Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I know that uTorrent is no longer the preferred bittorrent program of the masses because of all the changes in the newest versions but what is the best one now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

I know that uTorrent is no longer the preferred bittorrent program of the masses because of all the changes in the newest versions but what is the best one now?

*fishmechs into the room*

use qBittorrent v3.1.12

Available at oldversion.com or somesuch

It doesn't stream video but it works well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

uwaeve posted:

Save the picture to a local drive.
Open a web browser and surf your way to imgur.com.
Upload (you can literally drag the file from Windows Explorer to the imgur browser window, it will begin the upload process...I think there is also an Upload link somewhere).
Copy the BBCode link once it is uploaded, paste into your post. If the dimensions of the image are large you can add a "t" before the "img" in the opening and closing tags so it reads
code:
[timg]http://www.imgur.com/randomlettersforboringpicture.gif[/timg]
and it will put a nice expandable pic in the post.

If none of this works just post the link here and I'll give you an imgur link, provided it's not too large, the original file is downloadable, etc.

Or just right click it, copy the image location/url, and place it in timg tags. There's no need to rehost images from Tumblr (unless you suspect the person who posted it is going to delete it), as it's an imagehosting site as far as the mods are concerned.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

syscall girl posted:

*fishmechs into the room*

use qBittorrent v3.1.12

Available at oldversion.com or somesuch

It doesn't stream video but it works well

Why is 3.1.12 better than the current version, 3.3.1?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Why is 3.1.12 better than the current version, 3.3.1?

Ask fishmech, I was literally going on his recc w/o question just because I didn't want to learn any more details about the ins and outs of torrent clients.

It's lightweight and works well.

Not that I really had a problem with uTorrent

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
3.1.whatever is better because it's way easier to remove the ads and other such stuff.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Edit:nvm I'm retarded

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

So I'm long overdue to give my friend a birthday gift, and I told him I'd give him his on Christmas because he lives in the states and I'm in Canada. Well, it's been three days since Christmas, and I've held off on this because I know poo poo about shipping to other countries.

So I want to get a good friend of mine something from his Amazon wishlist, but the problem – again – is that I live in Canada and he is in the United States. Can I buy something from Amazon's US site, use his address in Florida as the shipping address, and have it billed to my home address in Canada? Or would I have to buy it, get it shipped to my address, and pay MORE for shipping to ship it back to the United States?

Xires fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 29, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xires posted:

So I'm long overdue to give my friend a birthday gift, and I told him I'd give him his on Christ because he lives in the states and I'm in Canada. Well, it's been three days since Christmas, and I've held off on this because I know poo poo about shipping to other countries.

So I want to get a good friend of mine something from his Amazon wishlist, but the problem – again – is that I live in Canada and he is in the United States. Can I buy something from Amazon's US site, use his address in Florida as the shipping address, and have it billed to my home address in Canada? Or would I have to buy it, get it shipped to my address, and pay MORE for shipping to ship it back to the United States?

You should be able to buy most things on Amazon Canada and have them shipped to the US. But if all else fails you can use a fake US billing address, buy US Amazon credit, and use that to pay for the same item on the Amazon US store and ship to him.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Xires posted:

So I'm long overdue to give my friend a birthday gift, and I told him I'd give him his on Christ because he lives in the states and I'm in Canada. Well, it's been three days since Christmas, and I've held off on this because I know poo poo about shipping to other countries.

Yes, you can buy something from Amazon.com and have it sent to his U.S. house using your Canadian credit card with no problem, as long as it's a VISA or MasterCard. Amazon doesn't really care what bank is the ultimate issuer.

You might get a percentage point more hosed on the currency exchange, though.

Unless it's something that isn't sold in Canada (like a medication that is OTC here but prescription in Canada, or some books that have complicated distribution agreements between publishers) in which case they might cancel your order. But apart from that it should be no problem.

It's really easy to send gifts via Amazon. They haven't set up any weird barriers to doing it internationally.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 29, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What is that thing in the "gay dad" avatars supposed to be?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fishmech posted:

3.1.whatever is better because it's way easier to remove the ads and other such stuff.

There's adds in qBittorrent? Since when? Not in my up-to-date version...

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Buying parts for a car, is it better just to go straight to the dealer to get the parts and have them put it on my car, or should I just order the parts online and go to a local mechanic? Or even have the mechanic order the parts for me and install them?

I want genuine parts by the way. I found what I needed online for about $100 cheaper than what the dealer quoted me, but I'm worried if I take the parts to a mechanic, they're not going to guarantee the repair since I supplied my own parts. So I'm kind of screwed if they gently caress it up. Or does it not matter since they're genuine parts anyway? Should I expect some kind of markup on labor, since they aren't making a profit on the parts?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jake Snake posted:

Buying parts for a car, is it better just to go straight to the dealer to get the parts and have them put it on my car, or should I just order the parts online and go to a local mechanic? Or even have the mechanic order the parts for me and install them?

I want genuine parts by the way. I found what I needed online for about $100 cheaper than what the dealer quoted me, but I'm worried if I take the parts to a mechanic, they're not going to guarantee the repair since I supplied my own parts. So I'm kind of screwed if they gently caress it up. Or does it not matter since they're genuine parts anyway? Should I expect some kind of markup on labor, since they aren't making a profit on the parts?

Throw this question up in the AI simple questions thread, they'll be able to help you out with answers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Memento posted:

Throw this question up in the AI simple questions thread, they'll be able to help you out with answers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Thanks! I completely forgot about AI for some reason.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

What is that thing in the "gay dad" avatars supposed to be?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/spurdo-sparde

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm looking for some video editing software but don't want to spend more money than I have to. I mainly need to be able to change the speed of the video (slow it down or speed it up, possibly in the same video) and overlay an alternate soundtrack.

Suggestions?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm looking for some video editing software but don't want to spend more money than I have to.

If you're using Windows, Movie Maker is free and works fine.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

If you're using Windows, Movie Maker is free and works fine.

I have that, but it doesn't allow a variable speed change and the audio is not changed (according to a tutorial I found).

Thanks though.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Take this sentence:

"The boss had me check the numbers."

Why is check the correct tense to use there? What is the tense for it? Why is it not "checking" or "checked"?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Because english is dumb most likely.

Now that I think about it, that word and it's derivatives work in a lot of ways.

I will check it tomorrow.

He is doing the check.

Did you check on the cat last night?

It had been checked.

It will be checked.

It is being checked.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Danger Mahoney posted:

Take this sentence:

"The boss had me check the numbers."

Why is check the correct tense to use there? What is the tense for it? Why is it not "checking" or "checked"?

I think it is because there is an implied "to" there that is missing. It is because "had" is being used as a causative verb that uses a bare infinitive.

more info here:
http://www.headsupenglish.com/index...causative-verbs

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 30, 2015

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks, that article was very helpful. I am trying to help out someone teaching English in India and she couldn't come up with how that sentence worked from a technical sense.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
While watching my two year old daughter play with her toy tea set, I started to wonder:

Do children who grow up in countries where tea drinking is uncommon or non existent still have pretend tea parties? Or would they engage in a similar but more culturally relevant activity?

Eta: \/\/\/ Really interesting! Thank you :)

bee fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 31, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bee posted:

While watching my two year old daughter play with her toy tea set, I started to wonder:

Do children who grow up in countries where tea drinking is uncommon or non existent still have pretend tea parties? Or would they engage in a similar but more culturally relevant activity?

Yeah, tea sets are sold inexplicably all over the world and are the subjects of children's context-free desires.

This, for instance:

Is a child's teapot from prehistoric Newfoundland, used by the Beo'thuk, ca. 6500 BCE. The Beo'thuk had no access to tea but apparently their children still held tea parties, confirmed by the logs of 16th century British sailors, who thought nothing of it but appreciated the hundreds of pelts and salted fish they received in exchange for their captains' chamber pots.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Is it possible to have the neck line of a large cotton tee shirt tailored to small?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Disharmony posted:

Is it possible to have the neck line of a large cotton tee shirt tailored to small?

I think we need a picture of your tiny, tiny neck in order to give proper advice here.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

tuyop posted:

Yeah, tea sets are sold inexplicably all over the world and are the subjects of children's context-free desires.

This, for instance:

Is a child's teapot from prehistoric Newfoundland, used by the Beo'thuk, ca. 6500 BCE. The Beo'thuk had no access to tea but apparently their children still held tea parties, confirmed by the logs of 16th century British sailors, who thought nothing of it but appreciated the hundreds of pelts and salted fish they received in exchange for their captains' chamber pots.

Do you have a link to more information on this? I find it really fascinating. I searched for 'Beo'thuk teapot' but Google failed me.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Heated fluid is pretty good after a day in the bilges / crags / bear wrangling pits, as confirmed by inuits, russians and masai looking to not die from the shits.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think we need a picture of your tiny, tiny neck in order to give proper advice here.

What I'm trying to say is the neck collar of a large shirt looks like a plunging, bacony mess when worn by a small, 115 lb. guy so I was wondering if that can be tailored slightly.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

tuyop posted:

This, for instance:

This is amazingly cool.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Disharmony posted:

What I'm trying to say is the neck collar of a large shirt looks like a plunging, bacony mess when worn by a small, 115 lb. guy so I was wondering if that can be tailored slightly.

Get a smaller shirt.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Disharmony posted:

I'm not a tailor, but it seems super unlikely that a t-shirt can be tailored to have a smaller neck. There's no extra fabric around the neck, so how would they make the hole smaller? I suppose they could remove the collar and could try to find a similarly colored but wider collar, but that'd probably look dumb.

Honest question: have you tried child sizes? If you're 115 lbs you'd probably fit a child's large.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Coming from a 6 foot, 120 to 140 lb skeleton- small to medium shirts are your size. You would also have take in the sides, armholes and possibly shoulders for it to fit well. Baggy clothing will just accentuate how skinny you are. T-shirts can be a casual medium, but button-up shirts should always be small.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Has anyone ever done a study on what maximum human capability is? For example, nobody will ever run the 100m in half a second, or do a 100 foot high jump. But has anyone done any type of study on what maximum human potential is? Is a study like that even possible?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cole posted:

Has anyone ever done a study on what maximum human capability is? For example, nobody will ever run the 100m in half a second, or do a 100 foot high jump. But has anyone done any type of study on what maximum human potential is? Is a study like that even possible?

Given enough time, genetic engineering, and a hard-core eugenics program, it's hard to say what might be accomplished, or how "human" the end result would be. Even if you mean without significant modifications or selection over time, we don't know enough about the human genome to really nail it down.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I live in Denver and have Comcast - it looks to me like I do not have the dreaded 300 GB data limit because Denver is not listed on this page:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/

I honest to god trust random internet posters more than their customer service people, and I don't have to wait 3 hours on the phone for an answer, so that's why I'm asking here.

edit: nevermind, I'm like 99% it doesn't apply here and they have courtesy months if it for some reason does.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 30, 2015

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I used in-app purchases to buy "premium" to get rid of ads in an android game on a tablet with multiple user accounts. Can I get this to apply to all the user accounts on the tablet? They all use the same google account in the backend, and the only reason it's set up this way is so that the kids won't sell / maim / kill one another's smurfs or whatever and bring down the end times upon us all. The tablet is rooted if that matters.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Are gifs loving with Firefox for anyone else? When I scroll down to an animated gif it can freeze the whole browser for about 5-10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OctoberBlues posted:

I live in Denver and have Comcast - it looks to me like I do not have the dreaded 300 GB data limit because Denver is not listed on this page:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/

I honest to god trust random internet posters more than their customer service people, and I don't have to wait 3 hours on the phone for an answer, so that's why I'm asking here.

edit: nevermind, I'm like 99% it doesn't apply here and they have courtesy months if it for some reason does.

The cap is only enforced in a few random places like Tennessee, parts of Texas and I think parts of California. This is supposed to be temporary, in reality it's permanent.