Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Palpy uses up two passenger slots (I think?), so you cant have him and Vader on a shuttle.

That's a decimator. It has 3 crew slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oicunn is a Decimator pilot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finster Dexter posted:

So, how in the hell are they not getting nuked for Star Wars Rebellion? "It has models, therefore it's not a board game" except that's exactly what it is. There's no mistaking it.

e: Even FFG calls it a board game.
I guess they managed to broaden the terms of the contract since IA came out. The IA problems were a whole back.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Palpy uses up two passenger slots (I think?), so you cant have him and Vader on a shuttle.

But you can have him and Vader on a Decimator. Or my personal favorite, Palpy and Moff Jerjerodd on a Decimator.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

You're using an outdated version of the FAQ (March 27 versus September 4). That said, the R2 Astromech ruling is in both, and is still dumb in both.

Something I did not notice until just now: if you clip multiple asteroids or debris fields, you suffer the effects of multiple asteroids or debris fields. Very bottom of page 15.

The R2 makes maneuvers green, not maneuvers on your dial green. Makes perfect sense. Whether it was intentional or not, the way they ruled fits what the card actually says.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder - how would they even do a The Force Awakens expansion set? As much as I liked the movie, the starfighter scenes, and the effects, TFA only actually features X-Wings for the Resistance side (well, that and the Falcon); unless FFG plans on releasing the Millennium Falcon with a new radar dish and a "Black Leader" T-70 paint scheme, there's really nothing to make until Rogue One or Episode VIII comes out, right? And making a "new" Falcon/YT-1300 just to swap the dish - like, even if you threw in a cool new T-70, the T-70 expansion already exists? I guess what I'm saying is that there's really not enough to work with just from Episode VII to do much else with the miniatures game.

To that end I'm still having the better half paint one of my T-70's black and orange.

Does FFG ever do supplements that are just cards/templates for existing ships? I'd be okay spending a few bucks at the game shop just to get a Rey card for the YT-1300 with Finn crew upgrades, or getting a Poe/Finn version of the Special Forces TIE, or something.

I could see them releasing 2 large ships for each faction General Leia's Transport (it has a guns) and Kylo Ren's shuttle with cards for converting existing ships to TFA factions. This way you could have the Rey piloted Falcon and Finn crew cards without selling the Falcon with the new dish. Also I think it would have been more interesting to release Poe with a black painted T-70 and have it come out alongside the Special Forces two-seater as the first expansions.

vvvv A Resistance Poe pilot card for the Tie:SF would be just the best.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 30, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, to some extent it's a shame that Poe already came out because 'the two ships he actually piloted in the film' would make a natural expansion pack together, despite one of them being of the opposite faction in-game. I'm not sure FFG did the best they could with the material available, it might have been better to arrange to release the f/a pack after the film came out and actually put some film material in it, but save Poe til a separate pack of his own.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, to some extent it's a shame that Poe already came out because 'the two ships he actually piloted in the film' would make a natural expansion pack together, despite one of them being of the opposite faction in-game. I'm not sure FFG did the best they could with the material available, it might have been better to arrange to release the f/a pack after the film came out and actually put some film material in it, but save Poe til a separate pack of his own.

No, I think Poe Dameron in the TFA Core Set was the only correct call. The names of Poe, Fin, Rey, Commander Phasma, and Kylo Ren were already out for promotional reasons. They needed a named pilot, and couldn't spoiler any other names. That's why we got "Red Ace" (and I'm not really happy with that as a unique pilot name). I hope we see the Black Leader paint job as a tag-along in a future Hooge ship, but I think it WAS the correct call from FFG/Didney's side.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is HLC the ideal choice? If you're at range one then B's ability is useless.

It's true, but you gain a significant advantage at r2-3. There's also not a ton of other things for those points to do, unless you're willing to play PS6 brobots.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Panzeh posted:

It's true, but you gain a significant advantage at r2-3. There's also not a ton of other things for those points to do, unless you're willing to play PS6 brobots.

I've got a friend that runs them with Outmaneuver, which is terrifying when you're being shot at with a target locked HLC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The weird thing to me is that Poe gets an ability in-line with all of the (non-Imperial) force sensitive pilots; he can change eyeballs.

But he's not force sensitive in the movie at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

The weird thing to me is that Poe gets an ability in-line with all of the (non-Imperial) force sensitive pilots; he can change eyeballs.

Give him time...

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ConfusedUs posted:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau does that and I don't think he's a secret force user. Is this minor detail even worth spoiler tags?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Vader doesn't fit that either.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Or Corran Horn.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Strobe posted:

Or Corran Horn.

Only people with <skill> are Force-users but not all Force users have <skill>

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Drone posted:

Only people with <skill> are Force-users but not all Force users have <skill>

Chirenau. :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

But that's not true either, as shown before with RAC.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Are we still spoilering TFA stuff/speculation? I still think some kind of "aces" style pack with the Black One paintjob is a shoe-in down the line. Maybe with that small heavilly modified B-Wing shuttle design. It doesn't matter that Poe was in the core set. For one, there's room in the design space for variant versions of a unique named character, with plenty of pilot/crew or astromech/crew. There's even precedent for two variant versions of a unique named pilot (Hera Syndulla).

Even if they don't do another Poe, there's precedent for doing the guy's special paintjob without him even if the guy was in an unadorned expansion ship already. Soontir was in the plain Jane Tie Interceptor expansion, but to field him in his iconic blood striped Interceptor you either needed a steady hand with a brush or to pick up the Aces pack.

I'm confident enough we're going to see Black One down the line I'm not going to bother doing my own repaint. I don't need two of 'em.

I'm about 50/50 on whether the Falcon is going to be a cardboard component pack-in like with S&V, or a new model with the dish mod. I'm maybe leaning a bit more towards the model, because they know we'll buy it.

Hell, when there was a niche without a canonical/EU ship FFG got with Disney/LFL and made one, so I doubt they're not going to exploit every possible angle to get toot toot on the Force Awakens Money Train.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If the new Falcon isn't its own ship I will be shocked, because that's basically FFG making GBS threads on a pile of money and walking away.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think they'll do a pack with Poe's T-70 and the Tie with a crew slot, and throw in a Rey pilot card for the Falcon as well as a Finn crew card. If they do a new Falcon, it would be a double pack with the Falcon/T-70 and no new Tie

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

I'd like to run a demo game for two friends at work. I have the ships from three starters, a TFE starter, a Lambda shuttle and a TIE Defender.

I'm relatively new to the game so I'm not sure what to suggest for a first game, maybe a 'kill the shuttle' mission and give each of the new guys an Xwing ace and a generic squadron pilot versus a small TIE swarm?

I walked into a big Canadian chain bookstore and saw a stack of starters sitting in a 20% off pile, with a price reduction to $25CDN on top of that. $22 taxes in out the door.

I just bought three more starters. Looks like I can run a TIE swarm pretty easily now.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I can't see FFG not doing the black-themed X-Wing eventually, but really they have a lot of future movies and time to draw from. Even if they decided to do it now, how long would it take for the ship to actually materialize?

I do think that a cross-faction package with a black T-70 and a SF Tie would be pretty awesome though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Gate posted:

The R2 makes maneuvers green, not maneuvers on your dial green. Makes perfect sense. Whether it was intentional or not, the way they ruled fits what the card actually says.

Wait, so if say, you do a boost, since it is a 1 manuver, does that count as green?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, so if say, you do a boost, since it is a 1 manuver, does that count as green?

Boosts aren't maneuvers, they are actions that have you use a maneuver template. Daredevil is explicitly a maneuver.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
With TFA talk, it seems that a TIE/sf would have a crew slot, warhead launcher, tech spot, and a turret weapon. I wonder how many points that would be? As far as packs go, I'd like to see a Black Leader with TIE pack too. It'd be nice to have some different T70 Pilots too.

For the T70, I've had fun running it with Poe and two generic Mook Red Squadron Veterans, but I thought it was weird that those ships had EPT but the new ace didn't.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holybat posted:

With TFA talk, it seems that a TIE/sf would have a crew slot, warhead launcher, tech spot, and a turret weapon. I wonder how many points that would be?.

Probably about what a Y-Wing costs. Maybe a bit more. Ys have most of the things you mentioned there and have lots of HP.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I've usually seen double brobot lists with a HLC on one and a Mangler on the other

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Archenteron posted:

I've usually seen double brobot lists with a HLC on one and a Mangler on the other

There was a weird one at worlds that had feedback array and stuff. It did pretty well iirc.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Holybat posted:

With TFA talk, it seems that a TIE/sf would have a crew slot, warhead launcher, tech spot, and a turret weapon. I wonder how many points that would be? As far as packs go, I'd like to see a Black Leader with TIE pack too. It'd be nice to have some different T70 Pilots too.

For the T70, I've had fun running it with Poe and two generic Mook Red Squadron Veterans, but I thought it was weird that those ships had EPT but the new ace didn't.

2 Attack, 3 Agility, 3 Hull, 1 Shield, action bar has evade, barrel roll, focus, target lock, same dial as the TIE/fo, add auxiliary fire arc, missile upgrade slot, cannon upgrade slot. No PS 1 pilot, 20 points for PS 2.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TKIY posted:

I walked into a big Canadian chain bookstore and saw a stack of starters sitting in a 20% off pile, with a price reduction to $25CDN on top of that. $22 taxes in out the door.

Which and where?!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My gimmick variant on the list is B&C both with PtL, Fire Control System, Autothruster, title. B with mangler, C with HLC and feedback.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Strobe posted:

2 Attack, 3 Agility, 3 Hull, 1 Shield, action bar has evade, barrel roll, focus, target lock, same dial as the TIE/fo, add auxiliary fire arc, missile upgrade slot, cannon upgrade slot. No PS 1 pilot, 20 points for PS 2.

Yeah definately auxiliary arc rather than full turret. Sure maybe it can technically traverse 360, but we all remember how that worked out for Dr. Henry Jones Sr.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

But how do you put an aux arc on a small based ship? It's too small.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Actually, I think we'd see a TIE/sf with an added warhead launcher and rear aux arc. I don't think they'll get a full turret.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

bunnyofdoom posted:

But how do you put an aux arc on a small based ship? It's too small.

You get rid of the numbers on there that no one has ever looked at?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Yeah aux turret is more what I was thinking, the forward and back facing firing arcs. Still working on nomenclature :eng99:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Strobe posted:

Is "mag pulse" a slang term for ion cannon?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Madurai posted:

Is "mag pulse" a slang term for ion cannon?

No idea, but he also specifically mentions cannons which is good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It's a weapon from TIE fighter

• Locked thread