Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Eyud posted:

Ian Bell is a dick occasionally but I would be too if I had to deal with hyper-entitled gamers all the time.

Right? "Gamers" aren't exactly a mentally stable group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Eyud posted:

Ian Bell is a dick occasionally but I would be too if I had to deal with hyper-entitled gamers all the time.

The particular gamer he banned and insulted wasn't hyper-entitled though. Wanting a response to a widespread problem isn't being "entitled." I love PCars. Unfortunately Ian Bell is a prick.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The good news is you're buying a game and not Ian Bell. PCARS owns.

Their physics dude is cool and offers up nice write-ups regarding how cars were built for the game using data or whatever they could get.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43295-The-Physics-of-Renault-Sport-Car-Pack

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 29, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The driving part of pcars owns.

Years of Forza's modding and tuning system left me flailing around a lot in pcars though. They somehow made selecting tire compound or adjusting camber a black art that requires years of study to accomplish.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No more Reiza2015, it has a name!

Also a bunch of screenshots, this is still ISIMotor so the jump isn't huge but there's a noticable difference in my opinion if you're familiar with SCE. Pit garages can now be skinned for Stock Car seasons and leagues, the Vees are actually rounded now, some new skins for the F-Extreme, the god drat Super Trucks and Rallycross Lancer. Also a little in development shot of dynamic tracks. There's a bunch more shots on the game's website and I'm really excited to try that first beta when it gets released.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just hope for some improvements in the UI and - now that they can finally get into the inner workings of the engine - that dynamic (i.e. MAX) shadows have been moved from CPU to GPU to get rid of their stupidly high performance impact. Other than that I consider this mostly a (necessary) rebranding, although I'm not sure how much I'm on board with the new name.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
It will be a great racing sim, but god drat is that name awful. Call it Autosim or something. Jesus.

Still excited for it though.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It doesn't evoke what the game actually is at all. It makes me think Italian Sports Car Test Drive.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

All I can think of seeing that name is.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GhostDog posted:

It doesn't evoke what the game actually is at all. It makes me think Italian Sports Car Test Drive.

It makes me think "Assetto Corsa"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's apparently the formal Portuguese term for race driver, so it at least makes sense. They're also saying AMS2 in place of Reiza2017 now as well so might as well get used to it. The Auto Modellista comparison is unfortunate though.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Certainly not the best name in the world but just about ANYTHING is better then Game Stock Car Extreme, heck that name was so bad it made me actively avoid buying the game. Now all we need is a French and Spanish simulator to thoroughly confuse the Anglo-Saxon world.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
On the plus side, once I update the OP it moves way up the list, which as an unabashed SCE fanboy I can agree with :)

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
That'll be good. :)
Speaking of the OP, shouldn't Project CARS AI be rated red? As off 1.4 or so ACs AI seems vastly less random in it's shunting me off track where as PC has the AI is a bit like running a destruction derby (can be pretty fun though with the damage turned off).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Certainly not the best name in the world but just about ANYTHING is better then Game Stock Car Extreme, heck that name was so bad it made me actively avoid buying the game. Now all we need is a French and Spanish simulator to thoroughly confuse the Anglo-Saxon world.

Yeah, and the name change was always the primary reason for moving to a new game instead of continuing to update SCE. Though being able to fix the trash heap that is that game's menus is probably the most important change they're making, it was never designed to deal with the amount of content they now have in there.

GhostDog posted:

On the plus side, once I update the OP it moves way up the list, which as an unabashed SCE fanboy I can agree with :)

Presumably SCE and FTruck then completely leave the OP, I don't think they should go in the older sims section. Speaking of OP updates, are you just updating it for the new year or making a new 2016 thread? I want to write some words about AI tweaking to make the second post a more complete 'how to set up your poo poo' post.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Speaking of AI... I got Assetto Corsa for this sale, and I like the driving enough, but is the AI supposed to just straight up retire at last lap in the first "career" race? I've seen a few posts reporting the issue (apparently they miscalculate the fuel amount) but they were all related to old patches like 0.9.

I mean I didn't expect a mindblowing competition from the cpu, but this is just broken.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Irae posted:

Speaking of AI... I got Assetto Corsa for this sale, and I like the driving enough, but is the AI supposed to just straight up retire at last lap in the first "career" race? I've seen a few posts reporting the issue (apparently they miscalculate the fuel amount) but they were all related to old patches like 0.9.

I mean I didn't expect a mindblowing competition from the cpu, but this is just broken.

I'm pretty sure the career mode hasn't been looked at since 1.0 meaning parts of it may not play nice in 1.4 and beyond, that said I ran through most of it in 1.2 and didn't notice anything like that so I can pretty safely say, no, no they're not supposed to do that. Honestly for singleplayer you're better served driving the special events anyway, though the game tends to be more fun when you just set it up like you want it for a session. There's a reason the game has a bazillion achievements that just about no one has unlocked.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AC's AI is also kinda bad with retirements. I did a race with a bunch of AI in GT86s at the mod version of Yas Marina and of 20 cars only 4 finished because the AI couldn't handle the first few turns. AC's AI has undoubtedly improved hugely since I got it, but I still wouldn't call it good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What sims DO have good AI?

Only modern one I haven't played is Rfactor2. To be honest I hotlap and tune a lot so I don't mess with AI races all that much.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
People will tell you rFactor 2's AI stands out and I have no reason to doubt it, but for a rather poor driver like myself R3E, SCE and rF2 all have pretty good AI. AC's getting there and Project CARS is a great simulation of a public lobby.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Do any of the steam track racing 'sims' play nice with a gamepad? I finally stopped using a keyboard for racing games with dirt rally and now that I can play that without assists, I feel like it has to be possible to get into something more fun than need for speed or grid.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dudley posted:

All I can think of seeing that name is.

Exactly what came to mind within 3 seconds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

What sims DO have good AI?

Only modern one I haven't played is Rfactor2. To be honest I hotlap and tune a lot so I don't mess with AI races all that much.

rFactor 2's AI is really good once you understand what the various settings do. The AI is capable of proper position defence, clean overtakes and running close to you through corners without spinning you out all the time. RaceRoom's AI has massively improved of late as well and SCE's is very good though slightly more prone to stupid moments.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

"njsykora" posted:

Speaking of OP updates, are you just updating it for the new year or making a new 2016 thread? I want to write some words about AI tweaking to make the second post a more complete 'how to set up your poo poo' post.

I honestly don't know. I'm planning one large update in January (either the existing OP or a new thread), then I'll be gone February through April. What does everybody think? New thread?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GhostDog posted:

I honestly don't know. I'm planning one large update in January (either the existing OP or a new thread), then I'll be gone February through April. What does everybody think? New thread?

Shiny new thread.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah might as well do a new thread.

AC mods are less relevant now as AC has quite a bit of DLC to fill in the gaps, and their fuckery seems to have dampened mod creation quite a bit. However I think I'll still update the list in the new year and call it that, maybe add the main websites to get more mods instead of updating the list continuously.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Jehde posted:

Yeah might as well do a new thread.

AC mods are less relevant now as AC has quite a bit of DLC to fill in the gaps, and their fuckery seems to have dampened mod creation quite a bit. However I think I'll still update the list in the new year and call it that, maybe add the main websites to get more mods instead of updating the list continuously.

There's some mods that should still be mentioned. I'd say the MP4/13 and the new Formula Renault mods are essential of you're a fan of open wheelers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'd say make the mod list a short list of must-have mods like the Virtua Simulazioni stuff then link to RD and the like. It'll be easier to keep up to date too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
One essential AC mod: Rainbow Road

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

GutBomb posted:

One essential AC mod: Rainbow Road

This will always be essential, along with the Reliant Robin, even if it's probably still not updated for 1.1. :negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's an interesting end of year statement from Kunos about AC in 2016. Important bits are:

- VR support is coming once the final version of Oculus is out
- AI pitstops are coming in 1.5
- Red Bull Ring, historic Silverstone and the 10k version of Monza with the oval are both coming, they're gonna finally update some of the older tracks too
- 40 new cars next year, Maserati, Audi, Nissan, Toyota, Alfa, Ferrari, McLaren, Praga (a Czech company name revived to make prototypes and supercars)
- 2015 Mustang and Corvette are both coming as free content #soon

Also Reiza posted a comparison shot of SCE and Automobilista. The difference isn't a giant leap forwards but it's certainly noticeable. The colours look a little less saturated, track surface looks better, and the lighting improvements are very noticeable on the rumble strips. That they are somehow still finding more to get out of that ancient engine is amazing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 31, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Next year is going to be so good for sims with all the VR poo poo finally dropping

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or horrible as people start discovering they're vulnerable to VR nausea and start hurling vomit all over their gaming rig because they force themselves to use it anyways.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Right, I already said it was going to be good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Next year is going to be so good for sims with all the VR poo poo finally dropping

I'm interested to see how many games that have resisted adding VR were doing so because the consumer headsets weren't out yet. That's the stated reason why AC hasn't gotten it yet, and also why it's not going to be in Automobilista at launch. Though there's also the question with VR of whether any game is going to have support for all headsets or just Oculus. While Oculus is the VR standard right now I understand it's pretty different technically from the Vive, and Vive is gonna have Valve's weight behind it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm stupid and will likely buy both headsets if I'm being honest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think vr sickness should be too bad. Higher refresh rates and less lag should help. Unless people just get motion sick which usually isn't a problem with sims with a cockpit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, a lot of VR sickness stories I've heard have been when the body feels like it should be moving. Fixed perspective stuff like racing and flight sims shouldn't be as much of an issue for that. It's really just a cost thing for me, if those headsets are under £300 then that's what a set of triples would cost so it's a fair tradeoff. Though I'll probably have to upgrade my graphics card as well.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Hopefully Project Cars can fix the garbage performance when VR is enabled. Once they put in effort to start getting VR menus, it became a slideshow when multiple cars were on screen. They don't render the whole car though, so looking around the cockpit or behind yourself in open wheel is pretty ugly. The VR support is pretty good beyond that with replays working in VR as well as all the menus.

Assetto Corsa runs smoothly and looks good, though it has not been updated for along time and you can't use any menus available that would be there when driving. So you need to set the car settings on a normal screen them restart with the Rift. Also screws you on making quick races since they start prior to the game dropping you in the drivers seat. Strangely not an issue with career races.

I didn't play much iRacing and never tried Live for Speed. So I'm not sure how those run. Eurotrucking takes a beefy system,though it is pretty great otherwise with menus and everything just working in VR, could use some polish and I'm sure it will be done with the consumer releases.

I really don't ever race without VR at this point and it is the selling point for a racing/driving game. I cannot even fathom spending the money it would take to do a triple monitor setup vs VR. I have no idea about nausea in driving games, only felt that in a few things like HL2. Could just be from poor performance, cause when it is smooth, it feels very natural.

I'm going to stick with the DK2 until I've seen both the Vive and Oculus consumer headsets though. Hopefully the Vive works with everything that the Oculus does, so there is some competition besides game support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think vr sickness should be too bad. Higher refresh rates and less lag should help. Unless people just get motion sick which usually isn't a problem with sims with a cockpit.

10 years back or so some buds and I went to one of those flight sim dogfight things with the hydraulic cockpits, one dude got so sick we had to stop the game to let him out.. his claim was he normally never gets car or seasick.

Point being it's hard to know until it hits you. :v:

Hope Oculus has a decent return policy.

• Locked thread