Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's like some kind of flying battleship.

I always wonder what the filmmaker thought when he saw his prop for the first time. I imagine it was "Ah poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
An evil turkey vulture could be kind of cool but good gravy.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
High quality gravy that is also evil.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

An evil turkey vulture could be kind of cool but good gravy.

Compare to the canonical vulture horror, made by children and recently found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IF2jZZ806g

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
As far as giant death vulture/turkeys go, the 2 headed roc from 7th Voyage of Sinbad is head(s) and shoulders above the rest.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Glamorama26 posted:

I always wonder what the filmmaker thought when he saw his prop for the first time. I imagine it was "Ah poo poo."

Yeah the effects were outsourced to a Mexican firm and when the movie premiered, yikes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone here seen Bone Tomahawk? I just did and thought it was pretty drat sweet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Drunkboxer posted:

Has anyone here seen Bone Tomahawk? I just did and thought it was pretty drat sweet.

If Kurt Russell has a mustache the movie owns.

If Kurt Russell doesn't have a mustache the movie owns but just slightly less.

This is the first law of filmmaking.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If Kurt Russell has a mustache the movie owns.

If Kurt Russell doesn't have a mustache the movie owns but just slightly less.

This is the first law of filmmaking.

Yo Kurt Russell doesn't have a mustache in Escape From New York and that's my favorite movie

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm the only person who didn't like it. I think you can find my posts about why earlier in the thread.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yo Kurt Russell doesn't have a mustache in Escape From New York and that's my favorite movie

Escape from New York owns. But Kurt Russell has a mustache in The Thing which is better.

Argument destroyed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Mustacheless Russel in Big Trouble in Little China. The law makes no sense.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snak posted:

I'm the only person who didn't like it. I think you can find my posts about why earlier in the thread.

Did you not like the part where the cowboy got hit with a bone tomahawk?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Did you not like the part where the cowboy got hit with a bone tomahawk?

Did not have a problem with that. If you read my posts, my problems were 90% with awkward and unnecessary dialogue. I feel like you could go through and cut ~10 minutes of unnecessary poo poo and make the movie really good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

wyoming posted:

Mustacheless Russel in Big Trouble in Little China. The law makes no sense.

I have not seen Elvis, but Big Trouble In Little China is the best Carpenter/Russell movie I've seen, so this checks out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I have not seen Elvis, but Big Trouble In Little China is the best Carpenter/Russell movie I've seen, so this checks out.

I just watched this again like two days ago. It's so good.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Go watch The Thing.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Cinema Discusso › Gimme Blood: What are some peoples favorite giant turkey vulture scenes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Glamorama26 posted:

As far as giant death vulture/turkeys go, the 2 headed roc from 7th Voyage of Sinbad is head(s) and shoulders above the rest.

All Harryhausen monsters own.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snak posted:

I just watched this again like two days ago. It's so good.

Even though Halloween is easily Carpenter's best film, Big Trouble might be my favorite one to watch. It's just so drat fun.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Go watch The Thing.

I've seen the Thing, I prefer Big Trouble.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

All Harryhausen monsters own.

Its because the guy was a true filmmaker, not just a monster guy. He knew the craft and took everything into account when he designed his monsters. He knew what would work and what wouldn't, while also pushing the techniques to their limit every chance he got.

A lot of creatures in today's films could easily be done in stop-motion animation(Dynamation!) if there was the same amount of care and effort as Harryhausen put in. Nobody wants to do it though because its tedious as hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Even though Halloween is easily Carpenter's best film, Big Trouble might be my favorite one to watch. It's just so drat fun.

The Thing is hand's down his best film.

Fake edit: I started writing this post after reading the first half of your first sentence. That's pretty fair.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If we're not talking about "best", then my favorite Carpenter film will forever be The Fog. I love the setting, the premise, the characters, everything about it really.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You know what, Halloween doesn't do a whole lot for me. I can appreciate its strengths and how influential it is but the horror and suspense don't click with me and I have a hard time getting sucked into the mood of the film. Without those elements getting to me it doesn't make for a very enjoyable watch.

I like the rest of what I've seen him do but I'll also admit that I haven't come close to seeing even half of his films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I like the rest of what I've seen him do but I'll also admit that I haven't come close to seeing even half of his films.

If you have not already, please watch the following ASAP:

The Fog
Starman
Prince of Darkness
They Live
Bonus: Halloween III(Carpenter's fingerprints all over it but he didn't direct.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, Starman was a John Carpenter film? Holy poo poo I haven't seen that in like 20 years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Wait, Starman was a John Carpenter film? Holy poo poo I haven't seen that in like 20 years.

The guy is/was an incredibly versatile director. Much more so than he ever got credit for.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

The Fog
Starman
Prince of Darkness
They Live
Bonus: Halloween III(Carpenter's fingerprints all over it but he didn't direct.)

Carpenter's '78-'88 run is fantastic, and all the films there are worth checking out. Halloween III is a good pick because it's what Carpenter wanted for the series, an anthology series with different stories about Halloween night.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The Fog
Starman
Prince of Darkness
They Live

Challenge accepted, I have the rest of the week off so let's see how much I can plow through.

Anything post-1990 of his you/anyone would recommend?

e: I've seen They Live but it's been at least 15 years so I think it's time for another pass

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Challenge accepted, I have the rest of the week off so let's see how much I can plow through.

e: I've seen They Live but it's been at least 15 years so I think it's time for another pass

Personally yes, I really enjoy Vampires, but not everyone agrees. Ghosts of Mars is really only good if you enjoy seeing all the various High Noon remakes that have been done over the years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Adlai Stevenson posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is pretty great. I liked Vampires at the time but just tried a rewatch and oof.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The guy is/was an incredibly versatile director. Much more so than he ever got credit for.

I mean, you don't have to tell me, I love the guy. I haven't close to watched all of his films though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is pretty great. I liked Vampires at the time but just tried a rewatch and oof.

Haha poo poo I forgot about In the Mouth of Madness. Carpenter has made so many good films its really difficult to list them all by memory.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

I'll second the recommendation for In the Mouth of Madness. Between that and Wes Craven's New Nightmare, 1994 was a good year for meta-fictional horror.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 30, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Personally yes, I really enjoy Vampires, but not everyone agrees. Ghosts of Mars is really only good if you enjoy seeing all the various High Noon remakes that have been done over the years.

Ghosts of Mars isn't a remake of High Noon, it's one of Carpenter's riffs on Rio Bravo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Ghosts of Mars isn't a remake of High Noon, it's one of Carpenter's riffs on Rio Bravo.

Eh, its all the same really. Rio Bravo was an answer by Hawks and Wayne to High Noon, which they found to be un-American or something.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, if we're playing the "favorite JC film, not his best one" I'm going with In The Mouth of Madness. I love meta-horror like this. He went back to that well on a much smaller scale with his Masters of Horror episode "Cigarette Burns" that I also thought was pretty great.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

So I think In The Mouth of Madness wins the post-90's recommendation award.

I'll try to dribble out a reaction to this slate of movies as it happens.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Whatever you do don't watch Escape from L.A.

If anyone else had made it, it would be one of my favorite bad movies. But because it's Carpenter it feels so sad. Like seeing Harrison Ford shuffling around in Spielberg's god awful Crystal Skull levels of sad. Phantom Menace sad. Blues Brothers 2000 sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Thinking about it, my holes in Carpenter's filmography are few, but gaping. I've not seen Elvis of course (seriously, who has?) and somehow I still haven't seen Vampire$ or Assault on Precinct 13.

I'm surprised The Eyes of Laura Mars never gets any love. Carpenter wrote it but didn't direct it. It's star-studded and plays out very much like a US studio trying to jump on the Giallo bandwagon that had recently taken off in Italy. Like, it's a very well done Giallo, American Style.