Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Chief McHeath posted:

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear ruled.

I was too stupid to ever create my own tactical plans, so I just went default. Multiplayer was crazy on Mplayer.com, but then again I was on dial up so the lag warping and bullet sprays at enemies in hoping to score a random headshot made it real hectic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

That mission was lame. You had to hide behind the fuel truck each time you started the mission on the way to the plane.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
tom clancy games were too complicated i just wanted to shoot badass guns and kill terrorists

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
heart-beat sensors are banned.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
On the subject of old computers did anyone else have Amigas at home or school? My primary school had some and they were fun.

There were a couple of games I played on them a lot but I can't seem to find any information about them nowadays. The first was a Carmen Sandiego knockoff called Search for Sanchez (I think), but it was specific to New Zealand, so the entire game takes place there.

The other one was an adventure game where you had to escape an island with an erupting volcano. Either the name of the island or the name of the game had 'Java' in it.

If anyone can point me to some info or even a (legal) place to download them I'd be eternally grateful

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yo, they call me Ding, Ding Chavez

lmao

Woah woah woah, jokes aside you can't be hating on my man, Mr. Ding Chavez!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You guys should all read Bleeding Edge, you'll cum from all the early 00s computer nostalgia

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unreal tournament owns bones

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ColoradoCleric posted:

Unreal tournament owns bones

Is never played a game more than I played UT2004 Online. In fact, it's one of the few pc games I actually bought, so I could play on the normal servers.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Didn't realize flak cannon grenades had smiley faces on them for the longest time.

Also lots of weird but fun mutators.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hey man Ding was a badass.

But ur right City Street Large was the best map.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I used to play a lot of Tribes, AVP2 online and America's Army (especially v2.1). I liked the friendly fire system and autokicks in America's Army - I once was on a team where the whole squad was teamkilled at spawn by one idiot with an RPG. Good times. I think I was accused of cheating more often in that game than any other, pwning noobs all over the place.

Cheating in online games is one reason I never really played Counterstrike - I have no patience with cheats. Why even play an online game if you need cheats in order to be competitive? Trolling people is only fun for so long, and it is much more satisfying to just beat the hell out of people by way of skill alone.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i played ww2 online when it was in beta, the first time, in ~2000-2001

bought in a box from the same local computer store where i bought deus ex

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Who needs stinkin' TF2 teleporters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrjh8yp5yE

I also remember how ATX cases went from power supplies on the top, then to the bottom, and now some are migrating to the top again as manufacturers invert motherboard mounts to get better air flow. On that note it looks like Enlight model 7237 cases finally stopped getting made. Those things were like the Corollas of ATX cases, just good enough to get the job done and they were everywhere.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
conc jumping really ruined tfc

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

ColoradoCleric posted:

Although spreading AIDS to the enemy team never stopped being fun. Especially since so few people played medic :getin:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ColoradoCleric posted:

It was fun if you were good at it. It also drew a lot of accusations of cheating and occasionally got you banned from servers too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The_Franz posted:

It was fun if you were good at it. It also drew a lot of accusations of cheating and occasionally got you banned from servers too.

It also spawned conc maps which owned. I was never good at conc jumping, but was pro at rocket jumping.

Nostalgia would be those really big full size computer game boxes. Remember when gaming software came in cool boxes that were a foot by a foot or so? I was so pissed when I went to Basic Training and came home and my mom had thrown out all my boxes. Then i went to the stores later on and all the software had been slowly changing over to the smaller boxes we have today.

Also people who had WebTV heh.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epGeFHsupJM

modplug tracker came with this mod, but I'm pretty sure I had a version of Sonique with it:

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.
Winamp really kicks the llama's rear end! I remember spending so much time looking for the perfect skin. It was superior to all other music apps, including Sonique.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Winamp is still better than any other player but unfortunately to enjoy the modern age you have to use whatever piss poor UI your streaming provider of choice craps out

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that it's available as a modern Mac binary, I just spent the better part of an hour going through the POVray demo scene files for the first time since I used it to render all the Mega Man characters in like 1992.

:allears:

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

thathonkey posted:

Winamp is still better than any other player but unfortunately to enjoy the modern age you have to use whatever piss poor UI your streaming provider of choice craps out

Does that mean that keeping local digital copies of music is also an internet relic?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Segmentation Fox posted:

Does that mean that keeping local digital copies of music is also an internet relic?

I hate to say it but it's getting there. I still use Winamp to manage my huge music collection, but even Google lets you upload up to 20,000 songs and access them for free from anywhere. I used to have a 64GB SD card in my old phone and was wary of my new phone (16GB with no expandable storage) but Google Music has made that a complete non-issue. It even lets you download songs onto your devices off their servers.

e: as far as actual music management and display options though, I've tried a ton of programs across multiple OSes and nothing does what I want except Winamp:

The only things I don't like are the wasted space in the top middle and on the right between the tracks and the artwork, but I've been using this exact setup since Winamp switched to the Modern-style skins and added in the Media Library window, and even before that I had a plugin to do something similar.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Dec 30, 2015

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

laserghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epGeFHsupJM

modplug tracker came with this mod, but I'm pretty sure I had a version of Sonique with it:

I used kjofol until I got tired of the interface and switched to Winamp like everyone else

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Segmentation Fox posted:

no but it will be pretty soon

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I used to play a lot of Tribes, AVP2 online and America's Army (especially v2.1). I liked the friendly fire system and autokicks in America's Army - I once was on a team where the whole squad was teamkilled at spawn by one idiot with an RPG. Good times. I think I was accused of cheating more often in that game than any other, pwning noobs all over the place.

Cheating in online games is one reason I never really played Counterstrike - I have no patience with cheats. Why even play an online game if you need cheats in order to be competitive? Trolling people is only fun for so long, and it is much more satisfying to just beat the hell out of people by way of skill alone.

to this day, Bridge in AA2.whatevs is the best shooter map in gaming history

that poo poo was intense

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wicker Man posted:

I do kinda remember some hullabaloo about the WTC not showing up right in Deus Ex as some kind of honor thing, but that was just a sky rendering problem.

iirc when it was about to go gold it was just barely over the max size of a single cd so they had to trim some stuff, one of the little corners they cut was by cutting out half the skyboxes and then mirroring them

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Data Graham posted:

Now that it's available as a modern Mac binary, I just spent the better part of an hour going through the POVray demo scene files for the first time since I used it to render all the Mega Man characters in like 1992.

:allears:

Amiga 4000 :pcgaming:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thathonkey posted:

no but it will be pretty soon
Until the millenial-built streaming service you're using blows up under the weight of their incompetence. Suddenly local storage doesn't look so outdated.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I hate to say it but it's getting there. I still use Winamp to manage my huge music collection, but even Google lets you upload up to 20,000 songs and access them for free from anywhere. I used to have a 64GB SD card in my old phone and was wary of my new phone (16GB with no expandable storage) but Google Music has made that a complete non-issue. It even lets you download songs onto your devices off their servers.

iTunes redeemed the sinful music world and saved us all from monthly streaming subscription fees and self-destructing music collections... but then once we stopped caring about being able to burn CDs or make video soundtracks or play our music anywhere but on our phones, music itself stopped being a commodity we wanted to own. The streaming model, slow and steady, overtook it.

I think the novelty of legal digital music was what kept the ownership model going for so long. Nowadays if you want to hear a song (and you're 13) you can usually just go find it on youtube. Nobody cares that you can buy and keep a song any more than they care about trading illicit MP3s in tyool 2016. Music is just out in the atmosphere now, too cheap to meter. There's no point in having a "collection". I think people are gravitating back toward the radio model as per Pandora/Spotify/etc, against all expectations (or certainly mine), because at least that way you stand a chance of hearing something new. Now iTunes is doing the cloud delivery thing too (with iTunes Match) and being slowly eaten from the inside out by Beats of all loving things.

Streaming movies might have been the cognitive dissonance that tipped the balance. It never made sense to buy and download and store (and backup) gigantic digital video files, even if you were convinced that you wanted to own your music files and never have to phone home to maintain the ability to play them. Once we all settled on being comfortable with paying tenbux/month to stream whatever movies we wanted instead of having a shelf full of DVDs, it seemed silly to care about treating music any differently.

I know I for one would rather live in an ideal future where I don't have to hoard any poo poo, digital or otherwise. I'd rather just let someone else keep it for me. Assuming ^^ it doesn't all disappear into vapor when the cloud dissolves.

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Dec 30, 2015

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My LPs got ruined when the cloud turned into a thunderstorm and flooded the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean my car only has a CD player and I hate those FM transmitters so I still buy CDs, they just cost $1.99 at Goodwill instead of $14.99 at Tower Records. Last time I went was 50% off CDs, picked up Led Zeppelin 1-4, a 2-cd Yes compilation, and albums by Talib Kweli, Tribe Called Quest, Head Automatica, and Witch for like $15 total =)

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I mean my car only has a CD player and I hate those FM transmitters so I still buy CDs, they just cost $1.99 at Goodwill instead of $14.99 at Tower Records. Last time I went was 50% off CDs, picked up Led Zeppelin 1-4, a 2-cd Yes compilation, and albums by Talib Kweli, Tribe Called Quest, Head Automatica, and Witch for like $15 total =)

just drive around with earbuds in like all the other cool kids

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have a cassette adapter. I'm not kidding.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Man I do not miss the days of music players with lovely UIs (or skins with lovely UIs). I was rocking the default Winamp 2 skin for as long as I remember. I skipped Winamp 3 because it was poo poo and set Winamp5 to the old 2 skin immediately after installing it.

I did rock this one for a while though:

and I remember an ice-themed one that I liked too, but I'd always go back to the ol' metallic grey and green. Once I discovered foobar 2000 I never looked at another music player ever again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mrwuss posted:

just drive around with earbuds in like all the other cool kids

I see this all the time and it's baffling how loving dangerous it is

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish my car had a tape deck, those adapters are way better than FM transmitters.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Those sound almost as good as aux cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I really hope my mom has given up her AOL account. They got broadband like 12 years ago but were still sending AOL $10 a month or whatever it was for the longest time.