Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
I am also under the impression that matchmaking is completely bonkers since the rank redistribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
is that even surprising of course it would be if they made a pretty drastic change. matchmaking is gonna be a mess for a few weeks until everyone gets sorted. just deal with XD

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Pretty sure only the MMR thresholds for the ranks were changed and you should be playing against more or less the same opponents.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

mcvey posted:

Pretty sure only the MMR thresholds for the ranks were changed and you should be playing against more or less the same opponents.

wrong, i bet people are salty because a picture changed which will ruin mm for months

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Also CSGO being half off will be a factor.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
How many hours does it take to grind an account from brand new to level 3 + 10 wins?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Couple hours to level 3, then 120 hours for the ten wins at two a day.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What are the new ranks

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

just ranked up to master blyatrian from boosted elo elite

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

pandaK posted:

What are the new ranks

They changed the mapping of your hidden number to ranks, not the ranks themselves because the highest ranks had gotten so bloated that they were meaningless.

12/14/2015:

12/26/2015:

I went down from DMG to MG2, but I'm still playing with the same people I would have without this change.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

CSGO is actually a Learn 2 Type program. It's just limited to how fast you can type "~quit" :v:

I did just watch a smurf carry our team by getting 49k and something like 110 points. Dude was nuts.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

fennesz posted:

CSGO is actually a Learn 2 Type program. It's just limited to how fast you can type "~quit" :v:

I did just watch a smurf carry our team by getting 49k and something like 110 points. Dude was nuts.

i got 37 using only the glock and the p2000

it's easy to frag high with that but it's hard to win

IMO it's the only fair way to make a new account, if you don't give yourself a handicap you are not Gaming Honorably

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Up Circle posted:

How many hours does it take to grind an account from brand new to level 3 + 10 wins?
A loving eternity. I still don't have competitive unlocked and I was LEM before the change with <100 hours played. I play for an hour or two here and there, usually top frag a dm or do arms race, and I have over 200 hours played now and I'm still not loving level 3. You get like 50 exp per game and need 6000 or something to rank up it's awful. It's the shittiest system and forces me to play boring rear end game modes with awful players.

It's seriously awful and why I've pretty much quit CSGO even though I have friends who still ask me to play. To be fair, I've been trying to hit 3 these past few days and I guess it doesn't take that long if you can stomach grinding those games out. You do get a weekly bonus which is nice, like +150 exp per game, but it's still a ridiculous system when the only reason I want to play CSGO is for clowning around in mm queue with old 1.6 buds.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 30, 2015

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Khorne posted:

forces me to play boring rear end game modes with awful players.

and you want to play mm

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Up Circle posted:

and you want to play mm
I only really queued with old 1.6 buds when I had access to matchmaking. It's fun clowning around okay? I have to retake my title as the famaster.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I know that the matchmaking isn't changed, only that the rank shown is.
I also know that I've had way shittier games since the change. I suspect people are trying less when they get dumped down ranks, but it may rather be bad luck of course.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Khorne posted:

A loving eternity. I still don't have competitive unlocked and I was LEM before the change with <100 hours played. I play for an hour or two here and there, usually top frag a dm or do arms race, and I have over 200 hours played now and I'm still not loving level 3. You get like 50 exp per game and need 6000 or something to rank up it's awful. It's the shittiest system and forces me to play boring rear end game modes with awful players.

It's seriously awful and why I've pretty much quit CSGO even though I have friends who still ask me to play. To be fair, I've been trying to hit 3 these past few days and I guess it doesn't take that long if you can stomach grinding those games out. You do get a weekly bonus which is nice, like +150 exp per game, but it's still a ridiculous system when the only reason I want to play CSGO is for clowning around in mm queue with old 1.6 buds.

You just have to do casual, if you do it only with the bonus it's like, 18 games or something

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Carol Pizzamom posted:

You just have to do casual, if you do it only with the bonus it's like, 18 games or something
Casual gives no real exp:time bonus over dm/arms race. I checked it, because I was like why is this taking so drat long.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Install CEVO client, join pug, play CS with 90% fewer MM retards and much better servers.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Khorne posted:

Casual gives no real exp:time bonus over dm/arms race. I checked it, because I was like why is this taking so drat long.

I got it at 8 hours played. If you're above 12 and not rank 3 and you've only been trying to rank up then I don't know, try casual or don't play unless you have the weekly xp bonus (just do cevo, community servers, etc, instead)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Khorne posted:

Khorne posted:

the game gives you extra xp to a total of about around 2000 each week or something, then it intentionally reduces the regular amount you get to discourage you from hunkering down in a couple hours. This was to combat smurfs and cheaters buying new accounts. Just do a half hour session per week and in about 2 or 3 weeks you'll be done.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the people who say you can do it in "a couple hours" are loving stupid and you shouldnt listen to them. I spent like 3 hours once of straight nonstop top frag dming and made it halfway on my alt. Just take your time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PerOlus posted:

I know that the matchmaking isn't changed, only that the rank shown is.
I also know that I've had way shittier games since the change. I suspect people are trying less when they get dumped down ranks, but it may rather be bad luck of course.

This has been my experience as well. I also suspect it's exacerbated by higher ranked folks laying off of their main until ranks chill and playing on smurfs instead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ArfJason posted:

the people who say you can do it in "a couple hours" are loving stupid and you shouldnt listen to them. I spent like 3 hours once of straight nonstop top frag dming and made it halfway on my alt. Just take your time.
Fun fact, deathmatch is one of the slower ways to do it.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

kalstrams posted:

this is the least fun fact ive ever read

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
DaZeD and steel (and all the other FPL grinders) have dropped 120+ hours each on CSGO in the past two weeks and are all clearly out of it at this point. Valve needs to unban them before they commit the first FPL-induced murder-suicide on livestream.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carol Pizzamom posted:

this is the least fun fact ive ever read
It's about as fun as grinding rank 3 alone on community deathmatch servers.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

canoshiz posted:

[quote="kalstrams" post="454382641"]
It's about as fun as grinding rank 3 alone on community deathmatch servers.

i better learn some crazy poo poo about alpacas or penguins or tectonic shifts if you're going to hit me with a fun fact motherfucker otherwise im about to flip thef uck out in this here thread

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm still looking for EU players around the AK ranks to fill up a 5-stack. Add me if you want to be stupid with goons.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/devt/

Devt bro, I'll play with you (Cups here...). I'm LEM, and have no idea if that's bad for your 5-stack, but I'm up for games :)

At work now so can't add you on steam, but here you go: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Solocup

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

kalstrams posted:

also tried usual advice of demolition and it was still a very long procedure
whatever the case you can get 13k xp before the debuff kicks in so you can get it in 2 weeks if you really want to

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

i better learn some crazy poo poo about alpacas or penguins or tectonic shifts if you're going to hit me with a fun fact motherfucker otherwise im about to flip thef uck out in this here thread

The tectonic activity under Yellowstone will eventually result in the largest cataclysmic event since the extinction of the dinosaurs. That's all I got. A few geologically recent plynian eruptions have come close but it will almost certainly be larger.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

fennesz posted:

The tectonic activity under Yellowstone will eventually result in the largest cataclysmic event since the extinction of the dinosaurs. That's all I got. A few geologically recent plynian eruptions have come close but it will almost certainly be larger.

you have saved my holiday spirit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Average speed of tectonic shifts is about equal to that of growth of human nails.

ArfJason posted:

also tried usual advice of demolition and it was still a very long procedure
The only reasonable advice here is to duo in casual.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Solo posted:

Devt bro, I'll play with you (Cups here...). I'm LEM, and have no idea if that's bad for your 5-stack, but I'm up for games :)

At work now so can't add you on steam, but here you go: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Solocup

Hot. We can give it a shot, as long as you're willing to humor our extreme badness. :shobon:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Dork457 posted:

At first I didn't mind the rebalancing of ranks, but now it's like every MM match I play is just full of people who do not gel well playstyle-wise at all.

it's the same people. your elo is unchanged, and that's what is used for matching games. what's changed is what elo corresponds to what rank. it's all in your head (and you're bad)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wrong thread.

P.S. My sens is 2.0 @ 400 dpi.

Smol fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 30, 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i call this one "my alt is ranked higher than my main"

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 30, 2015

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here

Katana Gomai posted:

Hot. We can give it a shot, as long as you're willing to humor our extreme badness. :shobon:

I'm sure it's not that bad :) Besides playing with bad, (un)funny goons beats the solo queue with 2 russians, a ukranian and a polish dude calling me names in moonspeak.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

fennesz posted:

Whenever you hear about this, its not something you are going to have to deal with in your lifetime. Estimates currently sit at 1000 years down the road but with just how insane a lot of modern society is today I don't think we're gonna make it another 1000 and if we do we're certainly going to have thought of how to deal with how this affects everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Khorne posted:

Uhh provided you can pick up like 15 points per game it took me roughly
20 hours to get to 3 playing casual and that included like 5 hours of dm

• Locked thread