Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lazermaniac posted:

Hey y'all, since we're plugging our creations, I made this thing a while back and recently got around to updating it.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=344199068

If you ever feel like poking something full of holes at 7.5km range.

Huh, didn't know that was a Goon creation :stare:. Moved to the appropriate category in the OP :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There was a great goon server a while ago and I have been hankering to play since planet stuff got introduced. Is it just too chuggy to do these days or just lack of multiplayer interest?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The dedicated server is a bit of a shitshow right now where half of the things don't work, no doubt in large part due to netcode being crap and not getting touched in a long time as it's waiting for the ~next big rewrite~.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Truga posted:

The dedicated server is a bit of a shitshow right now where half of the things don't work, no doubt in large part due to netcode being crap and not getting touched in a long time as it's waiting for the ~next big rewrite~.

We've actually had pretty good luck with stability and such.
The biggest issue is lack of interest, and, thus, lack of attention on my part to keep an eye on it to make sure it runs smoothly.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

It should play Tom Waits at deafening volume with a picture of him on an LCD screen singing into the megaphone. Equip it with a grinder too for extra terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw

Goddamn, too spooky for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well my Multi-rover wound up kinda crap and still continues to tip on the slightest turn, so I thought I'd try something different from scratch.

Like a big fat Bus instead of a little top-heavy SUV :v:. With how the module space on the back turned out, its also getting an option for a little atmospheric flyer for crashing pulling sweet tricks, yo airborne recon with a 30-ish-minute battery charge. I'm thinking one of the pods will be mostly decorative stuff like bunkbeds and a shitter to turn it into the holiday campervan from hell (there's an access door to the flatbed at the back of the cabin).

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Oh hey, planets are in. I'll have to see if I can land the ol' Winnebago.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The gently caress are these space dragons they added? And the option to disable them is "coming soon"?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

The gently caress are these space dragons they added? And the option to disable them is "coming soon"?

*Exploding* space dragons, actually. And yeah, who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to add something like that in without having a way to disable them?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Sit! Stay! Play DEAD! BAD CYBERHOUND!

quote:

Summary
After 53 weekly updates we have come to the end of the 2015! Thanks for the ride and Happy New Year, Engineers! Hope you are ready for one more.
The howling of a beast comes to Space Engineers in this latest update. This beast roams the lands of the Earth-like planet, stalks their prey and then attacks when you are busy repairing your base. Cyberhound is a predator with laser eyes and a nasty trick up its sleeve to use as a last resort. They also contain some loot that you can collect after you manage to terminate them.
For those of you who are dedicated to hardcore realism, the Cyberhound is an optional character - you can always turn it off from the main menu and enjoy the survival mode without any NPCs (this option is temporarily disabled – it will be enabled within the next few days).
And on the surfaces of the Earth-like and Alien planets you can watch the dance of the fireflies during the night. Just pay attention to the trees around you. Fireflies are a purely cosmetic addition to the biomes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxg8UP0N6iE

Features
- Cyberhounds
- Fireflies

Fixes
- Fixed crash when joining dedicated server

edgeman83 posted:

*Exploding* space dragons, actually. And yeah, who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to add something like that in without having a way to disable them?

It's this thing called "Alpha Testing" :v:. It's probably so they can actually get a decent range of feedback on them before the hardcore spergs switch them off.

edit:

Captain Blaargh posted:

Oh hey, planets are in. I'll have to see if I can land the ol' Winnebago.

I'll see your Winnebago and raise you the Caterpillar's Camp-A-Luxe 4000 Getaway Pod.

The Connector's there so it can be pressurized.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 1, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That shower needs to be like a passenger seat so you can stay in it as you drop from orbit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

That shower needs to be like a passenger seat so you can stay in it as you drop from orbit.

That's what the toilet's for.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The cyberdogs are easily kept at bay with a pair of Interior Turrets with long sightlines. I haven't seen a dragon yet.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's this thing called "Alpha Testing" :v:. It's probably so they can actually get a decent range of feedback on them before the hardcore spergs switch them off.

edit:

I'll see your Winnebago and raise you the Caterpillar's Camp-A-Luxe 4000 Getaway Pod.

I need to step up my interior design.

We've got a good start towards a space RV park. Space Jeremy Clarkson will hate us.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped;

quote:

update : 01.115.06
added options to disable spawning of spiders and cyberhounds
for old saves spiders will spawn if your environment hostility is not safe, cyberhounds aren't spawning by default in any old world.
In new worlds you need to enable them in advanced menu. (both spiders and cyberhounds)

Captain Blaargh posted:

I need to step up my interior design.

We've got a good start towards a space RV park. Space Jeremy Clarkson will hate us.

Well it's not just an RV.

It's also a cargo truck too :v:. Not to mention a mobile refueling pad, due a variant with those big fat vanilla hydrogen tanks. And yes, I'm going to replace the armor ribs with reinforced ones.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit:

What is that circular door? I've been looking for a docking connector for my new build.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Logikv9 posted:

What is that circular door? I've been looking for a docking connector for my new build.

It's part of Darth Biomech's Docking Ring modpack. The Docking Ring itself is kinda buggy, but the doors are great.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So this game has interested me for several years since I first saw it. I saw that it's on sale for 1/2 off on Steam for the next day or so. I've read the OP and watched several Youtube videos, mainly of people showing off the insane things they've designed. How does everyone still feel about this game? From the survival / multiplayer standpoint? Would I be able to get in on some multiplayer battles or is that kind of an odd thing that's more for groups of friends? Finally, how truly time consuming and complex is it to design something halfway decent? I see guys with massive mining ships or star-carriers and it seems that it took them as long to build them as it would in reality. Guess I'm just trying to avoid buying a game I play a handful of times and then drop because I get frustrated by not being super creative or having to rely on downloading other people's work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

So this game has interested me for several years since I first saw it. I saw that it's on sale for 1/2 off on Steam for the next day or so. I've read the OP and watched several Youtube videos, mainly of people showing off the insane things they've designed. How does everyone still feel about this game? From the survival / multiplayer standpoint? Would I be able to get in on some multiplayer battles or is that kind of an odd thing that's more for groups of friends? Finally, how truly time consuming and complex is it to design something halfway decent? I see guys with massive mining ships or star-carriers and it seems that it took them as long to build them as it would in reality. Guess I'm just trying to avoid buying a game I play a handful of times and then drop because I get frustrated by not being super creative or having to rely on downloading other people's work.

If you want to build something big and fancy, Creative Mode is basically Space Lego. Rather than having to mine, refine and construct the parts for each block before assembly, you can just click and drop them onto bits of your ship. It also has a bunch of quality-of-life enhancements like mirror mode and being able to place rows and areas of blocks at once.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Gotcha. As far as a community goes how is it? Can I hop into games with other people playing survival or do I need to try to convince friends to play with me?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Is there any interest or league for space battles? I have no interest in survival but would be very interested in a team battle between player designed capital ships or fighters. Set a tonnage limit for the battle then go hog wild for an afternoon.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Would be very interesting if the capitals and fighters/bombers were vetted for balance, so it became a matter of intelligent use to win. RAMMING SPEED :argh:

That sounds fun as hell.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 4, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

Would be very interesting if the capitals and fighters/bombers were vetted for balance, so it became a matter of intelligent use to win. RAMMING SPEED :argh:

That sounds fun as hell.

You can't really balance one person's ship against another (save maybe for relative size). Bring your A-Game, and if you lose, build it better :colbert:.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lilspooky posted:

Gotcha. As far as a community goes how is it? Can I hop into games with other people playing survival or do I need to try to convince friends to play with me?

You can play single player

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Multiplayer code is being re-written heavily in the future because current servers have problems with more than 4 players and you have random physics explosions beyond infinite power from connecting voxel grids with rotors, landing gear, and sometimes connectors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uploaded a neat little toy I've been meaning to add for a while. It's the recon drone from my starfighter and shuttle. Just mount it to a 1x1x1 merge block from the Small Ship Mega Mod, and when you release it it will turn on. After that just fly it remotely to go poke poo poo.

Finally got around to it because I was using them anyway to stick a pair on the Caterpillar anyway.

Tried to style the interior like an intel/communication van, the LCD's just throw up generic vehicle info like which laser antenna are connected and the crawler's current GPS position. The buttons on either side just release the respective drone and activate it.

Verizian posted:

Multiplayer code is being re-written heavily in the future because current servers have problems with more than 4 players and you have random physics explosions beyond infinite power from connecting voxel grids with rotors, landing gear, and sometimes connectors.

At least it'll probably be Soon(er)TM than it was getting Planets out the door.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

What's the general size cap on ships in Space Engineers? My favorite thing about Starmade is planning, blocking out, and then never finishing absurd megaproject model carriers and this game looks like it might offer a much more robust version of that. Can you realistically make and waddle about in 800K—1M-block ships? Also, how good are the symmetry and mass-placement options?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
1. the only size limit is the power of your computer
2. 3-way symmetry options
3. you can either mass place all the blocks in a one dimensional line or a two dimensional plane. there is no "fill-in" / 3D mass placement option though

you can build whatever massive monstrosity you want, the only limit is your imagination / fps tolerances

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I thought some people were reporting random deletion of their railway tracks after they got over 400 blocks long? Maybe that issue was fixed a few patches ago. I recall shortly after Planets became a thing, some players were reporting odd deletions of their works in progress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

I thought some people were reporting random deletion of their railway tracks after they got over 400 blocks long? Maybe that issue was fixed a few patches ago. I recall shortly after Planets became a thing, some players were reporting odd deletions of their works in progress.

I think I've had it happen to one of my small-block blueprints too recently. Pasted it into a world to find some blocks missing off the hull.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

What's the general size cap on ships in Space Engineers? My favorite thing about Starmade is planning, blocking out, and then never finishing absurd megaproject model carriers and this game looks like it might offer a much more robust version of that. Can you realistically make and waddle about in 800K—1M-block ships? Also, how good are the symmetry and mass-placement options?

If you want to test your PC's mettle, try loading my Mk.2 Battleship and see how well it runs once you get to it in-world. It's a 300-odd-meter-long ship with multiple decks and a shitload of blocks, so that'll give you some idea of what your system can handle. KSH is definitely doing some proper optimization work in recent weeks though, because my forever-in-progress Mk.3 version is actually getting a decent framerate now on-average instead of "tolerably laggy".

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 5, 2016

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

XkyRauh posted:

I think this is an engine limitation where the lod scaling or distance limits are being hit. Remember a block is like 2.5m, so 400 blocks is 1km.
For example, the ground voxels might unload before the ship grid and/or reload in weird orders and you end up with a collision that destroys blocks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
People have successfully built an elevator from the moon to the earth planet, so there's definitely not a hard limit on size.

There's definitely jank involved, though. Sometimes, poo poo just explodes for seemingly no reason.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Truga posted:

There's definitely jank involved, though. Sometimes, poo poo just explodes for seemingly no reason.

Re-brand to Russian space engineers, call it 1.0

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Pound_Coin posted:

Re-brand to Russian space engineers, call it 1.0

Kerbal Minecraft Program

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Apparently structures on a planets surface will revert to physics enabled if you happen to remove the last block tying it to the ground. Apparently this means in practice that your structure will launch itself to the stratosphere and then come crashing back down.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apparently structures on a planets surface will revert to physics enabled if you happen to remove the last block tying it to the ground. Apparently this means in practice that your structure will launch itself to the stratosphere and then come crashing back down.

I did that with the first wheeled vehicle I made on a planet's surface: made the mistake of Ctrl+clicking the slider to adjust Strength of the suspension, and when it updated from 0 to 100 (whoops lol) the vehicle sling-shotted into the air, cratering spectacularly. :haw:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

XkyRauh posted:

I did that with the first wheeled vehicle I made on a planet's surface: made the mistake of Ctrl+clicking the slider to adjust Strength of the suspension, and when it updated from 0 to 100 (whoops lol) the vehicle sling-shotted into the air, cratering spectacularly. :haw:

Working as intended :haw:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

So it seems that the solar panel glitch still hasn't been fixed?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Firos posted:

So it seems that the solar panel glitch still hasn't been fixed?

What is the solar panel glitch?

Also in my masochism I decided to go back to Medieval Engineers for a little bit and try playing in its survival mode. I've made a nice little crane to help me quarry stone.

I am actively still building in the world, so I may share more pictures later.

• Locked thread