Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Stupid airport lounge WiFi has SA Forums blocked. loving fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Have you tried switching the DNS servers (you can use Google's at 8.8.8.8)? That was enough to defeat the filtering in the BA lounge.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e.pilot posted:

lol my friend is stuck there now, said he saw an ATP Seminole shoot an approach to mins covered in ice and they were thinking about leaving soon taking off in to basically the same conditions.

You do you ATP.

Holy poo poo. If you did that at my pilot mill and got caught going into known icing, you'd likely face the wrath of the 5'7" former Finnish Air Force officer who was our first base manager. He was a good guy.

Things went downhill after he left. Not as pants-on-head as your apparent flight into known icing, but they let my CFII and I go up to do DME Arcs in an airplane in which the DME readout was known to be hosed (even by my instructor) and nobody took the time to fix or even write it up. This after I had to wait two hours because the first plane came back late and the fuelers were slow to top it off.

I don't want to know some of the things that happened after I left, realizing they were a joke. I DO know both 172s were down for a month and nobody could Instrument train because they had no permanent A&P to fix them. :downs:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Every flight school needs a gruff ex-military CFI. Eventually, you fly with them and learn that they only seem like massive assholes because they want you to stop loving up and making dumb, irresponsible mistakes.

I still remember finally getting to terms with "that instructor" in my PPL program. It was my second dual XC flight, and I hosed up more than one thing pretty badly. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get cleared for my solo XCs. We did the post-flight debrief, and he basically chewed my rear end out (rightly) over the things I'd hosed up. And then, at the end, he said: "well, you know what not to do now, so I think you'll be fine solo."

He was also my instructor for recovery from unusual attitudes by instruments, and oh boy could you tell that he was ex-military! I didn't know a C172 could do those things!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Finnish guy probably wouldn't have been aggressive, as he was a fairly mellow guy, but would've told you firmly to not even think of doing that poo poo again if that scenario happened in his house and you'd have listened. (I don't think anybody ever did anything stupid there, other than one CFI getting spooked by messing up a spin recovery by adding power.)

I've posted before about my Instrument check pilot, the ex-USAF Provider driver who went into the corporate world flying King Airs before becoming a check instructor, but I think his grumpiness was more GET OFFA MAH LAWN than anything else; his quasi-legal interpretations of select FARs were evidence of that (you'd be correct in his Oral, but probably nobody else's).

e- On that note, the Chair of the aviation department when I started there was ex-Air Force, and boy, was he a proud, complacent SOB who got humbled badly when the pilot mill he vehemently defended pulled out suddenly. It took everything I had in my exit interview to not rub salt in the wound that "I told you the maintenance was shoddy. You told me it wasn't, and their last base manager said "Yes-huh" in your meeting to tell us they'd hosed you."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 27, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PT6A posted:

Have you tried switching the DNS servers (you can use Google's at 8.8.8.8)? That was enough to defeat the filtering in the BA lounge.

I don't even know how to / care enough to do that on a tablet. Phone still works well enough.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Apparently somebody around DFW transmitted the Muslim Call to Prayer over GUARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD and caused everybody monitoring 121.5 to miss radio calls.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one that heard it, I couldn't stop laughing for a minute straight. Still beats all the stupid family guy soundbites that somebody kept looping on Christmas day.

KodiakRS posted:

The best part about working on Christmas? Getting to wear a Santa hat while in uniform knowing that the only people who care work in the chief pilots office and are all taking the day off.

Our FAs wore those hats, and after telling them we don't work for southwest they threatened to get me drunk and wear one while singing carols when we got to the hotel :gonk:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All the WestJet staff seemed to be wearing blue Santa hats when I saw them the other day. Air Canada employees not so much, as I suspect they are contractually forbidden from any display of pleasantness or whimsy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PT6A posted:

All the WestJet staff seemed to be wearing blue Santa hats when I saw them the other day. Air Canada employees not so much, as I suspect they are contractually forbidden from any display of pleasantness or whimsy.

They used their yearly allotment with PK subban.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm not sure what happened but the private VPN market imploded over the last three months, $10 will buy you two years VPN access. I recently bought a lifetime subscription from a reputable* VPN provider for $55.

*not headquartered in :ussr:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure what happened but the private VPN market imploded over the last three months, $10 will buy you two years VPN access. I recently bought a lifetime subscription from a reputable* VPN provider for $55.

*not headquartered in :ussr:

The use of botnets as VPN endpoints? I usually build a VPN tunnel back to my home when doing stuff on an open wifi that isn't already protected by SSL, but then I'm a networking geek.

Anyone play with Foreflight's logbook features? My subscription's lapsed while I wait to see where the PBR2 ends up vs me paying for medical tests out of pocket so I can't play with it myself atm. I have Log Ten Pro but haven't signed up for their annoying subscription plan.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Texas, land of all seasons?

Texas, land of all re-routes

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Any cool conspiracy type stuff to check out at the Denver airport? I'm going to be stuck here for the next... many hours. It seems like a very nice place.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Any cool conspiracy type stuff to check out at the Denver airport? I'm going to be stuck here for the next... many hours. It seems like a very nice place.

Seems like many of the conspiracies are outside of the security area. The mural on the way to the baggage claim being one of the best ones.

http://thechive.com/2012/03/08/something-is-rotten-in-the-denver-airport-25-photos/

Also: When you take off again, you can see the runways make a swastika! Turns out it's an efficient runway layout.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

0toShifty posted:

Also: When you take off again, you can see the runways make a swastika! Turns out it's an efficient runway layout.

The best thing they have going for them, is that if they're running a north or south flow they have 4 parallel runways to use, which is super nice.

I wonder if the winds ever force them onto a 2 runway east/west only flow, I bet that slows them down a bit.

Also heard that the airport owns a shitload more land around the area so they can expand if they want to, which is a luxury not enjoyed by many large airports in the U.S.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

The best thing they have going for them, is that if they're running a north or south flow they have 4 parallel runways to use, which is super nice.

I wonder if the winds ever force them onto a 2 runway east/west only flow, I bet that slows them down a bit.

Also heard that the airport owns a shitload more land around the area so they can expand if they want to, which is a luxury not enjoyed by many large airports in the U.S.

Yeah the master plan of the airport almost doubles the amount of runways they have now.

The wind is predominantly north/south here, and even when it is a direct crosswind it's usually not strong enough to prevent the use of the north/south runways.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Man, I glimpsed the crazy nazi death trooper mural while riding the escalator down after I went through security. I missed it while wandering around the terminal at 3am looking at the art installations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
How's the giant construction project at the entrance to the terminal in den going? The last time I was there it looked like something vault-tech would build.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

The Ferret King posted:

Looks like the current plan is to have EIGHT north/south runways and FOUR east/west runways. The next runway scheduled to be built is another east/west runway

There's also room for multiple terminals. Concourse D and E are planned. Existing concourses A and C can be expanded longer too.

Check out the plan:
http://www.flydenver.com/sites/default/files/masterplan/layoutPlan.pdf

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

0toShifty posted:

Looks like the current plan is to have EIGHT north/south runways and FOUR east/west runways. The next runway scheduled to be built is another east/west runway

There's also room for multiple terminals. Concourse D and E are planned. Existing concourses A and C can be expanded longer too.

Check out the plan:
http://www.flydenver.com/sites/default/files/masterplan/layoutPlan.pdf

Good lord, and at that point they expect to be handling 150 million passengers a year too, I imagine...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So are they planning for California to fall into the Pacific and having to take over for LAX and SFO? :stare:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So at what point of adding parallel runways do they begin to wonder about incursion? I've been to airports with 3-4 parallels and it isn't a pain, but 8?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

So at what point of adding parallel runways do they begin to wonder about incursion? I've been to airports with 3-4 parallels and it isn't a pain, but 8?

Incursion? Like, people getting on to the runway who shouldn't be there?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

So are they planning for California to fall into the Pacific and having to take over for LAX and SFO? :stare:

I think at this point they're trying to take some of the hub and spoke traffic off of... Chicago? DFW has 7, planning on 8 runways (5 of them run N-S, this would be #6), but their master plan says that they're not expecting to need to build it until 2055.

Also, here's a cool master plan drawing showing 13 terminals. Right now you can sort of see where they're still marked out on google maps, right now they're being used as long term storage. Also two (four?) massive air cargo terminals. I can see amazon building an air cargo terminal at DFW someday.

click to embiggen

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
How can they possibly justify all that for Denver?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

I think at this point they're trying to take some of the hub and spoke traffic off of... Chicago? DFW has 7, planning on 8 runways (5 of them run N-S, this would be #6), but their master plan says that they're not expecting to need to build it until 2055.

Also, here's a cool master plan drawing showing 13 terminals. Right now you can sort of see where they're still marked out on google maps, right now they're being used as long term storage. Also two (four?) massive air cargo terminals. I can see amazon building an air cargo terminal at DFW someday.

click to embiggen

I'm not sure whether to be surprised or relieved that SWA gets their own airport socked away in the SE corner so they may continue driving off runways and taxiways without loving all the rest of the less irresponsible airlines. It's like having a kids table for holiday family gatherings so they stop bothering all the grownups.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

Incursion? Like, people getting on to the runway who shouldn't be there?

Yeah poor choice of words, I just mean runway confusion in general, both on ground and in air.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure whether to be surprised or relieved that SWA gets their own airport socked away in the SE corner so they may continue driving off runways and taxiways without loving all the rest of the less irresponsible airlines. It's like having a kids table for holiday family gatherings so they stop bothering all the grownups.

SWA already flies out of Love Field, which is to the east a bit.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

Yeah poor choice of words, I just mean runway confusion in general, both on ground and in air.

I was going to say that it works well enough most of the time, but then this popped up on my news feed:

Plane Lands on Taxiway at Sea-Tac

They have a nice simulation to demo the problem, even!

Boston Logan Intl has a different approach to the issue:

Though, it doesn't work if the airplane lines up for the OTHER taxiway.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZQ03NfLxBo
(simulation replay begins at 1:50 if you don't want to see the presentation entirely)

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 30, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

How can they possibly justify all that for Denver?

I'm also confused as to why they'd try to make a large hub out of an airport with terrible weather for half the year. I always, always try to arrange connections through IAH or DFW instead of ORD for exactly this reason during the winter (and I even prefer connecting through the US to a third country rather than dicing with lovely weather in YYZ during the winter).

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

PT6A posted:

I'm also confused as to why they'd try to make a large hub out of an airport with terrible weather for half the year.

I don't live in Denver, but I believe they actually get milder winters there than you think. Last time I was skiing there in February and when we came back out of the mountains (very snowy conditions there) for our flight out and it was like 70 and sunny and I asked a guy what was the deal with the warm weather and he shrugged and was like "this is what its always like, we are cheaters when it comes to winters"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah weather on the front range is pretty chill.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Apparently a 777 got diverted to my local airport today after severe turbulence injured anywhere between 8 and 20 people. Presumably because nothing's going on, media has been all over it, and it seems like all the passengers have de-planed and cleared customs in Calgary and are presumably staying here for a while. If the plane wasn't damaged in the turbulence, why wouldn't it just continue on to its original destination (YYZ in this case) once the injured passengers had been taken off? Is there some sort of legal reason? I can't imagine finding accommodation and booking new flights for 300 passengers will be cheap, and I can't imagine the passengers who were doing as they were supposed to by obeying the seatbelt light (which was on at the time of the incident) want to have their travel plans disrupted any further.

EDIT: Never mind, I've seen pictures and it looks like the oxygen masks deployed and the cabin looks like a horrendous mess. I failed to consider that the interior could be pretty hosed up even if the plane is still mechanically sound.

EDIT 2: A tiny part of me wants to see passengers get injured for failing to obey crewmember instructions, though... does that make me a bad person?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 31, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, it does

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It probably needs some structural inspections before being allowed to fly again, if the turbulence was severe enough.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hadlock posted:

click to embiggen

What the hell is that one E-W taxiway at the extreme southern end of the airport just north of Greater Southwest Airport? Is it a GA runway with a taxiway or what?

Also, the STOLPort with no taxiways. Reminds me of the stories of Disney's STOLPort.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

Apparently a 777 got diverted to my local airport today after severe turbulence injured anywhere between 8 and 20 people. Presumably because nothing's going on, media has been all over it, and it seems like all the passengers have de-planed and cleared customs in Calgary and are presumably staying here for a while. If the plane wasn't damaged in the turbulence, why wouldn't it just continue on to its original destination (YYZ in this case) once the injured passengers had been taken off? Is there some sort of legal reason? I can't imagine finding accommodation and booking new flights for 300 passengers will be cheap, and I can't imagine the passengers who were doing as they were supposed to by obeying the seatbelt light (which was on at the time of the incident) want to have their travel plans disrupted any further.

EDIT: Never mind, I've seen pictures and it looks like the oxygen masks deployed and the cabin looks like a horrendous mess. I failed to consider that the interior could be pretty hosed up even if the plane is still mechanically sound.

EDIT 2: A tiny part of me wants to see passengers get injured for failing to obey crewmember instructions, though... does that make me a bad person?

Are you autistic?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Are you autistic?

Not as far as I know, no. I've just seen too many people disobey seatbelt signs and it upsets me because it's inconsiderate and puts everyone in danger. Also, when I'm on a plane as a passenger, I just want to get to where I'm going. If it's safe, I'd rather fly in a wrecked-rear end cabin and sleep in my own bed ASAP.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Every time I go to Asia or the Middle East, I have to suppress the urge to yell at all the people jumping out of their seats before we even clear the runway. Drives you nuts. Like, hello, we're trying to have a technological civilization here, that means you have to follow certain rules so you don't get dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

Besides the plane (and it's still a good landing if everyone walked away - even if engineers are needed) on long range flights anything like that and 90% of the time you instantly hit the out of hours scenario by the time you're ready to go again NB medical diversions of the 40 minute in and out are normally doable - anything with maintenance - forget it.

• Locked thread