Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
WB has DC, Fox has FF/X-Men, Disney has most of the remaining Marvel, Sony has Spider-Man, and Viacom/Paramount has TMNT.

Comcast/NBCUniversal doesn't seem to have many well-known comic book movie properties, do they, unless you maybe count some indies like Hellboy, Wanted, and Kick-rear end and whatever future (if any) they find they have with Hulk? I'm sort of trying to think how they could use that, though. After distributing Jem this year, though, they might be uneasy a bit about retro nostalgia stuff like that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Endless Mike posted:

This is in the works already.

Unless :thejoke:

If Sacasa is to be believed, the show they're working on is far from a tween sitcom, and hews closer to Veronica Mars or Twin Peaks. I'd say I was doubtful it would be good but in the last two years Archie's consistently proven that they can (very sloooowly) do things right when they want to.

Being someone who watches all the comic book shows, I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news, but it's being executive produced by Berlanti.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, I don't have anything better to do, so I guess I'll kick off the Sonic comic trip report now. Rather than ten at a time I think I'll be taking my SWEET time and doing this ish-by-ish. We can all appreciate it this way, no?

Sonic #1

Not a lot to say about this cover other than hey, here's some doofy art. Pretty sure the Swatbot in the corner is dancing rather than fighting, though.

...I LIKE this Robotnik. That plant there is actually Krudzu, a creeping mechanical vine with an excellent name. The good doctor intends to use it to overrun and destroy the forest where Sonic and co. are holed up.

I like this Sonic, too. Antoine, less so.

Way past less so.

:allears:

They take ol' Frenchy France back to their cave so Sonic friend Boomer the Walrus can help rip the vines off him.

Krudzu vine best character. Anyway, the whole plot ends up being a non-issue due to a passing thunderstorm. Whoops!

honk if you sonic

Our second story has Sonic going to a familiar locale where Robotnik is giving a speech.

Everything about this is great.

Anyway, the purpose of this speech? Unveiling some bullshit complicated device to overthrow the world, I guess.

...okay, I guess Orbinaut counts as bullshit. :stare:

Death by gigantic pinball machine, huh?

:toot:

After which Sonic blows up Renobotnik. I'm actually really enjoying this so far. It reminds me of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but, well...better!

Since the early issues seem to be lighter affairs, I might be packing a few issues into each post from now on, at least until we get to grittier stuff.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 29, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, I'm pretty sure like the first twenty issues at least are mostly light comedy. Maybe the first forty even? I remember the arc leading up to issue 50 being all ~serious business~.

The pinball machine is almost certainly a reference to a Sonic-themed pinball game that came out back then.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
These first few issues are written by Mike Gallagher, who is great, because he's treating the sonic concept with all the seriousness it deserves. It's when Ken Penders becomes a writer you have to start worrying.

Also, for those unaware, on the lead up to the World Collide crossover, 4chan's /co/ did a marathon read through of the entire comic, including specials, it was accurately charted in this image.

You may find yourself needing this in the future

And this

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is going to be fun.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Since the early issues seem to be lighter affairs, I might be packing a few issues into each post from now on, at least until we get to grittier stuff.

Yeah, it's all pretty light comedy affairs early on, which is fine, and then it becomes progressively more serious but still basically fine but then it becomes an incredibly mixed bag up until it starts being just thunderously lovely and that's about where I tapered off.

Part of my problem with this series is that I find Sonic to be basically the least likeable character in anything he's in and that's sort of an issue when he's the title character and all.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In other news, the Archie horror imprint is alive after all. Next issue of Sabrina comes out on May 18, while the next issue of Afterlife with Archie comes out June 1. It looks like Sacasa kept his promise that "the next delay wouldn't be this long" by having an even longer delay.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

In other news, the Archie horror imprint is alive after all. Next issue of Sabrina comes out on May 18, while the next issue of Afterlife with Archie comes out June 1. It looks like Sacasa kept his promise that "the next delay wouldn't be this long" by having an even longer delay.

...I don't even remember what happened in Sabrina last issue.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Onmi posted:

It's when Ken Penders becomes a writer you have to start worrying.

Speaking of whom:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/701659235784851456

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
lol "Well you didn't sign a contract guess I'm going to straight steal your goddamned work."

Ken Penders is now artistically below a 13-year-old on Deviantart because at least they know it's not cool to steal OCs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
AUGH I clicked on the link to his twitter page. NSFW that poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ken Penders is a magical, evil little creature

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

Did you accidentally see an echidna in a slingshot bikini?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There needs to be a Justice League of comic book creators that have gone completely insane. Steve Ditko, Dave Sim, Frank Miller, Ken Penders...who else would be there? I'm tempted to put Ennis on the shortlist- he's gonna crack any day now.

Say Nothing posted:

Did you accidentally see an echidna in a slingshot bikini?

I saw some art, which was bad enough, but I also saw Ken Penders. What is with comic books?!? Do publishers periodically expose randomly selected writers to massive doses of mercury and radiation?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Discendo Vox posted:

Wow, that is actually horrifying you weren't joking.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ken Penders is just an astoundingly sad human being. Imagine being a creepy Sonic uber-need as an adult, and then imagine that you burn considerable bridges to make your weird awful fanfic in a "professional" capacity. It's just depressing.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Gaz-L posted:

...I don't even remember what happened in Sabrina last issue.

I think Harvey was ritually butchered?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I, uh... I'm not sure what's going on here and I'd normally think this was dumb but I have no opinion on Rich Johnston's tastes and Archie and Sacasa have earned the benefit of the doubt with me. On the other hand... it's a Berlanti-produced comic book show on the CW.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Just picked up the new mark waid Archie on a whim, it's pretty good.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
After a delay, thanks to that failed Kickstarter, Kevin Keller returns in Life With Kevin, a digital-only series this July while the Betty & Veronica reboot from Adam Hughes returns to stores this June.

Dan Parent posted:

The new series explores Kevin's life after high school and college, as he enters the real world. And we can explore all the career and romantic challenges that he has an adult.

Adam Hughes posted:

It’s good to have a book where it’s just about them, where the boys are just background characters... I want my Betty & Veronica to be timely and relevant, but not dated in 10 years.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So are they just never going to put together another Mega Man collection or what? Redemption was released January of last year, I want the whole series and I've been waiting patiently for the next one for a very long time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zoe posted:

So are they just never going to put together another Mega Man collection or what? Redemption was released January of last year, I want the whole series and I've been waiting patiently for the next one for a very long time.

They still have the license but uh... most likely case is the collections weren't selling all that well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it's more a case that the graphic novels have been held up for several months and are only just now getting set back on straight.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The bad news: Chip is leaving Jughead after issue 8.

The good news: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/jughead-archie-comics-ryan-north-interview/

Jughead/Sabrina's friendship always been one of my favorite ideas that nobody ever followed through on beyond a single issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

The bad news: Chip is leaving Jughead after issue 8.

The good news: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/jughead-archie-comics-ryan-north-interview/

Jughead/Sabrina's friendship always been one of my favorite ideas that nobody ever followed through on beyond a single issue.

By issue 14 book will be renamed Sabrina (ft. Jughead). By #20 Jughead will be reduced to a tiny picture in the corner of the cover and a cameo inside.

I'm fine with this. Mostly because, honestly, I haven't been feeling Chip's Jughead. The fantasy sequences feel less like jokes unto themselves but Chip stretching a 2 issue story to 6 and relying on Family Guy reference humour to pad. Except instead of being aimed at 14 year olds, the gags are aimed at 6 year olds.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Posted manfully, and without remorse:

http://www.spoilersguide.com/riverdale/the-cw-first-look-trailer/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. I haven't been paying attention to the production at all, but I wasn't expecting that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've mentioned this in the other threads but I'm 50-50 on this. On one hand, Sacasa has done impeccable work on Afterlife With Archie, showing clearly that he can write a dark comic book that manages to stay true to the characters. On the other hand, it's another Berlanti production airing on the CW.

And since we're on the topic of Sacasa, this is probably the opportune time to mention that a new issue of Sabrina came out this week, and the next issue of Afterlife FINALLY arrives this Wednesday, close to a whole year after the last issue. Now that the show's been picked up by the CW, hopefully this means the comic will be back on a more regular schedule.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with the Archie Comics shipping schedules? I've been waiting months on a new issue of The Shield. The Black Hood and Hangman also have wacky schedules. I'm really digging the Dark Circle books but the shipping schedule is insane. The Shield is the best one though and we've had two issues since October. That's just not working.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They have no money, but the Kickstarter backfired on them so bad they had to use what little they did have to do the New Riverdale stuff and make sure it, being the flagship line, actually ships (helped by actually having talent that can turn in pages on time, unlike Sacasse).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Josie and the Pussycats by Marguerite Bennett and Audrey Mok announced.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/new-ongoing-josie-and-the-pussycats-series-announc/1100-155619/

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Have they changed Leroy Lodge's race? The recent digest I picked up had a crappy coloring.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Common problem in classic Archie. I've also seen white Chuck in the past.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Godspeed, Mr. Penders.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/760895911258009600

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can't you just use his brother Kneecaps?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Schwarzwald posted:

Godspeed, Mr. Penders.
Holy loving poo poo. How deluded can you get?

This after he made a whole thing about Eech'yyydnaiea being aliens not just Echnidna animals BECAUSE REASONS.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

"If I sue enough people, I can get control of whatever I want, right?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Worth mentioning that another former Sonic writer has decided to sue Archie and Sega over the rights to their old characters(probably at the behest of Penders), hopefully Archie can take care of this before Sega gets mad at them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning that another former Sonic writer has decided to sue Archie and Sega over the rights to their old characters(probably at the behest of Penders), hopefully Archie can take care of this before Sega gets mad at them again

As I've mentioned, this is a case of literally just someone looking for a pay day. Scott Fulop has done NOTHING since working at Archie, of which he was a writer for very few issues but an editor for many more. He only founded this company a month ago, and then purchased the rights to Mammoth Mogul etc. and now using that to sue Archie. A competent Lawyer would get this thrown out for the joke it is.

• Locked thread