Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Too Poetic posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Byzantine? I've tried rushing an Alliance with Hungary and Poland with a dip rep advisor and even tried better relations guy to see if it helped. Ottomans always declare before anyone will even consider an alliance. I thought I had a chance when they took a mission to eat serbia but that change to make AI want continuous borders seemed to make them want to kill me first.

Ally wallachia and circassa while you wait for poland or aragon. When I did it I was lucky and piggybacked on austria+hungary waring ottos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Dry Hump posted:

Tip beggar here, does anyone have any good strategies for Mongolia going for The Great Khan? I tend to try to get support for independence from Uzbek, but even after I get free Ming tends to just warn/eat me. I dream of a day of seeing all these exploded Mings I see in this thread happen for me during a game.

It won't help you probably but for my qing run, ming beat up oirat and grabbed a sizable bunch of provinces. This is secretly their doom however cause of the OE RR it brings with it causes all the Chinese minors to revolt at once

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Does anyone have tips for Lübeck? This is my first HRE game since the Cossacks came out, and I've never played in Northern Europe before. It seems you start out with a web of alliances and I'm wary of expanding too quickly (the unlawful imperial territory modifier hurts a lot if you're really small) and I don't think force vassalizing neighbours will work out in my favor. So am I better off annexing my opm neighbours or force vassalizing them?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Deltasquid posted:

Does anyone have tips for Lübeck? This is my first HRE game since the Cossacks came out, and I've never played in Northern Europe before. It seems you start out with a web of alliances and I'm wary of expanding too quickly (the unlawful imperial territory modifier hurts a lot if you're really small) and I don't think force vassalizing neighbours will work out in my favor. So am I better off annexing my opm neighbours or force vassalizing them?

In my Hamburg start I annexed them as opportunities presented themselves - I imagine Hamburg and Lubeck strategies aren't very different. Force vassalizing doesn't give meaningfully lower AE (if at all?), which is going to be your main limiting factor to expansion for the first couple centuries.

You'll want to pick up a good ally to help you out. I went with Brandenburg because they're small enough at the start to be willing to ally you, but can quickly get strong.

My general strategy as Hamburg was to slowly eat my neighbors to the west and, to a lesser extent, south. I only used vassalization a couple times, when someone had cores I could feed them. Otherwise just annex. Cross your fingers and hope no one you want to eat becomes a Free City, since then you will have to fight the emperor. Come to think of it, Lubeck is probably somewhat of a harder start than Hamburg since Hamburg is a natural target but starts as a Free City.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, but Lübeck has cooler models so I want to play as them!

AE actually seems to not be a huge problem. My largest danger is the Emperor demanding me to release unlawful territory and having to eat the 10 revolt risk. I'm sure this problem will sort itself out once I'm a bit larger but I thought vassals could help with their extra manpower.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, but Lübeck has cooler models so I want to play as them!

AE actually seems to not be a huge problem. My largest danger is the Emperor demanding me to release unlawful territory and having to eat the 10 revolt risk. I'm sure this problem will sort itself out once I'm a bit larger but I thought vassals could help with their extra manpower.

If you can secure an alliance with the emperor, they won't demand unlawful territory.

Another strategy is to peace out members of a war individually and stay in the war while the land you get from them finishes coring. The territory isn't considered unlawful if it's cored, and it can only be demanded while you're at peace. You could also declare wars where the only purpose is humiliate/war reps to avoid Call for Peace problems while you core land from another war, but you have to watch your war exhaustion.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 30, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I always just tell the emperor to suck a dick and eat the penalties. AE is bad enough that it's hard to rack up more than one or two unlawful provinces at a time anyway, so it's not that hard to deal with the revolt risk and negative opinion modifiers. Easier than complicated tricks like gaming when you peace out.

Jsor posted:

If you can secure an alliance with the emperor, they won't demand unlawful territory.

As Hamburg, I couldn't get Austria to ally me during the opening phase of the game. By the time I was big enough for them to consider it, they didn't like me since I always rolled with a lot of AE and unlawful territory. I imagine it's similar as Lubeck. I guess it might be possible to buddy up early if you take Diplomatic ideas but that set isn't great.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 30, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Exactly. Austria just scoffs at me. I think I might maybe get an alliance with a weak Bohemia or Brandenburg early on and hope they become emperor but that isn't reliable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

I always just tell the emperor to suck a dick and eat the penalties. AE is bad enough that it's hard to rack up more than one or two unlawful provinces at a time anyway, so it's not that hard to deal with the revolt risk and negative opinion modifiers. Easier than complicated tricks like gaming when you peace out.

As Hamburg, I couldn't get Austria to ally me during the opening phase of the game. By the time I was big enough for them to consider it, they didn't like me since I always rolled with a lot of AE and unlawful territory. I imagine it's similar as Lubeck. I guess it might be possible to buddy up early if you take Diplomatic ideas but that set isn't great.

Province warscore cost reduction, WE cost reduction, and diplo stab hit reduction is bad?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Rivalries dropping instantly sucks. It should be something like that gives a warning and ticks down for a few years so you can get a final humiliation.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Larry Parrish posted:

Province warscore cost reduction, WE cost reduction, and diplo stab hit reduction is bad?

Yeah I feel like I take diplo at some point in the first half of most of my games.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Larry Parrish posted:

I didn't say it was bad, just not great. Warscore cost reduction is nice but it's not that hard to just rack up more warscore. WE isn't that expensive to reduce. Not that many diplo actions implicate stab, especially not as a republic since you don't get royal marriages (remember we are talking about this dude's Lubeck game). It has some solid bonuses but I find it hard to justify taking it when there are so many better idea groups.

That said, the whole point of my initial reference to it was "if you take diplo you might be able to pull off some stuff I wasn't able to," so I'm not saying it's worthless.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Estates are really loving annoying, why did I buy this expansion at full price.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Garfu posted:

I've found them fairly easy to manage and very useful at times :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Warscore cost reduction is nice but it's not that hard to just rack up more warscore.

But you can never exceed 100 war score. That idea means you can grab 25% more in a total surrender.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Diplo lets you truce break like a madman. The one true way to play the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Playing a Merchant Republic (Novgorod) made me realize just how amazingly strong the Clergy are, if nothing else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

To me what's obnoxious about them is that the UI isn't very useful when dealing with them. For example, if I want to give the nobility a province, I'd ideally want to give them a province with high autonomy and a high proportion of manpower that doesn't have a valuable trade good. But I have to flip through three or four different map modes or multiple ledger pages to figure out what the best province would be. It's very tedious, especially once you start to get big.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Those of you playing Hordes - are you Razing every province you get, even if you are going to core it? Not sure if I should raze these 2/2/2 provinces I am taking as Kazan.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bort Bortles posted:

Those of you playing Hordes - are you Razing every province you get, even if you are going to core it? Not sure if I should raze these 2/2/2 provinces I am taking as Kazan.

Yes, because doing so gives you the admin points to core it at a huge discount and expand faster without falling behind on tech

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are a lot of different approaches you can take to razing. The monarch points are almost always worth losing the development, but one thing to keep in mind is that the horde unity you get from razing is wasted if you're already at 100. So one thing you could do is keep a "reserve" of uncored provinces to raze.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

Yes, because doing so gives you the admin points to core it at a huge discount and expand faster without falling behind on tech
Thats what I thought but I wanted to be sure, especially because I started playing on Ironman. Thanks!

Fister Roboto posted:

There are a lot of different approaches you can take to razing. The monarch points are almost always worth losing the development, but one thing to keep in mind is that the horde unity you get from razing is wasted if you're already at 100. So one thing you could do is keep a "reserve" of uncored provinces to raze.
I considered this but I'm the type to core right away, may have to give it a try, even just keeping one province uncored if I will not be able to go to war again soon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

To me what's obnoxious about them is that the UI isn't very useful when dealing with them. For example, if I want to give the nobility a province, I'd ideally want to give them a province with high autonomy and a high proportion of manpower that doesn't have a valuable trade good. But I have to flip through three or four different map modes or multiple ledger pages to figure out what the best province would be. It's very tedious, especially once you start to get big.

That level of micromanagement sounds annoying, I mean it's what you need to do if you want to min/max every last advantage that you can out of the estate systems but it's really not necessary.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Bort Bortles posted:

I make very rare exceptions - I'll avoid razing say trade bonus provinces so's I have more node influence, but otherwise burn away.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fister Roboto posted:

But you can never exceed 100 war score. That idea means you can grab 25% more in a total surrender.

Yeah it has its uses, but that doesn't mean it's not a situational idea set as opposed to a truly top tier one. Remember that the dude was asking about playing Lubeck and I was talking about playing Hamburg. North German minors are limited by AE and Unlawful Territory, not warscore.

I'm not denying that diplo is sometimes useful, but even your example strikes me as a "win more" kind of thing rather than a strong early game pick. Sure, if you've already trashed your opponent, it's cool to be able to bite off more provinces. For one of the first few idea sets, I'd rather have something that lets me field more/better soldiers/mercs or make more money or save me MP - something that will actually help me win a fight.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Garfu posted:

I don't mind them but I was plating as a pirate republic custom nation with a few Caribbean colonies and i swear the uppity bastards were including the colonies that I couldn't physically give them in the minimum amount of development they wanted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Newbie Game 3 as Spain has been going pretty well (previous games were Portugal and England). I've really been enjoying the estate system, and I force-vassalized Portugal but I guess that made stop colonizing things for me, which is a bummer. I swallowed most of North Africa (using a vassal to core the provinces and then integrating the vassal), I got the Iberian wedding and have fully integrated Aragon, and I had to fight 2 wars to keep my PU with Naples.

France is almost completely gone despite taking all of England's continental provinces and despite getting Burgundy for free, their main rivals right now are 6-province Brittany and some other small Germany provinces.

I decided that I'd go for the "become HRE as Spain", but Austria has swallowed huge sections of Germany and is really huge. I still managed to push their poo poo in thanks to help from Poland (and thanks to Quantity), and now I have one of the (currently 4) electors as a vassal. Savoy was my main ally for a long time, but then they decided to ally with someone who I needed to attack so I lost all of my built-up favors. I had spent 10 Favors on the "prepare for war" option, but I'm not sure if that's totally working right now (in a previous war, I told Savoy to Prepare for War and then like 3 months later they declared on someone, in this war they didn't declare on anyone but they weren't willing to join me, but rather were ready to join the other side)

Hey Paradox, I have three suggestions for your really wonderful game:

1) If you have a lot of Favors with someone, please allow those to be spent in the Declare War menu to prevent that ally from joining the other side. So if I'm France allied with Savoy, and I want to attack Austria who are also allied with Savoy, they might otherwise join Austria if I were to attack them; it would be cool if I could spend Favors to prevent this. I'm imagining that you'd have to spend more favors than the other guy has, so in this scenario if Austria had 55 favors with Savoy, to get Savoy to look the other way when I declare war on Austria I'd have to spend at least 65 favors (55 to cancel out all of Austria's favors + an additional 10, or maybe even an additional 20)

2) Could the rivalry system maybe expose its decision-making a little to the player? There were 2-3 different times in this game alone where I was getting ready to go to war with one of my rivals only to have them suddenly drop from my rivalry list. Was it because I was building up my armies? Was it because I was colonizing like crazy? I mean it would have been nice if they had dropped from my list before I spent all of that time and money maxing out my force limit. Well, I'm sure that there's a concern with players trying to game the Rivalry system to get free Power Projection from weakened rivalries, because that's definitely what I want to do. But maybe that's not a bad thing, if you think of it like you would the Mission system, where Rivalries exist to sort of direct your ambition and reward you for attacking someone of comparable size.

3) Further automation in exploration would be nice, either being able to queue up a bunch of already-available exploration missions or having an option to automatically explore like what is done with the 7 Cities of Gold button. Maybe this already exists and I've just missed it, but if it doesn't then it would be a really nice addition.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The idea of spending favors to prevent an ally from being called in is awesome. It's dumb that my trust 100/dozens of favors ally will take the other side in an offensive way I'm declaring against some random guy they just allied.

Spending favors to turn down an ally's call to war would be pretty cool too, but it would have to be expensive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You can already use favors to do that, by calling your ally into some garbage war. Spend 10 favors, they are now allied with you in a war, and so can't be called into wars against you.

Bort Bortles posted:

Burn it all. Compensate for the lost development by conquering more development.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

Hey Paradox, I have three suggestions for your really wonderful game:
It would be nice if the tactics bonus from miltech would get spread out a bit more rather than big chunks at specific levels. It really sucks to get absolutely creamed by someone because they pop ahead of you in tech right after a war starts and then you stand pretty much no chance at winning the war.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm finding that I'd really like a way to queue army movement after finishing a siege, like a shift or ctrl right click action

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PittTheElder posted:

You can already use favors to do that, by calling your ally into some garbage war. Spend 10 favors, they are now allied with you in a war, and so can't be called into wars against you.

This is entirely clunky and being able to burn favours to keep someone at peace with you makes a lot more sense.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Tried my very first Ottoman game today.

Hell is Austria that has inherited Burgundy and Hungary and is allied with Castile, France, and Crimea. Only way it could have been worse was if the Commonwealth had been involved.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Burn it all. Compensate for the lost development by conquering more development.

Ehhh it's not really the same, though. The scenario that you're describing is extremely situational and not always easy to pull off; for the garbage war you need 1) a target that is weak militarily, 2) a CB against that target, 3) that target needs to be geographically close to your ally, and 4) your ally needs to not already have good relations with that target. You can possibly spend an additional 10 favors with Prepare For War to make (4) matter less, but in my experience (3) is a total necessity (Savoy won't ever give a poo poo about your war in Africa, for instance). If (1) is untrue then you're basically throwing away manpower and resources on a big war that you didn't want, which is bad. If (2) is untrue then you take a huge AE and stability penalty.

I would much rather be able to burn all or most of my favors just to keep my ally from joining in a war against me when I'm the aggressor. It also makes a lot more sense to be able to do things this way. The proxy war thing that you're describing feels like cheesing a gameplay system, and I don't like having to do that.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to counteract Agitate for Liberty or do I just have to take it? I feel like it raises Liberty Desire way faster than I can feasibly lower it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The way I counteracted it was to spend 10 minutes looking at the ideas of every country by me to find which fucker took espionage. Then I marched an army by him and was about to declare when it stopped.

I don't know if it was just a coincidence that they stopped doing it then or what but it was kind of cool.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes, everything. Especially the 2/2/2 provinces, those are the best ones to raze because you go positive on admin points when you scorch them and you gain bonuses in everything else.

I just finished a Golden Horde world conquest run in 1790 or something like that. The last one hundred years are just a haze of self-loathing and dogged pursuit of the finish line. I will never do this again. I should have listened to all the people who said not to do this.

p.s. gently caress colonial nations. gently caress them so hard. Especially my own. It would have been less trouble to hold all this land at 100% autonomy and literally gain nothing from it rather than to have to deal with my own terrible colonies and their constant rebellions that they can't suppress because none of them have humanist ideas.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Ithle01 posted:

I just finished a Golden Horde world conquest run in 1790 or something like that. The last one hundred years are just a haze of self-loathing and dogged pursuit of the finish line. I will never do this again. I should have listened to all the people who said not to do this.

Any tips on the last 100? I'm playing about a decade at a time just trucebreaking France and Spain now hoping to inherit their colonial nations but they are both at war with their set right now. Unfortunately Haiti is free (and attacking Kongo) so I've got to deal with that poo poo eventually.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Arzakon posted:

Any tips on the last 100? I'm playing about a decade at a time just trucebreaking France and Spain now hoping to inherit their colonial nations but they are both at war with their set right now. Unfortunately Haiti is free (and attacking Kongo) so I've got to deal with that poo poo eventually.

There is nothing but war. Juggle simultaneous wars in every direction so you're coring land non-stop. Get used to fighting in every direction at once. Make a beeline for forts and capitals and take as much land as fast as you can. Don't bother to 100% anything because it's a waste of time, just stop when you can get what you want (usually about 80-90%). When you take land focus on forts and economic centers to make subsequent wars faster. Find local powers such as Normandy, Galicia, or German princes that take religious ideas and and turn them into vassals that you'll convert to sunni and then feed when you end up over 100% over-extension. Juggle peace deals so you can take enormous amounts of land and feed the ones over 100% to the vassals.

You're going to end up having to conquer the entire new world anyway so get started on that about as soon as you can. And by the way, your colonial nations will have constant rebels so you're going to have to micromanage that constantly - have fun! (you won't have fun. Except for Alaska and Australia all of mine had Internal Conflicts disaster and were loaded with rebels for decades because tribal colonial nations have horrible unrest as you'll discover)

Oh, and you don't have to truce-break that much. I only did it four times and each one was an accident. Unfortunately, none of mine were 'happy' accidents; one was some Italian city-state, another was a German minor, Nogai for a total of 20 development gained in exchange for 500 admin of stability that screwed me out of admin tech 5 for a decade, and the last for the garbage parts of Baluchistan which ended up shutting down coring while I was over-extended mid-war. So basically, you can screw up pretty bad and still pull it off, but here's the best tip you'll get: Don't do this to yourself. It's brain-melting tedium while the circulation in your legs gradually dies because you're too busy staring at the screen micro-managing dumb wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Ithle01 posted:

You're going to end up having to conquer the entire new world anyway so get started on that about as soon as you can. And by the way, your colonial nations will have constant rebels so you're going to have to micromanage that constantly - have fun! (you won't have fun. Except for Alaska and Australia all of mine had Internal Conflicts disaster and were loaded with rebels for decades because tribal colonial nations have horrible unrest as you'll discover)

Is this specific to colonial nations of hordes? What about them makes them full of rebels like that?

• Locked thread