Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I had the title line in OGW. Ugin is teaching Jace how to fight phyrexia, and I walk by and I go, "Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these oaths of the gatewatch"

You're now my favorite poster in the magic thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
They should keyword different types of flavor text so they don't have to write them out each time.

Juvenilia (This card's flavor text was written by a 12-year-old trying to sound cool in an AOL roleplay chatroom, circa 1995.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

stinkles1112 posted:

I wish they would print some playable Eldrazi aggro guys at a CMC of something other than three. Like we've got Herald of Kozilek, Wasteland Strangler, Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Molten Nursery, now this guy, plus I want Kolaghan's Command and Exquisite Firecraft, and I want all of those cards to be in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I just know is gonna be a thing.

Then to curve out ahead of all that you have... Sludge Crawler and Forerunner of Slaughter, which wants to be a three drop half the time too

There's the new 2/1 that borrows stats for a turn, which is totally playable when you expect to be slamming bigger creatures every turn from there.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Angry Grimace posted:

The Gaddock Teeg buyout seems like the most :mtgfinance: buyout in recent memory that isn't Storm World.
I think most Esper control decks are still dragons builds - I've seen a few running D. Dromoka even.

As a random aside related to that deck, I stopped playing Dragonlord Silumgar a while back and just stuck with 4 Ojutai and 1-2 Drifting Death because Ob Nixilis continually outperforms Silumgar because they'd kill my dude and get their guy back, leaving me 6 mana down, where Ob Nixilis is often harder to interact with and tends to just win if you untap with him.

I've been singing the praises of Drifting Death a whole bunch, I'm surprised he doesn't see more play. I also run Languish main in my version so Ojutai's not quite as attractive to me. Never liked Silumgar much for the very reason you mention-they kill him, get their guy back, and you've essentially spent a turn doing nothing. He handles Gideon pretty well though. I'm also a fan of Ob Nixilis-he's not particularly flashy but he does a lot of work if he sticks around at all.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah that guy is probably good enough but what I'd really like to see is another decent one drop to stick a turn two Ghostfire Blade on. In an ideal world they'll give me a devoid 2/1 for 1

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

They should keyword different types of flavor text so they don't have to write them out each time.

Juvenilia (This card's flavor text was written by a 12-year-old trying to sound cool in an AOL roleplay chatroom, circa 1995.)

at least the truly putrid names have largely vanished I think

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

alansmithee posted:

I've been singing the praises of Drifting Death a whole bunch, I'm surprised he doesn't see more play. I also run Languish main in my version so Ojutai's not quite as attractive to me. Never liked Silumgar much for the very reason you mention-they kill him, get their guy back, and you've essentially spent a turn doing nothing. He handles Gideon pretty well though. I'm also a fan of Ob Nixilis-he's not particularly flashy but he does a lot of work if he sticks around at all.

I have won more games with Ob Nixilis's ultimate than any other Planeswalker's ultimate simply because a control deck that's ticking him up is almost impossible to beat.

Of course, there's also the funny mirror match Ob Nixilis issue where D. Silumgar himself interacts with Ob Nixilis in funny ways because you're sitting there with no creatures on board and someone with a Nixilis out has to stop using it at 7 because of the concern that your opponent will use Silumgar to steal it at 8 and then ultimate it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elyv posted:

Dude, "Pia and Kiran Nalaar" exists

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah that guy is probably good enough but what I'd really like to see is another decent one drop to stick a turn two Ghostfire Blade on. In an ideal world they'll give me a devoid 2/1 for 1

Agreed. Sludge Crawler's pump is good enough to get some utility out of it but there's really not much else going on in one mana.

The deck is also really dependent on whether or not you draw a Ghostfire Blade.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stinkles1112 posted:

That isn't even close to the offensiveness of some of their bullshit made-up fantasy names.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

stinkles1112 posted:

I don't think that legends representing a pair of individuals ever comes off looking well, really. You can obviously get away with single-individual legends and you can get away with large unified groups like the ghost council, or even triads who are implied to have something weird going on, like Sen Triplets. But with two characters who are obviously intended to be distinct in terms of individuality, personality, etc. it's like why didn't you just make two cards?

Same deal with Tibor and Lumia, and with Anaxaskasdfjksd and Cymeasdfkmsd the Therosian couple whose name I can't be arsed to look up right now

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

I don't think that legends representing a pair of individuals ever comes off looking well, really. You can obviously get away with single-individual legends and you can get away with large unified groups like the ghost council, or even triads who are implied to have something weird going on, like Sen Triplets. But with two characters who are obviously intended to be distinct in terms of individuality, personality, etc. it's like why didn't you just make two cards?

Same deal with Tibor and Lumia, and with Anaxaskasdfjksd and Cymeasdfkmsd the Therosian couple whose name I can't be arsed to look up right now

Anthrax and Cyanide

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

That would be about 80% of flavor text at this point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Pia and Kiran aren't even terrible names. If anything the only thing wrong there is the mild implication that real Indian names are basically the the same as made-up fantasy names.

It's basically the Indian equivalent of making a card called Pam and Kyle Jones.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Idk Liliana is a Real name, if uncommon

I guess the fact thats the only real english name i can think of is telling

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Niton posted:

Anthrax and Cyanide

Ajax and Cyamede.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Gideon. I've met Jaces before.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Entropic posted:

Pia and Kiran aren't even terrible names. If anything the only thing wrong there is the mild implication that real Indian names are basically the the same as made-up fantasy names.

It's basically the Indian equivalent of making a card called Pam and Kyle Jones.

I love Pia and Kiran because everyone just calls them Mom n Dad or Mom n Pop. I cast lightning bolt on your Mom n Dad. Sacrifice your Mom n Dad. etc

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ Anyone who doesn't call them Helicopter Parents is wrong.

Elspeth is a real name of Scottish origin, that's sort of close to English.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Yawgmoth posted:

Elspeth is a real name of Scottish origin, that's sort of close to English.

My friend's (adult) sister is named Elspeth. Chandra is also a real name, but not for that complexion.

Freya(lise) isn't that far from a real name.

And Kiora got her original name changed because they accidentally named her after a Maori religious phrase :lol:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
gimme my cyber bucks http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13033

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The feel bads in JPG form

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jace, Gideon, Chandra, Liliana, Gerrard, Hannah

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

...most of the humanoid Planeswalkers have real names, just some of them are archaic like Gideon (Hebrew), Nyssa (Hebrew), Elspeth (a Scottish variant on "Elizabeth"). Liliana, Chandra and Jace are all real names that still see some use. Ironically, I imagine the most popular of those names in English is "Jace," there's a ton of 10 year old kids running around named "Jace."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

This is a perfect image. You can look at this single picture, and know every single thing that happened in the game. It's like poetry.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

My friend's (adult) sister is named Elspeth. Chandra is also a real name, but not for that complexion.
Everything about Chandra's plane is kinda Indian flavoured except Chandra herself.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Gideon. I've met Jaces before.

oh duh, i even knew a gideon that was a dumb one to forget.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Jace, Gideon, Chandra, Liliana, Gerrard, Hannah

Chandra's Indian tho, that was his original point. and I don't count Hannah or Gerrard since those characters were made years ago and i think we were talking the last few years

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

You'd think if your opponent Entombs a Massacre Wurm t1, it might be a better idea to wait on going balls out on young pyro/empty the warrens fun times until you can counter whatever reanimate spell is obviously coming.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

You'd think if your opponent Entombs a Massacre Wurm t1, it might be a better idea to wait on going balls out on young pyro/empty the warrens fun times until you can counter whatever reanimate spell is obviously coming.

they probably entombed at end of turn?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mince Pieface posted:

they probably entombed at end of turn?

Almost certainly the case

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Entomb is an instant. Player 2 played Turn 1 swamp, passed. Then Player 1 vomited tokens. End of turn, Player 2 taps the swamp, entombs Massacre Wurm; then turn 2, play a second swamp, Raise Dead the Massacre Wurm, game ends.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 30, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
There's also not any interaction in that graveyard or hand for the storm player so they didn't have any decisions to make, nobody played any magic that game

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
poo poo, I totally blanked on Entomb being an instant. That makes much more sense now!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

UberJew posted:

There's also not any interaction in that graveyard or hand for the storm player so they didn't have any decisions to make, nobody played any magic that game

What are you even talking about? That was a loving shitload of Magic compressed into 3 turns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Shabadu posted:

I love Pia and Kiran because everyone just calls them Mom n Dad or Mom n Pop. I cast lightning bolt on your Mom n Dad. Sacrifice your Mom n Dad. etc

If you're not calling them "Mom and Thop" or "Helicopter Parents" you're doing it wrong.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Angry Grimace posted:

That was a loving shitload of Solitaire compressed into 3 turns.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
numot got an mtg tatoo?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 30, 2015

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Elyv posted:

I'm sorry, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings is the exact sort of stupid name that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

UberJew posted:

The reanimate guy had to pick the right creature to Entomb I guess???

• Locked thread