Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Earwicker posted:

are you saying that things like "pig costume" and "escaping getting raped by malcolm x in a jazz club restroom by climbing down the toilet" are things that make a book sound good? because that makes it sound like some kind of alt history scifi garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's not why the book is good though. Good books can have clone hitlers and supermen, but those shouldn't be the primary selling points.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The boring summary actually makes it seem decently interesting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Earwicker posted:

Maybe I don't know what it means to be a person either, but just to be clear, what does it mean to be a person, according to you?

If I could explain it eloquently in a few sentences I would be too busy polishing my nobel prize to post about it online

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Cloks posted:

The boring summary actually makes it seem decently interesting.

if it works for you, it's cool. i just wanted to let people know that it's not a generic family saga about the sufferings of Eastern Europe, but i guess i didn't stress the right things. welp,

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gaiman is probably cool to read if you're 17 years old or something

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

Mallamp, confirm/deny

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Mallamp, confirm/deny

blue squares has ascended to top-tier

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A human heart posted:

Neil gaiman writes cool fairy tales and sometimes accidentally tries to write a book for adults that isn't so cool.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Tao Lin is cooler

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
idk what mortal kombat has to do with books

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mortal Kombat: The Novelization IV confirmed January BOTM

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mallamp posted:

Mortal Kombat: The Novelization IV confirmed January BOTM

I was thinking the novelization of the new lego game for Star Wars: Force Awakens

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
I finished Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses a day ago and I still can't stop thinking about how great it was: as a retelling of Othello but exploring how someone can become an Iago, and identity crises wrt being an immigrant. As a chaser to The Blind Owl (for I guess last year's booklord challenge), that was some serious compare/contrast wrt portrayals of madness.

Are Rushdie's other books worth digging into? Any other books like Satanic Verses to recommend?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

saphron posted:

I finished Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses a day ago and I still can't stop thinking about how great it was: as a retelling of Othello but exploring how someone can become an Iago, and identity crises wrt being an immigrant. As a chaser to The Blind Owl (for I guess last year's booklord challenge), that was some serious compare/contrast wrt portrayals of madness.

Are Rushdie's other books worth digging into? Any other books like Satanic Verses to recommend?

Shame is extremely good IMO. It's more focused and less surreal than The Satanic Verses, but just as much worth reading. Sort of an allegorical modern history of Pakistan.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

saphron posted:

How well do I have to know the quran before reading Satanic Verses?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Beyond sane knolls posted:

How well do I have to know the quran before reading Satanic Verses?

You don't really need to know it at all, everything is pretty well explained within the context of the book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

saphron posted:

Try "Joseph Anton"

It's his memoirs about going into hiding after writing the Satanic Verses

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Shame is extremely good IMO. It's more focused and less surreal than The Satanic Verses, but just as much worth reading. Sort of an allegorical modern history of Pakistan.

Definitely going to look this up, thanks!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Try "Joseph Anton"

It's his memoirs about going into hiding after writing the Satanic Verses

...oh snap. Thanks for bringing that up, will read.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I really liked both Midnight Children and Fury. MC is more magical and layered, whereas Fury is much more straightforward and, well, angry. It also attracts nice reviews like: "an irredeemable piece of garbage that's sloppy and uninteresting, filled with trite observations and vapid, transparent characters bumbling around in a lame social satire that amounts to nothing deeper or insightful than whatever you and your friends might say about celebrity culture while watching "Entertainment Tonight""" so you can like it and feel contrarian

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
IDK if this is the right thread for this, but hell, seems like it, what's a good place to start with Flann O'Brien?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
At Swim-Two-Birds.

E: on second thought, it's a challenging work if you're not Irish / familiar with Irish legends and Irish literature / Catholic. It's his masterpiece, though, and really funny and just an overall delight.* It's a story nested inside a story nested inside a story, where characters come to life and torment their author with the help of a good-natured evil spirit and legendary hero Finn MacCool. One of my very favorite books.

Maybe The Third Policeman would be a better introduction? (I've never read it :ssh: but it's highly praised). The Poor Mouth is a great satire of the woeful memoirs popular in Ireland at the time, also worth your time.

If you still want to read At Swim-Two-Birds and you're not familiar with the things I listed above, at the very least, get your hands on A Celtic Miscellany and skim through it, so you can recognize the passages where O'Brien is satirizing the language of legend. (Plus, it's interesting in its own right.)

*Then again, I'm reading Moby Dick now and finding it really funny and just an overall delight, so maybe my perception is off.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 2, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
What long book should I read next:

Gravity's Rainbow
Moby Dick
War and Peace

First reply wins

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gravity's Rainbow

Don't worry if you don't understand everything. Just take your time and keep going. It starts to make more sense when section 2 starts

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Unnecessarily seconding GR, it's an amazing book

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Cool, I've read Lot 49 so I kinda know what to expect (I presume).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Moby Dick summary

-There is a boat
-nothing happens
-a whale smashes it

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
OK here's a question: Odyssey or Iliad?

Just finished the latter and I don't rate it anywhere near as highly as the former.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Moby Dick summary

-There is a boat
-nothing happens
-a whale smashes it

the beginning is great, before they get on the boat.

the_homemaster posted:

Cool, I've read Lot 49 so I kinda know what to expect (I presume).

Not at all. It's on a whole 'nother level

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 3, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

OK here's a question: Odyssey or Iliad?

Just finished the latter and I don't rate it anywhere near as highly as the former.

Iliad is better
Aeneid is also good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

the beginning is great, before they get on the boat.

Glad I am not the only one who thought that. First 100 pages were great and then whoops whale penis for the next 400 pages.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Rabbit Hill posted:

*Then again, I'm reading Moby Dick now and finding it really funny and just an overall delight, so maybe my perception is off.

No, you're right on the money. Flann O'Brien is the funniest author I've ever read. The Best of Myles had me in tears in the middle of a plane flight.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Moby Dick summary

-There is a boat
-nothing happens
-a whale smashes it

The parts where 'nothing happens' are the best though.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
All of Moby-Dick is surprisingly cool, so you should read it.

Also, get the version with the Rockwell Kent illustrations, it's way more worth it than the Norton Critical edition with the stuffy-rear end essays at the end.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've started war and peace, and love it. tfw mansplaining was first described by tolstoy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

All of Moby-Dick is surprisingly cool, so you should read it.

Also, get the version with the Rockwell Kent illustrations, it's way more worth it than the Norton Critical edition with the stuffy-rear end essays at the end.

Essays are good, the more academic the better.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

ulvir posted:

I've started war and peace, and love it. tfw mansplaining was first described by tolstoy

White males did everything, is there no end to their superiority?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

A human heart posted:

Essays are good, the more academic the better.
were all better served by looking at cool pictures of queequeg shaving:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Queequeg looking "devilishly" handsome there..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Moby Dick summary

-There is a boat
-nothing happens
-a whale smashes it

Sounds like this guy doesn't appreciate sperm the way I do