Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Wow is this the first good Punisher card???

No, Crux of fate still exists as a Wrath effect at 5 mana. It isn't a burn spell when you want it to be, and it isn't a wrath when you want it to be. Also it isn't a discard spell when you want it to be. That being said, the use of the word "unless" is good here, which would allow you to create scenarios where it is a 5 mana 10 damage burn spell, but even then, its not particularly good. It is splashy though.

edit-note I am speaking about constructed, in limited, I could see it having a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Channelfireball's preview card.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Obscil posted:

Channelfireball's preview card.

Timelier Reinforcements?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They all seem very good in draft except for the Auxiliary which is merely okay.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That's the best Man-o'-War in a long long time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Flayer Drone is easily my favorite out of that lot and make me want to build RB Devoid a lot. Drop that guy, tick up hangarback, sac it to whatever and do a pile of damage.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Jesus Reflector Mage is goddamn brutal.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think this was posted?

*something* Redeemer (?) 2G
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Devoid
Flash
When you cast *something* Redeemer you may pay C. If you do, put a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token onto the battlefield for each nontoken creature died under your control this turn. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add C to your mana pool".
3/3

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

That Reflector Mage is going to be awful to play against. Actually they all are, I don't want to see any of them on the other side of the table turn 3 except the G/W one.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bugsy posted:

I don't think this was posted?

*something* Redeemer (?) 2G
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Devoid
Flash
When you cast *something* Redeemer you may pay C. If you do, put a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token onto the battlefield for each nontoken creature died under your control this turn. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add C to your mana pool".
3/3

huh, I don't know if this is weaker or stronger than Caller of the Claw, but I like it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cool, will certainly be good in Aristocrats.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I really like the art, at least.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Another new card I found on mythic spoiler.

Dominant Will Eldrazi 2R
Creature- Eldrazi
Devoid
Haste
When you cast dominant will eldrazi, you may pay 1C. If you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
3/1

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Madmarker posted:

No, Crux of fate still exists as a Wrath effect at 5 mana. It isn't a burn spell when you want it to be, and it isn't a wrath when you want it to be. Also it isn't a discard spell when you want it to be. That being said, the use of the word "unless" is good here, which would allow you to create scenarios where it is a 5 mana 10 damage burn spell, but even then, its not particularly good. It is splashy though.

edit-note I am speaking about constructed, in limited, I could see it having a home.

That's not really a punisher since you choose the mode not your opponent. Crux would be an awful punisher card!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://media.wizards.com/2015/ogw_239nCi30ks3/en_m92domhwxO.png

I feel like that if this ability was at instant speed it could be useful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Obscil posted:

Another new card I found on mythic spoiler.

Dominant Will Eldrazi 2R
Creature- Eldrazi
Devoid
Haste
When you cast dominant will eldrazi, you may pay 1C. If you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
3/1

Looks like there's a rare cycle of "when you cast this, you may pay X to do Y" eldrazi creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/ogw_239nCi30ks3/en_m92domhwxO.png

I feel like that if this ability was at instant speed it could be useful.

If it was instant speed it would be broken as gently caress, using it on your opponent's draw step when they were hellbent would mean they never got to cast a non-instant spell ever again.

There's a reason they very rarely print discard at Instant speed and never print repeatable discard at Instant speed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

If it was instant speed it would be broken as gently caress, using it on your opponent's draw step when they were hellbent would mean they never got to cast a non-instant spell ever again.

There's a reason they very rarely print discard at Instant speed and never print repeatable discard at Instant speed.

Also they can't play lands. What fun that would be.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

That's not really a punisher since you choose the mode not your opponent. Crux would be an awful punisher card!

I am aware crux isn't a punisher, I was just using that as an example of one of the roles this card attempts to fill, that are better filled in constructed by other cards.

It is a worse Wrath/creature removal than Crux.

As a black finisher, well Tasigur and Gurmag both exist already.

The only thing it really has going for it is discard, but a 5 mana discard spell tends to be pretty poor anyway.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Madmarker posted:

I am aware crux isn't a punisher, I was just using that as an example of one of the roles this card attempts to fill, that are better filled in constructed by other cards.

It is a worse Wrath/creature removal than Crux.

As a black finisher, well Tasigur and Gurmag both exist already.

The only thing it really has going for it is discard, but a 5 mana discard spell tends to be pretty poor anyway.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't talking about playable in anything but limited I just meant good, period. Like when you look at that card you don't go "wow another lovely punisher card, cool."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
That is some hilariously bad flavortext on the Auxiliary

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't talking about playable in anything but limited I just meant good, period. Like when you look at that card you don't go "wow another lovely punisher card, cool."
It's the age old spoiler season tradition of half the thread assuming everything is being evaluated for Standard / Modern and the other half assuming we're talking about Limited.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Fair enough.

I could see it being run in a game of limited, HOWEVER, I think that really depends on how many Eldrazi Scions are running around. a 5 mana sorcery that kills two Scions is pretty piss poor.

I will agree that this card is better than the entirety of the "Tribute" mechanic though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Permotriassic posted:

"We're going to have to BATTLE," said Jace, dark and mysteriously, "for ZENDIKAR!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

reflector mage and flayer drone are like, all i wanna first-pick from now on

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How many people are going to miss support only working on other creatures?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Permotriassic posted:

It might be the worst flavor text I've ever read. I can't tell if it's earnestly trying to shoehorn in the name of the set or if it was a joke placeholder they accidentally left in.

"Before their journey, I heard them talking about those born of the gods. I hope they will inspire others to go to Nyx."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

3BB thing looks okay but not great in limited. The numbers are large enough that's it's absolutely backbreaking when you're ahead, but small enough that a lot of the time your opponent will go "sac some random bear/spawn, take 5" if the board is even. It also does literal nothing when you're behind. I think in general I would put it in my deck, but I wouldn't be thrilled. It's certainly worse than a premier common like Complete Disregard unless you're really aggressive. It's also probably worse than an above average common like Sludge Crawler in most decks, I think.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

With Flayer Drone and some of the cards from Battle of Zendikar, I wonder if I can assemble a ping to death deck in red and black during draft.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

jassi007 posted:

This is because of the new deck that is emerging in modern. It runs Eye as a 2-4 of. Basically Wasteland Strangler, Oblivion Sower, and Blight Herder.dec Use the various exile effects, lands that let you slam down fatties for cheap, steal all their lands kill their dudes etc. I've been working on getting it together, and I placed an order monday for the last couple pieces I needed. This likely is real demand and less of a buyout.

http://deckbox.org/sets/1275641

Thats what I'm working on. There are also BW and monoB versions out there. You can get a 4/5 and 3 1/1's out on t3 and that ramps you straight into Oblivion Sower, its pretty fun.

One of the MTG Finance binder grinder types at the LGS I frequent was talking up this deck quite a bit and identifying that some of the finance blogs and sites were talking about how this was the next breakout modern deck, etc and aggressively trading cards towards the staples / mainstays of the deck. His quote was something like "it just needs one of the pro teams to go over the build, refine it, and play the deck in a tournament and it'll blow up, you'll see."

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How many people are going to miss support only working on other creatures?

I did. That cards pretty bad then.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Wouldn't feel bad first picking any of these

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is Reflector Mage just the best Man-o-War variant? I think it's likely to be good, Aether Adept is a lot worse and it was marginally playable. The fact that you'll have mana up for when they try to recast the creature seems big.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Wouldn't feel bad first picking any of these

The green ones seem fine, but not good enough reasons in and of themselves to move into those colors. Since they're gold, that makes them bad first picks in my mind.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Reflector Mage into Despise seems like it could also be pretty good.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dehtraen posted:

One of the MTG Finance binder grinder types at the LGS I frequent was talking up this deck quite a bit and identifying that some of the finance blogs and sites were talking about how this was the next breakout modern deck, etc and aggressively trading cards towards the staples / mainstays of the deck. His quote was something like "it just needs one of the pro teams to go over the build, refine it, and play the deck in a tournament and it'll blow up, you'll see."

I don't know about all that, but it has won some modern leagues, going 5-0. It seems legit enough to give it a try at FNM which is what I'm doing. I don't know or expect it to be the next jund or twin, but I want to whip some rear end at FNM.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The green ones seem fine, but not good enough reasons in and of themselves to move into those colors. Since they're gold, that makes them bad first picks in my mind.

the mage is easily good enough to first-pick unless this set is really wonky, just cause it's 2 colors the power-level is good enough to justify it

or maybe i just really really like Man-o-War, that could also be true

flayer drone is something I'd first pick but i'm aware enough to know that's probably not true for everyone

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I wish they would print some playable Eldrazi aggro guys at a CMC of something other than three. Like we've got Herald of Kozilek, Wasteland Strangler, Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Molten Nursery, now this guy, plus I want Kolaghan's Command and Exquisite Firecraft, and I want all of those cards to be in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I just know is gonna be a thing.

Then to curve out ahead of all that you have... Sludge Crawler and Forerunner of Slaughter, which wants to be a three drop half the time too

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
When LSV was playing in the Modern MOCS he came up against Nathan Holliday playing the Eldrazi deck and he was making fun of him (and Sam Pardee who said in the chat that he convinced Nathan to play it) and then ended up losing to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the mage is easily good enough to first-pick unless this set is really wonky, just cause it's 2 colors the power-level is good enough to justify it

or maybe i just really really like Man-o-War, that could also be true

flayer drone is something I'd first pick but i'm aware enough to know that's probably not true for everyone

I was specifically referring to the green cards (and not because of the problems with green in BFZ). The other cards' power levels make up for the risk in first picking a gold card, I think.

• Locked thread