Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I cook it at 500 because I'm a man. Also I don't mush up the dines. Also because I'm a man.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Phone the wife and get her to star pre-heating the oven now. Crank that fucker to full mill power. Your oven should be rumbling. Your kitchen should be like a foundry. LONG LIVE FISHERMAN'S EGG.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Another convert vis a vis a completely non-ironic post :smug:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bought a 12 pack of KO Mediterraneans based goon recommendations. Tried them for the first time last night.

Opened the can and splashed oil on my pants. Small nice looking fish - looks tast... sliced black olives?

The olives plus olive oil were all I could taste. Tails were a new thing. Ate the tails.

All in all will finish the rest of the tins but a disappointment.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

numberoneposter posted:

Phone the wife and get her to star pre-heating the oven now. Crank that fucker to full mill power. Your oven should be rumbling. Your kitchen should be like a foundry. LONG LIVE FISHERMAN'S EGG.

What if i have an actual blast furnace

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Save time cookin

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Ordered a 12-pack each of KO Mediterranean and KO cracked pepper. Shared the cracked pepper tonight w/my dog. Great stuff. It's nice and peppery. Shitload of peppercorns on top. I love it.

Looking forward to trying the meds after royal tasting the medi mackerel

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
I just realized this entire time I had sardines confused with anchovies.

Still glad I'm a can man now

They legit look like vomit but I love it

czarmonger fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 30, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Keith Atherton posted:

Bought a 12 pack of KO Mediterraneans based goon recommendations. Tried them for the first time last night.

Opened the can and splashed oil on my pants. Small nice looking fish - looks tast... sliced black olives?

The olives plus olive oil were all I could taste. Tails were a new thing. Ate the tails.

All in all will finish the rest of the tins but a disappointment.

I haven't tried those yet, but I got some mackerel with the meds treatment in my :siren:KO sampler:siren: and I found it to be pretty complementary.

Most of my sardines are just in olive oil, but I'm a back to basics kinda dude. "Mediterranean" is like fancy stuff to me, for special occasions, not everyday.

Also the linking of testosterone to oven settings in this thread is pretty cute. So long as bones are eaten I'm adequately mollified.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

NmareBfly posted:

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/ says 375 but I think there's some sort of dadfight about it going on. maybe because that recipe says to use a white onion but the proper way uses a shallot? i dunno

also I use 3 eggs because 4 eggs is just too many egg

I followed this recipe and made mine in a cupcake tin since I knew I wouldn't be able to eat that recipe in one or even two meals.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

czarmonger posted:

I just realized this entire time I had sardines confused with anchovies.

Still glad I'm a can man now

They legit look like vomit but I love it

woof.

if you actually liked that, please invest three bux in a loaf of italian and a cheap avocado and do this new-classic popular sardine dinner which is filling and amazing and goddamn dogg congrats on realizing they're not anchovies

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

You guys are going to go loving crazy when I finally make my sardine pizza @ 500 degrees. Maybe this weekend. Pizza dough is a pain in the old beehive and I like my pizza dough but I don't like making it so I might just buy some from this local bakery that sells fresh dough balls but otherwise I'm gonna make the sauce putanesca style.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 30, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

numberoneposter posted:

You guys are going to go loving crazy when I finally make my sardine pizza @ 500 degrees. Maybe this weekend. Pizza dough is a pain in the old beehive and I like my pizza dough but I don't like making it so I might just buy some from this local bakery that sells fresh dough balls but otherwise I'm gonna make the sauce putanesca style.

I like to go to papa murphy's and get a ready crust for two bucks. If you have P-murph or another take-n-bake place near you, i highly recommend begging them for a crust on the cheap. It's worth it.

e: I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. I think you're in frontier territory. You could do a pizza with sardine and fennel if you wanted to go sicilian. too weird to live, too rare to die.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 30, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I like to go to papa murphy's and get a ready crust for two bucks. If you have P-murph or another take-n-bake place near you, i highly recommend begging them for a crust on the cheap. It's worth it.

Doing this exact thing this weekend. Fantastic idea.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

pizer.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
just had canned mackerel

goddamn sardines can't compare

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Bobcats posted:

just had canned mackerel

goddamn sardines can't compare

Sardines are a little more consistent. Good mackerel is really, really good, though you never know if what that's what you're getting until its too late. Bought a super expensive German brand recently and its muddy dank-rear end bullshit. Whole can goes to the dog.

If you got a brand that's always great, let us know!

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Sardines are a little more consistent. Good mackerel is really, really good, though you never know if what that's what you're getting until its too late. Bought a super expensive German brand recently and its muddy dank-rear end bullshit. Whole can goes to the dog.

If you got a brand that's always great, let us know!

Just King Oscar Mediterranean Style.

For sardines I've had some luck with Trader Joe's Harissa ones. Straight up they don't taste much like harissa but they're bigger, clean fish.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you love the 'dines, do your part to reduce global warming.

Dinner was unsatisfactory, so later I had some Brunswicks packed in water on top of dollar store saltines. Eaten over a sink. The Brunswicks were firm & large (4 total fillets in the can). Kinda fishy but I love that.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

If you love the 'dines, do your part to reduce global warming.

Dinner was unsatisfactory, so later I had some Brunswicks packed in water on top of dollar store saltines. Eaten over a sink. The Brunswicks were firm & large (4 total fillets in the can). Kinda fishy but I love that.

I'm not sober enough to read that whole link but I thought 'dines were basically cool to eat since they're low-ish on the food chain. Or is that what it's saying?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Also, Fisherman's Eggs is just Shirred Eggs with fish instead of pork of some sort.

Imma sit on the fence here too and say that both 350 and 500 both work and the only real difference is how long that poo poo sits in the oven. This isnt bread or nothin where the temp really matters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm not sober enough to read that whole link but I thought 'dines were basically cool to eat since they're low-ish on the food chain. Or is that what it's saying?

Being low on the food chain makes them ok from a mercury (and other bio accumulative stuff) perspective, but the fisheries are mostly not run sustainably.

Seafoodwatch.org

If you eat Mediterranean sardines (e.g. King Oscar's pilchards) then you are literally a sea-destroying monster. Pacific sardines are best but they are shut down until June 2016 (which is why they are best). Baltic sardines are barely acceptable if they come from an appropriately-certified operation, which King Oscar's brislings currently don't though his website claims that they will be Any Day Now.

withak fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 30, 2015

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
So you're saying that we should buy all the dines we can before they become scarce?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
So I did a bit of comparison, and nutrition estimates seem to vary a lot even within brands. Is that a species thing? I was going to order some King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil, but they seem to have more fat and less protein than some of the other options out there. Is there any rule of thumb for getting healthier sardines?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Doctor Soup posted:

So I did a bit of comparison, and nutrition estimates seem to vary a lot even within brands. Is that a species thing? I was going to order some King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil, but they seem to have more fat and less protein than some of the other options out there. Is there any rule of thumb for getting healthier sardines?

Yeah, don't loving worry about it. Is, like, 1/20th a percentage difference in protein by volume going to make that big of a difference in your quest to get swole? If you want dines with a lower fat content then you need to get ones that aren't packed in a fat medium, ie. water, which are gross. Dines are good for you, don't waste your precious dine granted mental energy in trying to min/max the fuckers.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sizone posted:

Yeah, don't loving worry about it. Is, like, 1/20th a percentage difference in protein by volume going to make that big of a difference in your quest to get swole? If you want dines with a lower fat content then you need to get ones that aren't packed in a fat medium, ie. water, which are gross. Dines are good for you, don't waste your precious dine granted mental energy in trying to min/max the fuckers.

The only min/max you should be doing with dines is how many per mouthful.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Cool, I won't worry about it then, thanks.

Something else I noticed, sardines in oil seem to always be smoked unless they're also skinless and boneless. Not sure what's up with that. I'm not big on smoky sardines, how are King Oscars compared to Wild Planet on that front?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

sardines are healthpacks for real life

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 30, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

The only min/max you should be doing with dines is how many per mouthful.

SA dadmeet playin chubby bunny wit deeeeeeens

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Doctor Soup posted:

Cool, I won't worry about it then, thanks.

Something else I noticed, sardines in oil seem to always be smoked unless they're also skinless and boneless. Not sure what's up with that. I'm not big on smoky sardines, how are King Oscars compared to Wild Planet on that front?

KO's are, in most varieties, on the oily/smoky side. The only thing I remember about Wild Planet was not liking them and I'm pretty sure one of the reasons was that they weren't smoky enough. Filipino dines aren't smoky, are dirt cheap and are -okay- if you douse them in something other than the tomato sauce they're packed in. They come in round cans.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Really digging these saltines with garlic n' herb flavoring with my 'dines

How many sardines do you guys put on per cracker? I used to do 2 but now I'm going for 1½....

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
I eat sardines (in water) right the can with a fork and a shaker of salt. Look for the can that says 'Harvested in Poland.'

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

KO's are, in most varieties, on the oily/smoky side. The only thing I remember about Wild Planet was not liking them and I'm pretty sure one of the reasons was that they weren't smoky enough. Filipino dines aren't smoky, are dirt cheap and are -okay- if you douse them in something other than the tomato sauce they're packed in. They come in round cans.

Ligo dine are decent food, a rare thing in Pilipino foods

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Sizone posted:

Well dang. I might try them anyway, just because people keep saying they're the best. How are the jalapeno KO's?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Doctor Soup posted:

Well dang. I might try them anyway, just because people keep saying they're the best. How are the jalapeno KO's?

I had a tin of them on Saturday and just had a tin of them over a bed of brown rice for lunch today.

They're rather spicy and have chopped up jalapenos right on top of the fishes and are very very good.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Thump! posted:

I had a tin of them on Saturday and just had a tin of them over a bed of brown rice for lunch today.

They're rather spicy and have chopped up jalapenos right on top of the fishes and are very very good.

Gonna eat those dines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I ate some Bar Harbor smoked sardines today and they were delicious, definitely the highest quality of any canned fish I've eaten so far.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I made Pampanga a few days before the old thread closed and never got a chance to share the recipe. Soup was easy to make and delicious, only downside was I used Seasons and think a better quality 'dine would have really made the dish.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oven preheating to five hundred degrees Fahrenheit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

marauderthirty posted:

Oven preheating to five hundred degrees Fahrenheit...

Same

raton fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 30, 2015