Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kaethela posted:

You missed our ridiculous snowpocalypse last winter. I'm perfectly willing to take 50-60 degree winters in exchange for not getting 6 feet of snow at a time every week.

If I remember last winter correctly, there's still time for both :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

A few tickets came in last night: One of our 2 terminal servers was having issues, it got booted, and came up with a failed drive and attempting a rebuild, this was at about 7pm, at about 2am I still couldn't access the machine, and for some reason I couldn't log into the blade center to check the status. While this was happening our PDC decided to start acting up and (I'm pretty sure) caused a bunch of login issues and possibly some GP processing issues, booted that machine and it came back up fine. Glad I'm on vacation that started last night at 5pm.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

flosofl posted:

Larches, when you present your findings, as far as you are concerned there is *only* the hosted version.

Just starting out here, you do not want to add self-hosting of an open source product to your job responsibilities right now.

Pretty much. We self-host but we have an entire team dedicated to maintaining core services and honestly the only reason we self-host is because we have stupidly strict data privacy rules that dictate exactly where student information can be stored. Hosted Canvas uses AWS which violates our privacy rules some way, somehow. Its annoying as it means we end up doing a lot of stuff in-house which ideally we really wouldn't.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

flosofl posted:

Larches, when you present your findings, as far as you are concerned there is *only* the hosted version.

Just starting out here, you do not want to add self-hosting of an open source product to your job responsibilities right now.

This is the only option, for sure. Any chance I get to make it someone else's problem, I'm going for that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I had to return to being an adult this morning; poo poo is overrated.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

An internal note came in...

quote:

Their SIP trunk server has been misconfigured for the last several years. This is nothing new. I don't think you can fix it from our end - the end user needs to fix it from their end.

:stare:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot of stuff in the SIP world is old-school phone guys going "how hard can it be", as opposed to networks people learning about voice. It works out as well as you'd expect.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

A lot of stuff in the SIP world is old-school phone guys going "how hard can it be", as opposed to networks people learning about voice. It works out as well as you'd expect.

Yep. Fun fact. The stuff I support can do sip trunking, but it can't translate SIP response codes into is error/event reporting structure, so it grafts them onto the existing ISDN cause codes and assumes you will get a packet sniff somehow so you can figure out what is really going on. It will let you do its version of message tracing, but no ladder diagrams, etc. This leads to some really fun network/telecomm calls.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in: Getting disconnected on the VPN every 30 seconds.

I wish I could make fun of this user, (because I hate him) but he's right. Every 30 seconds the firewall drops 4 packets then resumes like nothing happened. Bizzaro.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

What kind of VPN and is there any jitter on the tunnel?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Check the config.xml file:
<DropPacket interval="30" amount="4"/>

Don't make a newbie mistake and set interval to "0" because that will make it drop all packets. Set it to 9999 (The maximum) and amount to "1" (the minimum.)

With those settings, you'll only lose a packet every three hours or so, and you can just tell the user that the VPN is set to last only two and a half hours.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Check the config.xml file:
<DropPacket interval="30" amount="4"/>

Don't make a newbie mistake and set interval to "0" because that will make it drop all packets. Set it to 9999 (The maximum) and amount to "1" (the minimum.)

With those settings, you'll only lose a packet every three hours or so, and you can just tell the user that the VPN is set to last only two and a half hours.

At first part of me was worried that I was in a fever dream and this was the New Real :stonk:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

The Macaroni posted:

Quoting for emphasis, and I'd also urge you to go for a cloud-based option if you can. Our previous solution was single-tenant hosting, and when things broke the vendor would say "Shucks, son, looks like it's just your environment! Sorry, we'll put out a patch sometime this century." Now that we're on multi-tenant cloud/butt hosting, it's either working or it's broken for all of North America.

The other half of that is where you reported a bug 3 years ago and its still not fixed. You don't have access to the source code :)

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for rolling it yourself. Just it has its own advantages.

Edit: Just to add some content. We use kayako and have required fields in tickets. If you edit a ticket in a queue and forget to fill in the required field? I throws out all of your edits, and lets you know after its thrown them all out. "hey, you need to enter the required field". I mean there are 3 parts to this, why can't I set it to be required by only customers, why doesn't it stop me from even saving the changes, and lastly how did this pass as an acceptable function??

Bonus points, if you change the email field and some how have an invalid character like a . or ; or , in the wrong place/at all, it just silently discards your request change and says the edit went through okay. I've accidently sent coworkers responses since they were forwarded tickets into the system.

Oh right, if an uploaded file gets removed, and its still cached in google for some reason. The server continues to return a 200 status and display a not pretty error message. This will never go away, until they fix the bug.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 30, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Ouf, yeah. And the guys supporting digital radio are old school radio-heads, not digital natives.

:eng101:"Hey, your system stopped sending us tagging information about transmissions at <timestamp>, looks like you need to restart some integration service."
:downs: "Uh, radio transmissions seem to be working fine."
:eng101: "Yeah, but we're not getting any xml-messages about them, so our systems don't know that."
:downs: "Uh, I'm not sure. Uh. I'll ask around."

Every week. Every drat week this happens in some form, and their first line still can't wrap their heads around the fact that radio can be integrated with anything by any other means than DTMF-tones.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"We have a mission critical issue, can you come in at 6AM to fix it because we need to get production started at 630AM."

I got here at 6, fixed the problem by 610, and have been sitting with my feet up since. Good thing I'm still paid hourly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kashuno posted:

"We have a mission critical issue, can you come in at 6AM to fix it because we need to get production started at 630AM."

I got here at 6, fixed the problem by 610, and have been sitting with my feet up since. Good thing I'm still paid hourly.

They gave you an adequate change window too.

A Long Time Ago, In Network Far Far Away:

:byodood: "OK, you have from 2AM to 4AM local"
:eng101: "Um... The minimum time needed is 2 hours, and that's if everything goes right"
:byodood: "We have faith it will be fine."
:eng101: "Something went wrong every step of the way to this abortion of a change, but whatever. I assume I can backout at 4 AM if it doesn't finish?"
:byodood: "WHAT? NO! IT ALL HAS TO BE PRODUCTION READY BY 4AM"

:catbert: "The Wires group is saying you're unable to do your job. You need to learn to work within the parameters given"
:psyduck:

Fortunately, the Change Review Board had my back. But I learned my boss didn't. I wasn't long for that place after that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

:suicide:

Today is my first day back after 2 weeks. 74 missed calls but no voicemails, so that's nice.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I basically came in at 6am to clear a printer queue. It was a little more complicated than that because it's software for a scale that is really really badly written and has its own print queue that doesn't really talk to Windows, but still.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Rawrbomb posted:

The other half of that is where you reported a bug 3 years ago and its still not fixed. You don't have access to the source code :)

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for rolling it yourself. Just it has its own advantages.
True, the sword swings both ways. But having lived on both sides of that fence, being able to point at the vendor's hosting in a multi-tenant environment gives me a lot of breathing room. (Particularly when I was not the decisionmaker on choosing the vendor.)

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
"Tile crashed on the Xerox. There is water all over it. It won't turn on since, need it back up and running ASAP. This is affecting patient care."

Yo that poo poo is fried and you're probably buying out the lease thanks!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I know it's a meaningless buzzphrase, but goddamn, if a photocopier is affecting patient care, and/or you're careless enough around things that affect patient care to spill water on it, I don't want to be your loving patient. :stare:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

AlphaKretin posted:

I know it's a meaningless buzzphrase, but goddamn, if a photocopier is affecting patient care, and/or you're careless enough around things that affect patient care to spill water on it, I don't want to be your loving patient. :stare:

The account I support has 1,334 machines. I am solely responsible for 534 of them. There are others they can use, 4 of them in the same department.

However, getting the machines on Cerner tables is no easy task, and if that's the only machine in the department on a Cerner table I can kinda see where they're coming from. Still, a pipe bursting above the machine and dousing it isn't going to be fixed any quicker (or probably at all) by putting that phrase in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oyster posted:

"Tile crashed on the Xerox. There is water all over it. It won't turn on since, need it back up and running ASAP. This is affecting patient care."

Yo that poo poo is fried and you're probably buying out the lease thanks!

"Closing Ticket: Xerox doesn't use Tile processors."

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A ticket came in: "E-mails from this domain are showing up hours after they said they were made."
Resolution: "E-mail didn't arrive to e-mail gateway until hours after e-mail was generated. Issue is on sender's side. Will address with sender's IT group if they contact us."

This ticket has been re-created 5 times now. The last one had every exec in the company CC'd. I called the ticket creator expressing my frustration.

:j: "Well this is a huge issue."
:v: "Have you asked the sender to talk to their IT department and given my contact info to help resolve it?"
:j: "No."

:fuckoff:

Then,

:v: Over IM - "Your account has been enabled. You'll need to contact the Help Desk if you need your password reset."
:j: Calls my direct line.
:v: Over IM - "Please call the Help Desk to reset your password."
:j: Calls the Help Desk, then asks for my direct line to reset her password.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:v: Over IM - "Your account has been enabled. You'll need to contact the Help Desk if you need your password reset."
:j: Calls my direct line.
:v: Over IM - "Please call the Help Desk to reset your password."
:j: Calls the Help Desk, then asks for my direct line to reset her password.

So you its your responsibility to enable the account but taking the few moments to reset her password or take her phone call was too much? :jerkbag:

Even if your company has this security protocol where the helpdesk needs to confirm their identity or whatever, pick up the phone and stop being a clown. There is a difference between following protocol and going out of your way to be a dick.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Sickening posted:

So you its your responsibility to enable the account but taking the few moments to reset her password or take her phone call was too much? :jerkbag:

Even if your company has this security protocol where the helpdesk needs to confirm their identity or whatever, pick up the phone and stop being a clown. There is a difference between following protocol and going out of your way to be a dick.

Identification over the phone, yep. I was on the phone already.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

flosofl posted:

Do all the MSPs you guys work for not have Statements of Work and signed contracts with the customers that detail what exactly you deliver and what the SLAs are? Because every one I've worked with has had everything defined as to what the SLAs are for each severity level, what a sev 1 event is, and what is covered when the contract is signed.

Nope. The last place I worked was an MSP. My training consisted of "Here's a computer, here's your login information, start answering calls" and our responsibility was doing everything we could so the customer wouldn't complain, including fixing personal devices and allowing them to bitch about whatever stupid thing they wanted because if we didn't, they all had our CEO's personal cell phone number so they would call at whatever ungodly hour of the day in order to complain, and poo poo rolls downhill... So, I think we were a therapy service, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

high six posted:

Nope. The last place I worked was an MSP. My training consisted of "Here's a computer, here's your login information, start answering calls" and our responsibility was doing everything we could so the customer wouldn't complain, including fixing personal devices and allowing them to bitch about whatever stupid thing they wanted because if we didn't, they all had our CEO's personal cell phone number so they would call at whatever ungodly hour of the day in order to complain, and poo poo rolls downhill... So, I think we were a therapy service, too.

Did we work at the same place?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I have worked there as well

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Did we work at the same place?

Do you live in North Carolina?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Same here. I had to go to a client's daughter's apartment to pick up her at-that-time-drat-near-ancient XPS laptop to see what was wrong with it.

One fuxored HDD later, same to return it.

They were an hourly client that never really used us.

we never actually billed them in hopes of getting them to purchase a block time plan

tl;dr gently caress small NYC MSPs.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A voicemail came in! :nws: for language if you are worried about that sort of thing

http://tindeck.com/listen/meqxt

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

A voicemail came in! :nws: for language if you are worried about that sort of thing

http://tindeck.com/listen/meqxt

Somebody give me the short and sweet so I don't have to wait until lunch to hear this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:bahgawd: Mah internets don' fuckin' werk

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Somebody give me the short and sweet so I don't have to wait until lunch to hear this.

A phone call to an ISP about their internet being down and saying loving every other word. It is pretty loving boring.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

He mad.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
And more to the point, he says he doesn't have an account number because he never got a bill. I'm going to take a wild guess as to why his internet was down...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: do the needful ya fuckin piece-a fuckin poo poo

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Oyster posted:

However, getting the machines on Cerner tables is no easy task, and if that's the only machine in the department on a Cerner table I can kinda see where they're coming from.

Word up Cerner supporting buddy. The more I work with Cerner, the more... "fun" I have. We have Cernerworks support for server/OS stuff. They recently crashed our PROD domain in firey flames when their DBA hosed up adding extra disk space to the cluster. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

DroneRiff posted:

Word up Cerner supporting buddy. The more I work with Cerner, the more... "fun" I have. We have Cernerworks support for server/OS stuff. They recently crashed our PROD domain in firey flames when their DBA hosed up adding extra disk space to the cluster. Yay!

I'm thankfully strictly printer hardware/firmware, don't touch Cerner or print queues or anything of the like, but our Cerner was recently outsourced to Kansas. I'm in Michigan. Getting anything done with that is a nightmare. And of course, if Cerner crashes anywhere causing nothing to print I'm the first called.

• Locked thread