the PO sent the maintenance report before I did a trans fluid swap and filter. It was done 30,000km ago.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

scuz posted:

Cat B (Pippin) has pancreatitis :( He was throwing up most of yesterday, didn't eat at all today and was very lethargic. Girlfriend brought him in cuz she's on winter break and they ran blood work and all that and we're both stressed to the max cuz we can't afford pet bills since we just did the Christmas gifting thing. On the bright side, the last time we brought him in they made us put him on a diet (and rightly so [he was 21 pounds]) and he's lost 3 pounds in about as many months, so that's nice.

:(

That sucks. Ask the vet what options they have for payment plans and so forth. I have a Care Credit card that is only usable for stuff like that (dental, vision, veterinary) for just such an emergency.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got sucked into playing hearthstone, HotS, and FO3 for the last few weeks so hi hello happy Christmas everyone how is everything

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Jesus Christ. My test came back as diluted so I have to go take it again. So sick of all this poo poo. I came home from being away for 1 loving night and my roommates moved half of my poo poo from the living room and dining room into.the attic without loving asking. And now I seemed to piss off my GF by telling her I didn't wanna go with her to loving Taco Bell to the point of her crying and not loving saying anything to me. I am so loving fed up with everyone and everything. I am applying to a poo poo load of jobs out of state so I can just loving move away from everyone. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Buy quick fix imo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well that would suck balls. I drank about a gallon of water, a Monster and a Gatorade and pissed like 4 times before I took it so I hope I am all set.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Jesus Christ. My test came back as diluted so I have to go take it again.
Laughing isn't good enough for this poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Laughing isn't good enough for this poo poo.
Lmao drat

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Jesus Christ. My test came back as diluted so I have to go take it again. So sick of all this poo poo. I came home from being away for 1 loving night and my roommates moved half of my poo poo from the living room and dining room into.the attic without loving asking. And now I seemed to piss off my GF by telling her I didn't wanna go with her to loving Taco Bell to the point of her crying and not loving saying anything to me. I am so loving fed up with everyone and everything. I am applying to a poo poo load of jobs out of state so I can just loving move away from everyone. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Apply for some in Detroit, they're building all kinds of poo poo here

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus christ. Forget about your roommates and your girlfriend, they obviously don't give a poo poo about you.

Then find somebody you know that's clean that will piss for you and USE THEIR URINE TO TAKE YOUR NEXT loving TEST.

gently caress.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

leica posted:

Jesus christ. gently caress your roomates and your girlfriend, they obviously don't give a poo poo about you.

Then find somebody you know that's clean that will piss for you and USE THEIR URINE TO TAKE YOUR NEXT loving TEST.

gently caress.

Or you know, just dont smoke for like 3 weeks. Its not impossible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Preoptopus posted:

Or you know, just dont smoke for like 3 weeks. Its not impossible.

I do believe he's working on that.

I mean really in the grand scheme of things SAC this is probably for the best since more time has past.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's obviously not working for him. Only one sure way, and that's to use piss that you know for a fact is clean.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My guess is she is upset about something else. Sure is a lovely way to show it though. I'm glad you're trying to get out of your situation and better yourself. I think a new environment might do you some good.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I didnt mean for that to come off snotty at all as I partake quite heavily myself. Just saying ive done it and its worth it. Not to mention letting you take a rest to gain some perspective, and the added bonus of going to the loving moon off three hits when you start again.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The only person I could ask for clean piss is my mom, lol.

I feel like no matter what I do I will fail. It is just life making GBS threads on me after years of bad karma. I haven't toked since that 1 roach on TG and I hadn't even smoked for a couple weeks before that.

If I get synthetic urine the lab is gonna notice. If I try and use the drink again I will fail again. I have applied to over 10 jobs online a day for the past few weeks now and I am running out of options. I just want to curl up into a ball and cry. Ugh.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

It's obviously not working for him. Only one sure way, and that's to use piss that you know for a fact is clean.

You think he knows people who aren't just as bad lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I feel like no matter what I do I will fail. It is just life making GBS threads on me after years of bad karma. I haven't toked since that 1 roach on TG and I hadn't even smoked for a couple weeks before that.

If I get synthetic urine the lab is gonna notice. If I try and use the drink again I will fail again. I have applied to over 10 jobs online a day for the past few weeks now and I am running out of options. I just want to curl up into a ball and cry. Ugh.

I mean dude poo poo sucks but jesus christ you're going through a rough couple of weeks. I've been stuck in the same lovely job where its been made clear to me that I've got no room for promotion or growth in january. I've applied for 26 city jobs this year since Oil and Gas is in the shitter so that option is out the window and frankly I'd like a pension, I've not even got a call back on a single one of them. Even if I do the company I work for doesn't give out references and my manager outright refused when I asked for one two years ago. poo poo always turns round especially if you have a decent work ethic. Just keep plugging away dude.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 30, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

You think he knows people who aren't just as bad lol

In the past I've asked people I've casually known and offered to pay them for their troubles, one time my buddy's wife did it for me. It's hard to find someone when you're a pot head because most other people you hang out with are pot heads as well, but it can be done.

I don't smoke much anymore, but back in the 90's I was a huge pot head and everyone was testing so it was difficult. I tried every trick in the book (including quitting for weeks) and failed multiple times before I just started using clean piss from other people :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Last time I was tested, they tested the temp of the urine. Its not quite as easy to cheat anymore. :v:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Super Aggro Crag posted:

lmao actual loving advice in this thread was "take a multivitamin in advance of and while you're dosing water" and I do daresay you didn't do it.
e: and if not, you actively avoided advice to use piss that wasn't out of your digestive system, which, of your own volition, wasn't outside of your ability to obtain.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 30, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Last time I was tested, they tested the temp of the urine. Its not quite as easy to cheat anymore. :v:

Just keep it close to your body. And if it's cold outside and your really worried use a hand warmer with a layer or two in between it and the pee. I use a whizzer filled with clean pee and they never say anything about out the temp. But I'm also running at a high body temperature myself so that kinda helps my case

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do you have a cleanish driving record? Delivery jobs are everywhere, dont piss test (at least around here) and they will at least put SOME cash in your pocket while you can find a normal job. And then you can just peace out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Also, since he hasn't smoked since Thanksgiving, shouldn't he be pretty close to being safe just not doing anything and just peeing in the cup like a non-smoker at this point? Or does it take longer than 30 days to get those dumb traces out of the system?

I've always drank quite a bit prior to a piss test, just so I'd be sure to be able to fill the dumb bottle, and I never had a 'dilute' result. Maybe do Gatorade or something plus the multi-vitamin instead of just water?

Oh and yea, they have used a temp sensing strip on the cup every time in my memory, and the last one was almost 5 years ago now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Super Aggro Crag posted:

And now I seemed to piss off my GF by telling her I didn't wanna go with her to loving Taco Bell to the point of her crying and not loving saying anything to me. I am so loving fed up with everyone and everything. I am applying to a poo poo load of jobs out of state so I can just loving move away from everyone. Ughhhhhhhhhh.
On a more serious not just laughing at you note; clean up, get a solid job, put good effort into the job, put good people into your life... and your life will IMMENSELY improve. Get the gently caress away from the losers and the booze and drugs (yes, weed is a drug) and the bullshit self-pity, and get yourself to a good place. Its not easy. Its not fast. But its a hell of a lot better.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The Locator posted:

Also, since he hasn't smoked since Thanksgiving, shouldn't he be pretty close to being safe just not doing anything and just peeing in the cup like a non-smoker at this point? Or does it take longer than 30 days to get those dumb traces out of the system?

I've always drank quite a bit prior to a piss test, just so I'd be sure to be able to fill the dumb bottle, and I never had a 'dilute' result. Maybe do Gatorade or something plus the multi-vitamin instead of just water?

Oh and yea, they have used a temp sensing strip on the cup every time in my memory, and the last one was almost 5 years ago now.

Yeah but I used a cup test from CVS the day before the job test and it still popped hot. Probably taking longer since I am a fatty.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Wife took the kids to her parents for the evening leaving me with an unexpected night to myself. Trying to think of a movie worth watching but coming up empty on Netflix and Hulu. Trying the Bourne Supremacy but I'm not feeling it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wife took the kids to her parents for the evening leaving me with an unexpected night to myself. Trying to think of a movie worth watching but coming up empty on Netflix and Hulu. Trying the Bourne Supremacy but I'm not feeling it.

Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIhGTpKTwM

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Check this list out and see if anything catches your fancy:

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/leaving-netflix-january-2106/

Personally, I've been working my way through the Rocky movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Yesss! I have watched that before so I skipped to the last part so I could have a laugh.

mariooncrack posted:

Check this list out and see if anything catches your fancy:

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/leaving-netflix-january-2106/

Personally, I've been working my way through the Rocky movies.

The Bourne movie is probably my best bet. Might just rent something on iTunes.
Edit: remembered I have the Paul Newman documentary on Amazon to watch. Night has been redeemed!

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 30, 2015

• Locked thread