Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The one true Goku VA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think it's important to make this clear: the Spanish Resurrection "F" posted before was the Latin American dub, basically the best version there is of the series. No censorship or dumb changes at all, music is kept as in the original, and the voice acting is perfect in every way.

And yes, I'm saying all of this entirely out of nostalgia, but I haven't found any other version of Dragon Ball that works nearly as well. I have my fair share of problems with both the Japanese and English versions, though if I have to play a DBZ game, I'll play it in English because it means not listening to Grandma Goku, even if there's several other voices that I prefer in Japanese. But honestly? Start dubbing these games in Spanish! Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold did, and that made it go from mediocre to actually worth playing out of nostalgia. Xenoverse 2 or whatever comes next needs to do the same.

Anyways, Goku is Mario Castaņeda. If you've ever watched a Latin American dub with him in it, you'll know, because he has one voice. And said voice will always be Goku for us. Gerardo Reyero is Freezer, giving the most dangerous-sounding version of him I've heard.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Abridged Goku is the first voice that comes to mind when I think of English Goku nowadays.

This except Vegeta and Piccolo..

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think it's important to make this clear: the Spanish Resurrection "F" posted before was the Latin American dub, basically the best version there is of the series. No censorship or dumb changes at all, music is kept as in the original, and the voice acting is perfect in every way.

And yes, I'm saying all of this entirely out of nostalgia, but I haven't found any other version of Dragon Ball that works nearly as well. I have my fair share of problems with both the Japanese and English versions, though if I have to play a DBZ game, I'll play it in English because it means not listening to Grandma Goku, even if there's several other voices that I prefer in Japanese. But honestly? Start dubbing these games in Spanish! Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold did, and that made it go from mediocre to actually worth playing out of nostalgia. Xenoverse 2 or whatever comes next needs to do the same.

Anyways, Goku is Mario Castaņeda. If you've ever watched a Latin American dub with him in it, you'll know, because he has one voice. And said voice will always be Goku for us. Gerardo Reyero is Freezer, giving the most dangerous-sounding version of him I've heard.

Did this guy play Kid Goku as well? I really liked his take on the character in Resurrection F, but now I'm curious about how the Latin American dub handled the original Dragon Ball.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

Did this guy play Kid Goku as well? I really liked his take on the character in Resurrection F, but now I'm curious about how the Latin American dub handled the original Dragon Ball.

No. Kid Goku, both in the original and in GT, was played by Laura Torres. Much like the Japanese version, she also played Gohan and Goten as kids.

In fact, she was basically so important as the voice for the young Son family, that when she wasn't brought back for Battle of Gods due to in-studio problems, the fans were really mad. This in spite of nearly every VA coming back, after Kai replaced them all because Kai had an absolutely terrible dub here. This has apparently been fixed now though, with her having a cameo appearance in Resurrection "F", though of course she couldn't be Goten as Goten does not appear there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Momomo posted:

Nobody is saying Super has higher highs than Z. In fact I don't even know what the high of Super would really be, since we can only compare it to the movies right now. Quality wise only episode 5 (Goku vs Beerus on King Kai's planet) has been the worst by far, with everything else being mediocre. People say 24 was holy poo poo awful but... I'm not sure what show they watched. It wasn't good but to place it with ep 5 is just plain weird.

No, episode 24 was the worst that any Dragon Ball has been by far. The timing was bad, the models were bad, both from afar AND up close, the keyframing was horrendous, the fills were not smooth, and it used a lot more repeats and stills than other episodes on average on top of that.

I can dust off Flash and do better animation myself than many of the sections, legitimately. It's some of the worst I've ever seen in Dragon Ball.

When old episodes of Dragon Ball were bad, they typically were offmodel and had a lot of stills; but I can't think of a single episode that combined every aspect of quantifiable bad as that one. It was surprising. 25 was a bit off, but it wasn't nearly as bad as 24. 4 was bad, but at least some of the keyframing and timing was okay. I don't think anyone who has animated anything would disagree on this one.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting more than one of these masterpieces to come out.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"The video is unavailable in your country"
drat you Ford!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darko posted:

I can dust off Flash and do better animation myself than many of the sections, legitimately. It's some of the worst I've ever seen in Dragon Ball.

Put your money where your mouth is

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Namtab posted:

Seriously. I don't think you remember how bad loving DBZ was in some places.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Having watched Kai recently maybe their track record isn't that good nowadays anyway. The redrawn scenes were all universally terrible looking

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I thought they looked fine? I liked how they softened everything when somebody throws a ki blast

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
"Super can't be bad because old dbz was bad too"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People are actively saying its worse tho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not defending super btw I haven't even watched it. I just want him to put his money where his mouth is

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Super is my first ever subtitled anime and I wanna say that Goku's voice is just fine.

Furthermore Frieza's little song as he descends on the planet was better than fine. I am probably gonna sing that next time I am bringing down death and destruction from on high.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 29, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Namtab posted:

I'm not defending super btw I haven't even watched it. I just want him to put his money where his mouth is

Let's all watch the guy make a better anime with the time and budget the Super team has. He will, with his power.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm looking forward to watching super when it's dubbed if only to hear Chris Ayres do more frieza stuff. The guy just completely nails the character.

V clearly wrong opinion in this thread.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 29, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
gently caress chris ayers, linda young is frieza

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

english dub frieza is good

xenoverse made me appreciate cell more as well because that dude is just loving this poo poo

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

an opinion so wrong it makes Wickedhate's posts look brilliant

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I didn't know it was possible to be this wrong, holy poo poo.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chickenfrogman posted:

an opinion so wrong it makes Wickedhate's posts look brilliant

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are actively saying its worse tho

It is really, really bad for a series that should know how long it's going to be

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Namtab posted:

I'm not getting paid for this, so put -your- money where my mouth is and give me an applicable budget and I'll do it. Even as a bet - I'd take you up on the bet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That was not the claim ya made. Just admit you were wrong and move on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm not getting paid for this, so put -your- money where my mouth is and give me an applicable budget and I'll do it. Even as a bet - I'd take you up on the bet.
so you can't do it then. Thanks for trying to solicit goon money

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Darko posted:

so that's a no

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

If anything, the fact Toei Animation has taken on more projects than they can handle since then, means it makes sense, though doesn't make it excusable, that quality has decreased as they have trouble giving every project adequate resources. Some analyst within the company said that, with their resources, they could, at most, handle 7 shows concurrently, and they handle much more than that.

Near as I can tell, Toei Animation is working on Dragon Ball Super, Sailor Moon Crystal, One Piece, Go! Princess Pretty Cure, Robot Girls Z+, World Trigger, and Digimon Adventure tri. So that's seven shows right there, and I personally know that four of those seven are some of the worst animated shows being aired right now. They're also all, coincidently, some of the biggest names in the industry, managing to reach a global audience and capable of earning some serious money compared to the majority of anime shows being made. So I'm not sure it has anything to do with their resources being stretched thin so much as their quality levels are just really low, Toei knows they can make money on name recognition alone so they don't bother putting in more effort beyond the bare minimum required.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was not the claim ya made. Just admit you were wrong and move on

The claim is that any person who has done animation on any kind of professional level can do sections better on their own in a reasonable amount of time. No one that doesn't live in a basement with no job and unlimited time on their hands has time to do that for no profit, no. That is also obvious to anyone. Which is why I leveraged it as a monetary bet.

Namtab posted:

so you can't do it then. Thanks for trying to solicit goon money

Scared to take the bet then? :)

edit: The whole point of this is that people are defending the animation as not being that bad/being better than before. This is not true - it is absolutely terrible on any level, to the point where relative amateurs or singular animators, given enough relative time, can legitimately do better on the character animations. And especially the keyframes. Saying "I can do better" is not a bold statement; it's an obvious one from anyone who has animated to any degree, because this level of animation is so terrible on so many levels. I'm particularly mediocre, but this level of animation (24) is so far beyond mediocre that I don't even understand how it was done.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 30, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I can lift one thousand pounds over my head, and wave it about, and brag a lot about being able to do it, right up until the moment I am called on it when I become an obsequious coward.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Darko posted:

The claim is that any person who has done animation on any kind of professional level can do sections better on their own in a reasonable amount of time. No one that doesn't live in a basement with no job and unlimited time on their hands has time to do that for no profit, no. That is also obvious to anyone. Which is why I leveraged it as a monetary bet.

edit: The whole point of this is that people are defending the animation as not being that bad/being better than before. This is not true - it is absolutely terrible on any level, to the point where relative amateurs or singular animators, given enough relative time, can legitimately do better on the character animations. And especially the keyframes. Saying "I can do better" is not a bold statement; it's an obvious one from anyone who has animated to any degree, because this level of animation is so terrible on so many levels. I'm particularly mediocre, but this level of animation (24) is so far beyond mediocre that I don't even understand how it was done.

That was not the claim you made no.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Near as I can tell, Toei Animation is working on Dragon Ball Super, Sailor Moon Crystal, One Piece, Go! Princess Pretty Cure, Robot Girls Z+, World Trigger, and Digimon Adventure tri. So that's seven shows right there, and I personally know that four of those seven are some of the worst animated shows being aired right now. They're also all, coincidently, some of the biggest names in the industry, managing to reach a global audience and capable of earning some serious money compared to the majority of anime shows being made. So I'm not sure it has anything to do with their resources being stretched thin so much as their quality levels are just really low, Toei knows they can make money on name recognition alone so they don't bother putting in more effort beyond the bare minimum required.

They also have at least two live action shows in Kamen Rider Ghost and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm not defending the animation I just want to see if you can do better seeing as you claimed you could but I guess you're a money grubbing bitch lol.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Perhaps being a world famous top 10 animator, you've made something else better than Super that you could show us.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems a little weird to argue that saying they could do better than a badly animated episode of an anime is claiming to be in the top 10. Darko certainly can turn something better out. A lot of people probably can, especially if they're not working on weekly anime conditions, including probably the people on-staff there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

You are a real whiny bitch about animes. You know that?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Y'all should cut Littlefinger some slack imo. This is getting silly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Darko posted:

I think the "given enough time" is the key part here. I'm sure THOSE animators can do better, too, given enough time. The time constraint is the biggest problem to begin with, you can't just remove that from the equation. "I could totally shoot straighter than that cowboy as long as you gave me a more accurate gun than him. :colbert:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Conclusion:
Anime has always been, and will always be, bad.

Next topic:
Is Goku an outstanding or less than outstanding progenitor?

• Locked thread