Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

jneer posted:

The idea that HA is considered an honorabru class in this game is funny because it exposes these so-called competitive players as people who either haven't played or couldn't cut it in actual competitive games like CS or even CoD and BF.

The other day I clicked on harvester's stream on the planetside list because nobody I like was streaming. He was playing BF4 instead and getting owned over and over and over and whining about how the game is poo poo. It was wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fans posted:

Well unless you're using the Orion and Betelguese, which are doing noticeably worse now.

Exactly - VS guns punish the player harder than any other for missing shots. I mean the bottom line of players, not guns. The 0.8 kd players will feel a little less jipped with things like 0.75x ADS LMGs removed and heavy shields that aren't tons of extra HP.

The Orion seems nice but people still want to cheese with it. People who were good didn't need the extra ADS move speed to dunk people.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Exactly - VS guns punish the player harder than any other for missing shots. I mean the bottom line of players, not guns. The 0.8 kd players will feel a little less jipped with things like 0.75x ADS LMGs removed and heavy shields that aren't tons of extra HP.

The Orion seems nice but people still want to cheese with it. People who were good didn't need the extra ADS move speed to dunk people.

this is literally the ".75 ADS isnt necessary, also dont remove .75 ADS" argument everyone was making fun of last page what the christ

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Reminder carv was and still is an orion with 50 extra rounds. The mistake was adding .75 ADS to an LMG with this horrible net code. The VS trait should have always been the best moving CoF.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

Reminder carv was and still is an orion with 50 extra rounds. The mistake was adding .75 ADS to an LMG with this horrible net code. The VS trait should have always been the best moving CoF.

I don't think the alternative to making a gun move faster considering poor net code is to make the guns more accurate while the game is having difficulty tracking you

Anyway the Carnage is just a superior Orion and you don't see the min/maxers running to it. HA hasn't been about the guns since the screenshake fix. Hopefully they follow through with this nerf and don't wimp out, buff them instead, then nerf engie like last time

Moving CoF is too important to be factional in this game, at least not unless some sort of perk is introduced to make standing still less of a death sentence

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think the alternative to making a gun move faster considering poor net code is to make the guns more accurate while the game is having difficulty tracking you

Having not played this game much, how bad is the net code now? BF2 bad? Or is it mostly playable but you miss a shot due to lag here and there?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grimshak posted:

Having not played this game much, how bad is the net code now? BF2 bad? Or is it mostly playable but you miss a shot due to lag here and there?

Unless it's gotten dramatically worse in the last few months, it's fine. You hear it come up a lot because it used to be a huge issue. It's the last bit you said

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grimshak posted:

The only time I notice the netcode making GBS threads itself is when like 300 players pile into the same base, even then you can still kill dudes, they just render like 15 feet in front of you and medkits stop working

This has been happening a lot less lately though (bc the game is dying lol)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Away all Goats posted:

medkits stop working

Ah, so the netcode is the medkit nerf. Works for me.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I've had quite a few medkit failures over the last week on Miller :mad:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The whole battery charge system should just be the VS faction trait, and now I think this is the part where I go "buff magriders haha".

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Replace all infantry guns with fireworks guns.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lima posted:

I've had quite a few medkit failures over the last week on Miller :mad:

I've been getting this a lot as well. Pop a medkit, health goes up, then it's back where it was. Then I'm out of medkits.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Cabbit posted:

The whole battery charge system should just be the VS faction trait, and now I think this is the part where I go "buff magriders haha".

give me a pulsar c with heat ammo

do it. please. please???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Unclean009 posted:

I'm a DnB kinda man. 180 BPM is life.
Drum and bass is cool + good. :hellyeah:

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
If your launcher is borked or the game is failing to connect the word on Reddit is DBG is apparently being DDOS'd by someone mad at H1Z1.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nookovian-Red posted:

If your launcher is borked or the game is failing to connect the word on Reddit is DBG is apparently being DDOS'd by someone mad at H1Z1.
ARE TROOPS DEVELOPERS :laffo:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

It's probably Lizard Squad, they hit BF4 a while back. I think they have a rotation of games to crash.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
*googles*
Well that's stupid of them.
Moron: *Harasses Smedley*
Smedley: "I'm taking you to court for harassment."
Other Morons: "Let's harass him and his company and brag about it publicly!"

Edit: Yea, Lizard Squad is taking credit. They claim it's retaliation for John Smedley (CEO of Daybreak) publicly declaring his intent to take Julius Kivimaki to civil court for the above mentioned harassment.

Julius, a 17y/o Finland citizen, racked up over 50,000 various crimes including tax-fraud, SWATING, CC Fraud, ID Theft, bomb-threat to plane John was on, etc...
He just came out of court with a 2 year suspended sentence and an order to 'fight against cybercrime'. Even he seems to think this is a non-punishment.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It seems to have worked out for them.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
Until the international community can agree on some sort of RAINBOW 6 for douchebag hax0rz they can usually hide behind the red tape of international law. I think the kid who called the bomb threat into the airlines got arrested though didn't he? Didn't Smed have to fly to Europe to testify in court or something? Been awhile..

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Worked out for a few days. The legal poo poo isn't over yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nookovian-Red posted:

Until the international community can agree on some sort of RAINBOW 6 for douchebag hax0rz they can usually hide behind the red tape of international law. I think the kid who called the bomb threat into the airlines got arrested though didn't he? Didn't Smed have to fly to Europe to testify in court or something? Been awhile..
http://uk.businessinsider.com/finnish-court-convicts-lizard-squad-hacker-julius-kivimaki-2015-7?r=US&IR=T

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I know that particular battle has been lost for decades, but drat it still bothers me seeing a literal script kiddie get called "hacker".

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

NihilCredo posted:

I know that particular battle has been lost for decades, but drat it still bothers me seeing a literal script kiddie get called "hacker".

I mean you can hack if you have basic scripting knowledge, the distinction seems really meaningless.

If some dude register a blackhole website and can drive idiots to get owned, they can have 0 skills other than how to set up a webpage and spam template and can infect hundreds of idiots who click poo poo in their email. At that point they steal money or credentials.

I mean that's pretty much hacking, and no skills required. The script kiddie no longer exists, they are botherders and thats pretty legit in terms of being a hacker. I mean if you have tens of thousands of zombies, at what point is it not like "lmao script kiddie, cant REALLY hack".. seems pointless.

The idea that you have to be able to write 0 day sploits to own something is less and less relevant. You can breach systems with simple effort, no specialized knowledge required. Why have a distinction.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

For their ego.
The kiddies want to call themselves "leet haxors w17h teh skilz", while people who actually have skill and put effort into being a digital rear end in a top hat want a special name for themselves.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rakthar posted:

The idea that you have to be able to write 0 day sploits to own something is less and less relevant. You can breach systems with simple effort, no specialized knowledge required. Why have a distinction.

Eh, for the same reason you don't call a guy with a fireaxe a locksmith, I'd say.

As for the idea that fancy and awesome 0-day exploits are "less and less relevant" in the mid-2010s era of phishing and DDOSes - one word: Stuxnet.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

One word, cock and ball torture.

Heres a recursion tip, if your overlay isen't working toggle the ingame overlay in options and it will work. Why can't DBG make separate loving login servers for their games?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Recursion places more of an emphasis on K/D ratio and thus encourages poor behavior in the game community and should therefore be actively discouraged by DBG imo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Am I the only one having problems with the launcher lately? Half the time it doesn't load and has problems connecting.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Recursion places more of an emphasis on K/D ratio and thus encourages poor behavior in the game community and should therefore be actively discouraged by DBG imo

I don't know, I use recursion and it hasn't changed my play style at all (sucking hard) I just like hearing funny ORK voices every once and a while.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Away all Goats posted:

Am I the only one having problems with the launcher lately? Half the time it doesn't load and has problems connecting.

Their login servers for H1Z1 are being DDoS'd right now, unfortunately they're also the servers we use so it's a bit hosed.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

No matter how your playing you should always strive to kill at least 1 person before dying, recursion allows you to track how good your doing that.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Engie: Does nothing but rep the farm of tanks raining hell on an enemy position. Resulting in more damage and enemy deaths than any 3 HA zerglings. K/D: 0/1, but he did a better job than that 1/1 guy who just rush-rush-rushed.

Infil: Did nothing but spam recon darts, sucking reloads off that engy's ammo pack. Vastly improving the information the guys in the thick of it have to work with. K/D 0/1, but she made all those zergers 2 or 3 times more effective than without that dart-spam.

Medic: Rezes that infil who just got plinked by a sniper. Just rezzes people who get picked off doing support rolls in the tank-farm. K/D: 0/1, but drat, this place is running pretty well when the support staff isn't asleeps in some bloods.

Light Assault: Spent 3 minutes sneaking into a wierd corner of the battle-field to drop a beacon. Didn't fire a shot because that would attract attention, get's podded by the first person to drop in. K/D: 0/1, but the enemy team has a whole new front to deal with.

Galaxy Pilot: Just keeps filling up with pubbies from a nearby not-so-hot zone and fly-by dropping them into the thick of it. A whole 'nuther set of problems for the enemy. K/D: 0/0 Wierdly, there was almost no anti-air from the enemy.

Another Infil: Stalker-cloaked, just snuck around hacking turrets and terminals. K/D:0/1, and that gal-pilot is kinda confused.

Another Engie: Sits in the back of a harasser, eating popcorn with one hand and repping it with the other. K/D 0/1, the gunner and driver rack up far more kills than without constant healing, circling the battlefield, blowing up incoming tanks, and ramping off random terrain.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 31, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Agreed, it should be reworked to say things when you flip points and kill enemies on points

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Moto42 posted:

Engie: Does nothing but rep the farm of tanks raining hell on an enemy position who are shelling a base for 1 kill every 3 minutes, while not pushing the point.

Infil: Did nothing. but spam recon darts, sucking reloads off that engy's ammo pack. Vastly improving the information the guys in the thick of it have to work with K/D 0/1.

Medic: Rezes that infil who just got plinked by a sniper. Repeat forever.

Light Assault: Spent 3 minutes sneaking into a wierd corner of the battle-field to drop a beacon get shot to death by a Heavy Assault, Master Race.

Galaxy Pilot: Does not exist

Another Infil: Stalker-cloaked, just snuck around hacking turrets and terminals. K/D:0/1.

I made some changes to more accurately represent your average battle in Planetside 2.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Moto42 posted:

Another Engie: Sits in the back of a harasser, eating popcorn with one hand and repping it with the other. K/D 0/1, the gunner and driver rack up far more kills than without constant healing, circling the battlefield, blowing up incoming tanks, and ramping off random terrain.

Get the gently caress out of my harasser backseat and go do something useful. Backseat repairs from Harasser are only for if we're literally on fire. Healing a harasser when you stop takes about two seconds, the only useful purpose someone permanently in the backseat serves is to eat a tank shell for us. If anything it's annoying because we keep having to fumble about with who the gunner is.

quote:

Engie: Does nothing but rep the farm of tanks raining hell on an enemy position. Resulting in more damage and enemy deaths than any 3 HA zerglings. K/D: 0/1, but he did a better job than that 1/1 guy who just rush-rush-rushed.

Go fetch a rep Sundy with walkers, provide some useful AA and spawn points at the same time. One engy will just get run over and doesn't do nearly the healing a Rep Sundy can.

quote:

Infil: Did nothing but spam recon darts, sucking reloads off that engy's ammo pack

Recon darts are poo poo, use a motion spotter.

The only people who should have a 0/1 K/D ratio are people loving over the Skygods, because it's near impossible to get actual kills on pilots doing AA (At best you'll just get the vehicle) but it is gods own work.

Hell I spend my time just driving Harassers and Sunderers and still manage to keep the K/D positive and I don't even have a gun. Beep beep.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fans posted:

Get the gently caress out of my harasser backseat and go do something useful. Backseat repairs from Harasser are only for if we're literally on fire. Healing a harasser when you stop takes about two seconds, the only useful purpose someone permanently in the backseat serves is to eat a tank shell for us. If anything it's annoying because we keep having to fumble about with who the gunner is.

Having an AV max paired with vulcan/saron/majoogler is a tank/sunderer ruining machine, plus when they take a tank shell for you they're still alive afterwards. Plus the driver gets to pull sick drifts to turn the max at enemy armor.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Evilreaver posted:

Having an AV max paired with vulcan/saron/majoogler is a tank/sunderer ruining machine, plus when they take a tank shell for you they're still alive afterwards. Plus the driver gets to pull sick drifts to turn the max at enemy armor.

It's a fun gimmick but not hugely practical due to the limited firing arc in the back seat. At least it isn't an engy though and it doesn't confuse who the gunner is. They did say they wanted to make the backseat a 360 view and I really hope that happens sometimes. :420: 360 No scope Pounder/Vulcan combo of death :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

A Walker Harasser with a Burster MAX in the backseat is 2x as effective as a skyguard as long as you can keep the MAX pointed at the air.

• Locked thread