Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speaking of upcoming waves for Armada, have there even been any hints as to what they're going to release?

I think I'd like to see them do something similar to what they did with the Most Wanted Expansion

Have some new ship cards to retrofit wave 1 ships we already own like the CR90 and Gladiator into a new Scum faction

Introduce some EU/Clone Wars era ships that have been repurposed for mercenary/pirate/syndicate forces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Scum Victorys. The majority of the Victory fleet, 580 something ships was sold off to private armies and traders to make room for the ISDs. Plus, my beater clone wars paint scheme would make sense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kilo147 posted:

Scum Victorys. The majority of the Victory fleet, 580 something ships was sold off to private armies and traders to make room for the ISDs. Plus, my beater clone wars paint scheme would make sense.

Scum Venators and Acclamators imo, EU has bunches of them being abandoned in space at the end of the Clone Wars, before being salvaged for use by private groups. I know they appeared briefly in ROTS, and FFG avoids that stuff, but they also heavily featured on TCW, and FFG hasn't been shy about going to both TV series for content.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

NTRabbit posted:

Scum Venators and Acclamators imo, EU has bunches of them being abandoned in space at the end of the Clone Wars, before being salvaged for use by private groups. I know they appeared briefly in ROTS, and FFG avoids that stuff, but they also heavily featured on TCW, and FFG hasn't been shy about going to both TV series for content.

Scum or repurposed Rebel Lucrehulks would be pretty nifty too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drone posted:

Scum or repurposed Rebel Lucrehulks would be pretty nifty too.

They'd basically need to be the faction huge ship, because they were huge, and they'd still have to be downscaled. Would be neat though.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 30, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I know they are sticking to around the movie era, but I'd love to see TOR ships, especially the Harrower class.

For closer to the movie timeline just the old Dreadnought because for some reason it's my favorite ship.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I love Imperial stuff, don't get me wrong, but after a certain point, once you've seen one type of space wedge you've kinda seen them all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Drone posted:

I love Imperial stuff, don't get me wrong, but after a certain point, once you've seen one type of space wedge you've kinda seen them all.

I suppose that is true, although I love the little Raider, like probably both faction need some of the opposite, so Imps need some more smaller ships, while Rebels need some more space whales. At least that's what it looks to me just getting into the game. Not nearly enough big stompy poo poo on the Rebel side, so Imps all the way for me.
(Which is why JJ is a hack for not showing any new big Republic ships. :argh:)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 30, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Drone posted:

Yeah, bring on the Dreadnoughts, Carrack, Lancers, Strike Cruisers and the other goofily phallic designs from WEG and I'd be happy.

Eimi posted:

I suppose that is true, although I love the little Raider, like probably both faction need some of the opposite, so Imps need some more smaller ships, while Rebels need some more space whales. At least that's what it looks to me just getting into the game. Not nearly enough big stompy poo poo on the Rebel side, so Imps all the way for me.
(Which is why JJ is a hack for not showing any new big Republic ships. :argh:)
I'd like to see assault frigate mark Is, Bulk cruisers and the winged mon cal cruiser for future waves

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 30, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Nebulon-B is the coolest looking ship in the Rebel fleet, hands down. It'd be the coolest in the Imperial fleet too if it weren't beaten by the ISD itself.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Is the Imperial Fighter Squadron pack worth picking up for a brand new Imperial player? (Will he get good use out of it?)

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

Is the Imperial Fighter Squadron pack worth picking up for a brand new Imperial player? (Will he get good use out of it?)

I always put a couple fast moving Interceptors in my lists (A Wings, Tie Advanced) as a buffer against the occasional Bombers, so yeah, I recommend having the option even if just for some insurance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bombers have by far the most cost-effective bomber keyword squadron out there and they have by far the best elite pilot out there, Rhymer. Rhymer more than doubles the range of any ships he's nearby in terms of barrage dice and he's the mainstay of any bomber list.

With Intel out there I would be very careful of just putting one or two advanced/awings out there because you are just gonna lose them for little gain due to the way that Intel works (ie they can't be used to simply tie down blobs anymore)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So as the cool stuff inc sale is basically on it's last day, I'm looking to get in on it and get I suppose just around 100$ of stuff. Sadly they are out of fighters, so what I can get right now is 1 Glad, 1 Victory, 2 Raiders, and 1 ISD. I guess I'm getting one duplicate anyway and I figured 2 raiders would be useful given that I'd only have the starter set's TIEs. Is this a horrible collection to spend 100$ on?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That and the core set will give you quite a few options. Currently my fleet is 2 raiders, 3 glads, 2 victories and an impstar she ups you should be good. Get some rogues if you can as well.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Eimi posted:

So as the cool stuff inc sale is basically on it's last day, I'm looking to get in on it and get I suppose just around 100$ of stuff. Sadly they are out of fighters, so what I can get right now is 1 Glad, 1 Victory, 2 Raiders, and 1 ISD. I guess I'm getting one duplicate anyway and I figured 2 raiders would be useful given that I'd only have the starter set's TIEs. Is this a horrible collection to spend 100$ on?

Grab one of those 9 remaining extra dice packs.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I bought an MC30c, Imp Raider and R&V last night from bookdepository.com (free shipping to Australia, amazon prices (owned by amazon))

So now I have all together:
Core set
Assault MkII
Gladiator
Both factions squadrons
R&V
MC30c
Imperial Raider
(Extra dice & maneuver tool)

I was going to get the two bigships but they don't have the ISD for sale yet. I'll get them both together some other time.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Has anybody found some 3rd party fighter pegs/stands? I'm looking at getting some of the cool Shapeways fighters, mainly for RPG use and painting fun.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

Has anybody found some 3rd party fighter pegs/stands? I'm looking at getting some of the cool Shapeways fighters, mainly for RPG use and painting fun.

This would be great timing because I seem to have lost three of the small ship pegs. Although I've heard if I call up FFG they'll send you new ones? Anyone have any experience with this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Prefect Six posted:

This would be great timing because I seem to have lost three of the small ship pegs. Although I've heard if I call up FFG they'll send you new ones? Anyone have any experience with this?

Not sure if they will any more, now that they sell spare pegs and bases.

I getaround the problem by having bought so many ships that I have way more pegs and bases than I will ever need!

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Do they sell spare pegs and bases for Armada stuff too or just X-Wing?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Just X-Wing, otherwise I'd order from them.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah, I was talking about Armada small ship pegs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Prefect Six posted:

Yeah, I was talking about Armada small ship pegs.

Whoops. I lost track of which of my Star Wars threads I was posting in!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A bunch of people have gone and made a community mod/expansion for Armada. Pretty cool that people are willing to do that.
Shipyards Set 1: Heir to the Empire. Based on the Thrawn trilogy. All new cards, a few new ships (which you could then print yourself or use stand-ins)
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195593-shipyards-set-1-heir-to-the-empire/
http://armadashipyards.com/set-1/

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I ordered up a set from their printshop, the work looks really nice! Unfortunately if you want models to go with all your new cards it looks like you'll be shelling out $250+ for FUD models at least. And thats without pegs or bases &c too

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

drunkill posted:

A bunch of people have gone and made a community mod/expansion for Armada. Pretty cool that people are willing to do that.
Shipyards Set 1: Heir to the Empire. Based on the Thrawn trilogy. All new cards, a few new ships (which you could then print yourself or use stand-ins)
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195593-shipyards-set-1-heir-to-the-empire/
http://armadashipyards.com/set-1/

Nice Interdictor art. So, here's my question about the interdictor... (spoilers for movie and Star Wars Rebels)

They made the Interdictor canon with Star Wars Rebels, but Ep. VII showed the Falcon leaving hyperspace right above the planet in order to do a stealth insertion. So, what does that say about the efficacy of Interdictors? Seems like JJ pretty much unintentionally nullified Interdictors. I'm planning to run a Star Wars RPG in a few months, and the Interdictor was always my favorite tool for surprising and freaking out players. Now, I have to be ready for the inevitable "BUT IN EPISODE 7 HAN SOLO DID A THING". I mean, it's not totally unmanageable or anything, but curious if I'm the only one that read the situation this way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, as for Han solo loving things up, a few possible explainations:

Starkiller was a small planet, only about four/five times? the size of the deathstar, and possibly pretty low gravity. Plus and/or Han disabled the "emergency stop" feature in the falcon that normally stops the ship when it encounter gravity wells (because a half second later the Falcon would've hit the planet and been [some nasty form of destruction])

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

Nice Interdictor art. So, here's my question about the interdictor... (spoilers for movie and Star Wars Rebels)

They made the Interdictor canon with Star Wars Rebels, but Ep. VII showed the Falcon leaving hyperspace right above the planet in order to do a stealth insertion. So, what does that say about the efficacy of Interdictors? Seems like JJ pretty much unintentionally nullified Interdictors. I'm planning to run a Star Wars RPG in a few months, and the Interdictor was always my favorite tool for surprising and freaking out players. Now, I have to be ready for the inevitable "BUT IN EPISODE 7 HAN SOLO DID A THING". I mean, it's not totally unmanageable or anything, but curious if I'm the only one that read the situation this way.

Something you need to understand about JJ: I love him to death, but he has no idea how planets and space actually work, and actively avoids thinking about them in his projects.

Like, the 5 planets that got Starkiller'd? They were shown as being right on top of each other, closer than our Lunar orbit, as opposed to being millions of miles apart. And their destruction was immediately visible on another planet that was thousands of light years away. You also see this with his Space Travel speeds, with every FTL flight taking 30 seconds regardless of actual distance (the X Wing attack, the Millennium Falcon flights, etc). This was also true back in his Star Trek days, what with teleporters going across star systems, and the Enterprise falling from the moon to Earth in 30 seconds.

Really, JJ thinks everything in the galaxy is 30 seconds apart. Which is fine, but you do gotta hand wave some of it occasionally. Interdictors work just fine, the next director will have other quirks for us to nitpick.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm also convinced he now has a fetish for destroying planets in increasingly over the top fashion :v:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think the important thing he knows about space in movies is that realism is utterly irrelevant and totally pointless?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

susan posted:

Something you need to understand about JJ: I love him to death, but he has no idea how planets and space actually work, and actively avoids thinking about them in his projects.

Like, the 5 planets that got Starkiller'd? They were shown as being right on top of each other, closer than our Lunar orbit, as opposed to being millions of miles apart. And their destruction was immediately visible on another planet that was thousands of light years away. You also see this with his Space Travel speeds, with every FTL flight taking 30 seconds regardless of actual distance (the X Wing attack, the Millennium Falcon flights, etc). This was also true back in his Star Trek days, what with teleporters going across star systems, and the Enterprise falling from the moon to Earth in 30 seconds.

Really, JJ thinks everything in the galaxy is 30 seconds apart. Which is fine, but you do gotta hand wave some of it occasionally. Interdictors work just fine, the next director will have other quirks for us to nitpick.

I've got some official answers for those at least. The system that was destroyed was one planet and its moons, not multiple planets. I can't say anything about the destruction itself being visible, but the beam was being shunted through hyperspace; the red beam itself was "leaking" out and could be seen everywhere on its path of travel.

Incidentally, travel time has never really been a huge thing in Star Wars. That's not a uniquely Abrams thing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So as someone just getting into FFG Star Wars games, have there every been serious rumours of a miniatures ground combat game on a larger scale than Imperial Assault? Something akin to a cross between X-Wing or Armada and Flames of War. Seems like it would be the logical next step for FFG in order to exploit their license to the fullest and probably a huge moneymaker. It could be something like 2-3x the scale of X-Wing, and a first wave could be Hoth stuff, the second Endor stuff, the third Rebels stuff, etc. Given that Rogue One is being described as Saving Private Ryan in space, it's bound to produce lots of suitable material...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

MeinPanzer posted:

...Given that Rogue One is being described as Saving Private Ryan in space, it's bound to produce lots of suitable material...

But I don't want to cry manly tears at the end of a Star Wars movie :ohdear:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

MeinPanzer posted:

So as someone just getting into FFG Star Wars games, have there every been serious rumours of a miniatures ground combat game on a larger scale than Imperial Assault? Something akin to a cross between X-Wing or Armada and Flames of War. Seems like it would be the logical next step for FFG in order to exploit their license to the fullest and probably a huge moneymaker. It could be something like 2-3x the scale of X-Wing, and a first wave could be Hoth stuff, the second Endor stuff, the third Rebels stuff, etc. Given that Rogue One is being described as Saving Private Ryan in space, it's bound to produce lots of suitable material...

They are basically re-doing that old Empire At War RTS in board game form at some point or another if that counts at all. Honestly with the popularity of X-Wing i doubt they would need to turn to Warhammer-esque minature style game. Why do that when X-Wing brings in just as much money but with a much larger target audience with the brand name and the ease of use?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

They are basically re-doing that old Empire At War RTS in board game form at some point or another if that counts at all. Honestly with the popularity of X-Wing i doubt they would need to turn to Warhammer-esque minature style game. Why do that when X-Wing brings in just as much money but with a much larger target audience with the brand name and the ease of use?

Because the Warhammer-esque miniature market and the X-wing market aren't the exact same. Some people will buy a WH40K-style tabletop wargame that wouldn't get into X-wing, some people will get both, and some people will get the miniatures just for other purposes and not play it as a game at all. There is less similarity between a proposed WH40K-style tabletop wargame and X-Wing (or Imperial Assault) than there is between X-Wing and Armada.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It wouldn't surprise me, they've got the IA miniature line so some of the setup cost is already sunk if they made it compatible.

jivjov posted:

I've got some official answers for those at least. The system that was destroyed was one planet and its moons, not multiple planets. I can't say anything about the destruction itself being visible, but the beam was being shunted through hyperspace; the red beam itself was "leaking" out and could be seen everywhere on its path of travel.

Incidentally, travel time has never really been a huge thing in Star Wars. That's not a uniquely Abrams thing.

Also the fast travels are always accompanied with a cut, it's just the pacing that makes it seem like travel is short.

Regarding them seeing the destruction from Takonada: They've said "it's a weird hyperspace shockwave that travels at the speed of narrative."

This is the correct choice for the hard science fiction series star wars.

Regarding interdictors/gravwell. I've had to made a call on that because the movie kind of changes some of the old hyperspace rules and I run an SW RPG. Heres what I've gone with, but it's only sort of ish supported in canon.

Interdictors are a special case, a super focused gravity well that can not only pull a ship out of hyperspace but also act as a mega tractor beam in realspace as seen in Rebels.

Gravity wells I treat as mainly a navigation issue. It won't pull you out of hyperspace, it won't stop you entering hyperspace, it'll just impact on your navigation severely. Jumping from inside a gravity well? Good luck ending up anywhere near where you wanted to go. Jumping into a gravity well? Go crazy, but expect to splat off the planet if you aren't an astonishingly accomplished pilot with the very best hyperdrive tech. - That fits with older EU stuff about running into planets/stars if you aren't careful which never really fitted with "gravity wells pull you out of HS"

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Has FFG ever done a traditional tabletop minis game with rulers and tables and stuff? Dust was a huge flop but even that used board game components.

Imperial Assault is incorporating a lot of the ground stuff that might be in a FoW type game. There's not a whole lot of iconic stuff from the films to release, either.

X-wing is doing so well I can't see FFG gambling on something for a market already saturated by GW, Privateer, and hundreds of Kickstarter games.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

alg posted:

Has FFG ever done a traditional tabletop minis game with rulers and tables and stuff? Dust was a huge flop but even that used board game components.

Imperial Assault is incorporating a lot of the ground stuff that might be in a FoW type game. There's not a whole lot of iconic stuff from the films to release, either.

X-wing is doing so well I can't see FFG gambling on something for a market already saturated by GW, Privateer, and hundreds of Kickstarter games.

Yeah, what happened to Dust? I remember seeing a lot of stands and promos a few years ago, now nothing. I really enjoy stories about how games develop/fail.

(Is Infinity still a thing?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

alg posted:

Dust Warfare was a ruleset that used rulers etc, and used the Dust minis. My understanding was always that it was created under the direction of FFG, and i believe it, mostly because when Dust switched distributors they abandoned Dust Warfare entirely

Edit:

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, what happened to Dust? I remember seeing a lot of stands and promos a few years ago, now nothing. I really enjoy stories about how games develop/fail.

(Is Infinity still a thing?)

Dust switched distributors, I don't know who dropped who, but they moved to Battlefront Games, the FoW people, who showed their confidence in the property by running a kickstarter to make anything new. it was a huge cluster, rewards way behind

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 4, 2016