Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Anyone have experience with replacement parts from Sierra Madre? Two of my Pax Pamir cards are miscut.

edit: Phil responded to my email in nine minutes. Must have caught him at a good time.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

cenotaph posted:

Anyone have experience with replacement parts from Sierra Madre? Two of my Pax Pamir cards are miscut.

edit: Phil responded to my email in nine minutes. Must have caught him at a good time.

I put in an order for the deluxe board for Pamir and he marked it as shipped within an hour.

Christmas plays:

Isle of Skye - Great light game with plenty of meaningful choice. It's a tile-laying game like Carcassonne, only each round everyone draws three tiles out of the bag and lines them up in front of their player shield. Behind, each player uses his money to secretly set prices on two of the tiles and mark the third to be trashed. When everyone's done, reveal. Everyone, in turn order, may buy one tile from another player for the displayed price. Then everyone buys their unsold tiles, paying the bank. Place, score, repeat 5 more times. Scoring each game is different Kingdom-Builder-style. Sweet, simple, great.

Planes - Simple mancala-style game. I understand the pun of "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles" but Planes is such a random, simple game anyone who buys this hoping for a Trains-like level of strategy is going to just get angry at AEG. They should've branded it in a non-Trains style. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Pax Pamir - oh hey it's a Phil Eklund! and my actual christmas gift (the others are a friend's presents). Feels like a combination of TtA (market row cards to buy and add to your tableau for bonus actions) + 8-Minute Empire (market row cards let you do a thing) + King of Siam (winner is the player with most influence with the empire that "wins"). It'll take another play or two to wrap my head around it (and find the glaring holes in Phil's player aids), but it's gonna be a good one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

zandert33 posted:

Part of planning for anything to do with money starts with planning out the costs. The fact is the campaign should have never begun if he didn't have the means to do anything to progress it. His main argument is that "big companies use Kickstarter as a store front, so the little guy can't succeed", what does that have to do with providing regular updates, reaching out to reviewers to try to get them to get previews done (long before the Kickstarter launches, not while the campaign is happening), or setting up some advertising on BBG? Sure there would be a cost to doing some of those things, but did he just think people were going to stumble into the Kickstarter without having any clue what it was?

I really don't want to make this into a thing, so I'll not dig this up again unless Broken Loose truly feels I'm misrepresenting what happened. I hope when he launches again he takes what he hopefully learned from the last time and uses it to help run a good campaign wherever he goes.

BGG ad price: $1 per 1,000 impressions spread over a month, minimum of 500,000 impressions. 800k purchase comes with 50k bonus impressions on the frontpage lower window. For each 500k purchase, may purchase a 24 hour takeover of the front page banner for $200. ($500 minimum, $700 if I want the front page at all)
Review copy setup cost: Complete cost to finish all non-production aspects of the game. If I go by the budget laid out in the campaign, $4,000.
Review copy implementation and production: Supposing 5 review copies (because I'd expect Dice Tower to hate the game), $150ish for cards/board/cubes/tiles/box, $400ish for the chips because economies of scale absolutely kills poker chip costs. Then shipping, at least 2 copies internationally (thanks Rahdo and SUSD!) which I'm expecting to be another $100.
New camera + lighting + audio setup for video, or rental fees: $400.

Just under $6k so far, off the top of my head.This is assuming bare minimum, advertising only on a single site, and no running demos at conventions. Gen Con alone would add another grand easily not counting demo copy production.

I'm not stupid. I knew there were potential costs going in, and I did plan out the possible requirements and alternatives. It doesn't mean that I had the money at the time, nor does planning magically create money. I believed in a just world fallacy for a moment long enough because of the encouragement of a lot of people who believed in me and understood that I have an actually good product (and in spite of a weird cult of hatred for me whose existence I can't really explain other than simple large scale notoriety). A good product and a blog + forum (on many forums) + social media + podcast push with a playable demo made for a significant amount of progress, and it was absolutely worthwhile to have seen that demonstrated. Of course, according to you, I didn't actually do any of that, and the money I did see was just imaginary.

What do you want me to say? That advertising doesn't cost money and that I made it up? That complete review copies in hand are not required, free to make, and/or not the result of companies using crowdfunding sites as a storefront for already produced merchandise? That if you completely ignore the state of crowdfunding as it used to be then my points about how it changed are invalid? The only point you've actually made without contradicting yourself is "you should never have launched" but I don't believe that and I won't give idiots the satisfaction of pretending it's true. Do you want me to say my name backwards which will cause me to die?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I thought if you said Bloose in a dark bathroom 3 times you'd appear in the mirror and insult their games collection.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
"Broken Loose should not have started a Kickstarter campaign" implies that something meaningfully negative came of it. Other than being annoyed on SA what's the problem here? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? If he never did the kickstarter he never would have gotten the experience of running the kickstarter and his chance to succeed would have gone from >0 to 0.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

The General posted:

I thought if you said Bloose in a dark bathroom 3 times you'd appear in the mirror and insult their games collection.

if you do the campaign again, Broken Loose, this should be the whale pledge level

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Renaissance Wars Pretty cool game with gorgeous assets and themeing, basically playing rounds of whist for points with some added extra stuff on top pretty simple to play when you get down to it. The biggest problem is how analysis paralysis the game can get: It said 60-95 minutes and we took 3+ hours for our first game because people were humming and hawwing about certain types of action. Still want to buy my own copy thought.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I just bought Baseball Highlights: 2045. Am I going to regret my decision?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Next time hopefully Rahdo's prototype won't get lost in the mail.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Scyther posted:

Next time hopefully Rahdo's prototype won't get lost in the mail.

It was just a cheap PnP version, anyway. No big material loss.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

(and in spite of a weird cult of hatred for me whose existence I can't really explain other than simple large scale notoriety)

I don't know what your "large scale notoriety" is, all I know about you is what you post here. And while I may have said I hate you several times, I don't actually hate you or wish you ill, I just think you're annoying. You have a weird mixture of self-pity and hyper-confidence that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way. This post actually embodies both those qualities - you attribute your problems to bad luck and mysterious cosmic forces (big companies are jerks, people hate me for no reason), and you're too bizarrely confident to admit you might have screwed some stuff up yourself.

quote:

A good product and a blog + forum (on many forums) + social media + podcast push

I don't know what you did in other forums, but on Kickstarter you didn't do much in the way of updates. Whole thing seemed to go silent a couple weeks in. At very least, I think you would have got away with spamming some more links here (and definitely on KS) to podcasts or whatever other mystery stuff you did. And while the product may be good, you didn't show it well. There was a real paucity of final art done (or at least, shown on the page) and you also threw some stuff on the page that made you look incompetent (particularly some of your terrible half-done art at the bottom - weird sketched figure studies and crap - but in general the design just wasn't great). You should have had more final'ish art from the game done to show (even now, there's only a couple images up on Board Game Geek). This is important particularly in a project like this; every character you make is going to have a chance of resonating with different people - being able to show a whole pantheon of cool enemies/characters is going to sell people on your world. Anyway, I think you have the skills to have put up a much better KS page than you did.

As to the other stuff - advertising mostly - I think the "low hanging fruit" would have been distributing review copies. The costs you listed in your post are much higher than they needed to be; you don't need to spend $400 on Poker chips, you can buy cheap sets at Walmart that should be ~10 cents a chip. Use regular cardboard boxes with home-printed paper stuck on. Make prototype cards out of paper and penny-sleeves. Send it out to whatever reviewers are cheap to get to and will get you some views. If your game is solid, it'll survive the negative first impression of being a cheap homemade prototype.

I don't think you made a mistake in going to KS, but I think with a little more effort you would have been successful; the whole thing wasn't a waste, of course, but you wasted a chance.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 30, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Help, I need another card drafting game like Sushi Go. My group played 20 hands in a row the other day and they still hungered for more. I'm dying.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

It was just a cheap PnP version, anyway. No big material loss.

Nah, but it would have been a nice bit of publicity.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

jmzero posted:

I don't know what you did in other forums, but on Kickstarter you didn't do much in the way of updates. Whole thing seemed to go silent a couple weeks in. At very least, I think you would have got away with spamming some more links here (and definitely on KS) to podcasts or whatever other mystery stuff you did. And while the product may be good, you didn't show it well. There was a real paucity of final art done (or at least, shown on the page) and you also threw some stuff on the page that made you look incompetent (particularly some of your terrible half-done art at the bottom - weird sketched figure studies and crap - but in general the design just wasn't great). You should have had more final'ish art from the game done to show (even now, there's only a couple images up on Board Game Geek). This is important particularly in a project like this; every character you make is going to have a chance of resonating with different people - being able to show a whole pantheon of cool enemies/characters is going to sell people on your world. Anyway, I think you have the skills to have put up a much better KS page than you did.

As to the other stuff - advertising mostly - I think the "low hanging fruit" would have been distributing review copies. The costs you listed in your post are much higher than they needed to be; you don't need to spend $400 on Poker chips, you can buy cheap sets at Walmart that should be ~10 cents a chip. Use regular cardboard boxes with home-printed paper stuck on. Make prototype cards out of paper and penny-sleeves. Send it out to whatever reviewers are cheap to get to and will get you some views. If your game is solid, it'll survive the negative first impression of being a cheap homemade prototype.

I don't think you made a mistake in going to KS, but I think with a little more effort you would have been successful; the whole thing wasn't a waste, of course, but you wasted a chance.

I actually got probated for spamming links here! In the loving ADTRW Super Robot Anime thread, no less. And it was only 1 link. Not very encouraging to have happen.

I mean, I can see how it looks like I'm not taking responsibility in places, but part of the "the landscape has changed" statements are a point of recognition that I went into this venture ill-equipped. It's equally frustrating from my perspective seeing all the feedback from people and having to judge which conflicting feedback to consider-- do I update 3 times a day every day with "I'm running a campaign and there's nothing new to report" or do I only update twice a week with actual updates? (I was criticized on both during the campaign) Do I make a lovely review copy that generates bad publicity, or do I not spend the time/money on those prototype components and suck up the difference? The only real solution I can see right now is, when I relaunch, to compete on the same grounds as everybody else, which requires a year's worth of rent money at the very least (even if I cut corners on the higher-quality components).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

do I update 3 times a day every day with "I'm running a campaign and there's nothing new to report" or do I only update twice a week with actual updates?

Your campaign lasted 4 weeks and 2 days. 3 times a day would have been 90 updates. Twice a week would have been around 9. I think those are both too extreme - I'm thinking 15 to 30 total updates would have made sense. You did 7. You needed more of them, and more material in them.

quote:

(I was criticized on both during the campaign)

Whoever said you were updating too much was... uh... nuts. I've never backed a KS that updated as seldom as you did.

quote:

Do I make a lovely review copy that generates bad publicity...?

Yes. Well, to the first part anyway - the second part is mostly negative imagining. You needed any eyeballs you could get. I'm under the impression that people did the print and play version and liked it. Surely you could have matched that level of production quality for cheap? Surely some reviewers would have enjoyed this version? And who cares if some people may have been turned off by the component quality - would they have bought negative copies of your game? Most people are not ever going to like Final Attack, no matter what it looks like - while other people would have latched right on if they'd ever seen it anywhere. If you can't get the people in the middle who might consider it if it looked high quality, then forget them. Obviously you don't want to go out of your way to piss people off or something, but "bad publicity" is much less likely to sink a project like this than "too little publicity".

Your reading of all this stuff seems way too pessimistic.

quote:

I actually got probated for spamming links here! In the loving ADTRW Super Robot Anime thread, no less.

OK, that's really lame, and I wouldn't have expected that (I don't know that forum or its rules or whatever, but that sucks).

quote:

The only real solution I can see right now is, when I relaunch, to compete on the same grounds as everybody else, which requires a year's worth of rent money at the very least (even if I cut corners on the higher-quality components).

Your budget calls for a bunch of advertising on BoardGameGeek. It'd be great (and you would have hit your funding goal with an advertising spend like this), but I don't think you can effectively afford it, and I don't think you need it. You were close as it stood - close enough that a single other good source of publicity might have been enough. I don't think you need a year's rent, you need 3 months more of committed effort. I'm not saying that's easy (God knows my own projects progress mighty slow) but it's doable if you really want to.

(To be clear: I'm intending all this stuff to be tough-love-encouragement-you-can-do-a-bit-better-and-succeed in tone, not insulting or something. Like, the moral you should be taking from your first try shouldn't be "I'll never succeed without spending a bunch more money", it should be "If I do everything a bit better, and get a couple positive reviews, I should be able to clear the bar this time").

jmzero fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 30, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Azran posted:

Help, I need another card drafting game like Sushi Go. My group played 20 hands in a row the other day and they still hungered for more. I'm dying.

7 Wonders is Sushi Go with +50% complexity. Between 2 Cities is Sushi Go with a spatial component and a little bit of teamwork (but still only 1 winner).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I finally did it. I finally played a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill. The game itself is as dogshit as everyone here has said. Literally a dozen times or so where the fidgety rules slowed stuff down. Everything felt random as poo poo. The guy who triggered the haunt and became the traitor was also the only guy who managed to power up at all, but luckily an equally random series of events made him lose.

In spite of all of that I still had a good time playing, even though it is absolutely not a well designed game. The 1 hour stated time on the box was exceeded by 100%.

It reminds me of a Bethesda open world RPG: trying to do so much, that none of it really works well. I would play it again, but I think it's going to have to be a once a year type thing for me.

Also played some Mall of Horror, which was a lot more fun than I remembered it being.

Got two more games of Mysterium in. Even with easy rules in place, and not using Clairvoyance our group never even made it to the final stage (we cheated and did the final stage, but technically we never came close to winning). I'm not sure if I should attribute that to the difficulty of the game, or the lack of skill / cohesion in the group.

Also got in a few games of Ludwig in. I'm happy that it was a huge hit, so I should be getting it to the table more.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I played Container this weekend and was reminded of a couple of things.

For one, this out-of-print, high-demand grail-game is one of the very few I would say is worth getting. It's shameful that the publisher hosed up so royally that the promise of a reprint of Container is basically buried under legal shenanigans. There simply is no better player trading game. I was expecting a complex economic game more along the lines of 18XX style stuff when I played this one, instead Container is a simple ruleset with minimal luck-factor resulting in a unique experience that hasn't been replicated in anything else I've seen.

Thankfully, that this game is as great as it is out-of-print is one thing I was reminded of; the other is that this game's components are minimal enough to make a really easy print and play project.

If you're interested in a 90 minute economic euro that has an unparalleled amount of player trading, by god either get or make a copy of Container. It's good.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Trynant posted:

I played Container this weekend and was reminded of a couple of things.

For one, this out-of-print, high-demand grail-game is one of the very few I would say is worth getting. It's shameful that the publisher hosed up so royally that the promise of a reprint of Container is basically buried under legal shenanigans. There simply is no better player trading game. I was expecting a complex economic game more along the lines of 18XX style stuff when I played this one, instead Container is a simple ruleset with minimal luck-factor resulting in a unique experience that hasn't been replicated in anything else I've seen.

Thankfully, that this game is as great as it is out-of-print is one thing I was reminded of; the other is that this game's components are minimal enough to make a really easy print and play project.

If you're interested in a 90 minute economic euro that has an unparalleled amount of player trading, by god either get or make a copy of Container. It's good.

I have Container and the expansion!

But...my copy only arrived with 4 of the cool ship models, instead of 5. Back when the game was in print I emailed the publisher, who promised to send a replacement, but never did. When I followed up...the game was out of print.

After reading your review I despair of ever getting that 5th ship model.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Container is amazing and also can be hilarious. Nothing like watching a bunch of cheap and greedy people crash the economy and having to stop the game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Nothing about Nippon feels in any way new or unique but it's a solid mid-heavy WP. The art is atrocious though, I can't believe they went from the beautiful prerelease stuff to that. The board is even uglier than the box.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

sector_corrector posted:

Also played some Mall of Horror, which was a lot more fun than I remembered it being.

City of Horror is such a great, lean game that propels itself entirely on setting up a scenario where a group of friends must become cutthroat monsters to one another for 45 minutes, and then letting them go at each other.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Played Codenames and Avalon yesterday. My girlfriend's family is not good at games :(

Between loyal players failing missions and handing back their unused vote cards face up in Avalon, and most of the spymasters in Codenames only giving 1 word clues, we aborted pretty quickly.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I've never had a board game get played so incessantly as Code Names.

Since Christmas Day, we've played it probably 15 times. It's like board game crack.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has there ever been a fan effort to fix the lovely parts of Betrayal? Two things I can think of off hand would be turning your character into a deck of cards, and drawing cards to make checks (which would get rid of the odious roll-based combat) and having super specific visual guides to combats, as well as a more extensive almanac to handle all of the edge cases (which would help a little with the fidgety ruleset). Overall, revamping the check system might help both problems.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

My copy of Codenames arrived yesterday :bubblewoop:. I'm going to try it out first with four people New Year's Eve, then with about 10 or so on New Year's Day. I have saved myself from playing UNO and Taboo (hopefully :ohdear:)

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The General posted:

Container is amazing and also can be hilarious. Nothing like watching a bunch of cheap and greedy people crash the economy and having to stop the game.

Yeah, if there's a flaw to Container it's that with the 100% player-driven economy; the game's flow of money can lead to player's locked out of cash to the point that the game can't finish. The one note here is that this result is basically an amalgamate of awful player choices that borders on deliberate sabotage. When I teach the game I emphasize that the only way more money is taken from the bank to the players is through auctions; and to not stall doing them.

EDIT: Also the theme of Container is as barebones euro as it gets. You're selling and shipping Containers for the most money. That's it.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 30, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Nothing about Nippon feels in any way new or unique but it's a solid mid-heavy WP. The art is atrocious though, I can't believe they went from the beautiful prerelease stuff to that. The board is even uglier than the box.

What's Your Game? likes their graphic design and artwork to look as busy as possible. They are the Euro'est.

I'm kind of glad Vital Lacerda of Vinhos fame (or infamy depending on how much you appreciate a truly heavy euro that may play too quickly for the rules you learn) went with different publishers for his later games. CO2 and The Gallerist are especially beautiful.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nippon played alright but felt like a dry boring euro with a dry boring euro theme and the mechanisms weren't as great as caylus, Le Havre or brass to make it stand out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trynant posted:

Yeah, if there's a flaw to Container it's that with the 100% player-driven economy; the game's flow of money can lead to player's locked out of cash to the point that the game can't finish. The one note here is that this result is basically an amalgamate of awful player choices that borders on deliberate sabotage. When I teach the game I emphasize that the only way more money is taken from the bank to the players is through auctions; and to not stall doing them.

EDIT: Also the theme of Container is as barebones euro as it gets. You're selling and shipping Containers for the most money. That's it.

Honestly, I really loved the one play of Container I got in, and I should really bug the owner to play again. Very lean game, but less arithmetic than, say, power grid.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Nippon played alright but felt like a dry boring euro with a dry boring euro theme and the mechanisms weren't as great as caylus, Le Havre or brass to make it stand out.

This reminds me how much I love Ora & Labora of Rosenberg's designs (though Agricola is slowly becoming my favorite), yet I yearn for some fantasy where it's reprinted with a far more ergonomic design (i.e. better boards and larger cards that can actually be read at a glance on other player boards like the game requires). One can dream :smith:

I can at least appreciate that Nippon doesn't default to outright worker placement design that so, so many euros base their game on.

EDIT:

silvergoose posted:

Honestly, I really loved the one play of Container I got in, and I should really bug the owner to play again. Very lean game, but less arithmetic than, say, power grid.

Download the rules and make a print and play. Though the published game has great components (though there are some strange printing errors that have no gameplay impact), looking at the simple design I can't imagine it requiring much effort at all to make a passable, self-made copy. Considering the alternative is paying $150 or more for an out-of-print game; Container is worth it.

Seriously this game should be held on the regards Agricola and Dominion are as a great euro. The publishers dropped the ball so horribly.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 30, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can someone point me to the rules of Container and possibly detail how to make a copy? I'm intrigued.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Can someone point me to the rules of Container and possibly detail how to make a copy? I'm intrigued.

boardgamegeek provides the rules as always

Here's someone's print-and-play files

As far as print and play, you'd need:
  • some way to denote money (poker chips, paper money); components that can easily be used for blind bids recommended
  • 5 player "ships" (i.e. any type of ship-looking things) that can be able to hold five cubes
  • 5 player board print-outs (print and play can handle this)
  • 1 center board with 5 spaces to store cubes (one for each player color)
  • wooden cubes (the containers), though rectangular blocks are better. five different colors, 20 of each
  • five different colors of "machines" (wooden cylinders would work here) matching the cubes; 5 of each (note these are not player specific, differentiate from player colors ideally)
  • 25 "warehouses" (some type of house piece like those in Terra Mystica or Catan would work), same color though it doesn't matter.
  • 5 secret objective cards matching the containers, with the different block colors being valued at $10, $10 / $5, $6, $4, $2. You'll have to look at a print and play to see the details of this.
  • some way to note $10 loans.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey, a friend's wife asked for board game recommendations for her husband. Things he likes, in no particular order:

-- maps
-- history
-- co-op games, so he can play with his daughters without tears
-- engine-building games; he has said it bothers him when the things you do to win are completely separate from the things you do to build the engine (though he did like Dominion)
-- zombies

I don't imagine I can hit all five in one game. Games he (or another of the group of friends) has, and has played and liked:

--Caverna
--Caylus
--Puerto Rico
--Dominion
--Agricola
--Archipelago
--7 Wonders
--Acquire

Games he has owned or played enough to make them not giftable due to owning or disliking:

--Zombie 15
--Dead of Winter
--Space Alert
--Codenames
--Tash Kalar
--Five Tribes
--Fortune and Glory
--Panic Station

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This talk of Nippon makes me realize that in all my tabletop collection I do not own a single game that is Japanese themed in any way. This is at odds with my inner otaku. Are there any goon-recommended games with a Japanese theme? Could be war, or economics, or whatever.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 30, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Holy cow that game sounds simple and brutally entertaining.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Heard good things about Sekigahara (which I can never spell)- it's a card-driven wargame. Gutter Owl played it a bunch IIRC

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chomp8645 posted:

This talk of Nippon makes me realize that in all my tabletop collection I do not own a single game that is Japanese themed in any way. This is at odds with my inner otaku. Are there any goon-recommended games with a Japanese theme? Could be war, or economics, or whatever.

Sushi Go, King of Tokyo or Hanabi.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Tragedy Looper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

homullus posted:

Hey, a friend's wife asked for board game recommendations for her husband. Things he likes, in no particular order:

-- maps
-- history
-- co-op games, so he can play with his daughters without tears
-- engine-building games; he has said it bothers him when the things you do to win are completely separate from the things you do to build the engine (though he did like Dominion)
-- zombies

I don't imagine I can hit all five in one game. Games he (or another of the group of friends) has, and has played and liked:

--Caverna
--Caylus
--Puerto Rico
--Dominion
--Agricola
--Archipelago
--7 Wonders
--Acquire

Games he has owned or played enough to make them not giftable due to owning or disliking:

--Zombie 15
--Dead of Winter
--Space Alert
--Codenames
--Tash Kalar
--Five Tribes
--Fortune and Glory
--Panic Station

History/engine building: Through the ages, Steampunk rally (more like alternate history, but whatever)
Maps/co-op: Mage Knight (also has an engine building aspect), though depending on his daughter's age the game might be too complex. Pandemic is a very good fit for this category and a lot less complex.