Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

so i actually have to fight the zolom?

Yeah but it's really trivial to beat it early on. It's vulnerable to poison so you just need to set up any materia combination that lets you survive and then just wear it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but it's really trivial to beat it early on. It's vulnerable to poison so you just need to set up any materia combination that lets you survive and then just wear it down.

You'd think beating it would earn you a lot of exp and ap. You'd be thinking wrong. So much time wasted that first time...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

whats the easiest way to shatter ff7 over my knee early on

by early on i mean im in the middle of the nibelheim flashback on disc 1

ImpAtom posted:

Get an Enemy Skill Materia (you should have one already.) Get Beta from Midgarzolom. Congrads!
drat, that's brutal though. Surviving Beta is a crapshoot even if you know what you're doing. Poor man's Beta is picking up Matra Magic and then just stacking green or red materia to get a boost to your magic stat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's also the chance it'll just knock away the person with the ES materia so you have to start all over again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

^^^--Ride a Chocobo

FFT is bullshit hard and I loving can't

even

Stupid loving random encounter chocobo

stupid loving chapter 1 boss being so loving hard god drat it gently caress you

gently caress YOU

FFT is bullshit hard at 2 places, chapter 1 is not one of them :cheeky:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Carry Armor is bullshit and is just as annoying in all mods I've played of this game. Such a random, nothing boss and yet it's one of the hardest.

I've heard that Safer Sephiroth levels up with Cloud ans also gets stronger if you use KOTR on Jenova SYNTHESIS right before. I've always wanted to make a go at that since he's the only boss that scales with you.
The scaling isn't really impressive and even if it was, Safer Sephiroth's pre-determined attack pattern isn't in any hurry to kill you with things affected by stats. Unless you're set up to do some W-Summon nonsense or any other choice of breaking the game you might as well aim for a low-HP version unless you have something to prove about how many times you can stand watching Supernova.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 30, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair enough. It's been so long since I beat 'vanilla" FFVII that I recall very little about its easiness or difficulty.

I was thinking of getting it on PS4 but I might just pass. It sounds boring as gently caress, which I don't remember.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Exdeath is hilarious oh my god, Gerald C. Rivers voice is every bit as amazing as I remembered it being

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

I do remember a lot of people complaining the first mission was an absolute brickwall when it first came out. At the time, there weren't a whole lot of SRPG's out so I guess console RPG fans at the time were completely thrown for a loop by such things as "attacking from the side," "reading directions about placing all your dudes," and "paying attention to where you can move."

Hell, some guy I worked with complained that the materia system was too obtuse so in light of that, I can see why FFT could just break some people.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 30, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. It's been so long since I beat 'vanilla" FFVII that I recall very little about its easiness or difficulty.

I was thinking of getting it on PS4 but I might just pass. It sounds boring as gently caress, which I don't remember.

I mean, I should get it too on the PC since FOR SOME REASON I'm getting that minmax equipment sperg itch.

Or I could just get VIII which has no rerelease on anything I own. :v:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I do remember a lot of people complaining the first mission was an absolute brickwall when it first came out. At the time, there weren't a whole lot of SRPG's out so I guess console RPG fans at the time were completely thrown for a loop by such things as "attacking from the side," "reading directions about placing all your dudes," and "paying attention to where you can move."

Hell, some guy I worked with complained that the materia system was too obtuse so in light of that, I can see why FFT could just break some people.

The first brick wall mission for me as a kid was definitely Dorter Trade City, though I can't really remember why. I think it was mostly being underequipped and not really knowing how to deal with archers and wizards.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dorter Trade City really becomes a wall if you get there using only Ramza and the guest Delita, because you don't realize you can deploy other units, a thing that definitely didn't happen to a friend of mine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ I can sorta understand people doing that in the intro fight but your friend is next level dense if he got to that point and hadn't even pretended to look at what the screen said. I'm amazed they managed to save Algus in the second fight. :psyduck:

FF7 hasn't got a real difficulty curve, but it has some kind of brick wall bosses:

Demon Wall is probably the first really tough boss
Going through Mt. Nibel is a very resource-draining dungeon thingy
That weird robot Reno sics on you in the submarine bay is hard
The last boss can be tough

You can have Omnislash by the time you reach Demon Wall. When I played FF7 he was the first enemy I used it on and I think it's the only ability I used to kill the boss.

so i actually have to fight the zolom?

To get Beta yes. Once your Enemy Materia user gets hit with Beta (and lives) just have them use Beta immediately and it should finish off the enemy.

Just using a resist + fire materia on a character and having them guard should be enough to live unless you're doing some low level run.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you aren't grinding levels/jobs the final chapter 1 fight is horrible. The boss can auto-potion to keep their HP up and enemy mages have fire/ice/lit 2 so if you aren't careful they can and will blow you the gently caress up too. As a kid I beat it because I had made my Black Mage get Flare after I had the first tier elemental spells, and with Flare you can one-shot the boss usually. I was still level 15-17 though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Getting Omnislash on Disk 1 sounds crazy to me. It takes twice as many points as getting it on Disk 2 or 3, correct? Twice as much grinding at the Battle Arena. gently caress that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's easy as poo poo abusing cheats in the PS4 version, could probably have it sooner actually

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Pioneering PS4 cheats with Disc 0 Omnislash

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Unless you're willing to engage in a semantic argument about "what 'bullshit hard' really means" this is patently untrue, there are at least three roadblocks I can think of in Chapter 1, namely Dorter Trade City, the First Wiegraf fight and the Algus fight.

And FF VII PS4 version with cheats is great, I just play with Boost on all the time and don't care - though truth be told I could easily manage without it, it's not hard and won't save you from status effects or being one-shot, either through Death or straight damage, but otherwise Boost combined with No Encounters makes for a great, relaxed experience. And Boost plus Turbo makes learning Limit Breaks or grinding for Mythril fairly easy, too (even though I've grinded into more than a hundred fights before getting the buggy, thankfully the item is either fixed or I was lucky getting it on the second chance).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Every other person that starts up FFT fresh dies in the first real fight

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Szurumbur posted:

Unless you're willing to engage in a semantic argument about "what 'bullshit hard' really means" this is patently untrue, there are at least three roadblocks I can think of in Chapter 1, namely Dorter Trade City, the First Wiegraf fight and the Algus fight.

And FF VII PS4 version with cheats is great, I just play with Boost on all the time and don't care - though truth be told I could easily manage without it, it's not hard and won't save you from status effects or being one-shot, either through Death or straight damage, but otherwise Boost combined with No Encounters makes for a great, relaxed experience. And Boost plus Turbo makes learning Limit Breaks or grinding for Mythril fairly easy, too (even though I've grinded into more than a hundred fights before getting the buggy, thankfully the item is either fixed or I was lucky getting it on the second chance).

No Encounters? What the gently caress does that do, remove the random mobs and give you straight bossfights when they happen?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

widespread posted:

No Encounters? What the gently caress does that do, remove the random mobs and give you straight bossfights when they happen?

There are three built-in cheats in the PS4 version:
Boost: you HP/MP are maxed after being lowered and your LIMIT bar is maxed without any need to take damage (you do spend the points/bar, so you can still be one-shot, but generally you're invincible)
Turbo: everything but the cutscenes/FMVs moves 3 times as fast as it normally would
No Encounters: random encounters are disabled, only fixed and boss encounters remain

It's great, and they don't even disable trophies if you're into that, as I am. One of my gripes with FF VII was that you only had access to "Less Encounters" materia, and even that was a reward in Gold Saucer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Dorter Trade City really becomes a wall if you get there using only Ramza and the guest Delita, because you don't realize you can deploy other units, a thing that definitely didn't happen to a friend of mine.

Nah, Dorter is rough. They have an archer equipped with a longbow in great position at the top of a tall building that takes a number of turns to scale while she just takes potshots at your dudes. The difficulty is in your terrain disadvantage. Battle Boots can't really mitigate it because the problem is that, short of grinding classes with mobility passives, you can't obtain the vertical movement you need to scale the tower effectively; your only realistic option (i.e., "it's my first time playing this game") is to climb it stairs-style.

It doesn't help that you probably unlocked some interesting classes during the mission where you rescue Algus, but as it turns out, there's no reason to use Knights yet since Squires can wear everything else you can access to that point, your White Mage will probably be out of position too often to heal like you want, and your level is too low to kill even a single unit with a Black Mage. It's a major trap. Kinda mean imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's also your first encounter with enemy wizards, who just so happens to get a boost to his thunder spells from the weather. That can be a nasty surprise.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also your first encounter with enemy wizards, who just so happens to get a boost to his thunder spells from the weather. That can be a nasty surprise.

Actually I think the Wizards in Dorter are hard-coded to use Fire spells, which do not get a boost from the weather (I don't think the rain in Dorter is strong enough to affect spells either way, but if anything it weakens fire). But yeah, it's the first fight where enemies can put out some serious damage, and you're basically forced to split your team to go after the archer, or all head up on the box pile where you you'll probably get swarmed or nuked by the mages.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ugh why am I having trouble with FF X? I'm not 14 anymore!

Any tips on how to break this game around the second Seymour fight? I just got past the Rondo brothers and this trek up the mountain is killing me way too much.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The cheapo way to cheese (almost) any boss in FF10 is grind up your Overdrives on every Aeon you have and then just loving unload. Or does that form of Seymour have one of those spells that kills them as soon as you summon them?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't phoenix downs have a chance of missing in FFT? I feel like that was the last straw for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The cheapo way to cheese (almost) any boss in FF10 is grind up your Overdrives on every Aeon you have and then just loving unload. Or does that form of Seymour have one of those spells that kills them as soon as you summon them?

You can still summon the aeon and use its overdrive before Seymour has a chance to instantly kill it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The White Dragon posted:

I reflected the gently caress out of the second Seymour fight, just having problems with this mountain trek. I'm losing to trash random fights.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Don't phoenix downs have a chance of missing in FFT? I feel like that was the last straw for me.

What. No.

Items have a 100% hit rate with infinite height tolerance. The only thing to watch for is making sure line-of-sight is clear when using Throw Item.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

I realize my knowledge of various games' mechanics is hardly something to be proud of, but what's with these heinous lies about the older games I hear constantly, in this thread of all places? One of the Item skillset advantages over magic in non-reliance of percentages.

Unless you mean physically miss with throw, but doesn't the game tell you that you won't hit your target if you don't have LoS or they're Innocent or otherwise immune? That I don't remember, I'm afraid.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 30, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

He's probably conflating it with White Magic, which to be fair can and will miss when you need it most.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can poison the mountain Seymour fight

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Can phoenix downs miss in that loving stupid hard romhack of fft

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

I don't know much about 1.3, but I very much doubt it - they made very many changes I've never played it, but that would be very stupid change and really in vein of the "spirit" of the hack.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

voltcatfish posted:

Wasn't the difficulty bump part of the original slowdown patch too, without being noted?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wasn't the difficulty bump part of the original slowdown patch too, without being noted?

No, it only removed the slowdown and changed nothing else on the PSP version.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Grem posted:

I reflected the gently caress out of the second Seymour fight, just having problems with this mountain trek. I'm losing to trash random fights.

I know that feeling. One of disbelief and humilation because you wiped to random encounters. On my recent playthrough of FF6, at the end of the WoB, I wiped to a group of 3 liches. That was an awful experience.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, Dorter is rough. They have an archer equipped with a longbow in great position at the top of a tall building that takes a number of turns to scale while she just takes potshots at your dudes. The difficulty is in your terrain disadvantage. Battle Boots can't really mitigate it because the problem is that, short of grinding classes with mobility passives, you can't obtain the vertical movement you need to scale the tower effectively; your only realistic option (i.e., "it's my first time playing this game") is to climb it stairs-style.

It doesn't help that you probably unlocked some interesting classes during the mission where you rescue Algus, but as it turns out, there's no reason to use Knights yet since Squires can wear everything else you can access to that point, your White Mage will probably be out of position too often to heal like you want, and your level is too low to kill even a single unit with a Black Mage. It's a major trap. Kinda mean imo

Oh I don't disagree, I was just relating an anecdote about my goofy friend.

I'm in the camp that FFT is actually a pretty difficult game before you're intimately familiar with the game mechanics. White Mage being inessential and unreliable compared to Chemist, for example, when Cure spells are completely indispensable in the non-strategy games. There are also a lot of battles where making one stupid mistake or failing to notice one thing can be the beginning of a downhill spiral into a reset.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

andipossess posted:

The first brick wall mission for me as a kid was definitely Dorter Trade City, though I can't really remember why. I think it was mostly being underequipped and not really knowing how to deal with archers and wizards.

This is where I gave up on the game last year when I first tried to play it, and because it was interminably slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Give me FFTA any day of the week.