Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Corvinus posted:

What. No.

Items have a 100% hit rate with infinite height tolerance. The only thing to watch for is making sure line-of-sight is clear when using Throw Item.

Maybe that was it? I dunno man. It's been awhile. I just remember trying to play FFT three different times and every time just getting cornholed.

It's like Vagrant Story in that sense. I can get to about the fourth boss before finding myself in a crapshoot situation with no clear way out.

EDIT: Hey, I've been dad gayed! I think I know who is doing these now.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Give me FFTA any day of the week.

agreed, tbh

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Szurumbur posted:

There are three built-in cheats in the PS4 version:
Boost: you HP/MP are maxed after being lowered and your LIMIT bar is maxed without any need to take damage (you do spend the points/bar, so you can still be one-shot, but generally you're invincible)
Turbo: everything but the cutscenes/FMVs moves 3 times as fast as it normally would
No Encounters: random encounters are disabled, only fixed and boss encounters remain

It's great, and they don't even disable trophies if you're into that, as I am. One of my gripes with FF VII was that you only had access to "Less Encounters" materia, and even that was a reward in Gold Saucer.

Spiffy. Now, are these in the Steam release as well or is it a PS4 exclusive?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

No Encounters? What the gently caress does that do, remove the random mobs and give you straight bossfights when they happen?

You're posting in a FF thread and you have no idea what 'no encounters' means? :confused:

Plenty of RPGs include ways to avoid random encounters without even cheating. Its not that complicated an idea.

Random encounters can be really annoying if you're just trying to run someplace or grab an item. And yeah obviously you still get the boss fights, those are scripted and not random.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

widespread posted:

I think they are added to PS4, but the HP/MP/Limit should all be fairly easy to do with Cheat Engine, and I haven't looked at exactly comes in the google-able tables but encounter rate wouldn't be a surprise either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

PS4 exclusive. The PC version also has cheats, but they're very different cheats. They're permanent and gaudy, like "make all characters level 999, grant 9999999 gil and all materia" kind of bullshit.

You can do anything you want with cheat engine on PC, but the frame skip option on PS4 is specifically flagged to not mess up the music and to turn off during some scenes, which is something that you're not going to get on PC.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

I realize my knowledge of various games' mechanics is hardly something to be proud of, but what's with these heinous lies about the older games I hear constantly, in this thread of all places? One of the Item skillset advantages over magic in non-reliance of percentages.

Unless you mean physically miss with throw, but doesn't the game tell you that you won't hit your target if you don't have LoS or they're Innocent or otherwise immune? That I don't remember, I'm afraid.

Yeah it's always weird when people talk about games they clearly haven't played in, like, 5 years. Or games they just don't know anything about to begin with.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gigglefeimer posted:

Yeah it's always weird when people talk about games they clearly haven't played in, like, 5 years. Or games they just don't know anything about to begin with.

People talk about movies they haven't seen, books they haven't read, and shows they haven't watched in 5 years all the time. Most of the people who played Final Fantasy Tactics, love or hate it, didn't know much about how it worked. It's a complicated game with a ton of stuff going on and not all of its mechanics are clearly communicated or make sense to begin with.

You guys are describing normal human behavior and regular mistakes people make in conversations, chill.

In Training posted:

Give me FFTA any day of the week.

FFTA is a really underrated game that gets too much poo poo for mechanics that are really easy to deal with even though some of them are dumb (laws) and for being a storybook thing about kids instead of grimdark political fantasy.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 30, 2015

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

People talk about movies they haven't seen, books they haven't read, and shows they haven't watched in 5 years all the time. Most of the people who played Final Fantasy Tactics, love or hate it, didn't know much about how it worked. It's a complicated game with a ton of stuff going on and not all of its mechanics are clearly communicated or make sense to begin with.

You guys are describing normal human behavior and regular mistakes people make in conversations, chill.

It's just funny how often someone in this thread will preface their post with "it's been a while since I played, but..." then they'll say something completely wrong. You can always tell when they talk about the game in the past tense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FFTA is a really underrated game that gets too much poo poo for mechanics that are really easy to deal with even though some of them are dumb (laws) and for being a storybook thing about kids instead of grimdark political fantasy.

I just used to run around in a big block of Jagd I'd placed next to each other and fight without laws and it was fine.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FFTA a bad game and it'd be a bad game even in a world where Tactics didn't exist, it's one of those games I kept playing because FF is one of my favorite video game series so I kept hoping it'd get better but it never did. The law system is terrible, the difficulty is non-existent even by FF standards (which is a bigger deal in a strategy game as it removes the point of strategising), the sidequests are MMO-levels of flat and repetitive and the characters are largely unlikeable. It's a bummer because the character progression and customization is fun but all of its other aspects drag it down.

There were better RPGs and strategy games available on the GBA, and the sequel is also a much better-designed game even if it also suffers from some balance issues and possibly the weirdest protagonist design in gaming.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grem posted:

I reflected the gently caress out of the second Seymour fight, just having problems with this mountain trek. I'm losing to trash random fights.

Oh. Well how close are you to Quick Hit? Without grinding I usually pick it up around Bevelle. It's one of the best skills in the game and if you can learn it on your heavy hitters (Auron and Wakka), they'll be able to tear poo poo up. It's like hitting every enemy with Delay Buster except nobody is immune to it :v:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

See I kind of liked the law system. Made you think outside the box and use abilities you normally wouldn't. Not saying i was a huge fan of it though, and I can totally see why people would hate it. But it really wasn't that big a deal.

The story on the other hand, I wasn't a fan of. Kids leading armies in fantasy land. I'll take the medieval story, with the janky translation that makes little sense, over that.

Edit: oh yeah, the lack of difficulty is a big negative for me as well. But that makes sense considering it was a GBA game. Still, something like a hard mode would have been nice.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 30, 2015

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
FFTA is fine. "Underrated" it isn't. It's rated right where it needs to be.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

See I kind of liked the law system. Made you think outside the box and use abilities you normally wouldn't. Not saying i was a huge fan of it though, and I can totally see why people would hate it. But it really wasn't that big a deal.

There's "making you think outside the box" and then there's just flat-out dumb poo poo like laws against doing damage, or harming a type of enemy when they make up all the enemies in the field.

Edit: Laws against missing and critical hits, too. Nothing says "fun" like losing party members over stuff you can't control!

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 30, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Edit: oh yeah, the lack of difficulty is a big negative for me as well. But that makes sense considering it was a GBA game. Still, something like a hard mode would have been nice.

The platform doesn't really have anything to do with, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem were also GBA games and they could get real tricky in addition to being really good strategy games that still hold up today. FFTA was basically designed to be a kid's first strategy game which is fine, but also makes it pretty difficult to enjoy without that childhood nostalgia factor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

fount of knowledge posted:

There's "making you think outside the box" and then there's just flat-out dumb poo poo like laws against doing damage, or harming a type of enemy when they make up all the enemies in the field.

Considering the most powerful things in FFTA didn't actually do any damage that was easier then you'd think. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kanfy posted:

FFTA a bad game and it'd be a bad game even in a world where Tactics didn't exist, it's one of those games I kept playing because FF is one of my favorite video game series so I kept hoping it'd get better but it never did. The law system is terrible, the difficulty is non-existent even by FF standards (which is a bigger deal in a strategy game as it removes the point of strategising), the sidequests are MMO-levels of flat and repetitive and the characters are largely unlikeable. It's a bummer because the character progression and customization is fun but all of its other aspects drag it down.

There were better RPGs and strategy games available on the GBA, and the sequel is also a much better-designed game even if it also suffers from some balance issues and possibly the weirdest protagonist design in gaming.

There's no reason to play FFTA when the Tactics Ogre GBA game was an option as it's a better game. From reading the LP of FFTA the main takeaways were: it's good because rose-tinted glasses, whomever thought Steal Ability was a good/balanced idea is insane, and laws are mainly there to be an RNG-based annoyance because most major enemies can ignore them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty much Game of Thrones and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is pretty much Peter Pan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no you see it's okay because instant death and exorcise technically don't do damage

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Amusingly, reaction commands also don't trigger Damage2 laws. So you can kill all the bangaa you want by parking the fighter in their face and letting Bonecrusher proc repeatedly.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask, but I've put 5 dollars down for final fantasy explorers, and so far, I know none of my friends are going to be grabbing it.

Is it worth it to still grab it if, realistically I'm going to be solo all the time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renzuko posted:

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask, but I've put 5 dollars down for final fantasy explorers, and so far, I know none of my friends are going to be grabbing it.

Is it worth it to still grab it if, realistically I'm going to be solo all the time?

Do you enjoy doing Monster Hunter games alone? I personally don't but YMMV.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renzuko posted:

I've heard that the single player basically amounts to a 9ish hour tutorial and everything else requires actual people but I don't know if that's an exaggeration by disgruntled Japanese players or not.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Edit: Laws against missing and critical hits, too. Nothing says "fun" like losing party members over stuff you can't control!

Those laws were in the the sequel. There were no chance-based laws in FFTA, which is why I tend to favor it over FFTA2. It gave you a lot more control in managing laws too, like just moving around the map a bit to change to more favorable laws, as well as antilaw cards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The law system was awful in both games and the main reason FFT was better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really didn't like how the stats of each character in FFTA (and FFTA2) don't change when you change their job and are only based on the growths of the job the you leveled the character in. That meant that if you leveled a character in a job with bad growths (that the game doesn't tell you), you will just gimp your character for no reason. In the original FFT you could easily change people jobs around since their stats were mostly based on their current job.

Not that it mattered in any way since game has no challenge whatsoever at any point.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Those sorts of laws were only in FFTA2, where they changed the system to reward you for following the law rather than punishing you for not. In FFTA, the laws were never against something that was out of your control.

To me, the biggest problem with FFTA was the braindead AI. You could practically count on your enemy doing incredibly stupid poo poo, like having a black mage melee attack.

Andrast posted:

I really didn't like how the stats of each character in FFTA (and FFTA2) don't change when you change their job and are only based on the growths of the job the you leveled the character in. That meant that if you leveled a character in a job with bad growths (that the game doesn't tell you), you will just gimp your character for no reason. In the original FFT you could easily change people jobs around since their stats were mostly based on their current job.

Not that it mattered in any way since game has no challenge whatsoever at any point.

I also didn't like this.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Final Fantasy IX Comes to PC and Smartphones!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holy poo poo Square-Enix! You're actually making a new port!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I simply cannot wait for another round of endless crying about interfaces built for touchscreens.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

gently caress yes!
Please, please, please. make the 3x speed available now or in the hopefully eventual ps4 port.
If that happens, this will finally be the true best final fantasy game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My prediction is coming even more true.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe they can add a speed up feature to it and make it funner to play

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh my God, speed up the ATB and it'll be great. I just hope they don't butcher the interface because it's also coming to smartphones.

EDIT: Here's the announcement trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K20lI9b6XwE

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 31, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there anything new with the FFVIII PC Port or is just the same game with cheats I have to implement myself

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No loving way. It's a Christmas miracle!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

With X/X-2 soon behind it that's all the good FFs on PC, even if some of the versions are lovely mobile ports

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Veib posted:

I simply cannot wait for another round of endless crying about interfaces built for touchscreens.

Should people not complain about bullshit control schemes that suck poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

In Training posted:

With X/X-2 soon behind it that's all the good FFs on PC, even if some of the versions are lovely mobile ports

I'd still like to see FF 1 with the option to switch between the classic spell charges or MP system, as well as FF 12 IZJS. Tactics also. I don't really care about FF 2.