Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Upd: got gadget, it rules.

Also this rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9a2lPjzEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
GAS update: I wish the JX-3P had a real arpeggiator.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Do any of the new Roland boutiques have a supersaw? Been craving a JP-8000/8080 forever but prices keep going up and the supersaw is the only thing that I can't get elsewhere. Literally just looking to do cheesy trance riffs/pads... though anything extra would be cool. Otherwise theres the SH-201 and the SH-32 right? Anything else?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hm, well the JX can do a hard sync and unison which would get you something supersaw like I guess.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Really looking for The Real Thing at this point. poo poo, I thought I read something saying one did- would explain why I couldn't find it googling at least.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Do any of the new Roland boutiques have a supersaw? Been craving a JP-8000/8080 forever but prices keep going up and the supersaw is the only thing that I can't get elsewhere. Literally just looking to do cheesy trance riffs/pads... though anything extra would be cool. Otherwise theres the SH-201 and the SH-32 right? Anything else?

System 1 does a supersaw.

SH32 is a fun thing but all sample based. Don't know much about the SH-201 sorry. I didn't know that 8080's were that pricey?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

So I've been giving the software + controller some consideration. What is the consensus on the Komplete Kontrol series?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

0dB posted:

System 1 does a supersaw.

AH- it was probably that.

0dB posted:

I didn't know that 8080's were that pricey?

They're not SO bad but I still feel like they should be maybe $350 (and I'm mad I passed that up a few years ago). I'm pretty happy with the options I have for pretty much everything else it does so I'm not so eager to spend what it's actually worth...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Luna posted:

So I've been giving the software + controller some consideration. What is the consensus on the Komplete Kontrol series?

I like my 49-key version a whole lot but I'm not convinced it's worth the money unless you already use the NI software. A lot of the cooler features, like the browsing wheel and the different colored LEDs only really work with their stuff and a few other VSTs, like the Arturia synths.

If you're in the ecosystem already, the keybed is super nice and it seems to be built like a tank.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

They're not SO bad but I still feel like they should be maybe $350 (and I'm mad I passed that up a few years ago). I'm pretty happy with the options I have for pretty much everything else it does so I'm not so eager to spend what it's actually worth...

The 8080 is a nice chunky metal rack with full sized sliders that does pretty much all the Roland analog keyboards, so it's well worth it. Watch out for broken or bent volume knobs at the bottom left. The Boutiques have miserably tiny controls on them.

I was all excited to play with a Jupiter 8, and brought home a recording of it. Found that the 8080 could do just about all of the same noises - if you turn the treble up. Only reason to avoid one is if you're getting a V-Synth, as these have emulations of the 8080.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like my 49-key version a whole lot but I'm not convinced it's worth the money unless you already use the NI software. A lot of the cooler features, like the browsing wheel and the different colored LEDs only really work with their stuff and a few other VSTs, like the Arturia synths.

If you're in the ecosystem already, the keybed is super nice and it seems to be built like a tank.

It comes with the Komplete Select software package so that should be enough to get started.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I gotta stop buying synths and make a drat song or a jam or something. I bought a used Blofeld for $300 from Guitar Center. The bad news: The volume is low but still usable, indicating a possible blown resistor. On the good side, it came with License SL (60 MB of sample and wavetable space, yay) and an old firmware. Updating the firmware helped the volume some.

I really think this will pair well with one or both of the Tribes. Unlike the UltraNova, it's really multi-timbral, and each of the 16 timbres can listen on a programmable MIDI channel. The flexibility really helps given that the Tribe is pretty static. Of course, the polyphony limit is about the same for both and both have stuff that can eat voices so it's not like it will realistically replace every voice, just add some much better ones. Like with real envelopes and sustains that continue past pattern changes.

EDIT: I replaced the presets with stock ones and they are much louder.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 30, 2015

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

AxeBreaker posted:

I gotta stop buying synths and make a drat song or a jam or something. I bought a used Blofeld for $300 from Guitar Center. The bad news: The volume is low but still usable, indicating a possible blown resistor. On the good side, it came with License SL (60 MB of sample and wavetable space, yay) and an old firmware. Updating the firmware helped the volume some.

EDIT: I replaced the presets with stock ones and they are much louder.

The Blofeld is known for having low output though you can fix that by putting some drive into the filter section.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AxeBreaker posted:

I gotta stop buying synths and make a drat song or a jam or something.

What do you do with them now? Just look at them?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dunno. I've been filling mine with gold and other precious metals.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Fart around and make presets and sequences. Learn sound design the best I can. I've got some pretty full 4 bar sequences on the tribes that sound OK but that's not a song.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

AxeBreaker posted:

Fart around and make presets and sequences. Learn sound design the best I can. I've got some pretty full 4 bar sequences on the tribes that sound OK but that's not a song.

When I'm stuck and want to make a song I throw on a drumloop in ableton and start noodling around on one of my synths until I get a sequence of chord progression that I like.

Rinse and repeat a few times and you have yourself like 6 - bar loops that you can then spend countless hours expanding, mixing together, or (deleting).

Idk drum breaks/loops will always inspire me more than a click track.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

When I'm stuck and want to make a song I throw on a drumloop in ableton and start noodling around on one of my synths until I get a sequence of chord progression that I like.

Rinse and repeat a few times and you have yourself like 6 - bar loops that you can then spend countless hours expanding, mixing together, or (deleting).

Idk drum breaks/loops will always inspire me more than a click track.

I've finished more tracks, and been more happy with the results, ever since I put the computer in the loft and stopped staring at a screen. Idk if it'd work for everyone, or even if it's feasible for everyone here, but if you can... give it a try.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Had some fun yesterday playing with the sequencer reset input on my Mother 32:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YdtfP6PVY

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Scatterfold posted:

I've finished more tracks, and been more happy with the results, ever since I put the computer in the loft and stopped staring at a screen. Idk if it'd work for everyone, or even if it's feasible for everyone here, but if you can... give it a try.

I don't like being so reliant on a DAW either, I want to eventually move away from the computer but right now I don't have the money for a sequencer/MPC/Workstation/Rompler (etc etc).

When I'm done with college I'll put some money into a 'gear centered' recording setup.

Tayter Swift posted:

Had some fun yesterday playing with the sequencer reset input on my Mother 32:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YdtfP6PVY

I just ordered a mother 32 a few days ago and this made me really excited :)

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Had a guitar center gift card so I decided to jump the gun on a Korg SQ-1 to add to my Eurorack setup. Loving the thing. It feels like it's built well too which is surprising. I expected it to be similar to the Volcas build-wise.

Did a quick little jam with it and my OP-1. Gotta love synth sequences with copious amounts of delay and reverb :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2wRF6aFbA

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Word of advice: tape up the screws with electrical tape. They scratch the poo poo out of things when it's standing up.

I have a video w/ the SQ-1 earlier in the thread. I love using it with other sequencers.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was stuck at a bench staring at a spectrum analyzer while some testing was going on. I started to play with an IFR 1200s sitting next to me out of boredom. It turns out that it has a 16 step sequencer that you can use to sequence the tone generator.

Each step allowed you to specify pitch in Hz, on duration, off duration, and oscillator waveform. Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to loop the sequence.

I'm debating whether I'll dive into external sequencing using RS-232.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

I was stuck at a bench staring at a spectrum analyzer while some testing was going on. I started to play with an IFR 1200s sitting next to me out of boredom. It turns out that it has a 16 step sequencer that you can use to sequence the tone generator.

Each step allowed you to specify pitch in Hz, on duration, off duration, and oscillator waveform. Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to loop the sequence.

I'm debating whether I'll dive into external sequencing using RS-232.

Do it

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I just (finally?) bought a Monomachine. I've been saving up for a couple of years but thanks to our plummeting Canadian dollar I haven't been able to justify it. One popped up used and I jumped on it. A far, far cry from my EMX. There are some things I've discovered that disappoint or elate and I expect it'll be like that for a while but I don't find it as difficult to jump into as some have said. It's my first high-ish end purchase since I've tended to stick to the entry-level options (aforementioned EMX, rm1x).

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
The Monomachine is a fantastic box, you will definitely get frustrated with it and think it was a bad purchase because it doesn't seem to do that much but in reality it can do way more than you initially thought and you'll finally attain enlightenment when you realize it does some very special things almost no other synthesizer can.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

The Monomachine is a fantastic box, you will definitely get frustrated with it and think it was a bad purchase because it doesn't seem to do that much but in reality it can do way more than you initially thought and you'll finally attain enlightenment when you realize it does some very special things almost no other synthesizer can.

I'm not overly worried - I basically wanted a step sequencer that could make sounds like a Sega Genesis (FM8 and FMDrive are my two go-to tools) and in that regard it's wonderful. It's more just getting used to the workflow or Elektron way of doing things - some things I find kind of roundabout but I'm sure there's a shortcut I haven't figured out yet. I've managed to figure out all the basics myself so I'm going to dig through the manual soon.

But thank you for the vote of confidence :P

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

https://goatseq.firebaseapp.com/

A web sequencer to go with all the web midi synths popping up. No anuses involved I swear!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

surrender posted:

Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

3 octaves keyboard on the second analog polysince the 80s? maybe ill keep my polysix after alllol no ill sell it for modules[/crack

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Also leaked onto Reddit: The layout for the next Waldorf desktop synth. Looks to be a mellotron-style synth... with USER sample slots???

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Also leaked onto Reddit: The layout for the next Waldorf desktop synth. Looks to be a mellotron-style synth... with USER sample slots???

Oh snap I may actually have to buy a piece of synth hardware for once.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The J and the K are missing from the Variation list. J and K together makes shorthand for Just Kidding.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MrLonghair posted:

The J and the K are missing from the Variation list. J and K together makes shorthand for Just Kidding.
There was an earlier "leak" about this one as well. Sure, could be a hoax. (None of these leaks are real leaks these days, anyway.)

But I hope it's real. Waldorf is the only company whose hardware synths both consistently inspire me and deliver on their initial promise.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Banks J and K are in-app purchases.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
What's the easiest way to send two synths through a single delay pedal? I saw a Behringer Xenxy 802 on sale at a local store, and it seems to have fx sends that my 502 is lacking. Is my mixer the issue, or is there a simpler way I can do things?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'd probably say you want a mixer with fx sends, yeah. or you could just get a splitter cable, go really basic.

e: Also you guys should register on WeeklyBeats so you have social pressure to record.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I'd probably say you want a mixer with fx sends, yeah. or you could just get a splitter cable, go really basic.

e: Also you guys should register on WeeklyBeats so you have social pressure to record.

Thanks! I came up with a better solution though, ended up running my Volca Bass through my Electribe 2. I've also got the Bass hooked up via midi so I can sequence it as well as use the Tribe's effects.

Also, I came up with this jam the other week using a Microbrute, Electribe 2, and delay pedal. I used a mix of my own sequences on the brute combined with recording some of the Tribe's arp gates into the brute's sequencer for a cool effect. Now I'm working on integrating the Bass into the setup, and I think it should be a lot easier now that I can run some effects on it.

Edit: My only problem now is when I connect the Bass to the Tribe via MIDI (instead of Tribe-->MIDI-->Microbrute), I can no longer keep the Microbrute in sync properly. I've tried connecting gate out on the Tribe and Bass to the Brute's gate in, but when I do I get a nonstop blipping sound on the Microbrute (which goes away if I adjust the envelope) and it limits the things I can do. Also, when I switch the Brute into 'steps on' gate (via software) the blip issue disappears but I can no longer adjust the sequencer rate like I can when its hooked up via MIDI.

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 11, 2016

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
On little mixers behringer makes a tiny 4 channel that's great for a sidecar or portable rig. It's better built than the similar Ross ones I've used in the past and half the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Something about self-oscillation and sync makes the Odyssey's ring modulator significantly out of phase. Raising ring mod in the mixer reduces low harmonics, while introducing higher harmonics seemingly in proportion. Volume remains constant as the fader is swept, but the timbre changes.

Feedback plus slamming the VCA continues to own for rhythmic drones as harmonics are stepped via the LPF cutoff or oscillator detuning or vibrato. I get a real NIN vibe out of it, I'll have to track down which recording I'm thinking of.

Current verdict: 8/10, points deducted for remaining too faithful to the original.